PDA

View Full Version : Evanescence - The Open Door Review

Mrs.McCall
03-10-2006, 05:50 PM
This album was definatly well worth the wait. Evanescence's comeback has been long overdue. The album has a mix of gothic-soft rock tone with some beautiful opratic instrumentals aswell. Amy Lee's voice has definatly matured and is a credit to the album. He gothic tones and passionate voice really make the album what it is. My favourite song on the album has to be "Good Enough" which is said to be the 'Happy Song' on the album ("I've lost myself and I don't mind/I can't say no to you"). Other favourites are their current single "Call Me When You're Sober", their next single "Lithium" (set to be released 31st October) and not forgetting "Like You", a wonderful, heart wrenching song written about Amy Lee's sister whom died when Amy was young ("I long to be like you/lie cold in the ground like you/there's room inside for two").

However, the album has some floors. I feel that quite a few tracks do sound rather similar. This is not due to Amy Lee but due to the simplistic music style. Another problem is that this album is on the other end of the spectrum to Fallen. Fallen contained too little opratic tones that Amy is so good out but The Open Door has TOO much opratic tones. I also feel that the whole 'gothic/weird' idea was taken too far on some songs (Cloud Nine for example).

Overall, I would give this album 8/10. I am soo happy Evanescence are back! I am going to see them on 21st and I hope they are as good as last time! Also, I see a good future for the band as their single "Call Me When You're Sober" has reached #4 in the UK Singles Chart! I hadn't even considered it to get in the top 20 (since British music has changed for the worst).

Tracklist:
1. Sweet Sacrifice 2. Call Me When You're Sober 3. Weight Of The World 4. Lithium 5. Cloud Nine 6. Snow White Queen 7. Lacrymosa 8. Like You 9. Lose Control 10. Only One 11. Your Star 12. All That I'm Living For 13. Good Enough

FrozenWhisper
03-10-2006, 07:50 PM
I must say, I love this album, I bought it today and it rocks. I prefer it to Fallen tbh

dirrty
03-10-2006, 08:04 PM
its well good.
As you said, uk charts are just... full with total rubbish mostly tbh.

FrozenWhisper
04-10-2006, 07:28 AM
its well good.
As you said, uk charts are just... full with total rubbish mostly tbh.

I agree, I love this new album. Was worth the wait.

Isoelectric
04-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I also feel that the whole 'gothic/weird' idea was taken too far on some songs (Cloud Nine for example)

>;o EXCUSE ME, Cloud Nine is one of the best songs on the album ;D

RedStratocas
04-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Im not a big evanescence fan, but I saw them live and they were really good.

JoeyK.
04-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Might buy it eventually.

Mrs.McCall
08-10-2006, 02:23 AM
I have it :P

JoeyK.
08-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Bought it yesterday... I think I still like Fallen better, but it's pretty damn good anyway.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!