PDA

View Full Version : Vista - A good step forward for Microsoft? [Closes 02/03/07]

---MAD---
02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Is Vista a step in the right direction for Microsoft or is the operating system just too complex for most PCs?

Vista requires 15 GB spaces and 1 GB Ram to run. Most people will have to buy new computers just to be able to run it with good performance. Do you think Microsoft went too advanced too early?

Ashhizzle
02-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Depends if the change is really worth it.. if its not what its cracked up to be, its pointless ;]

F32
02-02-2007, 07:53 PM
lol at 15gb.

It's just XP with a fancy look.

letisix
02-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Um It really Depend's What it's Like i will tell You Monday :)

.:TeamAmerica:.
02-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Yes, I do think Vista is a good step foward. I myself have used this system and to be honest, it is amazing! Some of the features are excellent. With Vista, there is new multimedia features and enhanced security.

Most people say to wait a few weeks/months as it will have bugs in it, which is true.

I laugh at people who complain about having to go and buy a new computer for Vista. Technology is changing, some things demand more. I myself am saving up for a new computer and will definatly choose Vista as my operating system.

DJ-Precocious
02-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I do think it is a good move, although at first there was a lot of talk about Vista looking like Mac OSX but I think it was actually just Mac junkies being picky. Vista looks good and I will be able to use it this weekend hopefully if i get my new lappie by then, so I will be able to see if it works well or not.

F32
02-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Enhanced Security?

It was cracked in two days.

Lost-Shark
02-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Don't have to buy a new PC.
We recently Installed a new hardrive with 160 GB of space. Which was quite cheap ( Under £100 )
And we installed this thing called Kingston RAM Now we have 1.5 GB of ram

DiscoPat
02-02-2007, 08:17 PM
I think it is a good step.

Oni
02-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Enhanced Security?

''/ It has better protection against virus' etc not that it cant be cracked.

Mentor
02-02-2007, 08:36 PM
If it took 2 days since the releace its pretty secure, most things end up craked a few months before they come out "/
Plus looks to be good, my issues with someone of the new drm trusted circitry crap theyve thrown in, I dont like being told what i can and cant do with my own computer. But aside from that, its a pretty decent O/S

Oni
02-02-2007, 08:45 PM
If it took 2 days since the releace its pretty secure, most things end up craked a few months before they come out "/
Plus looks to be good, my issues with someone of the new drm trusted circitry crap theyve thrown in, I dont like being told what i can and cant do with my own computer. But aside from that, its a pretty decent O/S
Thats what I thought. Ive ordered it for my new pc [free upgrade] but im not really that excited its just another O/S.

DaveTaylor
02-02-2007, 08:54 PM
xero please learn to stfu when you don't know what your on about the cracks are all patched already so thats your arguement gone, second its not actually anything like xp as its more enchanted in may differant ways so please shut up

---MAD---
02-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Enhanced Security?

I think no matter what they do, it will be cracked. After all about 90% of the world use a Microsoft operating system ;).

Also, at those that say its just a new looking XP, that is completely false. It has amazing new search features, burn feature and amazing music / picture sorting. Picture editing is very easy too now, you dont need to be an expert to make a bad picture look amazing :). Those are just the few features I saw being used.

RedStratocas
02-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Haha, apparently mac has had all the features vista does for the past 3 years or something. So it might be good, but they're a bit behind.

DJ-Precocious
02-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Haha, apparently mac has had all the features vista does for the past 3 years or something. So it might be good, but they're a bit behind.

People said that vista is a copy of mac osx but mac cant really talk bout nicking ideas lol

---MAD---
02-02-2007, 09:06 PM
I really hate the way macs work, dont know why though.

Mentor
02-02-2007, 09:20 PM

Thats mainly becuse mac has more fanboys spreading crap than any O/S though, Id still say XP is better than a mac o/S, never lown Vista.

GommeInc
02-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Thats mainly becuse mac has more fanboys spreading crap than any O/S though, Id still say XP is better than a mac o/S, never lown Vista.
Indeed. Whoever created the adverts for Macs should of been shot at birth. At the end of the day, Windows don't need to make half wit adverts to make themselves look cool. As we said one day at college, the person playing Mac should be 50+, because 55% of Mac users are 50+ :P Not to mention, the person playing PC looks like he is doing good for himself, the Mac actor is a "hippy."

I will one day go for Vista, but at the moment, I'll wait for a good few months.

DJ-Precocious
02-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Not to mention, the person playing PC looks like he is doing good for himself, the Mac actor is a "hippy."

