PDA

View Full Version : vBull or IPB?

TehJoshy
30-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm starting up a new non-habbo themed forum based on Gaming. I get paid on wednesday and was just wondering what Forum Software i should get.

I personally have always been a fan of vBulletin but i know alot of people have them and you can get people saying 'Oh God Not Another vBull Forum' although i love working with them etc.

With Invision i have only ever used a free version from the days of Newbie-hood.
but i have seen alot of nice things done with them.

So i wanted to ask since alot of us on this forum use either vBull or IPB.

Whats the best one to get?!

Thanks Orphadox. :]

mat64
30-01-2007, 03:55 PM
vBulletin theres no competition in my opinion, The reason it's used so much is because it's an incredibly powerful piece of software. Those who say "Not another vBull", Well they are those who have never been behind the Admin CP ;).

PenguinFluid
30-01-2007, 04:11 PM
VBOwns soz but ye vbulltein

TehJoshy
30-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah, no question Really. Thanks for your posts vBull it will be then :P

Luckyrare
30-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Yes I agree. Vb is amazing software, not saying IPB isnt but I personally feel vb is easier to work with and also has some awesome mods/hacks for it. Plus vb support is amazing.

Infrontation
30-01-2007, 05:07 PM
IPB is far better in my opinion. I've worked with both and I prefer IPB.

Lµke
30-01-2007, 07:17 PM
vBulletin all the way for me. Although i do like IPB's Admincp.

RNelson
30-01-2007, 07:18 PM
vBulletin owns for stuff like Habbo forums etc but for professional business forums IPB!

GommeInc
30-01-2007, 07:45 PM
IPB. More professional and more powerful. You've obviously not seen the new version, which has user profiles fully upgraded so you can comment on them "/

TehJoshy
30-01-2007, 10:29 PM
IPB. More professional and more powerful. You've obviously not seen the new version, which has user profiles fully upgraded so you can comment on them "/

I tired to view a demo of it but it said there was not one avalible its said that a few times now tbh.

TehJoshy
30-01-2007, 10:55 PM

I tired to view a demo of it but it said there was not one avalible its said that a few times now tbh.

TehJoshy
30-01-2007, 11:06 PM

This is a glitch.. i didnt double post :S, Sorry if i did but im sure i didnt :|

redtom
30-01-2007, 11:29 PM
IPB is by far the better, some of the more popular mods for VB are based on old mods for IPB, EG: the arcade used here. The new version of IPB has loads of small but great feature, although you have to agree that VB is alot easyer to use and is easy to pickup then IPB.

If you would like to buy a IPB, I'll sell you one cheap as I bought it and never used it ,lol. Only had it about 3 weeks.

EDIT: The reason you have posted the same post 3 time is because you clicked the posted button 3 times instead of waiting for it to do it the first time.

Foobar
31-01-2007, 12:05 AM
I believe vBulletin is more user-friendly, but IPB has a more professional feeling. I saw another user say that the new version is excellent, and it is. I've taken a screenshot of the profile screen for you:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6241/sabreprofilescreenieym4.png
Isn't it amazing? :D

Agnostic Bear
31-01-2007, 06:05 AM
To me, theres no question about which forum software to go with, it has to be IP.Board, vB's code looks like could've been coded by a bunch of 13 year olds, it's messy, and gets damn confusing at times, where as anyone who's been inside the php of both will agree IP.Board is alot more efficient.

Oh, and the ACP + the new blog doodad is sexy too!
(And its more secure *COUGH*)

KyleSmith07
31-01-2007, 06:45 AM
ipb, rofl no competition

beer
02-02-2007, 02:10 PM
vBulletin 4 me. I simply love it.

PenguinFluid
02-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Vbulettin hwoever that new version of ipb looks pretty kwl

Caution
02-02-2007, 05:59 PM
vBulletin obv.

][/B]
EDIT: The reason you have posted the same post 3 time is because you clicked the posted button 3 times instead of waiting for it to do it the first time.
He posted 25 mins inbetween.

Samster
02-02-2007, 09:37 PM
vBulletin, it's very easy to setup and manage

@xP
02-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Invision aint bad but Vb is miles ahead and is the most powerful forum servers and hotsing you can have.

GommeInc
02-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Invision aint bad but Vb is miles ahead and is the most powerful forum servers and hotsing you can have.
Where did you get that information from?! Most vB hacks have come from IPB, like the Arcade, which IPB has updated since? The profile system in an IPB is also far superior that a vB? You can comment on profiles in the latest version of IPB and add people as friends?

