PDA

View Full Version : Global warming

Middlesbrough
20-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Well think this is counted as the politics section
Do you think the government are making the right sort of choice over global warming or do you think they haven't done enough
Post your views, ill start
Honestly i feel the government arent doing enough to change global warming we have the technology but it will cost and the government wont take that risk i believe

Mentor
20-01-2007, 06:21 PM
The real problem is, people arnt getting the real facts, and the goverment are. We dont have the technolgy, not in a way we can realsticly use at least.
Solar power - createing a solar panel creates so much damage to the envirment, you have to use it over a century before it had any posative effects.
Wind farms - kill off flocks of rair birds and in reality tend to only produce around 30% of the minute amount of power there supposed to be. They also cost one hell of alot, and again materals used to make them, result in more damage than good for at least the first 10 to 20 years.

the only real solution is ether hydroelectric (massive impact on surrounding eco systems + we dont have anywhere to put em in the uk) or Nucler power (where we have to somehow get rid of 1000s of tones of radio active waste materal, which will be so for a few million years after)

Tiuhdur
20-01-2007, 07:03 PM
i dont beleive the government are doing enough. what my friends dont get is they say "it wont happen for like 200 years" when they are wrong. its happening now. its going to happen as we are already to late but we CAN reduce the effects. but with the way the government is handeling it at the moment scientists beleive England will be heading for mass floods and tropical storms by 2050

sim
20-01-2007, 07:12 PM
And where did you get those figures?

I personally don't think the governemtn are doing enough. Global dimming isn't really that effective. We really need to get this sorted. And ok they might not have the technology now but maybe they could spend more money into researching into how to prevent it?

Don't just dismiss it right now.

lSander
20-01-2007, 08:23 PM
There has been these kind of things before.
Earth gets warmer, then it gets colder.
There is these same thing in history.
I'm not worring about it.
Atleast if it is, we'll get a nicer airport and alot of sand beaches in Estonia then :')

Tiuhdur
20-01-2007, 08:28 PM
And where did you get those figures?

I personally don't think the governemtn are doing enough. Global dimming isn't really that effective. We really need to get this sorted. And ok they might not have the technology now but maybe they could spend more money into researching into how to prevent it?

Don't just dismiss it right now.

i got those figures off the news about a month ago

sim
20-01-2007, 09:17 PM
i got those figures off the news about a month ago

Apologies. not your figures. yours sound legit.

Tiuhdur
20-01-2007, 11:15 PM
ok thanks

-:Undertaker:-
20-01-2007, 11:30 PM
It's all rubbish.

Tiuhdur
20-01-2007, 11:35 PM
whats all rubbish? the fact global warming is happening? or that we care about the planet? or that the government isnt doing enough?

FlyingJesus
21-01-2007, 11:44 AM
whats all rubbish? the fact global warming is happening? or that we care about the planet? or that the government isnt doing enough?

All of those stated.

laurenx
21-01-2007, 01:18 PM
We were talking about this In Science the other day & everyone got worried & our teacher was like "It could happen any secound" & people were like "OMGZZ were going to die in 10 secounds".

I don't think the Goverment is doing enough, its too late, its already happening. Like there was a tornado a few months ago in London. Rarely, there is any in the UK.

People just dont believe it, until they see it.

Browney
21-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Meh. I'm gonna die anyway. No biggy.

Humans spend their entire life trying to avoid death. Having treatments, eating healthier, "so they live longer" exercising more etc. You can't escape death. Just live with it. It's going to happen whether you like it or not.

RedStratocas
21-01-2007, 02:00 PM
There are a lot of reasons people dont believe in global warming, or dont really care. Like it isnt an immediate thing. Most people will think they'll be dead by the time it takes major effects. Also, people like it warmer. Ive had a debate on this, and you have no idea how many people said "yeah, I like it warmer, I never really liked snow. I dont see the problem". And also, people dont listen to scientists.

Meh. I'm gonna die anyway. No biggy.

Humans spend their entire life trying to avoid death. Having treatments, eating healthier, "so they live longer" exercising more etc. You can't escape death. Just live with it. It's going to happen whether you like it or not.

