PDA

View Full Version : tornado in London Today!

crans
07-12-2006, 06:37 PM
:O

It's true.

I'm only like 25 mins from where it happened!
Destoried alot of homes and injured few people!

JonJonStress
07-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Never heard of a tornado in England before..... thinking about it weird. Same with that earthquake a few years back.

*clar
07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
LOL. i didnt even notice :rolleyes:

Dan2nd
07-12-2006, 06:55 PM
got any pictures?

cocaine
07-12-2006, 06:56 PM
I live about 5 miles where it was.

We saw the fork of lightening, and a massive BOOM CLASH BANG followed.

The ground shook, and it sounded like a plane crashing :[

cocaine
07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Edit; Ah, sorry for double post, the forum lagged

Don't infraction me pleez =]

Dan2nd
07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
what i found

Six hurt as tornado hits London

Tornado damage

In pictures: London tornado
'It was like The Wizard of Oz'
Six people were injured and up to 150 houses were damaged when a tornado swept through several London streets leaving a trail of destruction.
Rooftops were ripped off and cars were badly damaged as the twister hit the Kensal Rise area of north-west London.

One man suffered a serious head injury and five have been treated for minor injuries and shock.

Fire services have sealed six roads in a zone covering a quarter of a square mile and searched 100 properties.

Fire crews were called at about 1100 GMT on Thursday to Chamberlayne Road and surrounding streets, amid reports of collapsed scaffolding and damage to buildings.

Witnesses said there was heavy rain and sleet, then debris flying through the air.

Resident Colin Brewer said: "It was really, really incredible. All of a sudden I saw a swirl starting to form and then, it was amazing, but it then touched land.

One user's picture diary

"I then saw clumps of all sorts of things flying into air.

"It went from exciting to terrifying."

He reported seeing trees ripped up from the roots, front doors missing, windows smashed and people being hit on the head by flying objects.

The UK experiences an estimated 50 tornadoes on land each year, putting it top of the European twister league.

The BBC Weather Centre said the tornado lasted less than minute.

"To see a tornado is not that unusual - but the magnitude of the damage due to the one in north-west London is," said BBC meteorologist Susan Powell.

She said the tornado formed due to a lot of energy in the air across the UK, producing widespread heavy thunderstorms with gusty winds.

"However, in the case of the shower in London, the massive up and down draughts came into phase, spiralling and forming a tornado," she said.

Local resident Daniel Bidgood: "I was in my living room and I heard a big crack of lightning and thunder, then as I went to the window I heard a sound which was like standing behind a jetliner.

"I could see a huge cloud rolling up the street, making this tremendous sound.

"I went to try to take a picture of it but a shower of debris smashed all the windows of my house."

London Ambulance Service said a man, thought to be in his 50s, was treated for a head injury and is expected to be released from hospital later on Thursday. Five others were treated for shock and minor injuries at the scene.

Insurance cost

Dave Bonner, of the London Fire Brigade, said about 50 fire fighters have searched over 100 properties and found several people injured.

Residents will not be allowed to return to their homes until the area is deemed safe.

Brent Council has set up a respite centre at the nearby Legion Hall on Albert Road for residents who have been made temporarily homeless.

"The council has sent officers, including tree and building experts, and contractors, to help with removing fallen trees and damaged properties," said a council statement.

Insurance experts said it was too early to estimate the cost of the damage, but the 2005 Birmingham tornado ran into tens of millions of pounds.

Tiuhdur
07-12-2006, 07:04 PM
this just is more proof global warming is occuring now!!!

YellowParasol
07-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Not really unusual to see a Tornado in England. When there are Tornado's here in England the places there's likely to be one is the Midlands and East Anglia.

There was a Tornado in Peterborough last year which was near us.

Dan2nd
07-12-2006, 07:27 PM

not really =l we get about 50 tornados in the uk every year

benjamin
07-12-2006, 07:30 PM
eh i heard about this.

Ant-Rock-God
08-12-2006, 07:40 AM
i heard about this..

O.o

simon305
08-12-2006, 11:16 AM
There was allso a tornado in leeds and a person died, it was about a month and a half ago

PenguinFluid
08-12-2006, 11:17 AM
HAPPENED IN GLOUCESTER MY WINDOWS AND ROOF WAS PULLED OFF :O

James!
08-12-2006, 11:18 AM
I remember one in Birmingham a while back, went all the way through Kings Heath and destroyed everything on it's way through lol.

---MAD---
08-12-2006, 11:58 AM
:O

It's true.

I'm only like 25 mins from where it happened!
Destoried alot of homes and injured few people!
No way :o! I never imagined that to happen in London.

benjamin
08-12-2006, 11:59 AM
HAPPENED IN GLOUCESTER MY WINDOWS AND ROOF WAS PULLED OFF :O
..yet you're on the pc? :rolleyes:

Lovedove..
08-12-2006, 03:01 PM
yeh blew my house of wen i was on da computer lol

Tiuhdur
08-12-2006, 03:49 PM
not really =l we get about 50 tornados in the uk every year

point taken but global wariming is here anyway

current throries are that by 2050 the sealine will move inland by miles probably bursting the thames barrier and flooding london if we dont cut carbon emmmisions by 70% by then

Machine Head
08-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I would love to witness a tornado with the eye, aslong as I wasn't a victim of course ;)

And this is like, the first tornado I've probably ever heard about in the World?

Anyways, 'tis quite shocking.

Dan2nd
08-12-2006, 06:32 PM
point taken but global wariming is here anyway

current throries are that by 2050 the sealine will move inland by miles probably bursting the thames barrier and flooding london if we dont cut carbon emmmisions by 70% by then

yeh I know that :p the uk will be made up of little islands =]

CrazyCali
08-12-2006, 07:31 PM
I live in the US and tornado's happen alot. But for me the last time it happen was 1992 when I was 7 on the last day of school during lunch. that stunk

--ss--
08-12-2006, 07:35 PM
:o that explain the heavy wind and thunder yesterday :o
at least there was no fatals , but i would have never expected a tonado to be in london O.o

efq
08-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I am fasenated by tornado's. Ive never seen one. but i will

When im Older im going to be a Storm chaser. In US.

I would love to go to a tornado F5!! WOO Chase it. There the best and wish i was in one :[

Herman
09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Oh dear, I hope nobody died. I'm quite glad singapore doesn't get tornadoes, the winds around here aren't strong enough to create one.

RedStratocas
09-12-2006, 01:51 PM

Not really, rising temperatures dont really affect tornados. They effect other storms like hurricanes.

And if someone actually needs more proof as of now that global warming is real, then there is something seriously wrong with them.

Yggdrasill
09-12-2006, 03:01 PM
yeh, I heard..

Naythi.
14-12-2006, 02:10 PM
yeh but still there is more than ever now !

Global warming Is Happening but nobody cares !

We will realy No about it one day when The Planet Blows Up ! LOL !

Luckyrare
14-12-2006, 02:13 PM
MMM... There was one in Leeds not to long ago this isnt just a odd one. We get a number of small ones in England every year.

PLUS@GLOBAL WARMING: The water was not to long ago (in the earths sence) was 70m higher. 2m of water wont change anything much, plus they are saying the ozone layer is fixing its self.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!