VB also never used to have multiple quotes, IPB has had that for ages. I also think Quick Reply never existed at some point too? The only thing I can think of that VB surpassed in was quick editting, but I think IPB had that before them too "/

Mentor
02-02-2007, 10:32 PM
IPB's the real power house, although VB is more of a fad and targets the less compitent new site owners, as opposed to the pro market. Hence its popularty dispite being vastly inferior.

@xP
02-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Where did you get that information from?! Most vB hacks have come from IPB, like the Arcade, which IPB has updated since? The profile system in an IPB is also far superior that a vB? You can comment on profiles in the latest version of IPB and add people as friends?

VB also never used to have multiple quotes, IPB has had that for ages. I also think Quick Reply never existed at some point too? The only thing I can think of that VB surpassed in was quick editting, but I think IPB had that before them too "/

Rofl, invision is free. the best free host i agree, vB you have to pay for.. arcade is a arcade.. not hard to do.. They problay Didn't copy it off Invision they probaly had the same idea.

Mentor
02-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Rofl, invision is free. the best free host i agree, vB you have to pay for.. arcade is a arcade.. not hard to do.. They problay Didn't copy it off Invision they probaly had the same idea.
o.0 sorry to tell you this but:
A: Invisonfree is a free host who use a universal liecence of the ipb 1.3.x forum software.
B: IPB and invsionfree are not the same thing
C: IPB is a professional forum software solution, it costs and is very powerful
D: You are obviously completely ****** in the head if you think writeing an arcade is easy.
E: Well one of the more common arcades for VB is a direct recode of the ipb arcade

Stitch
02-02-2007, 11:09 PM
which arcade is the one IPB have? v3arcade or ibproarcade?
I think vBulletin is better.

Mentor
02-02-2007, 11:13 PM
which arcade is the one IPB have? v3arcade or ibproarcade?
I think vBulletin is better.

ill give you a clue.. ib stands for Invision Board

GommeInc
02-02-2007, 11:15 PM
1. It isn't.
2. IPB is what you pay for, and it is great for the money.
3. IPB had the first arcade, vB's came second. They probably never copied it, I never hinted that. But they did bring it out first "/
4. Arcades are hard to do... To a large audience.

IPB is more professional and has far superior tools and features. Profile comments, friends system, personal statements. Infact, the whole profile system is pretty hightech and superior to what this forum and any other vB forum has "/ In topics, they were the first to bring out multi-quotes, which even have images behind the quoted text (for extra snazzyness). I also believe they're more customizable, while a vB are a little less.

@xP
02-02-2007, 11:38 PM
o.0 sorry to tell you this but:
A: Invisonfree is a free host who use a universal liecence of the ipb 1.3.x forum software.
B: IPB and invsionfree are not the same thing
C: IPB is a professional forum software solution, it costs and is very powerful
D: You are obviously completely ****** in the head if you think writeing an arcade is easy.
E: Well one of the more common arcades for VB is a direct recode of the ipb arcade

Your kinda right, i am smashed oput my face Rofl.. im outa this. im like wrecked drubk

---MAD---
03-02-2007, 07:26 AM
I dislike the way IPB went about that. Its a total mess, so much on 1 page, its just stupid to put that much information on a profile page. vBulletin will hopefully add this sooner or later but in a neater fashion :).

ItchysPaws
12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
OK IP.Board all the way, IPB is 1000000% more professional and better value for money (Before 2.2 came out, there new licensing sucks xD).

Alot of vB's features are cheap versions of IPB's ones. If vBulletin do add the profile page, it wont be neater fashion, just take a look at vB's default skin, its crap!

As for the ACP, vB is way behind, I mean who uses split screens anymore, IPB's acp is hot, for those that havent seen it, get a online demo. Its sexy :)

I have used IPB for 3 years since 1.3, and it has got better everytime. I have made about 40 mods for IPB (AH Modding on Invisonize, IPSBeyond etc.), and I know the coding inside out, its tidy, effective, nice syntaxes.

Anyone that does own vB, i do not know the code, but does it have easy stuff and variables such as

$this->ipsclass->member['id']
$this->ipsclass->DB->do_update
$this->ipsclass->adskin->page_title = "Hello";

Etc., they have made it very easy for the coding side :)
Anyway, vB is behind, face it. Also IPB release QUALITY releases, about one a year for major ones, bug fixes when they roll in. vB seems to make a release every day >.>

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!