PDA

View Full Version : Ban on junk food advertising. Good or Bad?

Tash.
18-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Not sure if this really fits but yeah. If it doesn't feel free to move it.

It was announced yesterday that junk-food adverts will be banned from tv.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6154600.stm - source

Will this help the obesity epidemic? Or will it have no effect?

I personally think its completely stupid, how will banning the showing of food like crisps/chocolate on tv help? Parents will still go out and buy the children the food, and if you're above the age of 11, you can choose whether you want to eat junk-food or not.

Anyway, your views?

vibrant
18-11-2006, 05:35 PM
it will probably have no effect..
like you said people will still buy the food..

the junk food should be banned alltogether.

FlyingJesus
18-11-2006, 05:48 PM
it will probably have no effect..
like you said people will still buy the food..

the junk food should be banned alltogether.

no coz it r wel tasty :[

This ban on advertising at certain times is stupid. It may have some small effect on children, but not enough to compensate for
1) the amount of money lost from the adverts previously in those times slots and
2) the effect that it will have on late night advertising costs, seeing as how these companies will still want to advertise, and so there will be increased competition in those slots.

sim
18-11-2006, 05:52 PM
I think its good for the general health of those younger children who may not know better than Coca cola and Big Macs.
If they advertise Happy Meals as cool and fun things because they come with toys then it is bad.....

Do you get what Im trying to say?

Tash.
18-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I think its good for the general health of those younger children who may not know better than Coca cola and Big Macs.
If they advertise Happy Meals as cool and fun things because they come with toys then it is bad.....

Do you get what Im trying to say?

I understand what your saying, but if they are that small to want the toy from the Happy Meals, their parents would have to take them to Macdonalds to buy the food. Therefore, the way I see it, is that its the parents' fault for giving them unhealthy food.

sim
18-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Good argument.

But I think you have to gague it, its partly parents resposibilty but also those of the advertisers.

I remember going into a supermarket and a child seeing a lunch pak they saw on tv. They could recite the jingle perfectly and was nagging his parents for it:

'Go mad for munchsters'

Tash.
18-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that the adverts don't help the matter. The ones with the annoying songs don't help at all. But they were even speaking of banning Frosties. I mean, they're cereal, albeit with quite a bit of sugar in, but still children are constantly told to eat healthy and cereal is included. Surely this sort of product shouldn't be banned?

Rizla
18-11-2006, 06:07 PM
It's bad because I won't know about the fine new products from KFC.

sim
18-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Banning frosties or the advert?
Because so far food hasn't been banned because its fatty or anything.

Tash.
18-11-2006, 06:09 PM
The advert. Not the actual food, sorry didn't make that clear.

SHEEPY_luvs_u
18-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Utterly pointless. If people want to eat junk food, they will.

Lubricant
18-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I think it's a good idea. The adverts will stay in the childs head and they will just want one. I think they should advertise healther food and exercise more.

hit-by-a-car
18-11-2006, 06:30 PM
thats balls. better not happan. i like to keep up to date with food. :rolleyes:

sim
18-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Haha, I wouldnt care if that advert got banned:
"Its gonna taste greaaatttt"....etc

-:Undertaker:-
19-11-2006, 02:13 PM
If your fat then it's your own fault, not anyone elses.

RedStratocas
19-11-2006, 03:21 PM
This is a different position than you'd think I'd take on this

You would be surprised how influencial those ads are to children. I read the book Fast Food Nation. While it was mostly about fast food commercials, it mentioned a lot of other commercials. Ads these days are being more and more agressive twards targeting little kids. Little kids who dont know any better. There are McDonald's commercials aimed at 2 year olds. Kids as young as 3 can recognize 500 logos and products.

This isnt about adults, its about children.

I think advertizing aimed at young kids should be banned, and junk food ads are almost 100% aimed at little kids. So I am for it.

FrozenWhisper
19-11-2006, 04:50 PM
This is a different position than you'd think I'd take on this

You would be surprised how influencial those ads are to children. I read the book Fast Food Nation. While it was mostly about fast food commercials, it mentioned a lot of other commercials. Ads these days are being more and more agressive twards targeting little kids. Little kids who dont know any better. There are McDonald's commercials aimed at 2 year olds. Kids as young as 3 can recognize 500 logos and products.

This isnt about adults, its about children.

I think advertizing aimed at young kids should be banned, and junk food ads are almost 100% aimed at little kids. So I am for it.

