PDA

View Full Version : What Religion are you?

You
01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Another one =)

Neversoft
01-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Whats the one where you are not any religion?

8Freak8
01-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Agnostic. Although I intend to read more about Evolution etc. over Christmas, so I'll probably became Atheist. I think the reason I'm agnostic is because I don't know enough about the subject.

Edit @ Neversoft: Atheist is where you don't believe. Agnostic is where you're not sure.

Hopeless
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
NOt any religion is atheist

Not blieve in a god is atheist

If your not sure if there is a god then you would be agnostic

Neversoft
01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Edit @ Neversoft: Atheist is where you don't believe. Agnostic is where you're not sure.

Tash.
01-12-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm atheist, mainly on the basis that I rarely believe in anything that cannot be proved to me. Plus, anything like God who is supposed to represent good, cannot possibly exist in my view if he/she/it causes as many wars/arguements/evil in this world.

Hopeless
01-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Right i am going to go deep into this now.

God created Natural + moral morality
God created us in his image so he doesn't control us we choose what we want to do. We do, our consicence but he may send us signs.

If people want to hurt others its there choice. The reason for natural evil (tornado's, earthquakes) is that god gave The first humans (adam and eve) to protect the worlds naturistics.

As we have been spoillings our worlds (digging, buring) the world is change and so is the effects.

Finally people say there is no proof. There is and its staring you right in the face.

If you think back..
to the dinosaurs.
who made them?
Microbes?
Who made them?
The rock colloiding causing energy?
Who made the rocks + the coloding energy

Where ever you look into life it will always lead to one place. God.

God doesn't think any less of you if you choose not to belive in him. He loves the pope and much as he loves somone who is a mass murderer. If the Murderer is willing to souly say sorry then got will forgive him no matter what he has done.

Omipresent - God is everywhere
Omipitent - God is all-knowing
Benevelent - Got is all loving and will forgive you for everything you do.

Sorry if thats a bit long but if you have any other questions i will be happy to answer them :D

Eamonn
01-12-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm atheist, mainly on the basis that I rarely believe in anything that cannot be proved to me. Plus, anything like God who is supposed to represent good, cannot possibly exist in my view if he/she/it causes as many wars/arguements/evil in this world.
God gave us free will, that is why there is war/evil/arguements in the world.

benjamin
01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
athiest.

Tash.
01-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Not in my opinion. God is simply a non-existent entity to me.

Ezzie.
01-12-2006, 02:19 PM

A rivetting comeback:rolleyes:

I'm christian, whether one chooses to believe in God or not it's there choice, I'd rather believe in God and when I die go into a better place than not believe in Him and goto hell?

Also a key word: Free Will- We have the choice to murder, steal, if we like, but each action has it's consequence.

Herman
01-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Muslim.

Axel
01-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Catholicism is a branch of Christianity?

But anyway, Atheist.

stratosphere
01-12-2006, 02:42 PM

I thought it all had to do with the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve ate that apple thus disobeying God so that's why there is sin :s

Eamonn
01-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Well you wondered why these things happen and I said why, but I will choose to value your opinion.

HMSTitanic, it all ties together, the bible says that that is where sin originated from as temptation is not a sin but to give into temptation is, but they could only of given into the temptation with free will.

Grindie
01-12-2006, 03:03 PM
agnostic - the evidence for and against god is inconclusive.

:Hazel
01-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Whats the one where you are not any religion?

Lol I was going to ask that, I always forget.
I'm Atheist then :p

Uwe
01-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Im Athiest but I was Christend at the Church of Scotland which I think is a catholic church?

ebay
01-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Agnostic :)

Joe!
01-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Right, this could be a bit of an essay maybe not though who know.

I believe nothing exists after death, your just dead. I believe people who are a certain religion are just scared of dieng and want to believe that there is afterlife. as i said this is just my opinion and i respect other people :)

Chease
01-12-2006, 05:22 PM
None of my family are religious and I've been brought up in a town where hardly anyone is religious.

Therefore.. Atheist.

Dan2nd
01-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I would say I am religous and yes I think God does exist

Right, this could be a bit of an essay maybe not though who know.

I believe nothing exists after death, your just dead. I believe people who are a certain religion are just scared of dieng and want to believe that there is afterlife. as i said this is just my opinion and i respect other people :)

When I think about God death dosn't even enter my mind I actually feel sorry for people who don't have faith and maybe your scared of facing God? just a thought lol and of course I respect your beleifs aswell

Mentor
01-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Aithiest/agnostic dont have anything to do with religion? there to do with belife in "god". Although they can often equate to the same meaning, it is misleading to talk about them in this class. Since they are NOT mutualy excusive, for exsample, a Buddest is an aithiest, since buddism itself has no concepts of a deity or god of any sorts, yet buddism is still a religion "/

I am both without a religion and without a belife in god.

kasi
01-12-2006, 08:12 PM
roman catholic.