Yeah, but arent those personal? I dont think it compares to mass extinction.

21-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Humans aren't the cause of Global Warming, it's natural.

We were talking about this In Science the other day & everyone got worried & our teacher was like "It could happen any secound" & people were like "OMGZZ were going to die in 10 secounds".

I don't think the Goverment is doing enough, its too late, its already happening. Like there was a tornado a few months ago in London. Rarely, there is any in the UK.

People just dont believe it, until they see it.

Just because there is a tornado in London has nothing to do with it, if you would look back on histroy then there probley would've been thousands of tornados in the london area.

Rock:Dude
27-01-2007, 08:35 PM
ok, we know about global warming, So norfolk is going to sink or something, Big Deal! :P
Well, another problem is that if global warming continues the North Atlantic drift may change direction, plunging the north west of europe into tundra conditions. (Snow and Ice constantly for the slightly dim)
Well, what I propose is:
We cut down all the trees in the UK. Make a big pile of em, and as soon as the drift changes direction, burn them all and speed up global warming.

Two problems solved!
I congratulate myself.
Although the government could do more for global warming. Instead of driving round in bentleys and stuff.

27-01-2007, 11:30 PM
ok, we know about global warming, So norfolk is going to sink or something, Big Deal! :P
Well, another problem is that if global warming continues the North Atlantic drift may change direction, plunging the north west of europe into tundra conditions. (Snow and Ice constantly for the slightly dim)
Well, what I propose is:
We cut down all the trees in the UK. Make a big pile of em, and as soon as the drift changes direction, burn them all and speed up global warming.

Two problems solved!
I congratulate myself.
Although the government could do more for global warming. Instead of driving round in bentleys and stuff.

Them floods in Britain have been happening since the island called Britain appeared.

RedStratocas
27-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Humans aren't the cause of Global Warming, it's natural.

But where is the heat source coming from? Each time the earth warms and cools, the earth is doing something, like more volcanos. So if it's 100% natural and we have absolutely nothing to do with it, what in nature is causing it?

hit1
27-01-2007, 11:48 PM
It's all rubbish.
Here you go again, being all defensive, we all know you Fail at life, Your the garbadge thats causing this stuff! Your a cracker, carnt you see whats going on, where witnessing it terd face! GOD SAKES, how much snow did you get, Oh we got a couple of flakes. Oh init hot last summer! Some thousands of people died, ooooh continues tornadoes in... ENGLAND! i can unserstand america, But england. Please mate you cannot deny it, its you and some american freaks against the whole world, well people that care and are not hooligans!

28-01-2007, 02:01 PM
But where is the heat source coming from? Each time the earth warms and cools, the earth is doing something, like more volcanos. So if it's 100% natural and we have absolutely nothing to do with it, what in nature is causing it?

Solar Flares, Tilt of the earth, there's so many things to it.

I also watched a program yesterday which showed the water levels in 1700's and they were about 2 meters HIGHER than they are today, there were no factorys then. It also said that water levels can rise because of continental plates pushing up, oviously weight in water will push up water levels.

Here you go again, being all defensive, we all know you Fail at life, Your the garbadge thats causing this stuff! Your a cracker, carnt you see whats going on, where witnessing it terd face! GOD SAKES, how much snow did you get, Oh we got a couple of flakes. Oh init hot last summer! Some thousands of people died, ooooh continues tornadoes in... ENGLAND! i can unserstand america, But england. Please mate you cannot deny it, its you and some american freaks against the whole world, well people that care and are not hooligans!

Sorry mate, your the one who fails to see through all this Global garbage, Tornados can happen anywere, it's the wind.

How can you call americans freaks when they are the most succesful country in the world?, Their government is pathetic but the country isn't.

RedStratocas
28-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Solar Flares, Tilt of the earth, there's so many things to it.

I also watched a program yesterday which showed the water levels in 1700's and they were about 2 meters HIGHER than they are today, there were no factorys then. It also said that water levels can rise because of continental plates pushing up, oviously weight in water will push up water levels.

Ok, so show me the proof that THATS what it is. Because last time you showed me the artical about the tilt of the earth, it said at the very bottom that it doesnt take away the fact that we're releasing global warming-causing pollutants into the atmosphere.