Thats true but, They don't show them till like 9 right? thjats about the time alot of my 12 year old friends go to bed. We aren't fat and tbh if I askk my mum for a McDonalds it's cause I want on, Not cause some stupid advert told me to.

RedStratocas
19-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Thats true but, They don't show them till like 9 right? thjats about the time alot of my 12 year old friends go to bed. We aren't fat and tbh if I askk my mum for a McDonalds it's cause I want on, Not cause some stupid advert told me to.

9? Are you serious? Here in the U.S. junk food commercials are on all day.

And McDonalds is different, everyone knows about them. But most of the junk foods with commercials you wouldnt know about otherwise. Little kids don't know any better, its about them. And you cant say 'I' in this. If you can control your mind, youre an exception. But you cannot deny that little kids see a McDonald's commercial and want McDonald's because of it.

Tash.
19-11-2006, 05:53 PM

And McDonalds is different, everyone knows about them. But most of the junk foods with commercials you wouldnt know about otherwise. Little kids don't know any better, its about them. And you cant say 'I' in this. If you can control your mind, youre an exception. But you cannot deny that little kids see a McDonald's commercial and want McDonald's because of it.

Its true that yes, Mcdonalds adverts do attract little kids, and they do end up wanting to eat it. But the majority of these adverts are aimed at those children under 10 (by the little toys in the happy meal). As I said before, if the child is that young, all they can do is demand a McDonalds. Their parents don't have to provide them with it.

RedStratocas
19-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Its true that yes, Mcdonalds adverts do attract little kids, and they do end up wanting to eat it. But the majority of these adverts are aimed at those children under 10 (by the little toys in the happy meal). As I said before, if the child is that young, all they can do is demand a McDonalds. Their parents don't have to provide them with it.

But parents are stupid. Why should a child have to pay for their parent's (and their own nieve) stupidity? Again, kids are dumb, and many of them have a demanding power over their parents.

Tash.
19-11-2006, 06:31 PM
But parents are stupid. Why should a child have to pay for their parent's (and their own nieve) stupidity? Again, kids are dumb, and many of them have a demanding power over their parents.

At the underlined bit - just because the adverts arent going to be on, doesn't mean that the parents will just stop taking their children there. Some parents are very lazy and won't cook good food. So banning the adverts won't help the children who have irresponsible parents at all.

RedStratocas
19-11-2006, 06:34 PM
At the underlined bit - just because the adverts arent going to be on, doesn't mean that the parents will just stop taking their children there. Some parents are very lazy and won't cook good food. So banning the adverts won't help the children who have irresponsible parents at all.

No, parents arent lazy as they are just stupid and give into what their kids want (like all parents do these days). If kids didnt see these commercials, I can garentee that the amount of kids who want McDonald's would drop. And what the kids dont want, parents follow.

Caution
19-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Bad. Won't have any effect.

Tash.
19-11-2006, 06:40 PM
No, parents arent lazy as they are just stupid and give into what their kids want (like all parents do these days). If kids didnt see these commercials, I can garentee that the amount of kids who want McDonald's would drop. And what the kids dont want, parents follow.

From personal experience of a family on my street, and without being offensive to anybody, I can say that if your parents are obese there is a higher chance that you are going to grow up obese. Fair enough if your parents have realised that you need a healthy diet. But, with the people down my street, they constantly have takeaways etc. Their child is only 6/7ish. You can't tell me that the kid demands takeaways every single night because of an advert on the television? Parents primarily choose their kids meals.

Anyway, the main principle about this I disagree with, is that we seem to be living increasingly more in a nanny state. We're being told what we can/cannot eat, and that irritates me.

English
19-11-2006, 06:41 PM
It's good because although people may still go out and buy the food, they will be less likely to have a 'craving' for a certain food like many people do when a certain advert comes on - it's a psychological method to get people to buy certain products.

RedStratocas
19-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Anyway, the main principle about this I disagree with, is that we seem to be living increasingly more in a nanny state. We're being told what we can/cannot eat, and that irritates me.

They arent telling you that you cant eat it. If that were true, they would ban the food itself. Its banning advertizements. It would be like saying on the bann of cigarette ads means they want to tell people not to smoke. But its the same thing as this, they dont want these ads influencing young people.

hindu
19-11-2006, 08:08 PM
omg...

they will loose profit$

RedStratocas
19-11-2006, 09:36 PM
I dont see why this effects people though? A bann on advertizements? The junk food will still be there, but they wont be shoving it down your throats.

