PDA

View Full Version : Question...

Jamie!
19-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Stupid question but its got me thinking...

Why is calling someone from Pakistan a '****' considered racist? Surely calling someone from America an 'American' or someone from India an 'Indian' is the same?

By the way, not being racist or trying to cause arguments just a question :]

-Wolverine
19-10-2006, 09:56 PM
The correct term is Pakistani.

-:Undertaker:-
19-10-2006, 09:56 PM
I agree, Aussie = Austrialians

:Hazel
19-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Good point although I'd call someone from Pakistan a Pakistani, because people may think your being racist if you call them a **** I don't know why that is mind you. :s

HUGECOOL
19-10-2006, 10:16 PM
"The word Pakistan was created in 1933 by Rahmat Ali Chaudhry, a Cambridge law student, to refer to the independence movement that existed prior to the British decolonisation project of ex-London law students. It derives from the Urdu words for "pure country". However, the abbreviation **** acquired offensive connotations in the 1960s when used by British tabloids to refer to decolonisational subjects in a derogotary and racist manner. In modern British usage "****" is typically used in a derogatory way as a label for all South Asians, including Indians and Bangladeshis. In recent times there has been a trend by second- and third-generation British Pakistanis to reclaim the word, such as in the name of the clothing company PAK1 or the independent refugee television news agency ****.tv.

The racist connotations may be confined only to the UK. In Australia, the Pakistani cricket team are commonly referred to as the Pakis, just as the West Indians are known as the Windies."

-Wiki

N!ck
19-10-2006, 10:29 PM
I hate it when people refer to these people as "Asians", since this represents a much larger group of people. Like you would say a person from China was Chinese, not Asian.

brapbrap
20-10-2006, 04:14 PM
They call themselves pakis.

cocaine
20-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Yet its racist?

A4AClarissa
20-10-2006, 05:54 PM
yeah some girl shes like the ghetto **** queen, or thats what she calls herself lmfaoo

alexxxxx
20-10-2006, 06:00 PM
I hate it when people refer to these people as "Asians", since this represents a much larger group of people. Like you would say a person from China was Chinese, not Asian.

I know, but, I can't tell the difference between somebody from Libya or Iraq or Pakistan or India.

Though I can tell if somebody is Chinese or not, that's why people call them Chinese/Japanese or Corkasian.

Huddle
20-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Hawaii = Hawaiiiiiiiiiian (with ALL the i's) LOL

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!