PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with the Wii

Bear-Max
27-12-2006, 11:45 PM
So, after weeks of trying to track down a Wii (including some very early morning trips to Virgin Megastores and bus journeys a-plenty) I finally got a Wii that my Mum's mate had ordered but didn't need.

And after being so excited, I just feel underwhelmed. Wii Sports is absolutely brilliant, and for a good few hours I've had a laugh playing. However the system's really not offering me anything else. Zelda... I thought I'd love it, but it's just not my cup of tea. I also thought that the Wiimote would be PERFECT for FPSes, but alas after borrowing Red Steel and playing CoD3 at a friends I find the controls extremely flawed. I could run rings around a Wiimote user if I had a joypad any day. There's just no games at all that interest me given the shovelware-filled launch lineup. The only games I really want to play are SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy and WarioWare. But do 3 games warrant the purchase of a console?

To exacerbate the problems, I'm also in the pickle of being left-handed. Not only would I normally use the movement analogue stick with my left thumb, but I hold a remote with my left hand. That means I'm left at a disadvantage whatever way I hold the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

Not to mention that the whole Wii interface is pretty pedestrian compared to that of the 360 (and even the PS3 if you get over the plainness of it all).

I'm just not as impressed as I thought I'd be, really. And even after all the "new console excitement", I just want to go back to playing Gears of War. I feel like I've just wasted £185, and I can't even return it.

Oh and by the way, none of the "omgzorz ur an idiott!111!", because opinions aren't what make intellect. And none of the "give it 2 me", because we both know that's not happening.

T0M
27-12-2006, 11:55 PM
i like the wii but i guess its all wat your into and all tht

@K
27-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Try and sell it on ebay or something.

Aeon
28-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Myself after spending over 3 weeks tracking one down ...

I found myself very unhappy with the quality of the Wii, I heard so much about simple was best but i saw it as totally the opposite. Not only is the Wii very simple but i dont find any depth in it (feel free to argue) but i feel that when you opt to use a joystick you find the games fairly basic and there isn't too much to it ...

I returned mine though to the comet shop assistants horror who looked at me like i'd done something wrong (I laughed).

I had fun, but it wasn't worth it for me :)

Digital
28-12-2006, 12:03 AM
So, after weeks of trying to track down a Wii (including some very early morning trips to Virgin Megastores and bus journeys a-plenty) I finally got a Wii that my Mum's mate had ordered but didn't need.

And after being so excited, I just feel underwhelmed. Wii Sports is absolutely brilliant, and for a good few hours I've had a laugh playing. However the system's really not offering me anything else. Zelda... I thought I'd love it, but it's just not my cup of tea. I also thought that the Wiimote would be PERFECT for FPSes, but alas after borrowing Red Steel and playing CoD3 at a friends I find the controls extremely flawed. I could run rings around a Wiimote user if I had a joypad any day. There's just no games at all that interest me given the shovelware-filled launch lineup. The only games I really want to play are SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy and WarioWare. But do 3 games warrant the purchase of a console?

To exacerbate the problems, I'm also in the pickle of being left-handed. Not only would I normally use the movement analogue stick with my left thumb, but I hold a remote with my left hand. That means I'm left at a disadvantage whatever way I hold the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

Not to mention that the whole Wii interface is pretty pedestrian compared to that of the 360 (and even the PS3 if you get over the plainness of it all).

I'm just not as impressed as I thought I'd be, really. And even after all the "new console excitement", I just want to go back to playing Gears of War. I feel like I've just wasted £185, and I can't even return it.

Oh and by the way, none of the "omgzorz ur an idiott!111!", because opinions aren't what make intellect. And none of the "give it 2 me", because we both know that's not happening.

If you really don't like it sell it on ebay you should get you're money back no probs

summer
28-12-2006, 12:08 AM
i was going to get one today (instead opted for a 360). it's great technology, but i think it's not being put to good use. with most nintendo titles (super smash bros, super mario galaxy, new metroid, new warioware) not out until summer 2007 at the very earliest, it's just not worth your £170 right now in my opinion.