English
19-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I dont see why this effects people though? A bann on advertizements? The junk food will still be there, but they wont be shoving it down your throats.
It's a good thing, so it does affect people but in a good way.

Mentor
19-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Banning cigarrett ads had around a 0% impact on the sales, the only real differnce now, is more people understand there effects, aka they tend to kill you, as opposed to thinking they were healthy as they were markted origanly, You still sell to the idiots who think it makes em hard, but not to the normal people who have brains of there owns, plus cutting down the chav population is realy just a public service.

Banning junk food ads? i really dont think it will have much of an effect, people dont want junkfood becuse its on TV, all that is is competition between the differnt produces, they want it since it tastes danmed good.

Hell i live of the stuff, Xl bacon cheese burger meals, gone super. Its what keeps me alive, red bull/sprite/7up is all a dirnk, I often get threw 10 packs of crisps a day if not more, chocolate, sweets, pretty much anything, hell i cook bacon with lard.... im also complearty inactive and do no exsorsize. The problem lies here in the fact, im perfectly healthy, with no problems what so ever, i very rairly get ill, and im just on the border of being underweight or healthy weaight, (im underwaight in the morning, a healthy waight in the evening)

Now if all the fast food stuff was really true, i should be pretty much dead, waighing in at a number of tons. Yet im not?
So this is an anomilalie yes? well i know alot of people who eat diets nearly as bad as mine who also dont have any problems?

I personaly belive theres a major problem in the current commonly held understanding of how people maintain health. This really should have become obvious by the fact the intrdouction of mandatory PE lessons in america led to soreing rates of obeasety. (if the current idea were true, youd exspect the oppersit)
ALot of this probably comes from the fact humans tend not to think of themselves as animals, includeing there bodys, the fact are body ajusts to what ever nutraiants it gets and how much exsorise it gets is overlooked by nearly all govement inforced of suggested health recommenedations. if you eat less, your body uses less, and stores more when it can (added fat). If you use more energy the same thing is going to occur, becuse your body then exspects you to use that engergy in feature, when its not used, theres a problem.
Note, according to health officals nearly every athleat that will take part in the olimpics will be clinicaly obease, Why, Mustle ways more than fat, hence people with alot of mustle are unsuprising very hevey... this is complety overlooked by nearly all heath guidlines provided by the goverment, the idea of BMI calcualtion for instance "/

Neversoft
20-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I doubt it'll have any effect. They're going to have to ban junk food from shops if they want to do anything.

NekkLe
20-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I doubt it'll have any effect. They're going to have to ban junk food from shops if they want to do anything.
I agree.

They'll have to do alot more to change the diet of millions of kids in Britain, cancelling a few ad's on tv won't change much, you walk outside and theres massive adverts on billboards..

Jaydin
21-11-2006, 02:39 AM
banning junk food advertisements will just make people order pizza less cuz they don't know the latest specials :p

Ry
21-11-2006, 11:30 AM
People will continue to eat it regardless in my opinion, we know its there, the minute we set foot down the high street, or town, or shopping centre, it stares us in the face, maybe they should stay closed untill after 9pm watershed (sarcasm) :P

FrozenWhisper
21-11-2006, 07:42 PM

I suppose. And they show them all day, but the new law wont show them till 9. Tbh, all adverts suck. Except cool one's like the orange ones.

RedStratocas
21-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I suppose. And they show them all day, but the new law wont show them till 9. Tbh, all adverts suck. Except cool one's like the orange ones.

Haha, and beer commercials. There are some hillarious commercials out there, but for the most part theyre bad. I hate the commercials where they just get this person to just talk to the camera and walk around like they know everything.

Ahhh, stuff about advertizing lately has been getting me mad. Im reading this book called No Logo, about corruption in corporations and stuff, but for some reason lately Ive been having to defend companies, because people dont know what they're talking about. Like next week or something in our school is 'Buy Nothing Day' that supposidly makes a point. What that point is, I have no clue. The posters say stuff like "I buy. You buy. We buy. He buys. She buys. THEY PROFIT!". I just want to take the person who wrote that and take them to Business 101. Thats how business works. People buy stuff, companies give it to them. Transaction complete!

There might be a deeper meaning to it, but they failed to make any mention of it with the posters. Like one said "Advertizments Lie!-- Buy Nothing Day". Anything ironic about that?

My only complaint about advertizing is their agressiveness to children. Toys and stuff I can understand, but have you noticed how cell phones are being targeted to younger and younger kids? That kind of stuff I dont think is right.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!