Joe!
01-12-2006, 08:33 PM
If i had to choose a religion it would buddishm as to me it makes the most sense. but im just nothing :)

summer
01-12-2006, 11:08 PM
atheist.

scubadiva
01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
You forgot Jedi! It's an official religion you know!

Anyway, I'm Christian :)

Hopeless
02-12-2006, 11:06 AM
agnostic - the evidence for and against god is inconclusive.

how did the world start then?

-Soph-
02-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Athiest

jackass
02-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Christian FTW.

Morning
02-12-2006, 02:41 PM
im a protestant christian
i am theist

Jesus-Egg
02-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Atheist

:dallsgreen
02-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Catholic. I wasn't sure if I should say Catholic or Christian, tbh I don't know the difference.

FlyingJesus
02-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity.

RedStratocas
02-12-2006, 06:01 PM
how did the world start then?

How about you tell us, since you were so obviously there when it happened.

brapbrap
02-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Im pregnant.

maz906
02-12-2006, 07:06 PM
lemme shed some light.... *coughs*
what i have learnt in school.

What is God?
-God is a supreme spirit who alone exists of himself and is infinite in all perfections.
-God was NOT created; He is that spirit who is able to give the gift of creation without having that gift conferred on him.

Whatdo we know about God?
-God has ALWAYS existed; it is God's nature to exist.
-We say that God is Eternal and Infinite and that there is only one god.
-This belief in one God is known as Monotheism.
-The belief in more than one God is known as Polytheism.(i think that is spelt right).

God as Father
-The Christian Sign is the sign of the cross " In the name of the Father..."
-We are baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, this is the blessed trinity - Three persons in one God.
This is a mystery that is fundamental to the Christian Faith.

-Summary-
One God made up of three persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit - Trinity
God is INFINITE and almighty - He can do all things - omnipotent (all powerful)
but can not go agaisnt his nature which is infinitely good.
God was created from "Ex Nihilo" (from nothing)
Genesis is a symbolic story of the creation of the world.
The Church accepts the Big Bang Theory of origin of the universe, but it is ordered and sustained by God.
God is our Father in that he loves us, cares for us and has given us the world and our life.
We are made in the image and likeness of God, chiefly in our souls, which are immortal, like God.

Jesus Christ means in Hebrew "Joshua Messiah" which further means "God Saves the annointed one"

do i need to explain more?

RedStratocas
02-12-2006, 09:26 PM
If god made everything, where did god come from? Hmmmmmmm, explain that with some actual logic, none of that "He is the holy spirit and has always existed" crap, because you and I know that doesnt make any sense.

Oh, and why would I go to hell for not believing in god, if murders can get to heaven by apologizing? How about this: If I die, and god happens to exist, Ill apoligize for not believing in him, and it'll be all cool. He cant take it out on us, there is no proof he even exists.

Youheard
03-12-2006, 12:04 AM
I myself am an atheist, always have been however I don't begrudge anyone else their beliefs either.

brandon
03-12-2006, 12:11 AM
It's weird, after reading this thread I am becoming more and more into believing in God, however I'd never become a Christian. I am atheist and always will be I suppose, an atheist with a slight belief in God.

cocaine
03-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Agnostic.

but i've been baptised catholic

kolopo
03-12-2006, 12:39 AM
i'm actually catholic and i go to a catholic school. but me nor my family are religious. i think the only religious thing we do is not eating meat on good friday, my dad would kill me if i did.

Mentor
03-12-2006, 01:51 AM
It's weird, after reading this thread I am becoming more and more into believing in God, however I'd never become a Christian. I am atheist and always will be I suppose, an atheist with a slight belief in God.
Aithiest = Without belife in god.
Theist = With belife in god.

Hence you cant be an aithiest and belive in god, that would make you a theist.

If your just unsure, then your just agnostic

What is God?
-God is a supreme spirit who alone exists of himself and is infinite in all perfections.
Yea, alot of people say this, the main problem with it is known as the problem of evil.
Since god is perfect he hence has the charictistics of Omniptance (all powerful.) and Benevolence (good willing)

yes?

Since god is "Good willing" he would not want evil right?

But we have evil do we not? Lots of things are makeing people suffer, both human and natural "evil"

That means ether:
A) God is All powerful and can stop evil and just does not want to.

Oh no, that means he cant be benvolent, which means hes not perfect, which means theres no god.

B) he wants to stop evil, he just isnt powerful enough to

Oh no, that means he cant be omniptant, which means hes not perfect, which means theres no god.

So what have we concluded, Which ever choice, a perfect being cannot exist when there is evil in the world, hence there can be no god.

-God was NOT created; He is that spirit who is able to give the gift of creation without having that gift conferred on him.
If theres one exseption why not more?