Neversoft
28-12-2006, 01:00 AM
I like the Wii, it is a very smart piece of technology. But I am rather disappointed by the games and the control system they have. It's seems that the games developed and published by Nintendo are excellent and control very well. But others have horrendous controls. I cannot help thinking that they could have done alot better!
I was really looking forward to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. But after playing it for 30 minutes, I was not pleased at all. The controls are... playable, I imagine that I will get used to them sooner or later. But it is the fact that the nunchuck controls the camera views that really flaws it. And there is no option to turn it off. The game is published by Activision, now they're a big company. I know that they can do better. I am not disappointed with the Wii but I am disappointed with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and a few others that I will not go into at the moment.

T0M
28-12-2006, 04:57 AM
i agree with death there could b better games

Dal
28-12-2006, 06:43 AM
The hype for it seemed creditable enough to buy after reading some of the views and comments on it, i seem to go back to my old view on the wii that it doesn't live up to the 360 at all.
I'll probably stick to my 360 that performs just as it should.

maz906
28-12-2006, 08:29 AM
If you don't want it then sell it on Ebay since people have been selling the, for £800 and easily selling them.

Nick:
28-12-2006, 12:22 PM
If you don't want it then sell it on Ebay since people have been selling the, for £800 and easily selling them.

lmao £800 yeh right man, the most i seen 1 go for was like £450 with 5 games, but still if you want to sell it put it on ebay you will make a small profit ;) they sell for about £250 on ebay at the moment

check this out
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-Sealed-5-Games-Nunchuck-Remote_W0QQitemZ230070706364QQihZ013QQcategoryZ755 55QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

CrabRacket
28-12-2006, 12:28 PM
It was like that when I bought the wii, however you do tend to find that when you play the Wii for a while you get accustomed to the controls. Since the controls are being used by two hands, you exercise both parts of your brain. Give it a chance for longer and you'll soon find it fun!
P.S. Try the army games; they are the best!

GommeInc
28-12-2006, 01:06 PM
It was like that when I bought the wii, however you do tend to find that when you play the Wii for a while you get accustomed to the controls. Since the controls are being used by two hands, you exercise both parts of your brain. Give it a chance for longer and you'll soon find it fun!
P.S. Try the army games; they are the best!
Indeed and to add to this, they're trying to make it different, so the controls you had for the Gamecube/N64 would be different. I used to use my left hand for Gamecube which is where the Wii is similar to, and my right hand for the N64, which is different completely.

Just get used to it really, you shouldn't expect a console to have the same controls *glares at Playstation and PS2*.

F32
28-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Just for your information, Wii's are selling in excess of £300 inc.p&p.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-BNIB-5-games-Nunchuck-and-Remote_W0QQitemZ230071017379QQihZ013QQcategoryZ620 54QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Update:

This is silly really:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NINTENDO-Wii-Console-5-Free-Games-Nunchuk-Remote_W0QQitemZ160067337895QQihZ006QQcategoryZ620 54QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
£440 inc.p&p

GabboPolize
28-12-2006, 08:35 PM

If you like wii sports you NEED wii play. Legend of zelda bored me at first infact i played it for about 10 mins and then didnt play it for like a week but give it a chance get into the goron mines and thats when it really begins to shine. As for Red steel i bought it and was rather dissapointed but after a few levels i got into it and understood the control system then it becomes great while it lasts [Its pretty short]. Oh yeh raymans great fun too :P

Neversoft
28-12-2006, 09:54 PM
If you like wii sports you NEED wii play. Legend of zelda bored me at first infact i played it for about 10 mins and then didnt play it for like a week but give it a chance get into the goron mines and thats when it really begins to shine. As for Red steel i bought it and was rather dissapointed but after a few levels i got into it and understood the control system then it becomes great while it lasts [Its pretty short]. Oh yeh raymans great fun too :P

I agree with the bit about Zelda. First place is easy, Forest temple is boring and takes ages, Goron mines is easy aswell but when you chase the moblin onto hyrule field, that is EXCELLENT!

brandon
28-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah I'm also left handed.. I would want a Wii but Zelda etc isn't my cup of tea. The only games I'd probably play is Warioware, Mario, COD3 and Wii Sports. (With the annoyance of COD3 being hard with the remote left hand.)

