PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette-buying age set to rise

Caution
01-01-2007, 02:03 AM
The government is to raise the legal minimum age to purchase tobacco in England and Wales from 16 to 18 years from October.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6216523.stm

Do you agree?

I think it's good, they should raise the age.

habbo skam ]:
01-01-2007, 02:04 AM
its pointless as people just go to *** houses anyway

Lubricant
01-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Can't wait till they ban it full stop! Stupid kids think it's soo cool to smoke.

emobusters
01-01-2007, 05:08 AM
good .

Adam!
01-01-2007, 05:09 AM
Im saying no, just because I smoke..

If I didn't smoke, i'd proberbly be for it but yeah..

It wont stop NOTHING, let them do it - Whatever trevorrrr!

Herman
01-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I want smoking banned altogether. As long as ciragettes are still on sale, underaged people will always find some other way to get them.

Might as well ban it altogether.

-::Mr.Dave::-
01-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Ban altogether

I hate smokers

They stink and are just not nice people at all, there chavs

Hopeless
01-01-2007, 10:27 AM
it isn't pointless

if the age rises people who think about start smoking matuer more and think more about the consquences

Chip.Monk
01-01-2007, 12:00 PM
I said yes, and to the people who said ban smoking altogether, i have some reasons why thats a bad idea.

1. The government make a massive sum of money from the smoking tax, which means they can afford to pay for the smokers hospital bills, and more.

2. If it was banned, it would still be around, not everyone can quit, so it means they would start doing it illigally. This means they have to meet dealers, and get into all the wrong circles, which could cause more deaths, and a rise in crime.

GommeInc
01-01-2007, 01:17 PM
In response to 2, I agree, my dad tried to give up smoking and it gave him stomach ulcers and made him really sick, he is healitheir smoking them. BUT, he only smokes them in the car or in the pool house. Never in public.

My dad isn't a cahv btw, to the person who said all smokers are chavs. Although, all young smokers are either chavs are emos/goth sick of life or just hate life in general.

shiver
01-01-2007, 01:24 PM
i'm for it. smoking is disgusting.

clarissa !!
01-01-2007, 01:26 PM
i dont care

Redmoon Evil
01-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Around my area it wouldn't matter anyway the shops don't really car I can get server for beer any day of week unless they know my parents. And people would just see **** as nothing compared to beer even though **** are worse for you but everyone smokes so the dont see that.

Herman
01-01-2007, 01:36 PM
In response to 2, I agree, my dad tried to give up smoking and it gave him stomach ulcers and made him really sick, he is healitheir smoking them. BUT, he only smokes them in the car or in the pool house. Never in public.
Well your father is different. He's one of those people who are considerate smokers. Most smokers just don't care. They smoke wherever they want like nobody's business. Some even blow the smoke into people's faces.

Prehaps not ban smoking altogether, but just ban them in public. The government should make smoke-designed areas for people who do smoke.

womanizer
01-01-2007, 02:07 PM
No I'm not for it 'cos I love my nicotine hit. But lucky for me I live in Northern Ireland :D

Browney
01-01-2007, 02:33 PM
They can't just ban it. They need to work it through. Let me explain. Stop smoking alltogether now and people of all ages will be stuck. If they increase the age of legally buying them every few years it will keep less people at a younger age smoking.

Adam!
01-01-2007, 03:45 PM
A) Im no chav/emo/goth whatever.
B) It wont work, it's the same as booze - Tell me one person underage that cannot get hold of any?
C) We have a smoking ban coming into place in July that stops us smoking in public places anyway.

But yeah, I don't light up where ever I want.. For example, I wouldn't stand in the middle of London where it's really busy and have a cig.. It's just as easy to move to the side and sit on a wall or whatever and have one!

Most of you don't have a clue what your talking about either.

---MAD---
01-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Yeap the higher the better. They should raise the price too so even less can afford it :p.