Why do we need a god to start with?
To create the universe.

But if god can exist without being created, Why cant the universe just do that as well? its far more logical.

Which means we have no need for god "/

Whatdo we know about God?
-God has ALWAYS existed; it is God's nature to exist.
Well the ontralogical argument (the idea that it is in gods definition to exist) is also VERY flawed.
So what the agrument says is, we imagine a £10 note, but an actual £10 note is better than the imaginary one.
We image god, But a real god would be better in the same way, than an imageny one.

And since god by definition is perfect, he would have to be the Best thing we can think of?
So since we can think of somthing better than the imaginary god, we ether accept god is real, or we dont actualy have a concept of god, just of a powerful being.

Now the problem here, is we apply this to an island, are perfect island, an island we can think of nothing better than, now if the island was real it would be better? so the island must as well be real to fit are concept of the perfect island..

Oh wait, are island still isnt real.. Dang

Why?
Existance isnt an attribute, its a state. You ether exist or you do not exist. (unless we go in to quantom mechanics, but ill skip that for now)

If this agrument for god was right, god would exist perfectly, he would exist better than you.
But how can you exist better exsactly, you ether do or dont "/

-We say that God is Eternal and Infinite and that there is only one god.
These both fit under the definition of perfection, see above.

God as Father
-The Christian Sign is the sign of the cross " In the name of the Father..."
-We are baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, this is the blessed trinity - Three persons in one God.
This is a mystery that is fundamental to the Christian Faith.
The idea of the cross only came about in the new testiment, hence meaning your ignoreing about 3/4 of the bible "/

Also food for thought:

Since where ALL gods children, why was jesus so special?
In the time period jesus live "a son of god" was a common phrase attributed to anyone who was particaly religious.
In the bible jesus never claimed to be the son of god. everyone referd to god as father at the time, many still do.

-Summary-
One God made up of three persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit - Trinity
If god is a singlar being, how could he have a son? since his son would just be him, an avitar maybe, but not a separate entity?

God is INFINITE and almighty - He can do all things - omnipotent (all powerful)
but can not go agaisnt his nature which is infinitely good.
So basicly he cant do all things, only good things, which means hes not omniptant.

God was created from "Ex Nihilo" (from nothing)
Wait? i though god was infiniate and eternal? How could he be created if he's existed forever?
He would need a creator to be created.

Genesis is a symbolic story of the creation of the world.
yet many people take it as litral truth

The Church accepts the Big Bang Theory of origin of the universe, but it is ordered and sustained by God.
Which demonitaion? quite a few dont. Plus the big bang isnt really a theary, alot of thearys include A big bang near the beginning of the universe, but knowing there was a big explosion, doesnt constitue a theary or exsample where the universe itself came from.

God is our Father in that he loves us, cares for us and has given us the world and our life.
So we can suffer for about 70 years before he lets you in to hevern and you can actualy be happy? or more likly just go to hell and suffer even more.

Very benevolent of him.

We are made in the image and likeness of God, chiefly in our souls, which are immortal, like God.
So basicly god looked like one of us? which one? or is he just not very good at getting people looking right, hence accounting for the variation in apperances "/

Dentafrice1
03-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Im not sure.. I grew up in a christian home.. christian church.. im not sure what to believe.

I know there is a higher power somewhere,, but im not sure what or who.

FlyingJesus
03-12-2006, 01:58 AM
One argument that beats all of the "it can't be right because of this and that" stuff: if God is omnipotent then He can work the impossible. He can kill people and still be omnibenevolent, He can have existed before existence existed, any paradox He can overcome simply because He is omnipotent.

I don't believe in the Jewish/Christian God myself, I'm just putting that forward as it can be used to counter any of that stuff above.

Mentor
03-12-2006, 02:12 AM
One argument that beats all of the "it can't be right because of this and that" stuff: if God is omnipotent then He can work the impossible. He can kill people and still be omnibenevolent, He can have existed before existence existed, any paradox He can overcome simply because He is omnipotent.
Omniptance doesnt actualy overide logic, even an all powerful being is bound by it.
For exsample, can god make it so you never existed?
You know you exist now? right?

God can stop you from exist, yes
God can make it so you were never born, yes?

But you have still existed have you not, and god being omniscient would know this.

Just as he would know if he had commited evil, he could stop others from knowing, but he could never convince himself otherwize, without contraditing another aspect of his concept. The only way he could exscapte these boundrys would be via being transendant, but being transenant would make it immpossible to know god or his concept in any way "/

Dentafrice1
03-12-2006, 02:13 AM
They say god designed humans..

If gods not human.. what is he? an oger?

RedStratocas
03-12-2006, 02:44 AM

But that doesnt make any sense. Everything works somehow, there is no such thing as magic, stuff doesnt just happen and he cant just do stuff.

