PDA

View Full Version : Capital Punishment

:dallsgreen
02-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Are you for it or against it?

/Rossco\
02-10-2006, 12:35 PM
actually i cahnge my mind. i'm against
i think there can be worse punishments for the worst crimes than death.

Charlie
02-10-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm agaisnt it, i think their is other suitable punishment for the crimes that are done. But, i guess some of the capital punishments are okay for certain crimes.

Does that make sense?

-Soph-
02-10-2006, 12:48 PM
For it as long as its used in the right way.

DCeption
02-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes, but only for murders, an eye for an eye

Memmish
02-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Many prisoners try to commit suicide, they would rather die than think about what they did. Thats why im not sure if i agree with the death sentance because its like an easier option for them, however i dont agree with these people that get "life sentances" and get out in about 20 years and often reoffend.

I'm not sure really, some people do such terrible crimes that its much better for the world if they are given the lethal injection. One argument for capital punishment is that tax payers are paying to house and look after all these criminals the death sentace stops that.

Kymux
02-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Who are we to take or save somebody's life? I believe in my personal, psychologic and philosophical opinium we are not to take somebody's life for his or her's sins. Why should anybody have the athority to go 'Your to die,' or 'Ohh we will keep you alive,'

Why should we be able to. I believe to be killed as a result of the court of law is an outrage and should be stopped in continuas countries.

America crated it and most likely America will ban iut, like usual.

Sazzle
02-10-2006, 03:15 PM
for it, in extreme cases. nowadays people have it well easy in prison, like when there was that picture of that perv in prison playing on a playstation. a lot of people prefer it in prison, because they don't have to pay for anything and they get all that they need. so its not much of a punishment really. so in really extreme cases such as murder, than yes im for it

iluvhelen
02-10-2006, 03:19 PM
dno what it is

Herman
02-10-2006, 03:25 PM
dno what it is
A death sentence.

I believe no one should have the right to take away someone else's life even though they did something bad. It's a no for me, really. Unless, unless it's seriously bad like terrorism.

iluvhelen
02-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I do then.

[Thanks Herman]

-Soph-
02-10-2006, 03:29 PM
dno what it is

Death sentance

Grindie
02-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm for, but I really can't be bothered to argue with you guys, the debate is so long...

-:Undertaker:-
02-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Im for it, people who say their against it wouldn't be saying "Dont kill the Muderers and Rapists" if it happend to a Family member in their own family.

alexxxxx
02-10-2006, 04:25 PM
No. I believe it's wrong, what if they were innocent?

RedStratocas
02-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Against it, for a few reasons. One, it's hypocritical. "We're going to fry your brains out, thatll show you not to kill people!". Its like spanking a child as punishment for hitting someone. And two, there is no set rule, the death penalty punishment is completely out of wack. Someone who kills 1 person could be sentenced to death, while someone who kills 6 could be sentenced to life in prison. There is no rule or guide that says this law broken = death.

And also, because MANY times an innocent person gets it. They found in an Ohio study that 1/3 of the cases for a death penalty sentence had a flaw.

Mentor
02-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Im againinst it for the simple reason i DONT KILL PEOPLE. Supporting it is little better than becomeing a serial killer yourself, Or at least accessory to it. Since your simply helping and supporting the "state" to kill deffencless people...

The problem is with the crapy prison sentances now days, and the fact it seems to have been forgotten that prison is a punishment, life should actualty mean life, and prison should be harsher. But Sinking to the level of the people in them isnt a particaly good way to go about it "/

Im for it, people who say their against it wouldn't be saying "Dont kill the Muderers and Rapists" if it happend to a Family member in their own family.
Murders and rapests have familys too, should they then get to kill you? becuse at this rate where gona end up with the population whiped out, if you follow an eye for an eye, the hole world will go blind, as gandi put it "/

FlyingJesus
02-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Who are we to take or save somebody's life? I believe in my personal, psychologic and philosophical opinium we are not to take somebody's life for his or her's sins. Why should anybody have the athority to go 'Your to die,' or 'Ohh we will keep you alive,'

If we don't have the authority to take life, how do we have authority to lock people up? I know it's not the same thing, but my point is that sometimes people have to take up authority "just because".

Why should we be able to. I believe to be killed as a result of the court of law is an outrage and should be stopped in continuas countries.

What? I don't think that made any sense.

America didn't create it, capital punishment had been around millennia before America had been founded.

Jamie!
02-10-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm both for and against it. Imagine the uproar though if they executed an innocent person though?

FlyingJesus
02-10-2006, 10:46 PM
In the UK the law is "innocent until proven guilty", so that's not likely. In America they have "guilty until proven innocent", which is why their prisons and morgues are full of innocent people.