They only exist simply because of the tax money the goverment makes out of them :rolleyes:.

omgDAN!
01-01-2007, 04:34 PM
I say no because:
1. It's not doing any harm as it is.
2. The government are looking for little daft things to change.
3. The government are stupid, couldn't they deal with something more important, like sorting out the NHS, or housing or whatever, instead of doing little stupid things like this.

GommeInc
01-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Well your father is different. He's one of those people who are considerate smokers. Most smokers just don't care. They smoke wherever they want like nobody's business. Some even blow the smoke into people's faces.

Prehaps not ban smoking altogether, but just ban them in public. The government should make smoke-designed areas for people who do smoke.
That's more adviseable and thanks for saying my father is different (in the good way). He has told me many time, not to smoke because it will ruin my life etc.

Smoking is doing harm, chavs at the back of my bus are doing harm, randomly smoking because they are cool and think they can get away with it (granted I drive now, so I drive to college). Although you say the government is stupid, they'll be more stupid to ban it as stated somewhere, alot of money comes from the smokers taxes.

Kieeran
01-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Can't wait till they ban it full stop! Stupid kids think it's soo cool to smoke.

Thats so stereotype i smoke i don't think it's cool its just a nasty habit i have n i am not proud, i got into it via smoking drugs n dont think im cool for that tbh i think im a idiot for it hence why ive quit tht but im addicted to ciggerettes n thts my problem

Seacat
01-01-2007, 06:43 PM
By raising the age they are helping the NHS in the long run because people who start smoking in their teenage years are more likely to have lung cancer. Who has to spend thousands sorting out someone with lung cancer? The NHS. So that's saving them money in theory.

People are probably still gonner get their cigs anyway. Just about anyone can get them at the age of 13-14 so I'm not sure it'll work, just re-inforce how dangerous it is. The only way it'll work is if the government impose very hefty fines on shops that are selling them to underage people knowingly (i.e. without asking for ID). That way the shops aren't gonner risk it for £4.50 or however much they are nowadays. Parents who are stupid enough to give them to their kids (and it does happen) should also be fined.

I say no because:
1. It's not doing any harm as it is.
2. The government are looking for little daft things to change.
3. The government are stupid, couldn't they deal with something more important, like sorting out the NHS, or housing or whatever, instead of doing little stupid things like this.

summer
01-01-2007, 06:52 PM
i honestly don't care at all.

Caution
01-01-2007, 06:53 PM
i honestly don't care at all.
Then why post?

Kieeran
01-01-2007, 07:04 PM
By raising the age they are helping the NHS in the long run because people who start smoking in their teenage years are more likely to have lung cancer. Who has to spend thousands sorting out someone with lung cancer? The NHS. So that's saving them money in theory.

People are probably still gonner get their cigs anyway. Just about anyone can get them at the age of 13-14 so I'm not sure it'll work, just re-inforce how dangerous it is. The only way it'll work is if the government impose very hefty fines on shops that are selling them to underage people knowingly (i.e. without asking for ID). That way the shops aren't gonner risk it for £4.50 or however much they are nowadays. Parents who are stupid enough to give them to their kids (and it does happen) should also be fined.

So my moms stupid? My mom knows i won't quit so she said she was my age when she started smoking and it ent going to stop me if she dont fgive them me. and tbh when im stressed i have a go at her so i spose shes helping herself out lol, hell yeah i know she shouldnt encourage me but its better than me doing it behind her back

YoManGo!
01-01-2007, 07:16 PM
It won't stop anything, jsut as it didn't when it was raised to 16, most shops still let kids purchase them anyway.

Seacat
01-01-2007, 07:32 PM
If you are at the legal age to smoke and your moms buying you them then that doesn't matter. If you're below the legal age then yes.