Dentafrice1
03-12-2006, 02:47 AM
I dont see how people thing the big boom theory.. and we dont look like monkeys..

Mentor
03-12-2006, 02:59 AM
I dont see how people thing the big boom theory.. and we dont look like monkeys..
o.0 we didnt evolve from monkeys... we evolved from apes... and actualy theres quite a big resemblance "/
Plus the big bang is an event, not a theary, its just part of alot of thearys.

Dentafrice1
03-12-2006, 03:03 AM
Ok.. I dont look like an ape.. I like like a sexy beast..

Mentor
03-12-2006, 03:18 AM
Ok.. I dont look like an ape.. I like like a sexy beast..
Visual aid: http://www.detectingdesign.com/images/DefiningEvolution/Ape%20to%20Man.jpg

maz906
03-12-2006, 09:22 AM
I accidently put Christian, I am actually Roman Catholic.
I was just about to counter 01101101entor's comment but my cat ran past and unplugged the internet :l so it closed the internet down so i will have to do it again so brb.

Oh, and why would I go to hell for not believing in god, if murders can get to heaven by apologizing? How about this: If I die, and god happens to exist, Ill apoligize for not believing in him, and it'll be all cool. He cant take it out on us, there is no proof he even exists.

You would go to hell because you rejected God during your life on earth, and the murderer wouldn't go to Heaven becuase he commited Mortal sin which can not be forgiven. You couldn't just go God and say i'm sorry while you are being judged at Judgement it would be too late you would have to go to reconciliation and say sorry then.

They say god designed humans..

If gods not human.. what is he? an oger?

God is a high being, a Spirit, a higher plane of existence.

Mentor
03-12-2006, 02:58 PM
I accidently put Christian, I am actually Roman Catholic.
I was just about to counter 01101101entor's comment but my cat ran past and unplugged the internet :l so it closed the internet down so i will have to do it again so brb.
feel free, im happy to put forward a counter rebuttle.

You would go to hell because you rejected God during your life on earth, and the murderer wouldn't go to Heaven becuase he commited Mortal sin which can not be forgiven. You couldn't just go God and say i'm sorry while you are being judged at Judgement it would be too late you would have to go to reconciliation and say sorry then.
Didint jesus die on the cross so we could be forgiven of mortal sins?

God is a high being, a Spirit, a higher plane of existence.
Doesnt really work, since existance is simply a state, you exist or you dont exist, you cant exist more than someone else. its not something in levels, its a boolien. exist = true/false no imbetweens or differnt plains.

maz906
03-12-2006, 03:01 PM
yes Jesus got rid of everyone's mortal sin then but we can still have mortal sin if we do something like murder and all i can say is look at what i said because you obviously didn't read it properly. I can't be bothered to write up everything i said again plus it was this morning and i can't remember what i said xD you win lol for ... now :P

Mentor
03-12-2006, 03:05 PM
yes Jesus got rid of everyone's mortal sin then but we can still have mortal sin if we do something like murder and all i can say is look at what i said because you obviously didn't read it properly. I can't be bothered to write up everything i said again plus it was this morning and i can't remember what i said xD you win lol for ... now :P
Interesting, last time i checked that was why cathlics had confession and penitance, and murders etc or any sins could be forgiven? All they need to be is truely sorry for the actions to be forgiven.

maz906
03-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Interesting, last time i checked that was why cathlics had confession and penitance, and murders etc or any sins could be forgiven? All they need to be is truely sorry for the actions to be forgiven.
Go to reconcilliation too.

wirlwind.
03-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I dont have a religion? God = no one to me aswell.

RedStratocas
03-12-2006, 04:27 PM
How can god seriously blame people for not believing in him? Not like its so visibly clear that he exists or what he is.

Acidulantes
03-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Murderers can be forgiven... look at what Jesus said to the guy on the cross next to him...

FrozenWhisper
03-12-2006, 06:38 PM
I don't really have one. I'm intrested in Wicca though.

Dan2nd
03-12-2006, 07:48 PM
How can god seriously blame people for not believing in him? Not like its so visibly clear that he exists or what he is.

Thats why its called a faith you need faith that God exists

Mentor
03-12-2006, 08:48 PM

Yet god created us as smart beings who are very inquisative, and made is so faith is directly against are very nature. Then goes and punishs us for being what he created "/
Very benovolent of him...

maz906
03-12-2006, 08:59 PM
sometimes you talk a load of crap lol faith isn't agaisnt our nature we have free will so it is neither agaisnt or for our nature.

Mentor
03-12-2006, 09:09 PM
sometimes you talk a load of crap lol faith isn't agaisnt our nature we have free will so it is neither agaisnt or for our nature.
o.0 free will and human nature arnt the same thing, thats like classing logical deduction and emotions are exsactly the same...

