PDA

View Full Version : A Woodcutter's Handbook // Youheard

Youheard
18-11-2006, 09:11 AM
A Woodcutter's Handbook // Written by Youheard!

Woodcutting is probably one of the most popular primary skills on Runescape but takes time and patience to get a high level however if you stick with it you can make large amounts of cash cutting magic logs and/or yew logs. One of the reasons for woodcutting being so enjoyable and easy to train is that there are trees quite literally EVERYWHERE in the Runescape world, all you need is an axe of any type. Not only that but woodcutting plays a big part in many other secondary skills such as; firemaking, fletching and construction!

The Trees

The Normal Tree
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7050/normaltreeqt0.png
Woodcutting Level Required: 1
Experience Per Log: 25
Members Only: No
Examine: One of the most common trees in Runescape!
Uses of the logs:
Fletching
Arrow Shafts (level 1)
Shortbows (level 5)
Longbows (level 10)
Wooden Crossbow Stock (level 9)
Firemaking
Burn at level 1
Construction
Made into normal planks.

The Oak Tree
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2721/oaktreewq3.png
Woodcutting Level Required: 15
Experience Per Log: 38
Examine: A beautiful old oak.
Uses of the logs:
Fletching
Oak Shortbows (level 20)
Oak Longbows (level 25)
Oak Crossbow Stock (level 24)
Firemaking
Burn at level 15
Construction
Made into oak planks.

The Willow Tree
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9152/thewillowtreech5.png
Woodcutting Level Required: 30
Experience Per Log: 68
Examine: These trees are only found by water.
Uses of the logs:
Fletching
Willow Shortbows (level 35)
Willow Longbows (level 40)
Willow Crossbow Stock (level 39)
Firemaking
Burn at level 30
Construction
No use for construction.

The Teak Tree
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6390/theteaktreegs5.png
Woodcutting Level Required: 35
Experience Per Log: 85
Members Only: Yes
Examine: A beautiful old teak tree.
Uses of the logs:
Fletching
Teak Crossbow Stock (level 46)
Firemaking
Burn at level 35.
Construction
Made into Teak Planks.

The Maple Tree
http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/8329/themapletreeiz9.png
Woodcutting Level Required:
Experience Per Log: 100
Examine: I bet this makes good syrup!
Uses of the logs:
Fletching

Maple Shortbows (level 50)
Maple Longbows (level 55)
Maple Crossbow Stock (Level 54)
Firemaking
Burn at level 45
Construction
No use for construction.

The Mahogany Tree
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5953/themahoganytreeat7.png
Woodcutting Level Required: 50
Experience Per Log: 125
Examine:
Uses of the logs:
Fletching

Mahogany Crossbow Stock (level 61)
Firemaking
Burn at level 50
Construction
Made into mahogany planks.

The Yew Tree
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/4918/theyewtreedu7.png
Woodcutting Level Required: 60
Experience Per Log: 175
Examine: A splendid tree.
Uses of the logs:
Fletching
Yew Shortbows (level 65)
Yew Longbows (level 70)
Yew Crossbow Stock (level 69)
Firemaking
Burn at level 60
Construction
No use for construction.

The Magic Tree
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/6276/themagictreegq7.png
Woodcutting Level Required: 75
Experience Per Log: 250
Examine: The tree shimmers with a magical force.
Uses of the logs:
Fletching
MAgic Shortbows (level 80)
Magic Longbows (level 85)
Firemaking
Burn at level 75
Construction
No use for construction.

My Suggested Places To Woodcut
I have selected all these places for some or all of the following reasons, they are close to a bank, reasonably quiet, easily accessible.
Key
Black line = route taken.
Yellow circles/lines = the location of the trees.

Normal Trees
Normal trees can be cut pretty much anywhere and everywhere however there is a large patch of them just west of the Varrock west bank.

Oak Trees
I would suggest cutting oak trees in the same place as I mentioned above for cutting normal logs. There are three oak trees in a triangle formation here. With the bank being close by this is a useful place to cut them.

Willow Trees
After some time of coping with the noobs at draynor I decided to try and find a decent spot for willow trees, after some searching I discovered that there are two or three trees to the south east of the Ardourgne south bank. They are very close to the bank and I have not yet once met another woodcutter there whilst woodcutting myself.

Teak Trees
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5486/teaktreesi9.png
If, like me, you cannot be bothered to keep doing the tai bo mini game there is a nifty teak tree situated south west of castle wars. As show on the map below. I would suggest bringing running to the teak tree using the route shown above then teleporting via a duelling ring back to the Castle Wars arena to bank.

Maple Trees
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1750/mapletreebw8.png
As you may or may not know there are 4 maple trees directly behind Seers Village bank and directly south of the bank, however these are usually packed with annoying people. There are a lot of trees situated further north of Seers Village bank but they require a lot of running if you plan to bank your logs, however if you are using firemaking to burn maple logs I would strongly suggest cutting maple trees here.

If I plan on banking my maple logs I cut the two maple trees just east of Party Petes room, as shown on the maple above.

