PDA

View Full Version : Swearing

JamesRouale
04-11-2006, 10:32 PM
In online policies that involve community discussion boards there has been recent debates over swearing policies. Although what I recognized is that they do not state swearing in all its form is unacceptable. In fact it is clearly the opposite. Many people will express swearing using words they represent or using a letter to represent the word. Although a new form of swearing is emerging - swearing in other languages.

Should swearing in other languages be permitted for online communities?

Discuss below...

Mentor
04-11-2006, 11:24 PM
I think swareing should be permmited full stop, they are simply words, that like all others are used to exsperss a persons thoughs or feelings, by removing words people are allowed to say, simply diminishes the accurasy to which someone can exspress themselves. And other than that serves NO OTHER PURPOS at all....

cocaine
04-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Its basically taking away your freedom of speech

Biseinen
04-11-2006, 11:28 PM
The forum managment are far too immature to even start discussing the possibility of this forum having no filter and being used correctly when it is not on. It's pathetic how we get in trouble for expressing our opinions and getting 'infractions' for words which arn't even filtered or considered rude or vulgar.

All forms of swearing should be accepted.

benjamin
04-11-2006, 11:30 PM
i think swearing should be allowed. it's like you've heard it all before? ;l

Chickenblob
04-11-2006, 11:36 PM
But.. if swearing is allowed people may go around offending people
with rude words that have been filtered in the past, some newbies may
just go around shouting abuse at everyone.

FlyingJesus
04-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Obviously you learn certain terms as you progress through life, but the basics (F, S, the B's and other such words) I learned at first school, as young as 5 probably. I don't get offended by them, but I think swearing bans on forums are a good idea simply because it stops people making idiotic posts in serious discussions, or at least just makes them look like the idiots they are when they simply mouth off.

I'd suggest having the filter lifted on forums such as the Spam forum, because there clearly isn't much intellectual conversation over there (soz chaps u iz still propa cleva tho k?) and just have the filters in main discussion areas.

Mentor
05-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Obviously you learn certain terms as you progress through life, but the basics (F, S, the B's and other such words) I learned at first school, as young as 5 probably. I don't get offended by them, but I think swearing bans on forums are a good idea simply because it stops people making idiotic posts in serious discussions, or at least just makes them look like the idiots they are when they simply mouth off.

I'd suggest having the filter lifted on forums such as the Spam forum, because there clearly isn't much intellectual conversation over there (soz chaps u iz still propa cleva tho k?) and just have the filters in main discussion areas.

Id have to disagree a bit, people look just as stupid mis-swearing franticly in caps as they do, when there message results in a long chain of stars, possibly more as the mis-use of words can often be quite entertaining "/

liquid
05-11-2006, 12:14 AM

i iz propa cleva thankz.

Lol i think the filter is stupid, everyone grows up hearing swears, and if they get offended by them online, I don't see how they cope in real life.

FlyingJesus
05-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Earmuffs.

BL!NKEY
05-11-2006, 02:29 AM
I am two sided on this topic

I think if the forum is mature enough to handle no filter then it would be fine.

But because this is a forum with 10 year olds it should have a filter. If a 10 year old is on the forum and their parent looks over their sholder and sees the F word all over a post they might not let them on the site.

Also about the free speech thing. You are not allowed to go into a public place and start saying the F word and saying it is free speech. There is some clause about how it cannot effect others right to something else.

And I think there are other words one can use instead of swear words.

Without a filter, people who get infractions and stuff will make posts with just the F word 100 times.

Conclusion: A community who is mature enough shouldnt need a filter but I dont think habbox is ready for that.

Blinger1
05-11-2006, 06:42 AM
I think habbox should just block the "F word" and let some other words go like the "S word" and such. Its a fact of life EVERYONE will have heard a swear word before they die (if they live to the age of about 10) whether its in a movie, or over hearing a conversation, an arguement or on the radio (yes people can call up and swear ;)). I think they should remove some words from the filter :)

boyslikegirls
05-11-2006, 07:14 AM
in my opinion, children shouldn't be on sites built for teens that swear.
if a site is for 18+, then 18 year olds and older should be on it, not any younger.

FlyingJesus
05-11-2006, 09:22 AM
This site was built for younger members as well though, as it was originally the Habbo fansite. So going by what Jerrald Jerremy is saying, no, we shouldn't lift the filter. I don't believe this forum is mature enough for it.

Plank
05-11-2006, 09:44 AM
But.. if swearing is allowed people may go around offending people
with rude words that have been filtered in the past, some newbies may
just go around shouting abuse at everyone.
people can get offended by anything, not just swearing, so if your saying that, you might as well ban chatting on the internet all together...

brapbrap
05-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Its not even an official fansite, i dont understand why yor not allowed to swear, on the Leyton Orient message board which is a professional football club's message board your allowed to say certain words, like the other meaning for excrement and your allowed to say richardhead aswell.

Just a few words are ok.

Eamonn
05-11-2006, 12:58 PM
i think swearing should be allowed. it's like you've heard it all before? ;l
Exactly they even frikking swear on Corrie occasionally!

cocaine
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
They obviously don't feel that we'll use it properly.

VanHalen
05-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Sheizer's a good example to swearing in foreign languages.
I just think swearing comes naturally as you grow up. You pick it up off others and just bring it into your figure of speech. People can say what they want, but I don't think people should take offence to swearing as it's only a word. Sticks and stones I reckon.

GommeInc
05-11-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm not too bothered about it. I feel that if someone swears alot they clearly have no intelligence to work out a more accurate way to display their emotions and feelings. Take the F word, I only use it when I am in a bad temper in real life. "F" off for example. But if people saying "F" off in the more calmer sense, it makes no sense. I think the F word is another word for sex as far as I am aware, but the word changed into just a word that means nothing, like twazzock.

I get a bit annoyed when all people say to express their feelings that do not effect the moment using swears words utterly annoying. I know someone (whom I hate so very, very much) who uses the C word to describe her dad. All she says is that, and the S word, and the F word. Using swear words to describe someone or something is stupid, and makes you seem pretty dumb to me. It relates alot to chavs, who can't think of any good words other than swear words or words destroyed to sound simple.

Anyway, slowly moving a way. I am ok with swearing, as long as people don't keep using the word over and over again to describe something. It is ok to show anger I suppose at the immediate moment. Like if you dropped something on a hard floor and it breaks and you so "Oh S word..." or "Oh F word."

It all depends really on the community really. I think most of Habbox Forums community are smart enough to use outside the swearing box, but then again you do get some strange characters who will swear completely blind to whatever that word means and how more relevant another word would be.

I am ok with jokes, songs etc with swear words though, because swear words simplify a good sentence or so, making a song or joke flow nicely. Like Tenacious D with "F word" Her Gently." Hilarious song :D

Desjardens
05-11-2006, 11:08 PM
In online policies that involve community discussion boards there has been recent debates over swearing policies. Although what I recognized is that they do not state swearing in all its form is unacceptable. In fact it is clearly the opposite. Many people will express swearing using words they represent or using a letter to represent the word. Although a new form of swearing is emerging - swearing in other languages.

Should swearing in other languages be permitted for online communities?

Discuss below...

Why not.. I dont see the problem, people dont understand what it means anyways

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!