PDA

View Full Version : Tescos new rule when buying alcohol

GommeInc
22-01-2007, 07:31 PM
I haven't made a thread in ages, but this happened recently when I went shopping with my mum at Tescos.

In short:

You cannot buy alcohol aged 18 above if you have someone younger than 18 with you.

Here is the story:

My mum got 6 bottles of Sherry (my dad has a glass every night during dinner), like she does sometimes when we go shopping at Tescos. We were about to pay when the bag with the 6 bottles of Sherry went through the scanner.

The boy at the till asked the supervisor "What's this new rule about alcohol?"
The supervisor looked at me and said "We cannot sell you this drink because HE is underaged." He = me.

It was kinda embarassing because we've been shopping there since, God knows when. Ever since we've lived in the area.

We were allowed to buy it in the end because the supervisor has seen us many times before.

But still, this rule is absolutely rediculous. It won't solve underaged drinkers getting alcohol by asking people aged 18 or older. Mainly because if you were asking someone for drink, you won't go in the shop with them, it is very rare and you would have to be stupid...

What happens when another parent comes in with a child? Would they be rejected buying something alcoholic?

What are your views on this? I would like to know if other shops are doing this, because I know Co-Op might not be doing this, yet.

benjamin
22-01-2007, 07:32 PM
I haven't made a thread in ages, but this happened recently when I went shopping with my mum at Tescos.

In short:

You cannot buy alcohol aged 18 above if you have someone younger than 18 with you.

Here is the story:

My mum got 6 bottles of Sherry (my dad has a glass every night during dinner), like she does sometimes when we go shopping at Tescos. We were about to pay when the bag with the 6 bottles of Sherry went through the scanner.

The boy at the till asked the supervisor "What's this new rule about alcohol?"
The supervisor looked at me and said "We cannot sell you this drink because HE is underaged." He = me.

It was kinda embarassing because we've been shopping there since, God knows when. Ever since we've lived in the area.

We were allowed to buy it in the end because the supervisor has seen us many times before.

But still, this rule is absolutely rediculous. It won't solve underaged drinkers getting alcohol by asking people aged 18 or older. Mainly because if you were asking someone for drink, you won't go in the shop with them, it is very rare and you would have to be stupid...

What happens when another parent comes in with a child? Would they be rejected buying something alcoholic?

What are your views on this? I would like to know if other shops are doing this, because I know Co-Op might not be doing this, yet.
that's seriously pathetic.

and i agree with what you said, it won't solve anything, because the person who wants it just won't go into the shop :rolleyes:

GommeInc
22-01-2007, 07:35 PM
that's seriously pathetic.

and i agree with what you said, it won't solve anything, because the person who wants it just won't go into the shop :rolleyes:

I'm not too fussed about it, I am 18 in about 3 or 4 weeks :P But other families are going to have to suffer. Kids are going to have to wait outside.

benjamin
22-01-2007, 07:36 PM
yeah ino but still, i don't think they thought it through very well really..

Casanova
22-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I doubt it will stop anything, it just means genuine parents and guardians for the children neglect them while shopping so they can buy alcohol.

The first main rule of someone buying a minor alcohol would probably be DON'T BE SEEN WITH THEM. No one would sell them then, if it's suspicious. It's normally the worst people, like druggies you get to buy you your alcohol?

I think it's pretty damn stupid if you ask me!

scubadiva
22-01-2007, 07:57 PM
That's a bit stupid. So if a mother came in with her 5-year-old, they wouldn't give her alcohol. Oh yeah, she's gonna give it to the kid isn't she :rolleyes: What is the world coming to? Political correctness is taking over.

Kardan
22-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Couldn't you just send your child out of the shop whilst you bought the alcohol? :rolleyes:

scubadiva
22-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Couldn't you just send your child out of the shop whilst you bought the alcohol? :rolleyes:

So that they can be kidnapped by a weirdo...

-Dispute
22-01-2007, 08:15 PM
OMG Noobs! I buy Alcohol with kids and Im OK thats just stupid because there just going to wait outside!

GommeInc
22-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Has anyone else come by this rule in their tescos or other super market?

Lilux
22-01-2007, 08:22 PM
That is stupid and is going to lose them a lot of money.

-Sweex
22-01-2007, 08:36 PM
this hasnt happend in my area :S. Because i was in the shop yesterday with my mum and she bought alcohol and im under 18?

Lilux
22-01-2007, 08:40 PM
this hasnt happend in my area :S. Because i was in the shop yesterday with my mum and she bought alcohol and im under 18?

Do you look under 18 though?

-Sweex
22-01-2007, 09:01 PM
yes..makes longer and again

Yoshimitsui
22-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Taats really quite sad, imagine if a mum goes in with a 4 year old or summat and goes " we can't sell you these you hvae a kid with you" stupid.