So my moms stupid? My mom knows i won't quit so she said she was my age when she started smoking and it ent going to stop me if she dont fgive them me. and tbh when im stressed i have a go at her so i spose shes helping herself out lol, hell yeah i know she shouldnt encourage me but its better than me doing it behind her back

DiscoPat
01-01-2007, 10:36 PM
couldnt care less tbh

Fonejacker
01-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I get served for booze and im 16... so i could easily get served for **** if the price rised... Alot of people look older than wat they actually are

:Hazel
04-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Yes it will stop kids smoking & getting addicted for life.

joejimbop
06-01-2007, 09:36 AM
You have to be 19 or 21 in Canada.
But you know that doesn't stop anyone.
All my friends smoke it up.

Djcafc.
06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
yer they should theres to many little pykes with their mates who look 16 or 18 what ever it is yo have to be who go around smoking its pointless a waste of time and money

StainCast
07-01-2007, 12:43 AM
I agree that the age limit should be raised. People should not be able to legally buy cigarettes untill they are educated/ mature enough to understand the vast extent of consequences smoking has on their health.

I say it's fantastic news.

Joo xxx

Bren
07-01-2007, 02:16 AM
They shouldnt because ma bro is nearly 16 and an buy them for ma frend n he will take 2 from a 10 deck and 4 from 20 deck (Buyers rights) lol :P :D

Charley
07-01-2007, 04:46 AM
I agree that the age limit should be raised. People should not be able to legally buy cigarettes untill they are educated/ mature enough to understand the vast extent of consequences smoking has on their health.

I say it's fantastic news.

Joo xxx

I agree.

TheLastShadow
07-01-2007, 04:48 AM
Tehy should raise the price instead of the age..that way u can get everyone to quit..

Adam!
07-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Hey, not too worry.. Im sure many kids will just ask the 18 year olds to go to the shop for them, and im pretty sure they'd say yes.

Corner shop, knows im 15 - I am mates with her son - Does she care? - No, lol.

Anyway, my mums not stupid for giving me cigs.. She's helping herself, otherwise I would be stressed out my head and yeah..

But yeahhhh, I'll still get my cigs - Mum, friends or go to spain where they couldnt care how old you are.

JoEsEpHgUy
07-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Im saying no, just because I smoke..

If I didn't smoke, i'd proberbly be for it but yeah..

It wont stop NOTHING, let them do it - Whatever trevorrrr!
I fInK FaT BoIz ShUD Be BaNnD FrOm McdOnALdz*+*+**+

FrozenWhisper
07-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Ban altogether

I hate smokers

They stink and are just not nice people at all, there chavs

My dad smokes.
Yer I know what you mean though. Frankly, people are just going to think it's "cool and adulter" if they raise the age. Just ban them altogether.

Moose Obtuse
07-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Yes this is good...

VINTAGE
07-01-2007, 07:32 PM
ABSERLUTE FANNIE

TJHughes.
07-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I said yes, because the higher they raise it the better. I absolutely cannot stand smokers and the smoke from cigarettes and this is a part of the reason my brother got Pheumonia at the age of less than one year. It nearly killed him because people will not stop smoking/smoke in private.

GommeInc I respect that your father smokes in private, if all smokers did that - it would be better!

beth
07-01-2007, 09:44 PM
no because i'm 16 & finally i can buy my own, now i'll be like.. having to go ask someone to buy them for me again ):

hit1
23-01-2007, 09:53 PM
If you smoke your gay, im against it. U FAIL @ LIFE SMOKERS!!

CrabRacket
23-01-2007, 09:56 PM
They should make it so that 10 year olds can buy cigarettes. Bring on the lung cancer! $$

-Soph-
23-01-2007, 11:46 PM
If you smoke your gay, im against it. U FAIL @ LIFE SMOKERS!!

jesus.. your going OTT mate.

I dont really care to be honest, i'm not a smoker, but it does annoy me when people are like.. OMFGHZ IM SO AGAINST SMOKING ITZ SO WRONG, Yeah I agree people shouldnt be able to smoke in restaurants etc, 2nd hand smoke etc. But at the end of the day its their choice, its not me whos damaging their health, so therefore I dont really mind if its raised or not.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!