Are nature is instinctive and has been one of the driveing forces that have got us to where we are now in both technolgical and evolitonary terms. We instinctivly strive for knowlage and understanding. And this nature cannot be removed, You cant exsactly say mendle didnt have "faith" yet he still discovered gensistics? threw his defult naturer.

Free will in terms of positive freedom, is shaped by are nature but is nowhere near the same thing, whether you choose to sit down or stand up, has nothing to do with are instinctive nature "/

Blind faith goes directly against this nature, and can only be maintained threw a strong resime of uniform ignorance.

Dan2nd
03-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Yet god created us as smart beings who are very inquisative, and made is so faith is directly against are very nature. Then goes and punishs us for being what he created "/
Very benovolent of him...

God dosn't want to make it easy for us if God was put on display in front of us everyone would know he exists therefore wouldn't have to have their faith tested. But by not doing this God is testing our faith so he knows we truely except him as our God

Mentor
03-12-2006, 09:14 PM
God dosn't want to make it easy for us if God was put on display in front of us everyone would know he exists therefore wouldn't have to have their faith tested. But by not doing this God is testing our faith so he knows we truely except him as our God

o.0 So god didnt want to just make his creation perfect, he wanted to make it as hard as possible for them to escape suffering.
Sounds like a kid with a magnifine glass playing with an ant nest....
How benevolent..

Dan2nd
03-12-2006, 09:26 PM
o.0 So god didnt want to just make his creation perfect, he wanted to make it as hard as possible for them to escape suffering.
Sounds like a kid with a magnifine glass playing with an ant nest....
How benevolent..

It all stems back to giving us free will God IS all loving but we were giving free will Africa is in todays state because choices made in the past people get murdered because someone chose to kill them 9/11 happened because Osama bin laden chose to plan the attack. The 7/7 bombings happened because some mad terrorists chose to bomb the underground.

so we could have escaped suffering if we chose to before we made a giant web of suffering for ourselfs

Mentor
03-12-2006, 09:34 PM
It all stems back to giving us free will God IS all loving but we were giving free will Africa is in todays state because choices made in the past people get murdered because someone chose to kill them 9/11 happened because Osama bin laden chose to plan the attack. The 7/7 bombings happened because some mad terrorists chose to bomb the underground.

so we could have escaped suffering if we chose to before we made a giant web of suffering for ourselfs
Wana guess how many of them were caused by religion?

Wana guess which religion has more terrorists in it than any other also?

uh huh her
03-12-2006, 09:37 PM
im atheist.

dirrty
03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Im a christian but i believe in recarnation and when your soul is pure enough, you will live in heaven with god =]

im not sure where hell comes into that though lol

Dan2nd
03-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Wana guess how many of them were caused by religion?

Wana guess which religion has more terrorists in it than any other also?

It dosn't matter they chose to cause the attacks with the free will God gave us and I'm not willing to point fingers at any religion

Mentor
03-12-2006, 10:15 PM
It dosn't matter they chose to cause the attacks with the free will God gave us and I'm not willing to point fingers at any religion

But god being omnsicent already knows what actions we will choose with are freewill anyway, so he tests people already knowing the outcome, since he made us in a way where we would choose the choice we do. hence he is punishing us for doing exsactly what we designed us to do anyway "/

RedStratocas
03-12-2006, 10:17 PM

Why? And why do we need faith that about all of these specific things that he has supposedly said?

God dosn't want to make it easy for us if God was put on display in front of us everyone would know he exists therefore wouldn't have to have their faith tested.

Then whats the point? Why cant he just show us he exists, whats so wrong with that?

Dan2nd
03-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Then whats the point? Why cant he just show us he exists, whats so wrong with that?

God has in the past heard of someone called Jesus? he was God the son. He performed many miracles but still people refused to believe he was Gods son. If someone came up to you tommrow claiming to be God they would be taken to a nut house faster than you can say wooptididoda God tried to come to Earth once in the form of Jesus.

RedStratocas
03-12-2006, 11:15 PM
God has in the past heard of someone called Jesus? he was God the son. He performed many miracles but still people refused to believe he was Gods son. If someone came up to you tommrow claiming to be God they would be taken to a nut house faster than you can say wooptididoda God tried to come to Earth once in the form of Jesus.

So why cant he come back again? And perform miracles to prove me wrong, because this is just me, I like to see things for myself and then believe.

Dentafrice1
03-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Idk tbh.. I would like to see him too.. why cant he just pop down? or let us see him float down?

What would be the point of going to heaven?

To worship him forever?

Liriel
03-12-2006, 11:29 PM
I have no religion at this current time as I have no belief in a god(s). I'm open to ideas on what people say and I'm not a closed book so I would say I'm Agnostic.

Dan2nd
04-12-2006, 07:33 PM
So why cant he come back again? And perform miracles to prove me wrong, because this is just me, I like to see things for myself and then believe.