Mahogany Trees
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/7844/mahoganytreezi8.png
There isn't really any quiet mahogany trees close to a bank, then again I've never had to cut these in bulk, nor do I know of anyone who has ever cut them in bulk. When I do need to cut them though I travel to ape atoll (speak to Daero to travel to crash island) and use the mahogany tree on the far west. See the diagram above. There is also a teak tree located on the island.

Yew Trees
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/5670/yewtreeslg5.png
The quietest place I've found is in the south east corner of the gnome stronghold, I have provided a diagram above of this location. If you're a social woodcutter you may want to cut the yew trees west of Catherby. There is usually always 5+ woodcutting here however.

Magic Trees
If you have got this far to be able to cut these trees you have done well, however don't expect to cut these like oaks or even yews for that matter. They're unbelievably slow to cut and an inventory can take 20+ minutes. There are several spots for magic trees however I'll let you decide which one is your personal favourite. Some good spots are; sorcers tower, Lletya and just north of the sorcers tower.

NOTE: If you're in need of quick trading sticks to cut Mahogany and Teak on Brimhaven you can sell your semi precious gems (jade topal red topaz) to the sales man in Tai Bwo Wannai for quick and easy Trading Sticks.

What Axe Should I Use?
I would advise using the best axe you can for your woodcutting level with the exception of dragon which I will explain later. All the axes require the attack level to wield that type of weapon. For example Rune Axes require 40 attack to wield but not to woodcut with.

Bronze Axe (level 1 wc) I don't suggest ever using this axe. Use an iron axe to begin with.

Iron Axe (level 1 wc) This is the best axe you can get to start off with, use this untill you can use black at level 6.

Steel Axe (level 6 wc) Use this axe ONLY if you cannot get you're hands on a black axe.

Black Axe (level 6 wc) If you can get your grubby little mits on a black axe buy it and use it untill you can use a mithril.

Mithril Axe (level 21 wc) A mithril axe will speed up the rate in which you cut oak logs so I suggest using it.

Adamant Axe (level 31 wc) You will see a noteable difference whilst cutting all trees below willow with the Adamant Axe, therefore it is a worthy investment for keen woodcutters.

Rune Axe (level 41 wc) Definately buy a Rune Axe, at only 20k gold points they are the most versatile axe going. Whilst not being as quick as the dragon axe you certainly feel more confident to look at other sites whilst woodcutting.

Dragon Axe (level 61 wc) Since the update dragon axes are officially the fastest axe on Runescape. If you have the spare cash I do suggest buying them but it makes away from screen woodcutting that little bit more risky.

My Suggested Method To Level Woodcutting (F2P & P2P)
Level 1 to 15- Cut normal trees just west of Varrock west bank. Bank your logs as they can be used later.

Level 15 to 30- Start cutting oak trees in the same place as you were cutting normal logs.

Level 30 To 45- Cut willows next Draynor bank if F2P however if you're members I would suggest moving to the spot in Ardourgne mentioned above.

Level 45 To 60- If you are in need of cash begin to cut maples however they will be slow. If you're after quick levels continue to cut willows as they're the fastest xp.

Levels 60 To 75- Once again if you are in need of cash cut yews but once again they will be slow. Continue to cut willows if you want fast xp.

Levels 75 to 85- Avoid cutting magics unless you are cutting for cash. Continue with willows for quickest xp.

Levels 85 To 99- Cut willows or yews all the way to 99, depending on whatever you find quickest.

Making Money Via Woodcutting
The best way to make money via woodcutting is to gain 75 woodcutting and cut magic logs as these sell for 1000ea. Best place to sell magic logs would be Seers Village bank on world 2.

Log prices usually priced around...
Normal = 10 - 15gp each
Oak= 30 - 45gp each
Willow= 35 - 40gp each
Teak= 350 - 400gp each
Maple= 80 - 120gp each
Mahogany = 350 - 400gp each
Yew = 290 - 300gp each
Magic = 1000 - 1100gp each

Woodcutting Randoms
Like with all the other skills on Runescape you can get randoms any time however there are there specific to Woodcutting. These are the evil tree spirit and a bird's nest.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3159/birdsnestrandomyh6.png
In the event that you get a bird's nest you will see a nest on the ground with either a seed, ring or an egg in it you will be notified in the speech box. The seed could be any tree or fruit tree seed. If you get a ring it could be a normal ring upto a diamond ring. If you're lucky enough to get an egg it will either be blue, red or green.

The Evil Tree Spirit
The Evil Tree Spirit will appear when you first click a tree. He will tell you to, "leave this forest and never return". The irony is if you run away and come back again (which I suggest) he won't bother you. Unfortunately I'm unable to get a picture at the minute.

Ents
An ent random happens when you the tree begins to shake and a face appears on the tree branch. If you continue to woodcut whilst the tree has turned into an ent your axe will break. Do not fear however as you can get your axe fixed in Bob's Axe shop in Lumbridge for a set price.

Thank you for reading and I hope on a whole it has helped you just a little bit. The content and pictures are all my own so if you would like to use it please ask before hand, if you see any problems PLEASE tell me as that would be of great help.

