PDA

View Full Version : Landfill Sites

Jackbee
09-01-2007, 06:10 PM
It was in the papers today... England is expected to run out of room to put all our rubbish in land fill sites in 55 years :o
Whats going to happen when the time comes?

Plank
09-01-2007, 06:53 PM
They might be building an incinirator about a mile away from where I live - it's when they burn the rubbish, but there have been lots of protests because it causes global warming..
Maybe the UK could pay to ship rubbish out to other countries? (Like on sim city)

Moose Obtuse
09-01-2007, 08:18 PM
If it happened, the government would set much stricter rules to rubbish. Maybe a smaller bin and encourages you to recycle a hell alot more...

And the only way to get rid of rubbish compared to the producing rubbish is to burn them.

letisix
09-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeh, People to to rescycle more lol

Mentor
09-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Couldnt they just go threw the landfills, or at least check the stuff thrown away thats heading to land fills and exstract any recyclable materials at the stadge as well if they were desperate "/

exploit
09-01-2007, 10:19 PM
reduce your weekly allowance i guess would be the best option? recycling also.

FlyingJesus
09-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Stick it in the sea.

:Hazel
09-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Put it all in scotland and wales instead.

FlyingJesus
09-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah I'm with Hazel actually, the sea's too important.

clarissa !!
09-01-2007, 10:41 PM
rofl..

-:Undertaker:-
10-01-2007, 05:48 PM
UK isn't running out of land for Landfill sites, more rubbish theorys like Global Warming.

I think Britain should go Nuclear so we don't rely on Russia and we should also get some of our energy from Burning our rubbish.

joshuar
10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Bonfire nights gunna be smelley this year peeps :8

ebay
11-01-2007, 04:04 PM
use other countrys like Ireland probs...!! :P:P:P:P

xxMATTGxx
11-01-2007, 06:49 PM
They could make something so when you burn rubbish it doesnt release any bad gases and that.

FrozenWhisper
11-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Do as they did on Futrama and put it on a rocket and send it into space ;)

OMGitsaROSS
11-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Woo lol ^^

There is a huge one near me :( It like blocks out the view of Spinnaker tower

DiscoPat
11-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Agreed :P

Plank
11-01-2007, 07:20 PM
UK isn't running out of land for Landfill sites

They aren't now, but they will one day...

11-01-2007, 07:22 PM
They aren't now, but they will one day...

In hundreds of years.

Plank
11-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Hundreds of years? What source did you get that from?

Friends of the Earth today called on the Government to tackle the nation's growing waste crisis by introducing a new law requiring local authorities to provide doorstep recycling for every household. The call follows a new survey, published today by the Environment Agency, which reveals that nine out of ten people in England and Wales would recycle more waste if it was made easier [1]. But without adequate recycling facilities, says FOE, the UK will continue to be one of Europe's worst recyclers.

The UK is facing a growing waste crisis.
The UK currently languishes near the bottom of the European recycling league table. Only around 11 % of the UK's 28 million tonnes of domestic waste produced annually is recycled. This compares badly with neighbours such as Switzerland (52%), Austria (49.7%), Germany (48%) and the Netherlands (46%).

In April the Environment Agency warned that space for burying rubbish in the south east could run out within seven years. Northern Ireland is already exporting some of its household waste to Scotland for landfill.

The Government's waste strategy is unambitious. It wants 30% of domestic waste to be recycled by 2010. FOE is calling for the target to be increased to 50% by 2010.
Mounting waste, poor recycling rates and rapidly filling landfill sites are leading more waste authorities to push for waste incineration. Many community groups around the country are opposing incineration proposals because of concerns about the risk to health and the environmental impact. Incinerators need waste, which could otherwise be recycled, to make them economically viable.
Friends of the Earth is campaigning for a new law for mandatory doorstep recycling. A Parliamentary Motion supporting a doorstep scheme for every household (EDM 186) has already been signed by more than 200 MPs. It also has official support from both the Liberal Democrat and Conservative parties. If the Government fails to act, FOE will work with MPs that wish to introduce a new recycling law as a Private Members Bill later this year.

11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Hundreds of years? What source did you get that from?

Friends of the Earth talk junk so i'm not even bothering to read that, we have plently of land left, we have Wales we have scotland, we have england, there is PLENTY of land left.

Plank
11-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Friends of the Earth talk junk so i'm not even bothering to read that, we have plently of land left, we have Wales we have scotland, we have england, there is PLENTY of land left.
If you actually read the post from the thread starter, and the quote i posted, you will see that we are talking about england... And with the growing population and more houses being built, we won't have as much land soon...
& you don't even have a source.
+ You can't just put a landfill site anywhere, because there will be protests about wildlife ect.

11-01-2007, 08:05 PM
If you actually read the post from the thread starter, and the quote i posted, you will see that we are talking about england... And with the growing population and more houses being built, we won't have as much land soon...
& you don't even have a source.
+ You can't just put a landfill site anywhere, because there will be protests about wildlife ect.

Yes in hundreds of years we may have the problem, right now we have plenty of room and if it starts running out of room in hundreds of years then we can just pay africa to let us bury it in the Deserts.

Plank
11-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes in hundreds of years we may have the problem, right now we have plenty of room and if it starts running out of room in hundreds of years then we can just pay africa to let us bury it in the Deserts.
Where is your source that says we will run out in hundreds of years? Or are you just making these numbers up? And you can't just put landfills anywhere - africa may not want us to use desserts.

FlyingJesus
11-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Where is your source that says we will run out in hundreds of years? Or are you just making these numbers up? And you can't just put landfills anywhere - africa may not want us to use desserts.

Yeah because African deserts are so useful to their communities.

11-01-2007, 08:40 PM

I don't personally need sources to show my opinions.
What in blazes does africa need dry unhabitable miles of sand for?

Josh-H
11-01-2007, 08:44 PM
They could make something so when you burn rubbish it doesnt release any bad gases and that.
You obviously dont take GCSE Chemistry. It will always make 'bad' gas's. Its a case of what you do with them once they come out though.

Plank
11-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't personally need sources to show my opinions.
What in blazes does africa need dry unhabitable miles of sand for?
Animals do live in deserts you know.

YoManGo!
11-01-2007, 09:32 PM
UK isn't running out of land for Landfill sites, more rubbish theorys like Global Warming.

I think Britain should go Nuclear so we don't rely on Russia and we should also get some of our energy from Burning our rubbish.

Don't cha just love increased cancer rates and possible meltdowns? I know I do!

12-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Animals do live in deserts you know.

Oh no some Scorpians may get crushed by a tractor burying rubbish :rolleyes:

Don't cha just love increased cancer rates and possible meltdowns? I know I do!

Nuclear Power Plants have got safer over past 30 years + the western types are much better than the USSR ones.

louder
12-01-2007, 07:28 PM
they should dump it in other countries that have the room to have rubish i reckon, and more people should recycle. "/

YoManGo!
12-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Nuclear Power Plants have got safer over past 30 years + the western types are much better than the USSR ones.

My point is that until we have completely safe places to put nuclear waste and very strict regulations in place to ensure that the public are completely safe, then nuclear energy isn't really an option.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!