Jesus said he will come back one day but ' as a theif in the night' and he also said he did't know what date or hour it will be.

Some people think this will be on the day of judgement

RedStratocas
04-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Jesus said he will come back one day but ' as a theif in the night' and he also said he did't know what date or hour it will be.

Some people think this will be on the day of judgement

Ok, so until then, there will always be athiests. No one knows if there even is a god, let alone what he wants and does. I dont understand how you can go into details if no one knows what the big picture is.

Dan2nd
04-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Ok, so until then, there will always be athiests. No one knows if there even is a god, let alone what he wants and does. I dont understand how you can go into details if no one knows what the big picture is.

even if Jesus did come back today there still would be athiests and he would proberly be seen as a mad man. The pope proberly wouldn't even think its true. The human race still has alot more to discover and to learn no we don't know what the big picture is yet but I'm sure one day we will

RedStratocas
04-12-2006, 10:01 PM
even if Jesus did come back today there still would be athiests and he would proberly be seen as a mad man. The pope proberly wouldn't even think its true. The human race still has alot more to discover and to learn no we don't know what the big picture is yet but I'm sure one day we will

If someone just said "IM JESUS" no one would believe him, but if he performed all the miracles he did before, people would believe wouldnt they?

Dan2nd
04-12-2006, 10:05 PM
If someone just said "IM JESUS" no one would believe him, but if he performed all the miracles he did before, people would believe wouldnt they?

Well he performed miracles before and alot of people doubted him

Misawa
04-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm an atheist. In my opinion, religion and 'higher powers' aren't feasible.

Liriel
04-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Wasn't it proven that Jesus was real, but not as a demi-god on earth, but as a human? I forget...

RedStratocas
05-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Wasn't it proven that Jesus was real, but not as a demi-god on earth, but as a human? I forget...

It hasent been fully proven that he was a real person. I dont think they can prove what he was without his body.

Well he performed miracles before and alot of people doubted him

But Im sure many athiests would turn christian if he came back and did some more magic tricks for us.

Dan2nd
05-12-2006, 11:31 AM
But Im sure many athiests would turn christian if he came back and did some more magic tricks for us.

But when Jesus does return it won't be us who judge him it will be him who will judge us as the day he will come back is judgement day thats what the bible says anyway =]

Liriel
05-12-2006, 11:39 AM
But when Jesus does return it won't be us who judge him it will be him who will judge us as the day he will come back is judgement day thats what the bible says anyway =]

Contradiction upon contradiction. I find it hard to believe when each sentence gives off a reversal later on in the bible.

Kieeran
05-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Im an atheist no disrespect to any god lovers

Samster
05-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Although i've been baptised, i'm not religious in any way

Jin
05-12-2006, 07:26 PM

Just one of the many conspiracy theories, very recently been brought to life in "the davinci code" by Dan Brown

I highly doubt, we live in an era of science and logic, I think if most of those said mircales were re-enacted now we would probably dismiss it as a amateur magician.

I can think of a ton of people who would possibly be acclaimed as "the son of god" 2000 years ago but to us its just someone who is very quick with their hands.

Ah but is the bible the book of god dictated / narrated / created by god? or a book created by the devote christians?

london
05-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Catholic - which is a branch of Christanity.

Dan2nd
05-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Ah but is the bible the book of god dictated / narrated / created by god? or a book created by the devote christians?

well that is what puzzles me because some of my R.S ( Religous studies) teachers have said that the bible was dictated by God but others were against this. So I guess its just what you beleive (sp?) in

Contradiction upon contradiction. I find it hard to believe when each sentence gives off a reversal later on in the bible.
Not all the bible is meant to be taken as a true story most of the bible contains stories which teach us lessons about life however this is a little bit confusing as it also says things which are meant to be true such as the judgement day thing

Mentor
05-12-2006, 10:07 PM
well that is what puzzles me because some of my R.S ( Religous studies) teachers have said that the bible was dictated by God but others were against this. So I guess its just what you beleive (sp?) in
The litral word is kinda hard, since you have 7 or 8 complete contradictions in gensis allown, hell you have two completely different storys?

Not all the bible is meant to be taken as a true story most of the bible contains stories which teach us lessons about life however this is a little bit confusing as it also says things which are meant to be true such as the judgement day thing
I take it you have the magical abilty to be able to tell which instances are true and which are simply symbolic?
Or are you just picking and chooseing depending on what you want it to say?

Dan2nd
05-12-2006, 10:22 PM
I take it you have the magical abilty to be able to tell which instances are true and which are simply symbolic?
Or are you just picking and chooseing depending on what you want it to say?

I'm not picking or choosing anything I'm just saying what I think is true. Adam & Eve teach an obvious lesson about temptation how ever what lesson would God want to teach us about judgement day? um... Judgement day will come one day so we mustn't sin I dunno?

