PDA

View Full Version : How I told my mum that I was gay.

Liriel
04-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Hello there, well, some of you know that I'm gay. (Lesbian) I told my mum about 6 months ago and she took it well! I just thought I'd share my story about how I told my parents that I was gay and it maybe able to help you. Well, it all started when on a Saturday I was with her alone and wanted to tell her, of course I was nervous, anything which isn't considered 'normal' by society is frowned upon but people that are gay are now being more accepted into the community and I have great friends who understand me. They don't care if I was an alien, they would still love me!

Anyway, it was Saturday and I wanted to tell her, firstly, I made sure that it was just the two of us. (Thats an important factor), you don't want to be in the middle of what you want to say and your dad/brother(s)/sister(s) walk in, so make sure you are completely alone and know that you will be for the next few hours.

After sitting down with a drink, I made sure we were both comfy and that we had something to drink/eat, it just calms the atmosphere I find. Well, after breaking in to eating, I said to her that I needed to tell her something important. Make her know that it is important to you! It is important to you so make sure you say that its important, if its important to you she will respect that.
Her attention will then be focused on you, make sure you have eye contact and not staring at your shoes. That just makes you feel even more nervous, try and look at her/him. Start off by saying something like "Mum, I'm your daughter and you'll always love me, right?" I said that and she went "Oh my god, you're not pregnant are you?" And that made the mood lighten up and we both laughed. Make sure the atmosphere is a nice one! I then put my hand on her leg and told her that I had always felt different and that I wasn't always sure about myself, now, she will have full focus on you now. Tell her that you're not changed.

She then wanted to know what was actually the thing In wanted to tell her, I then told her directly that I was gay. She was a first shocked but she saw from what I said to her that I was still the same and that it was important to me. I kept telling her that I'm still her daughter and wouldn't change. She said, (Because I told her first and came to her about something this important) that she didn't care what my sexuality was and that she loved me no matter what.

So yeah, thats my story. I hope that can help anyone on here that is going to tell their parents/friends.

- Liriel

benjamin
04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
well done on that :]

can i ask, how old're you?

i made a thread helping people with this sort of thing, it's stickied at the top of this section ^^

Liriel
04-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm 17.

benjamin
04-12-2006, 06:24 PM
ah right.

i'm 15, and my mum, dad and two of my friends know.

Casanova
04-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Well done. It's good how you prepared yourself, the situation and your mother herself for the initial shock. That is probably one of the best ways to do it!

Alterate
05-12-2006, 09:48 PM
There I was thinking you were male.. :s

efq
05-12-2006, 09:54 PM
I fought you male :|

Anyway thats a great guide. That will help alot of people to come.

Herman
06-12-2006, 01:08 AM
It's a great guide, but tbh I don't think all parents will accept their child's sexuality straight away like that, you're lucky!

But good guide anyway.

Liriel
06-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, most of you should check the 'sex' status under someones name before thinking that. :p

:Hazel
06-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Good advice because alot of people make threads as they don't know how to tell parents etc.

uh huh her
06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
thats what i did with my mum, cept i didn't really say 'im gay', i told her i was like james [my sisters best mate who's gay]. i think she was a bit shocked, but she was fine with it!
great advice for those who aren't too sure how to tell her though!

GJay
08-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Oh you're so funny Karl. Lol. He's a lesbian xD

fitcovboy
08-12-2006, 09:09 PM
I didn't tell my parents, i didn't need to. i just told my sister i knew she would blab it to everyone lol.

TJHughes.
10-01-2007, 01:15 PM
I didn't tell my parents, i didn't need to. i just told my sister i knew she would blab it to everyone lol.

Few things,

Great story
What if you don't live with your parents at the current time
What if you have no brothers or sisters
How do you tell your Nan?
How do you say it at a young teen age?
I can't turn around and say I'm like the Mayor of Blackpool can I?

king_maxx
10-01-2007, 08:39 PM
So many gays come from England, I swear England is going to become a gay country

yessaJOSH.
20-01-2007, 11:14 PM
NICE GUIDE X

CAN HELP OTHER PEOPLE WHO FEEL THIS WAY.

DiscoPat
22-01-2007, 09:15 PM
gr8 guide

louder
23-01-2007, 04:45 PM
hm, yer - i'll take some of that to mind when i'm a bit older and completely sure about my sexuality.

another good way is to write a note - say what you gotta say, say you don't want them to mention it hwne you come back, write where your going + just go out.
simple.
my friend did it - worked for him a treat.

-Soph-
23-01-2007, 11:57 PM
well done! it takes a lot to do that..

J00BI
25-01-2007, 06:54 PM
gd guide

Homosexual
18-02-2007, 10:27 PM
It's not as easy as it sounds. I can't do that. My parent's would go mad. :(

womanizer
19-02-2007, 03:04 AM
I don't plan on telling mine. I had to deny it to my dad to avoid getting hit.

Homosexual
19-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Tell 'em when yourl ike 20. you can fight back lolklz.

-Soph-
19-02-2007, 10:20 PM
i'm thinking about telling my mum, it would be easy too, she keeps on asking me all the time rofl, and saying that she doesn't mind if I am.
Maybe she knows i'm bi rofl.

I told a few friends at my old school in the uk, but I dont think I will now ive moved because apparently they dont take to it as well in the US?

zepie
19-03-2007, 07:44 PM

lolllll. thats like my sister. exept im not homosexual :P

Lukeh
19-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Awh well done, yr story is a nice one =]

Me, well I was drunk, in a gay bar and decided it would be a good idea to tell her via txt msg

Not proud of that one

benjamin
25-03-2007, 10:24 AM
This is a load of crap because the person who posted it, is a boy and getting married to GJay :rolleyes:

Posh!
28-03-2007, 02:32 PM
This is a load of crap because the person who posted it, is a boy and getting married to GJay :rolleyes:
Really :o :o :o

Browney
28-03-2007, 03:15 PM
i'm thinking about telling my mum, it would be easy too, she keeps on asking me all the time rofl, and saying that she doesn't mind if I am.
Maybe she knows i'm bi rofl.

I told a few friends at my old school in the uk, but I dont think I will now ive moved because apparently they dont take to it as well in the US?

Nope. Or too well to saying "God loves the gays."

StripedTiger
30-03-2007, 11:49 PM
yeah mines not much different *nods and slowly turns into shaking my head* LOL

i kinda had an accident and ended up in hospital. whilst i was in the room, my stepdad, dad and yougner sister (they all knew - my dad was ignorant of it but it wasnt really that bothering tbh). they all mentioned to my mum that i wasnt straight. my dad said lesbian and my lil sister and step-dad said bisexual (im biseual btw) and my mum and odler sister were like O_o sicne when? and then my mum went off it cos i hadnt told her ;D she was like SHE DOESNT SHE BEEPING TELL ME ! then beeped alot :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!