PDA

View Full Version : Double Jeapordy Rule

alexxxxx
17-11-2006, 09:26 AM
The Double Jeapordy (sp?) Rule is a centuaries-old law in which a person who is accuses a crime, and is tried but not found guilty, cannot be tried again for the same crime under the same charge.

Under UK law now, if the prosecutor has new, sufficient evidence, they CAN try them again.

Do you agree with the UK law?/Do you agree with the Double Jeapordy Law?

Why? Why not?

Discuss.

Roboevil
17-11-2006, 11:00 AM
I think it's fantastic that they've introduced the double jeopardy rule into the UK, owing to the new technology of forensics, it has allowed old cases in the 60's and 70's to be re-opened. This, obviously means that criminals who have escaped a trial can be re-tried and caught.
I do however much think that the law is still being too lenient in ways which mean that after the second trial has ended, the verdict is final and once again, the case is closed. As much as the introduction of this law has meant that criminals have been caught again, if they once again manage to escape the second trial, they're free. I think the law should state that laws should be eligible for opening once, twice, thrice, four or five times etc.

Mentor
23-11-2006, 12:07 AM
;2547401']The Double Jeapordy (sp?) Rule is a centuaries-old law in which a person who is accuses a crime, and is tried but not found guilty, cannot be tried again for the same crime under the same charge.

Under UK law now, if the prosecutor has new, sufficient evidence, they CAN try them again.

Do you agree with the UK law?/Do you agree with the Double Jeapordy Law?

Why? Why not?

Discuss.

Well the double jepordy rule does have its purpos. It stops abuse of the court system, Aka if someone is found innaccent, it means that the court cannot just simply retry and retry a person untill they get the verdict they want.

The problem with it though is it can be an escape route for criminals, hecne why i agree with the UK version, where with new evidance a criminal can be retryed.

Casanova
23-11-2006, 05:25 PM
No, double jepardy (sp?) rule is where they're tryed, found not guilty, tryed again and found not guilty then they're untouchable. Now it'll be if new stuff is found it is possible.

I personally think it does have a purpose, two times is enough to try and find the guilty person twice over! It saves millions every year, not making people accused re-tried.

RedStratocas
23-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Double Jeaprody works. If a person is found innocent, the offence cant just keep trying them over and over until they get what they want. However, if they do find out that the defendent was lieing and got off, he can be charged with purgery (sp?), which is pretty bad.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!