Liriel
05-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden are so full of contradictions to the human race and to nature its unbelievable.

Dan2nd
05-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden are so full of contradictions to the human race and to nature its unbelievable.

Thats why I think that its only supposed to be taken as a story..

Mentor
05-12-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm not picking or choosing anything I'm just saying what I think is true. Adam & Eve teach an obvious lesson about temptation how ever what lesson would God want to teach us about judgement day? um... Judgement day will come one day so we mustn't sin I dunno?

Strange genisis 1 says the garden of eden bit never happened... good to know the bible has so few contradictions.

So how exsactly do you know this is a story, yet not think the rature equaly obsurde is real?

Dan2nd
06-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Strange genisis 1 says the garden of eden bit never happened... good to know the bible has so few contradictions.

So how exsactly do you know this is a story, yet not think the rature equaly obsurde is real?

because theres no proof it won't happen. Example: I know Adam and eve is only a story because of the theory of evolution and the proof around us evolution exists ( I think God created evolution). However the judgement day thing hasn't happened yet and we won't know if it will until the end of the world and as I think Jesus was a real person and he was meant to have said he will return on this judgement day I therefore think this is true.

oh yeh,the bit in bold backs up what I said its not contradicting its self its just backing up what I said about it only being a story to teach us a lesson

Mentor
06-12-2006, 06:11 PM
because theres no proof it won't happen. Example: I know Adam and eve is only a story because of the theory of evolution and the proof around us evolution exists ( I think God created evolution). However the judgement day thing hasn't happened yet and we won't know if it will until the end of the world and as I think Jesus was a real person and he was meant to have said he will return on this judgement day I therefore think this is true.

oh yeh,the bit in bold backs up what I said its not contradicting its self its just backing up what I said about it only being a story to teach us a lesson
So it gensis 2 is just there to teach us such important moral values, as why women shouldn't have proper rights and seen as second class citizens?
And why offer two versions of the same story?
And when judgment day doesnt come, it was just a story then not real? how conveniatnt, but i though you couldnt just pick and choose which parts to belive "/

Dan2nd
06-12-2006, 06:45 PM
So it gensis 2 is just there to teach us such important moral values, as why women shouldn't have proper rights and seen as second class citizens?
And why offer two versions of the same story?
And when judgment day doesnt come, it was just a story then not real? how conveniatnt, but i though you couldnt just pick and choose which parts to belive "/

As far as I'm aware the story of adam and eve says BOTH adam and eve can't eat the fruit so I dunno how this shows disgrimination against woman?

To whats in bold: I think I typed it badly =l I meant as I think Jesus was a real person and he was meant to have said ' I will return as a theif in the night on judgement day' ( something along those lines) I believe this to be true. I don't get why this is a problem?

quagmire
06-12-2006, 06:48 PM
my mum and dad are both christian, but we don't go to church. so, i don't know what i am. but i like, follow the religion christian.

simon305
06-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Im A Proud Athiest, i new i didnt belive in god 6 years ago when i was 12 i managed to work out that 2 people make babys and that would mean adam and eves babys must of done it whitch is wrong according to the bible and i allso noticed there wasnt a colored adam and eve eather so that would mean colored people from space (im mixed race so this isnt racest) so i knew from then on that the bible was a load of bull

Ps: we did evolve from space so everyone is an alian muhahhaha

Im gonna go walk into a church with a white suit on and say im the son of god cos if i do there will be a hell of alot of people beliveing me

Mentor
06-12-2006, 07:06 PM
As far as I'm aware the story of adam and eve says BOTH adam and eve can't eat the fruit so I dunno how this shows disgrimination against woman?
Who was made first? Who was woman made for? who was woman made out of?

Or did you forget that part "/

To whats in bold: I think I typed it badly =l I meant as I think Jesus was a real person and he was meant to have said ' I will return as a theif in the night on judgement day' ( something along those lines) I believe this to be true. I don't get why this is a problem?
Becuse your picking and chooseing which parts of the bible are or are not symbolic storys and which is litral choice without any basis other than what you wish to belive.
Jesus himself could equaly be simbolic as opposed to a real figure "/

No where not, your only an alien if you come from someone else, raw materal which resulted in us my be of alien orgine, but us lot were still born over here, so cannot be alien to ourselfs.

Dan2nd
06-12-2006, 07:07 PM

That is actually pretty intertesting because there is infact a group of people who think God is an alien from a more advanced race

edit: (we must have posted the same time)

Becuse your picking and chooseing which parts of the bible are or are not symbolic storys and which is litral choice without any basis other than what you wish to belive.
Jesus himself could equaly be simbolic as opposed to a real figure "/

I still don't think I'm picking anything =l I'm just saying what I think is true and I think Jesus was a real man and yes the Bible was written in an era when woman were discriminated against alot thats proberly why alot of the storys were written this way. and finally your pushing my brain to the limit man I may beleve in this stuff but I'm not the pope cut me some slack =D

Mentor
06-12-2006, 07:09 PM
That is actually pretty intertesting because there is infact a group of people who think God is an alien from a more advanced race

That includes belivers in scianceology or what ever its called.