Too true the guy who is representing Macs is a broke hippie who spent all his money on an overpriced mac, whereas the PC probably has a nice house with all the things he needs in the world, because he got a job and didnt go to woodstock. lol

GommeInc
02-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Too true the guy who is representing Macs is a broke hippie who spent all his money on an overpriced mac, whereas the PC probably has a nice house with all the things he needs in the world, because he got a job and didnt go to woodstock. lol
Did you notice in the adverts that PC sounds like he has a family, while with Mac he doesn't exactly talk about his. PC's family must be very good, if you can run them like an office :P

So amoungst that success, PC has a happy family that can change easily.

EDIT: I just watched it, he doesn't hint he has much of a family "/

DJ-Precocious
02-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Yea the mac is a uni student with a trust fund and the PC earned his lifestyle and deserves it lol

.:TeamAmerica:.
02-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Enhanced Security?

It's been out for ages on forums etc. and beta testers.

I've had it for ages and I love it.

Caution
02-02-2007, 09:46 PM
No, requires to much memory.

DJ-Precocious
02-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Its not made for old computers for that reason they decided to make it for the future of PCs and the way things are going you can get a decent amount of ram for not too much if your getting a desktop and even laptops are getting more reasonable.

GommeInc
02-02-2007, 10:13 PM
My PC might be able to handle it, it has 2GB RAM and alot of free memory which isn't going to be taken up very fast at the moment.

When Mac OS X was released, could you update an old Mac to it? Or did you have to buy a new Mac altogether?

I am studying the adverts, and it seems to make Mac look crap than great "/ "The way I see it" says Mac. Yes, the way you see something, you take it and blow it up so that it means something completely different. They dominate Home and Office, not take Office to Home. God, it just makes Apple look like fools really "/

Mentor
02-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Did you notice in the adverts that PC sounds like he has a family, while with Mac he doesn't exactly talk about his. PC's family must be very good, if you can run them like an office :P

So amoungst that success, PC has a happy family that can change easily.

EDIT: I just watched it, he doesn't hint he has much of a family "/

True, PC has a happy family. The mac guy is a broke hippy with no friends never lown a family, seriously whod date a guy whod use a mac :rolleyes:

Plus the bus stop adverts **** me off as well. The mac guy can keep his i was build for pics and music. you just need to add a few miles of scroll on to the Pcs to describe what real operateing systems are cabable of o.0

GommeInc
02-02-2007, 10:21 PM
True, PC has a happy family. The mac guy is a broke hippy with no friends never lown a family, seriously whod date a guy whod use a mac :rolleyes:

Plus the bus stop adverts **** me off as well. The mac guy can keep his i was build for pics and music. you just need to add a few miles of scroll on to the Pcs to describe what real operateing systems are cabable of o.0
God, them adverts are annoying! They're on Myspace aswell, I thought they got rid of them for a while there... They disappeared yesterday.

Actually, there's a difference. Myspace's Mac advert says:

PC: I'm better at work stuff.
Mac: I'm better at fun stuff.

I don't find editting pictures and videos that fun, or how it is portrayed in the adverts. More of a time waster or thing to do really. Besides, you can badly blow up those ideas. A system is really just for work, at you can work to make a good home movie. So really, that advert is just saying that PC is good for literally everything, while Mac is only good for things which can be easily done with a PC, just as well "/

BL!NKEY
02-02-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't find editting pictures and videos that fun, or how it is portrayed in the adverts. More of a time waster or thing to do really.

I find it fun. Making movies is not a time waster. Neither is making a really cool picture.

Anyways this is kind of like the is the iPhone a good idea debate.

I think Vista is a good step foward for Microsoft.

The world of computer is getting more competitive and people should get computers that can handle Vista.

This thread is not about OSX vs. Vista

Vista is a big improvement and has lots of cool features. Like the iPhone, time will tell how much of an impact it will make on the industry.

GommeInc
02-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I find it fun. Making movies is not a time waster. Neither is making a really cool picture.

Anyways this is kind of like the is the iPhone a good idea debate.

I think Vista is a good step foward for Microsoft.

The world of computer is getting more competitive and people should get computers that can handle Vista.

This thread is not about OSX vs. Vista

Vista is a big improvement and has lots of cool features. Like the iPhone, time will tell how much of an impact it will make on the industry.
It is fun, but not in the way 'Mac' protrays it. He makes it seem like it is the best thing in the world, using his amazing, nearly monotone voice. I cannot think of the exact word that you could use. Half the time you don't need to do much with videos, other than join them all together to make a film. If you want special effects, then it can be fun :D

Mentor
02-02-2007, 10:37 PM
God, them adverts are annoying! They're on Myspace aswell, I thought they got rid of them for a while there... They disappeared yesterday.