28-01-2007, 02:10 PM
How am I ment to show proof of a program?

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~neilruby/lab4/lab4.html (http://www.u.arizona.edu/~neilruby/lab4/lab4.html)

Explains Plate movement, also their is a Plume under Iceland near the pole which pushes the crust upwards.

RedStratocas
28-01-2007, 02:12 PM
How am I ment to show proof of a program?

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~neilruby/lab4/lab4.html (http://www.u.arizona.edu/~neilruby/lab4/lab4.html)

Explains Plate movement, also their is a Plume under Iceland near the pole which pushes the crust upwards.

But how does that explain the ice caps melting? We already know the oceans are rising because of the melting ice caps, so whats causing that?

28-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Solar Flares?, the earths tilt?

Also this isn't the first time they've melted a bit.

RedStratocas
28-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Solar Flares?, the earths tilt?

Also this isn't the first time they've melted a bit.

No, but its the first time they've melted so rapidly.

GommeInc
28-01-2007, 02:49 PM
The real problem is, people arnt getting the real facts, and the goverment are. We dont have the technolgy, not in a way we can realsticly use at least.
Solar power - createing a solar panel creates so much damage to the envirment, you have to use it over a century before it had any posative effects.
Wind farms - kill off flocks of rair birds and in reality tend to only produce around 30% of the minute amount of power there supposed to be. They also cost one hell of alot, and again materals used to make them, result in more damage than good for at least the first 10 to 20 years.
To add to the bit in bold, half the time they don't last that long and need to be repaired or have parts replaced, so more materials and money have to be put into them.

Hydroelectrics would be pointless, only place in UK I can think of is Torkshire, but the rivers are only power during floods in Autumn. We don't have powerful enough waves to generate as much either "/ So Nuclear is, perhaps, the only sufficient option, but the waste is bad enough. Solar Panels are a waste of money.

And what UnderTaker is saying is correct, The British Isles are on a plate which raises in one area, and lowers in another. At the moment, Scotland is getting higher and England is sinking. It will change in about 50-100 years.

28-01-2007, 02:56 PM
No, but its the first time they've melted so rapidly.

I hate it when people say that, CLIMATE CHANGES WON'T BE THE SAME SPEED AS EACHOTHER.

Only reason I support Nuclear Power is n ot because of the Global Warming by humans rubbish, it's because it's cheap and reliable wheras Oil and Gas aren't as russia controls it and if they cut us off we're buggered.

DiscoPat
28-01-2007, 03:56 PM
People are so thick in the head, all you have to do is simply not waste electricity , so just closing is as you leave the room, closing the tap when your not using it , some people leave it open when brushing their teeth etc, when going on short journeys taking public transport, things like that...

@xP
28-01-2007, 04:32 PM
There is Defintley enough evidence to proove that global warming is here and climate change. Personally i think that the governments are not going enough ( Not just our Govenment but Other countries aswell )

We need to find more technology on how to fuel vehicles ect, instead of using fossil fuels.

Talking of fossil Fules, and the constant burning of them, we only have approx a 50 year supply left, so we need to find a new way on how to fules technology or we will Have a problem.

Back on topic Governments are not trying Enough to tackle this and trying not trying Enough to get more technology.

when going on short journeys taking public transport, things like that...

I Agree with you, there was a article in the manchester evening news, were they are chargin people to drive into the city center. This may incourage People yo use public transport, and may help global warming. Also they want trams to be made, to incourage public transport again to save fossil fules ect.

Papershop
28-01-2007, 08:13 PM
blackppol is meant to have palm trees and that by 2020 :D

Naythi.
02-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Its enivtable that its gonna happen !

Its Too Late To Stop It Happening But We Can Slow It Down !

There are many things for you too do including turning off all your standby buttons , Turn Your Cooker Of By The Wall ( If Electric )
And even dont leave your mobiles or laptops on charge for more than needed !

People say it wont happen for ages , , , Hmmmmmm its happening now .

The end of the world wil be US KILLING OUR SELFS , EITHER TERRORIST OR GLOBAL WARMING !

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!