Mentor
22-01-2007, 09:23 PM
im 18 anyway, so i dont really care. You cant buy saft sissors i think its in boot unless your 18 though, which i found quite amuseing

Callum.
22-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Kids actually walk around tesco with a starnger who will buy them booze?

and most people get it from off licences cos they get served alot at 16

@xP
22-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Soon im guessing they are realising they will lose money, therefor will ask the Parent for ID To prove that the son/daughter is his or hers.

Pathetic sill in my mind, but im guessing it stops people from gping into shops buying them for Teens but then again, the teenagers can just wait outside of the Shop

Overall pathetic

:Hazel
22-01-2007, 10:00 PM
That seems a bit awkward and complicated to me, id shop elsewhere.

GommeInc
22-01-2007, 10:04 PM
To imagine Tescos was the best super market "/ This isn't a good thing for them...

jordang16
22-01-2007, 10:24 PM
true it might just be in your area ill take your word for it k

GommeInc
22-01-2007, 10:35 PM
lol i work at tescos and its not true maybe it was a new worker i serve alcohol loads of times with people who are 21 and with say a 16 year old
It is true, it might be in my area alone though. It wasn't only the person who served us, the information came from the Supervisor...

Misawa
22-01-2007, 11:35 PM
I work at Tesco and can safely say that it is NOT a new policy, nor is it one. The alcohol rule at all stores is that the paying customer has to be 18 or over, if they look under 21, we ask for their ID. Who they are with can be underage and we can still sell, however, if we expect that the customer is purchasing alcohol for persons underage, we reserve the right to refuse sale.
Also, if the cashier is under 18, they have to call a/the section manager to allow you to sell, even if the customer is blatantly 104.

I predict that it's just your local store's own rule; they probably have a nagging problem with underage customers successfully buying alcohol.

GommeInc
22-01-2007, 11:54 PM
It appears it must be the stores own policy. I don't understand why because the area around the Tescos is hardly bad. It is also a policy at the local Co-Op. Maybe Essex has a underage drinking problem?

It's strange because I was with my mum, and I doubt anyone underaged would want Sherry when there are better drinks out there, but I guess that is just opinion :P

Mentor
23-01-2007, 08:39 AM
It appears it must be the stores own policy. I don't understand why because the area around the Tescos is hardly bad. It is also a policy at the local Co-Op. Maybe Essex has a underage drinking problem?

It's strange because I was with my mum, and I doubt anyone underaged would want Sherry when there are better drinks out there, but I guess that is just opinion :P
What are you saying? Chavs are always drinking Sherry, all the time, i mean its not like chavs would drink anything else...

Plus which tesco you mean? since essex does have quite a big chav population so i can see why they may put the restrictions up... then again? who would go to tesco a large super market when there trying to get drink underage? Its just not right "/

Roboevil
23-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Maybe it's for set hours, i.e after 6 or on a Friday night when people are most likely to drink. At Halloween a lot of shops don't sell kids eggs without parental guidance or whatever.

Papershop
23-01-2007, 10:40 AM
OMgg You shop at TESCo! haha ASDA FTW

And asda policy is that you have to look 21 to the buy drink, unless you have iID> and you also have to be 18 and proove it, to buy ciggerettes . WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GommeInc
23-01-2007, 11:56 AM
What are you saying? Chavs are always drinking Sherry, all the time, i mean its not like chavs would drink anything else...

Plus which tesco you mean? since essex does have quite a big chav population so i can see why they may put the restrictions up... then again? who would go to tesco a large super market when there trying to get drink underage? Its just not right "/
The one in Maldon, where I always shop :P

Through personal experience, when ever we need drink, Kat and James normally ask that person to buy alcohol while we wait somewhere else, like the beach. And he normally gets it from Spar I think? Which is quite a good place to go.

Maybe it's for set hours, i.e after 6 or on a Friday night when people are most likely to drink. At Halloween a lot of shops don't sell kids eggs without parental guidance or whatever.
This was lunch time on a Friday. I can't see how that could be the reason, most underage persons will be at school or college? But then again, there is that possibility it is.

OMgg You shop at TESCo! haha ASDA FTW

And asda policy is that you have to look 21 to the buy drink, unless you have iID> and you also have to be 18 and proove it, to buy ciggerettes . WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Blerrgh, Asda food is skanky. Only good thing about Asda is the yummy ice cream. Triple chocolate or something like that, really nice ;)

That policy is terrible too... You have to look over 21? You only need to be over 18? Can't they just say "If they look over 18?" Saying over 21 doesn't really solve much... They should ask ID even if they look over 21, if they look over 30 then maybe they can be let go...