-sFusion-
02-10-2006, 10:59 PM
If used correctly then yeah.

Mentor
02-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok, So you want to pay killers to kill other killers? Giving the state power to murder isnt a particaly good idea in my opinion "/

If everyone is killed for killing someone else, your gona run out of liveing people...

:dallsgreen
03-10-2006, 02:04 AM
You can't really be for and against capital punishment, because a country can't just use it every once in a while. I'm against it, I don't think criminals should be killed, why not put them back to work for society? Keep them in jail but make them pay their debt back to society. I'm especially against it because innocent people are killed, there's nothing you can do if they're convicted but atleast don't put them to death. Also as someone mentioned the US didn't start capital punishment, many other countries had capital punishment long before, and many other countries have more severe forms of executions.

:Hazel
03-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure because there are some scumbags who derserve to be killed off however if someone is wrongly convicted as it has been proved before you have just killed someone innocent which is obviously wrong.

PhunkySponge
03-10-2006, 03:17 PM
for it! but only in the right conditions.

LIKE WE SHOULD CUT OFF THERE GENITALS SO THEY CAN'T RAEPE AGAIN?

03-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Ok, So you want to pay killers to kill other killers? Giving the state power to murder isnt a particaly good idea in my opinion "/

If everyone is killed for killing someone else, your gona run out of liveing people...

You wont run out of living people :rolleyes: , Not everyone goes around killing, also you cant say "Oh we don't have the right to kill other people" well they brought it on themselves - If you dont want to die - THEN DONT KILL PEOPLE !

FlyingJesus
03-10-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure because there are some scumbags who derserve to be killed off however if someone is wrongly convicted as it has been proved before you have just killed someone innocent which is obviously wrong.

In the UK the law is "innocent until proven guilty", so that's not likely. In America they have "guilty until proven innocent", which is why their prisons and morgues are full of innocent people.

... ...

ReviewDude
03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
I go by:

Do we **** rapists? Do we burn down the houses of arsonists? Beat down those that assault others?

No. Of course we don't. We're doing exactly what we're preaching against. It is (like someone said earlier) smacking a child for hitting someone else.

Also, again as others have said, there's no way to 100% prove someone did it, and it's far better to spend a few years in prison and get released, than to die.

I'm proud to be British, and proud that we don't practice what is, essentially, institutionalised murder.

EDIT: Stupid filter. I'm sure you can guess what goes there...

FlyingJesus
03-10-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm British and proud, hence why I'd like there to be as little rapists and murderers about. Also there are plenty of petty criminals out and around, because prisons are too full for them to be locked away. Under a regime of capital punishment there would be space to put other criminals, and there would be less street crime.

RedStratocas
03-10-2006, 07:10 PM

Actually we do have "innocent until proven guilty"

I'm both for and against it. Imagine the uproar though if they executed an innocent person though?

It happens much more often than you think. And there is nothing the families can do about it, cant sue, nothing.

Mentor
03-10-2006, 11:22 PM
You wont run out of living people :rolleyes: , Not everyone goes around killing, also you cant say "Oh we don't have the right to kill other people" well they brought it on themselves - If you dont want to die - THEN DONT KILL PEOPLE !
sorry i gave you the credit of being able to comprihend simple logic.

Serial killer murder victim
Person A now has to kill serial killer.
Person b now has to kill person A becuse they killed
Person C now has to kill person B
Person D now has to kill person C
Etc etc?

o.0 Any clearer now?

I'm British and proud, hence why I'd like there to be as little rapists and murderers about. Also there are plenty of petty criminals out and around, because prisons are too full for them to be locked away. Under a regime of capital punishment there would be space to put other criminals, and there would be less street crime.

Death pentalty in the us for exsample costs ONE HELL OF ALOT MORE than keeping someone in presion for life.
Giving one person the death penalty can actually cost more than building an entire prison from scratch as well as staffing it for a few decades in some cases...

BL!NKEY
03-10-2006, 11:35 PM

How the *#$% did you get that fact?

It has always been innocent until proven guilty in the USA

And I dont agree with capital punishment because if you really did something bad (Osama or Sadam) you should be tortured for the rest of you life instead of having it easy and dying.

edit:

Giving one person the death penalty can actually cost more than building an entire prison from scratch as well as staffing it for a few decades in some cases...

Really?

How could this be true.

I know it takes a while before they are killed and you have to pay the attournies and stuff but I dont understand how It could cost that much.

Explain please.

Mentor
03-10-2006, 11:37 PM

And I dont agree with capital punishment because if you really did something bad (Osama or Sadam) you should be tortured for the rest of you life instead of having it easy and dying.
If you did that are you realy any better than Osama yourself...

