PDA

View Full Version : 7.1 Earthquake in Taiwan Disrupts Internet

Ace
27-12-2006, 01:02 PM
It seems that some undersea cables were destroyed. Not many people died [last I heard was 2] but the inconvenience is widespread. Damn.

"Internet and phone services were disrupted across much of Asia on Wednesday after an earthquake damaged undersea cables, leaving one of the world's most tech-savvy regions in a virtual blackout."

"The disruption was widespread, hitting China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong and elsewhere, with knock-on effects as far away as Australia for companies whose Internet is routed through affected areas."

The part that upsets me most:

"It is not a matter of days," said Hong Seoung-Yong, an official with South Korea's information and communication ministry. "It will take longer than that to repair the damaged lines."

Why do the worst things happen around Christmas? They said that the possibility of a tsunami hittin Taiwan has passed. Thank God.

-:Undertaker:-
27-12-2006, 01:54 PM
oo.0, Imagine if the whole world's internet crashed one day ;o

Roboevil
27-12-2006, 01:58 PM

omg i might have to like go outside n stuff!

Herman
27-12-2006, 02:06 PM
"The disruption was widespread, hitting China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong and elsewhere, with knock-on effects as far away as Australia for companies whose Internet is routed through affected areas."
That probably explains why my internet is so dodgy today.

Over here in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, it's been raining for days and floods have already occured in some parts of Malaysia and Indonesia. Seems like natural disasters are happening everywhere.

Ace
27-12-2006, 02:15 PM
That probably explains why my internet is so dodgy today.

Over here in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, it's been raining for days and floods have already occured in some parts of Malaysia and Indonesia. Seems like natural disasters are happening everywhere.

Lol, its always rainy in SEA around December. Havent u noticed after all of these years? Oh & btw, I had some other stuff to say but I dont wanna write everything again like I had to when I posted the news. Internet connection keeps cutting. Anyways, I wanna watch Monday Night Raw now. Hehees :p

Herman
27-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Lol, its always rainy in SEA around December. Havent u noticed after all of these years? Oh & btw, I had some other stuff to say but I dont wanna write everything again like I had to when I posted the news. Internet connection keeps cutting. Anyways, I wanna watch Monday Night Raw now. Hehees :p
Yes, of course I have. I've been living here since birth. :rolleyes: Due to the monsoon season (aka the rainy season), it usually rains in SEA during the december period. But this year it seems the strong winds have brought more rain than usual and is causing more floods.

-:Undertaker:-
27-12-2006, 02:33 PM
omg i might have to like go outside n stuff!

I mean like all the Computers and companys would go down :o

Swastika
27-12-2006, 04:12 PM
If their professional, they'd sort it out though ;)

FlyingJesus
27-12-2006, 04:18 PM
If their professional, they'd sort it out though ;)

With messenger pigeons and young boys on mules delivering hand-written letters with wax seals.

StainCast
27-12-2006, 06:32 PM
It just goes to show how much the world depends on the internet and computing. It's bad news though i guess. Wonder how long it will take to repair them all? ;o

DJ-Ali
27-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I wait for the day when we all die. No really I do.

FlyingJesus
27-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I wait for the day when we all die. No really I do.

You're such a goth.

DiscoPat
27-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah I agree, if suddenly the Internet and phone lines went down, the world would be over with a finger click, as it will affect everything, alot of people will take advantage etc, and alot more. :eusa_wall

:o:o:o:o

Jazza
03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I noticed that the internet was down, I have some programs on my comp that recieve channels from the east and those channels stopped working a while ago, must be why

:Hazel
03-01-2007, 10:03 AM
It is kinda weird that things happen in the same places at the same time of year. :s

ElectricBanana
03-01-2007, 11:06 AM

then there would be one day of chaos, everywhere, like the end of the world, the internet links everything these days...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!