Bear-Max
28-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I've been playing Wii Sports a bit more and well... I'm not really sure what to do. If I get rid of this one there's no stopping my buying one again down the line when there are more games I want (SSBB, Elebits, Trauma Centre) available.

And I know I go on about gameplay over graphics (and I love my DS because of that) but after playing the 360 for a year the Wii's graphics feel dated, especially in games like Zelda. I really wish they hadn't gone for realism, and instead stuck with the cel-shaded from Wind Waker. At least then it would have been stylised and not looking so ugly compared to the PS3 and 360 games.

brandon
28-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I've been playing Wii Sports a bit more and well... I'm not really sure what to do. If I get rid of this one there's no stopping my buying one again down the line when there are more games I want (SSBB, Elebits, Trauma Centre) available.

And I know I go on about gameplay over graphics (and I love my DS because of that) but after playing the 360 for a year the Wii's graphics feel dated, especially in games like Zelda. I really wish they hadn't gone for realism, and instead stuck with the cel-shaded from Wind Waker. At least then it would have been stylised and not looking so ugly compared to the PS3 and 360 games.
I'd sell it on Ebay. Even though it's post-christmas you could get quite a bit of money, maybe a slight profit.

summer
28-12-2006, 10:08 PM
yeah i'd recommend eBay selling it.

Oni
28-12-2006, 10:17 PM

The cell shaded bits a bit tricky as if they had gone with cel shaded alot of people would of complained it wasnt a 'real loz'.

Jamexy
28-12-2006, 11:18 PM
I feel Nintendos attempt to bring something new has sort of worked. Ok its not perfect but the amount of interest in it has proved to be quite a achivement. The Wii doesn't have the best of games out yet, but considering the 360 has been out a year it OBVIOUSLY has the better selection of games. This time next year the Wii will have a nice amount of games out (Mario, Wario Ware, Elebits, SSBB, Metroid, Etc.). Its just a matter if you can give it a chance.

Bear-Max
28-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I feel Nintendos attempt to bring something new has sort of worked. Ok its not perfect but the amount of interest in it has proved to be quite a achivement. The Wii doesn't have the best of games out yet, but considering the 360 has been out a year it OBVIOUSLY has the better selection of games. This time next year the Wii will have a nice amount of games out (Mario, Wario Ware, Elebits, SSBB, Metroid, Etc.). Its just a matter if you can give it a chance.
Yeah of course. But I also got a 360 close to launch, and the games then satisfied me fine. I thoroughly enjoyed Kameo and PDZ.

Well I've sorted it out and my Mum's mate knows someone else who wants it. I'm just going to give it back and she'll give me my money back. I thought about eBaying it, but it would have been a bit out of order considering the only reason she didn't put it on eBay herself was because I really wanted one.

When more games come out that I want, I'll probably buy another one.

Hoax
28-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Is Wii all virtual reality? Or is there actual games like on xbox and playstation?

Homesrfan
29-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Wii is great - but it will be so much better by next summer.

When online comes, that's going to OWN. Metroid Prime will be the dominant FPS for Wii, the Halo of Wii. SSBB will be amazing. I can't wait. But for now I'm happy with Excite Truck, Zelda, and Red Steel. [Although I could do without Red Steel, I wish I would have gotten Elebits! :P]

Don't sell it dude - you'll regret it. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!