BL!NKEY
03-10-2006, 11:47 PM
If you did that are you realy any better than Osama yourself...

Well that last post by me was not totally serious.

But I think that it is important to use the death penalty for criminals who have truly done something bad and are no question the right person.

Like ones who have been to jail for 10 years and gotton out and killed more people.

The world doesnt need them and all they want to do it kill others.

It is also good to set an example to the other criminals that you wont be treated lightly if you murder others.

About Osama...

If we find him and capture him what do you think we should do with him?

If he is in jail he should never get out.

The thing about torture was brought up in one of my classes about the secret US prisions in the middle east and europe where they tourtured terrorists to try to get information to save lifes of innocent people.

That is a whole nother topic but if anyone is interested I can find an article and make another thread.

RedStratocas
04-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Death pentalty in the us for exsample costs ONE HELL OF ALOT MORE than keeping someone in presion for life.

He's right actually. It depends on the state, but many times an execution costs more than to keep them alive in jail.

samsaBEAR
04-10-2006, 07:56 PM
For it 100%, people murder and get away with a 'life' prison sentence, which in reality is 25 years. They've ended another's life and they only get max 25 years in a room? They should be killed in exactly the same way they murdered the victim

Sarah.
04-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm for it, I think the crime rate would go down.

FlyingJesus
04-10-2006, 09:49 PM

I was just going by how there never seems to be enough conclusive evidence in big cases, and people still get prosecuted.

Ezzie.
04-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I heard it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars for the death penalty..

Anyone heard about the last person to be hanged?

He was a simple/handicapped person who was framed by one of his friends for murdering somone, becuase he was handicapped he didn't really know what was going on and couldn't defend himself.. so they hanged him, an innocent guilt free man :) Yes capital punishment is such a blessing.... Why don't we gouge out our eyes so noone can take an eye for an eye.

RedStratocas
04-10-2006, 11:40 PM
I was just going by how there never seems to be enough conclusive evidence in big cases, and people still get prosecuted.

Well thats corrupt systems. A lot of time the opposite happens (see OJ Simpson case). For the most part though, the system works.

Oh, and its been proven the death penalty doesnt do anything to the crime rate. People who comit those crimes either aren't afraid to die, or would rather die than go to jail. If jail isnt enough of a motivater for you not to comit a crime, death probably wont be either.

FlyingJesus
04-10-2006, 11:49 PM
I heard it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars for the death penalty..

Anyone heard about the last person to be hanged?

He was a simple/handicapped person who was framed by one of his friends for murdering somone, becuase he was handicapped he didn't really know what was going on and couldn't defend himself.. so they hanged him, an innocent guilt free man :) Yes capital punishment is such a blessing.... Why don't we gouge out our eyes so noone can take an eye for an eye.

We watched a film on him in media last year, called Let Him Have It. It's got Christopher Eccleston (last Dr Who before the current one) in it :D

BL!NKEY
05-10-2006, 12:10 AM

Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.

http://www.un.org/cyberschoolbus/humanrights/declaration/11.asp

Here is a good link about the pros and cons of the death penalty

http://www.religioustolerance.org/execute.htm

Ezzie.
05-10-2006, 08:59 AM
On a religous aspect sending them to death would be a quicker journey to hell.. just one aspect of it.

05-10-2006, 03:46 PM
sorry i gave you the credit of being able to comprihend simple logic.

Serial killer murder victim
Person A now has to kill serial killer.
Person b now has to kill person A becuse they killed
Person C now has to kill person B
Person D now has to kill person C
Etc etc?

o.0 Any clearer now?

It isn't like that, People dont kill in chains, Also Death Penalty doesn't cost more than keeping someone in prison there whole lives because when their dead - They've gone, Its time to clean out Britains Prisons!

Neversoft
05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm for it.

Mentor
05-10-2006, 07:21 PM
It isn't like that, People dont kill in chains, Also Death Penalty doesn't cost more than keeping someone in prison there whole lives because when their dead - They've gone, Its time to clean out Britains Prisons!
I know, you may notice a lack of a death penalty in the uk? does that exsplain it for you?

Plus bull**** cant disprove facts, im sorry, but death pentalty costs one hell of alot more...

alexxxxx
05-10-2006, 07:32 PM

That made me lol.

America didn't create it.

05-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I know, you may notice a lack of a death penalty in the uk? does that exsplain it for you?

Plus bull**** cant disprove facts, im sorry, but death pentalty costs one hell of alot more...

Reason why we haven't got Death Penatly in this country is because were too soft on Crime, Keeping someone in jail their whole lives costs more than a Death Penalty, Muderers and Rapists dont deserve to live their dirty scumbags who i'd gladly pull the switch on for.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!