Starburst..x
07-12-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure in what I believe to be honest, Im not going to say there is a God, but I'm not going to say there isn't.
It just makes me think when people say God was created from nothing, but how can nothing create something?
I would like to think there is a God, but without wanting to offend anyone, im really not sure

RSTurbo
07-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Catholic.

Mentor
08-12-2006, 09:23 PM
I still don't think I'm picking anything =l I'm just saying what I think is true and I think Jesus was a real man and yes the Bible was written in an era when woman were discriminated against alot thats proberly why alot of the storys were written this way. and finally your pushing my brain to the limit man I may beleve in this stuff but I'm not the pope cut me some slack =D
Yes whcih "you think is true" thats called picking and chooseing, since you dont "know" whether its true or not, you just wish one part was true and choose to belive that it is, the same way you choose which parts you do not belive. That is picking and chooseing.

Also i belive jesus supposedly taught equality, so its strange his decipeds would be descrinianting, if they were really from them, and not the edited properganda they have slowly been changed in to from the original form "/
Most of it was actualy writen by a single guy named peter, in the form of letters, there was a big meating called by the powerful people at the time to decised what was to go in and what was to be left out, these people were power hungery so changed everything in the favor, this was a good 500 years after jesus supposedly lived.

Dan2nd
08-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Yes whcih "you think is true" thats called picking and chooseing, since you dont "know" whether its true or not, you just wish one part was true and choose to belive that it is, the same way you choose which parts you do not belive. That is picking and chooseing.

I don't want to go on about this anymore its turning into a arguement about something picking, poppin choosing etc which is unrelated lol

Also i belive jesus supposedly taught equality, so its strange his decipeds would be descrinianting, if they were really from them, and not the edited properganda they have slowly been changed in to from the original form "/
Most of it was actualy writen by a single guy named peter, in the form of letters, there was a big meating called by the powerful people at the time to decised what was to go in and what was to be left out, these people were power hungery so changed everything in the favor, this was a good 500 years after jesus supposedly lived.

I googled it:

Your craving will be for your husband, and he will dominate you.” (Genesis 3:16) Critics point to this as a judgment of Eve by God and as divine approval of woman’s subjection by man. However, rather than a declaration of God’s purpose, this is an accurate statement of the sad consequences of sin and rejection of God’s sovereignty. Abuse of women is the direct result of mankind’s fallen nature, not God’s will. Wives in many cultures have indeed been dominated by their husbands, often in very harsh ways. But this was not God’s purpose.

Both Adam and Eve were made in God’s image. Moreover, they received the same mandate from God to become fruitful, fill the earth, and subdue it. They were to work together as a team. (Genesis 1:27, 28) Clearly, at that point neither was cruelly dominating the other. Genesis 1:31 says: “God saw everything he had made and, look! it was very good.”

In some cases Bible accounts do not indicate God’s view on a matter. They may just be historical narrative. The account of Lot offering his daughters to the Sodomites is related without moral commentary or judgment by God.*—Genesis 19:6-8.

The fact is, God hates all forms of exploitation and abuse. (Exodus 22:22; Deuteronomy 27:19; Isaiah 10:1, 2) The Mosaic Law condemned rape and prostitution. (Leviticus 19:29; Deuteronomy 22:23-29) Adultery was prohibited, and the penalty was death for both parties. (Leviticus 20:10) Rather than discriminate against women, the Law elevated and protected them from the rampant exploitation common in the surrounding nations. A capable Jewish wife was a highly respected and esteemed individual. (Proverbs 31:10, 28-30) The Israelites’ failure to follow God’s laws on showing respect for women was their fault, not God’s will. (Deuteronomy 32:5) Ultimately, God judged and punished the nation as a whole for their flagrant disobedience

that what I found if you can make sense of it =]

Filipe
08-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Catholics ftw. Im portuguese so i have to be catholic. =]

Bioda
17-12-2006, 03:30 AM
:eusa_clap I am not really sure but I'm in between Agnostic and Athiest. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_wall :eusa_danc

Sony.Com
17-12-2006, 03:49 AM
Im Christian:)
But I find that christain and catholic are almost the same. So its almost like ur two religions.

timROGERS
17-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Christian :)

JT-Fan
21-12-2006, 01:52 PM
i am a hindu

benjamin
21-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Catholics ftw. Im portuguese so i have to be catholic. =]
you don't have to do anything.

JT-Fan
21-12-2006, 01:54 PM
yeah what lehal said, no one should force you to be a certain religion because of your culture/background.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!