Actually, there's a difference. Myspace's Mac advert says:

PC: I'm better at work stuff.
Mac: I'm better at fun stuff.
That from a Computer that cant play around 90% of all games... :rolleyes:

Agreed, both can be done with pc's just as well though "/ In some cases even easyer due to more 3rd party apps being up for the job in windows, so the adverts really annoy me. Dispite my own technical prefrances, the adverts seriosly do put me off mac, since the mac guy just comes accross as such an arrgoant ****

Although i suppose your right, this topic aint really about the deep seated hatrid of the apple adverts lol.

F32
02-02-2007, 11:37 PM
xero please learn to stfu when you don't know what your on about the cracks are all patched already so thats your arguement gone, second its not actually anything like xp as its more enchanted in may differant ways so please shut up
i do know.

they are patched now, obviously.

RedStratocas
02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Indeed. Whoever created the adverts for Macs should of been shot at birth. At the end of the day, Windows don't need to make half wit adverts to make themselves look cool. As we said one day at college, the person playing Mac should be 50+, because 55% of Mac users are 50+ :P Not to mention, the person playing PC looks like he is doing good for himself, the Mac actor is a "hippy."

I will one day go for Vista, but at the moment, I'll wait for a good few months.

Actually the guy playing the PC is John Hodgemen (sp?), he's a semi-known comedian and journalist. He works on the Daily Show (greatest show ever) as a correspondent. Here's a clip (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DeKRxQxVCT0) of him on the Daily Show (with a brief joke on him being the PC), he's quite funny.

Actually Im not sure if you guys have the same commercials.

Mentor
03-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Actually the guy playing the PC is John Hodgemen (sp?), he's a semi-known comedian and journalist. He works on the Daily Show (greatest show ever) as a correspondent. Here's a clip (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DeKRxQxVCT0) of him on the Daily Show (with a brief joke on him being the PC), he's quite funny.

Actually Im not sure if you guys have the same commercials.

he was on the old load of commersals. hes the best one, although apple got rid of him becuse everyone liked him to much, he got replaced with the annoying guy, whos in peep show if youve ever seen it?

RedStratocas
03-02-2007, 12:03 AM
he was on the old load of commersals. hes the best one, although apple got rid of him becuse everyone liked him to much, he got replaced with the annoying guy, whos in peep show if youve ever seen it?

Oh that stinks.

HUGECOOL
04-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I think it's funny that people ***** and moan that an ad promoting one product does so at the expense of another. Welcome to TV children. Ever watch a car commercial, to have one car pass others on the highway to make them look like crap, and you could've sworn you saw a debaged BMW, Mercedes or an Audi amongst the proclaimed losers? People can complain about the Mac ads all they like, but the simple truth is that this is how lots of companies run their ads. It's just a form of marketing, and it isn't going away any time soon. I'd say that the points being made in the ads are fundamentally correct once you look beyond the hyperbole. At the end of the day, Windows machines/OS's ARE typically built for more productivity-type work and Macs are typically built for more media-centric work, but maybe that'll change with Vista. Also, for the record, doesn't anyone remember this ad campaign from a couple years ago? http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/facts/default.mspx The site is different than it used to be, but if you look at it, it's all the same stuff - one note quotes on how complicated linux is and how great windows is. And their claim in 04 was that long run Windows-based systems were cheaper in the long-run than linux based systems. And linux people were in an uproar saying their data was misleading and the reports were by hired analysts and whatnot and eventually MS had to pull the data. So, Apple's not the only one who slants advertising to sell a product (not that that's uncommon practice in general, anyway). But I think this isn't that big of a deal. It's funny, it's tongue-in-cheek, it's advertising (not "lying"), MS has done the same type thing in the past, let's all relax and move on. And I'll stop there. Pointless turning the debate section into Mac OS X vs Vista. Technology section is taking care of that quite nicely.

Now, on to Vista..

A couple of days ago, I received an invite from Microsoft in my email to go to a Vista launch party but I had to go out of town. Turns out there was another party where I was going so I went. It was pretty well organized and I managed to win a copy of Vista Ultimate + Office 2007, so I can't really complain. ;p (Everyone also got a flash drive and some guy won a laptop. My flash drive broke a day later though. =/) So I'll write what I think about Vista thus far.