,Jess,
23-01-2007, 04:50 PM
It's not like that where I live but one time I was with my mum and they asked her 4 proof that she was over 18 lol she just pointed 2 me and said this is my sixteen year old daughter. It would loose them quite a bit if they did and it sounds pretty stupid

Judge Judy
23-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Hmm, What's next - You can't buy Fruit & Veg, because you are too fat. :l

But yeah it might be which area you're in.

Tiuhdur
23-01-2007, 05:36 PM
my mum and my sister went to buy alchohol a few weeks back in the co-op and she wasnt over 18 then and my mum wasnt alowed to buy it as my sister wasnt 18 its so stupid

velvet
23-01-2007, 05:47 PM
The one in Maldon, where I always shop :P

Lol, I live in Maldon and this isn't the first time i've heard about this, it's stupid.
But most of my friends just go elsewhere and buy it.

StainCast
23-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Tesco have always been very picky with who they sell spirits/ tobacco to.

However that is absolutely ridiculas. haha. Won't save anything at all.

StainCast
23-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Tesco have always been very picky with who they sell spirits/ tobacco to.

However that is absolutely ridiculas. haha. Won't solve anything at all.

-Soph-
23-01-2007, 11:48 PM
thats stupid, Yeah sure people my age can sit outside or whatnot, but what about a single mother who has a newborn child fancies a drink? :)

GommeInc
24-01-2007, 01:00 AM
thats stupid, Yeah sure people my age can sit outside or whatnot, but what about a single mother who has a newborn child fancies a drink? :)
Well, she probably shouldn't be drinking :P

When we were in the shop, a mother with about 3 children said "So then, what alcohol shall we get the kids?" to who I think was her sister. I found out why she said that when we got asked :P

shiver
24-01-2007, 10:10 AM
that's well stupid.

Rich.Boy
24-01-2007, 04:45 PM
That is the stupidest rule ever. I feel sorry for parents with young kids.

Carlos
24-01-2007, 06:31 PM
It isn't every Tesco store.

I work in a Tesco Express.

Only rules we have are ask for I.D if the customer looks under 21.

The reason you got rejected is because the supervisor thought that the customer was buying for someone else - preferably under 18 years old.

GommeInc
24-01-2007, 06:34 PM
It isn't every Tesco store.

I work in a Tesco Express.

Only rules we have are ask for I.D if the customer looks under 21.

The reason you got rejected is because the supervisor thought that the customer was buying for someone else - preferably under 18 years old.
The way we were acting at the time, and the fact I look alot like my mother is a bit strange "/

We never got rejected, the supervisor knows my mum. The boy at the checkout said "What's this new rule about alcohol?" to the supervisor, which kinda hints there's a new rule in this particular Tescos.

Carlos
24-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I haven't been informed of any new rule thus far.

Can you please confirm which type of Tesco store this was?

Smits
24-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm sure this new rule will actually cause more problems then solve them, if you want alcohol but are too young, you simply don't go into the shop with whoevers buying for you..

Breakfloor
24-01-2007, 06:48 PM
If i want beer i just get my friends brother to buy it.

summer
24-01-2007, 07:07 PM
wow, lamest rule ever?

GommeInc
24-01-2007, 07:54 PM
I haven't been informed of any new rule thus far.

Can you please confirm which type of Tesco store this was?
What type? I'l do some research ;)

According to Wikipedia, it's just called a Tesco, but it is between a Tesco Extra and Tesco Metro. It stocks food, clothes, games, bedding and small applicances. Also has a Pharmacy?

If you want the town name, I can tell you that if it helps.

Tesco, Maldon in Essex. It's not personal info, considering I don't live there, nor live near there ;)

Dan2nd
24-01-2007, 09:02 PM
That rule is stupid. Again prooving Waitrose is better than Tescos ( I work for Waitrose its my duty to defend it) :p Maybe in that certain store they have had alot of under age people buying alcohol or asking other people to buy it for them?

GommeInc
24-01-2007, 09:20 PM
That rule is stupid. Again prooving Waitrose is better than Tescos ( I work for Waitrose its my duty to defend it) :p Maybe in that certain store they have had alot of under age people buying alcohol or asking other people to buy it for them?
Possibly, but it doesn't seem like the right place to go? The Tescos I go to is like a family shop really, rather than a hang out for youths...

PS. Waitrose smell :P

DiscoPat
25-01-2007, 12:27 AM
my brain is dead tbh..

Metric.
09-02-2007, 01:32 AM
my mom or my brother buys it for me anyways.

cocaine
10-02-2007, 11:21 AM
its stupid, what if they have a 6 year old and a 4 year old kid they have to bring along to shopping?

Machoman679
15-02-2007, 11:24 PM
lol funney

Kieeran
15-02-2007, 11:31 PM
How stupid

2hd.
15-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I'll make sure I don't go to tescos next time my dad's buying hard vodka for my 4 year old cousin.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!