Note: I've deliberately left out canoes as they're more to do with transport than with woodcutting, so please don't ask for information on canoes because it wont happen.

Moved by micky.blue.eyes (forum mod): Excellent guide! Nice title, very detailed, better than any guide on runehq. You should think about writing guides for fansites. :)

Originalmoh
18-11-2006, 09:15 AM
WOW NICE GUIDE

Wish i could rep you

OmgAMark
18-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Your guides are always great, you never skip on detail.

Good job, have some rep.

Yeum
18-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Superb tut :) +REP

:[
18-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Oh excellant as usual + rep

Humoured
18-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Superb guide welldone +rep

shank
18-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Sweet guide even tho I know this, will help some people who wanna level fast.

=]

Ezzie.
18-11-2006, 03:32 PM
wow great guide, beats runehqs and tip.it's ones :D well done

Crunk
18-11-2006, 03:39 PM
great guide.
prob there but do u have tree spirits? :O

Royal
18-11-2006, 03:53 PM
That's a awesome guide Alex, it's so neat and organized. Great job, + REP.

RSTurbo
18-11-2006, 04:08 PM
great guide.
They have nothing to do with Woodcutting? (don't think so anyway)

Nice guide Alex, +rep.

Edit; Need to spread ;x.

Dan
18-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Sooper guide, very well written :D

Charles
18-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Another excellent guide Alex. Well done :)

Youheard
18-11-2006, 06:50 PM
great guide.

Yeah there is a small pargraph at the bottom about them, I was trying my hardest to get one for a screenshot for about 30 minutes but it didnt happen :(

Thanks everyone :D

icy sc1m
18-11-2006, 07:20 PM
this is the tut i dreamed boout last night... :O u stole it! nice guide m8 +rep

oh and one thing though u can get 100gp ea for normal logs, peeps buy them for 100 make into planks and flog on for more
willow logs price range is more 30-40gp
and yew price range is 260-300gp
otherthan that its perfect

Barwy
19-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Enjoyed the guide, Repped you for it yesterday but couldnt be assed to post :P

∙Matthew∙
21-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Wow! Great Guide! ♥

Buzle
25-11-2006, 04:03 AM
WOAH!
I luff Woodcutting and I luff this guide!
VERY TIDY, great and useful! :D
+Rep mate

Youheard
28-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I'll add the new Strung Rabbit Foot necklace as soon as I've worked out some averages.

bushi2004
28-11-2006, 08:29 PM
nice im addicted to wc lol nice quide mayb ill change to willow for fawst xp

Youheard
19-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. I almost have the update on the new (well not so new anymore) necklaces done.

Leuven
19-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Alex have you considered using your stuff on Zybez or RuneHQ?

You would be a really good Guide Writer :P

Youheard
19-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Alex have you considered using your stuff on Zybez or RuneHQ?

You would be a really good Guide Writer :P

Maybe but they already have skill guides up. Thanks for thought though :D

Albion
23-12-2006, 07:46 PM
maples or willows from 78-80

Youheard
23-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Willows will be quickest but less cash.
Maples will be slower but make more cash from them.

So it depends on wether you want quick xp or cash.

Albion
24-12-2006, 08:36 PM
ok cheers, where are the 2 near ardougne

Callum.
24-12-2006, 08:39 PM
ok cheers, where are the 2 near ardougne

South of Ardy south bank.

Chease
26-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Fantastic guide. +rep

Ashley 12344
28-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Good guide.

Not sure if its been posted, add axe-heads to your randoms part =]

Youheard
03-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the C+C I'll add all the new things when I have some spare time.

JimboBetter
03-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Wow nice guide!

+Rep

could i woodcut yews from 80 - 99?

Seagy
03-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Well done man its great!

Hoax
04-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Awsome guide ;] just read now lolz

Also, if you're a non-social woodcutter and want your fm/fletching up there are 5 or 6 yew tree's located in Tiranwn on the path to Lletya

Fanmalita
20-04-2007, 04:27 PM
brilliant guide!!!

computer screen
22-04-2007, 04:22 AM
love the guide

Barwy
27-04-2007, 08:19 PM
This guide never gets old :)

Davii
14-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Im using your guid right now to get 40 wc :)

Is it just me or did you miss out axes falling appart? anyway ill get u a pic of a spirit if i get one :)

halo6800
20-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Wow!

Great i have high wood cut :D

im going to use this ;)

Andeeh
17-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Brilliant Guide!

JonJonStress
22-06-2007, 02:05 AM
where you talk about ents you can also fix your axe in your house if you have armour repair, I beleive?

wood919
24-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Nice job on the guide but your a little late for me lol, its more of a new persons guide i only got 76 woodcutting atm but i cant go on run escape to get it higher because my mum thinks it is slowing the computer down anyways i wish all new tree cutters do well DONT MACRO! ty :D

Youheard
27-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Not really I still refer back to it (even though I wrote it) at 99 :D

whit111
01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
great guide i am using it now

Jebbo
27-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Nice Guide :) Thanks Alot

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!