PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii being sued

PaulMacC
09-12-2006, 06:37 PM
The Nintendo Wii is currently being sued for copying the wireless remote idea or something like that. IGN.com has all the details. Could this mean the wii going off the market . Nintendo have to pay the company x3 what they have made on the Wii's so far. Will they Take the wii off the market or keep it on to make more $ :P I dont know but I've got my Wii so they cant take that away. But Im not aloud to play until Christmas. For more information visit IGN.com

Grindie
09-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Full article:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/750/750001p1.html

womanizer
09-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Is it cause the controller was breaking everyone tvs?

letisix
09-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Maybe becuase They Copyied the Exacted Copy? Any way sad it's Getting Sued :(

Josh-H
09-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Is it cause the controller was breaking everyone tvs?

No:rolleyes:

And omg :o shame on ninty!:(

poll
09-12-2006, 07:08 PM
if they stop making geez that wil lsuck they wont produce games or anything so another pointless console lol

Josh-H
09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
I believe if they get sued that could continue making it if they payed a HUGE amount of money to the company sueing ;)

PaulMacC
09-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Yes quite true indeed

SuperCool
09-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Are they defently being sued? if so lmaoo, the wii looks cool but lmao would love to see a big company get sued

timROGERS
09-12-2006, 07:16 PM
I seriously doubt the person will win :P

PaulMacC
09-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I dont think the Wii's will be taken off the market

Neil
09-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Nintendo wont take the console off because of this, they are a multi million company, they will be able to pay for this all anyway, and they can't lose the case due to the fact it's a stupid excuse, you can't put copyright on a method, if so then company's would start putting copyright on any odd junk, not only that Nintendo's was an official release so they can't lose to an idea

reindeer.
09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Summed it all up ^^^

GommeInc
09-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Just because it sounds the same doesn't mean it was from the same idea :rolleyes: Some people just want to be known. The Wiimote has a major purpose in the Wii, what this company has is something that isn't necessarily needed for a computer "/

Homesrfan
09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
I don't really know a lot about this kinda stuff... but cant' they just buy the patent. Immersion sued all three major consoles because of the rumble feature for some reason. Nintendo and Microsoft just bought a patent but Sony didn't and lost the case. That's what I heard atleast.

Anyways, they have no case. It would be VERY stupid if Interlink won this.

Dan
09-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Nintendo wont take the console off because of this, they are a multi million company, they will be able to pay for this all anyway, and they can't lose the case due to the fact it's a stupid excuse, you can't put copyright on a method, if so then company's would start putting copyright on any odd junk, not only that Nintendo's was an official release so they can't lose to an idea

What Neil said :P it aint gonna stop Nintendo, long live the Wii!!

Neversoft
09-12-2006, 09:04 PM
The other company won't win. Suing over having a "trigger element", what next...

Jazza
09-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Exactly, loads of consoles have a trigger stlye button on them (XBOX has L and R, Nintendo 64 Has 'Z' Trigger) It's been done before.

Another thaught: Imagine if the Wii was taken off the market, they would become a rare console and sell for hundreds of pounds online, cos they've only been in the shops for 2 days (at time of post) and all the consoles that went to shops have been sold.

Josh-H
09-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Exactly, loads of consoles have a trigger stlye button on them (XBOX has L and R, Nintendo 64 Has 'Z' Trigger) It's been done before.

Another thaught: Imagine if the Wii was taken off the market, they would become a rare console and sell for hundreds of pounds online, cos they've only been in the shops for 2 days (at time of post) and all the consoles that went to shops have been sold.

Online would never be developed and there would be no further game development though...

GommeInc
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM

I think it would be the opposite. Yes only a limited amount would of been given out, but they would go down hill, no games to play them on other than Wii Sports or games you bought with it. It would be crap after a few months...

HUGECOOL
09-12-2006, 09:29 PM
(First, I'd like to say to the OP that Nintendo is being sued, not the Nintendo Wii, since it isn't a company.)

Lawsuits of this nature are very stupid. The patent creator basically describes a new technology very long-windedly and in a somewhat vague manner, so when a technology similar to their patent is created, they wait to see if the product is successful enough to be sued. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have all used pressurized controls in their input devices and it's very strange that Interlink chose to target the lawsuit on Nintendo alone.

In short, no, the last thing Nintendo wants to do is abruptly remove one of their most popular consoles because a company no one knows anything about. Most likely, Interlink will lose the case against Nintendo and everything will return to normal. But Nintendo may just buy the rights to use their technology since their doing pretty good financially.

Simmzay
09-12-2006, 09:46 PM
N64 had a trigger button before Interlink's patent was created. Isn't that what this is all about, the trigger itself?

Also: Anything related to "resembling" the Wii-remote won't get very far. The wii-remote was intentionally made to resemble a TV remote, so technically both products resemble earlier creations.

Homesrfan
09-12-2006, 11:37 PM
"trigger operated device in the nature of a pointing device for use with an electronic system such as a computer."

It's not just a trigger operated device but also a POINTING DEVICE!!! OMG!!

Honestly, this is just pathetic. Interlink has no money so they sue Nintendo.

T0M
09-12-2006, 11:43 PM
matt go on msn :p

ontopic:

nintendo will win the case

PriceTags
10-12-2006, 12:37 AM

it's not copyright on a method, it's a patent on a product. a patent stops someone from making a competitor product or something the same. since the wiimote's not exactly a competitor, or the same, nintendo should win!

Infrontation
10-12-2006, 12:51 AM

Lol, as pricetags saids its a patented product. Looks bugger all like Wii in my opinion from that diagram but hey. The slightest thing against a patent and there demanding millions.

Luckyrare
10-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Thats daft. Its like patenting something so simple, like a stick.

Something that has a triger and can point at a TV it says, so I guess they will sue console guns? I dont think you could make it any broader.

Its like me going to pantent a shape. I would be suprised they win, I am suprised they could pantent that

Simmzay
10-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Thats daft. Its like patenting something so simple, like a stick.

Something that has a triger and can point at a TV it says, so I guess they will sue console guns? I dont think you could make it any broader.

Its like me going to pantent a shape. I would be suprised they win, I am suprised they could pantent that
Exactly, whoever approved it should be in serious trouble. It's an extremely vague description of the product in the patent itself, usually it requires much specificness, not just something too general it could be related to almost any electronic device.

Also, they didn't patent the product, they did the method. At least I'm pretty sure they did anyway.

SimplyTech
10-12-2006, 08:21 PM
If ninty cant sue sony over stealing the dpad, shoulder buttons, analogue stick etc they cant be sued over this

alexxxxx
10-12-2006, 08:39 PM
It's without merit, the judge should surely throw this one out.

Bear-Max
10-12-2006, 09:04 PM
If ninty cant sue sony over stealing the dpad, shoulder buttons, analogue stick etc they cant be sued over this
Actually, they could sue Sony if PlayStations started using the traditional + shaped D-pad. Notice how Ninty is the only console maker with that shaped pad?

I think this is a ridiculous lawsuit. The Immersion rumble case was fair enough: Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft were using specific technology that didn't belong to them. But a trigger on a remote? Surely it's a joke.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!