The new OS is a huge overhaul of XP. The UI looks very elegant and professional, despite the system requirements. There are many new features in it that I've found useful on this OS even though I use them on OS X on a daily basis, but having the features natively on another OS is also very exciting. It's not about who stole from whom, but how the features are integrated to work with one another and ultimately deliver a great experience to the user. Being a Windows user, the interface wasn't too confusing. Some options had new locations, so I had to hunt for them a little. The Instant Search was also very nicely implemented although I kept bringing it out on accident when I typed something. A minor annoyance, but I guess its PEBKAC for the most part. :P Installing drivers was also pretty easy to do. I was expecting 'New Hardware found omg" dialog windows popping up everywhere but the system just ran an update and installed my peripherals in the background- a very nice touch as well. Media Center also worked well for the most part. It closed down on me the second time so I had to re-open it. Overall, media features were integrated nicely and it was easy enough to navigate through. The UAC (User Access Control) is VERY annoying though. Luckily, I found a way to turn it off before completely deleting Vista off my computer. (Just go to Control Panel > User Profiles > Your Profile > Disable User Access Control.) But I suppose that's all for secuirty although I can imagine an amateur user going crazy with all the window closing just to delete a file. Useful, yes; Convenient, not really. But the solution was easy enough to find, although disabling it would just render the new secuirty feature useless. I also had Office 2007 and it's still giving me issues. Before installing Office, I downloaded Live Messenger to chat while I installed Office. Office finished installing so I just closed the installation window. After that, any change I made to Messenger (ie- changing DP, opening/closing messeger or something) will bring up Windows Installer (msiexec.exe). o_O So, that's very annoying to go through every time I open messenger, so I might just get rid of Office for now- I already have it on Mac. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. The new Start Menu gets kinda of annoying because I'm used to the expanding lists, but I'll keep it because it looks nice. DreamScene(s?) is also a new feature for Windows Vista Ultimate. It allows you to have a movie file (a looping mpeg or something) playing as your desktop background, like Quartz Extreme does on Macs. But it wasn't what I expected. Currently on my Mac desktop, I have this program called Soundstream (http://pcheese.net/software/soundstream/desktop.html) that basically has floating particles which react to sound coming from a microphone. A little disappointing because it's pretty fun watching the animated desktop when playing music, or talking to yourself. :P (As a side note, I'd like to mention DreamScene only works with Windows Vista Ultimate. If you have Ultimate, just download the Ultimate Extras updates which installs this feature.) Voice commands are also pretty neat to use although there was difficulty getting some things done even after 20 minutes of voice training. (Kept getting, "What was that?" messages, so it got annoying- I turned it off.) Performance-wise, it barely touched the CPU and memory was pretty abundant, so browsing through it with all eye-candy enabled was pretty zippy. I wish I could've tried games, but that wasn't possible. The game I play, Silkroad Online, was unable to run on Vista which was pretty disappointing since I was thinking of deleting my XP partition and replace it with Vista. Since that's not happening I'll have to keep XP a while longer until support for the game is available.

Overall, Vista is a great step for Microsoft in order to make computers today more media-centric and user-friendly. I enjoyed using Vista, but not enough to make it my main OS. One of the main reasons people preferred XP over Windows 2000 was the compatibility with legacy software. Although Windows 2000 Pro offered this option, it was not really seen until Windows XP since it was available to everyone and not just businesses. Vista's support for *some* software is not yet available, so check to see if all your current XP software is supported before upgrading to Vista. The User Interface, although very nice looking and elegant, will be difficult for new users to adjust to. Some might find it frustrating to adjust to it because of the new layout of the options, but I suppose that'll vary from person to person. I'll give Vista a 7/10 for a vastly improved OS in both aesthetics and functionality, but in my opinion, uses too many resources for the mainstream to use on older machines. So it's a double-edged sword for Microsoft and consumers alike.

Stephen!
04-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Well said

DJ-Precocious
04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Just got my new laptop with VISTA and now I definetly think it was a good idea, it looks great it works great and the way computers are made now means that most NEW! Laptops/Desktops can run vista smoothly.

Mentor
04-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I think it's funny that people ***** and moan that an ad promoting one product does so at the expense of another. Welcome to TV children. Ever watch a car commercial, to have one car pass others on the highway to make them look like crap, and you could've sworn you saw a debaged BMW, Mercedes or an Audi amongst the proclaimed losers? People can complain about the Mac ads all they like, but the simple truth is that this is how lots of companies run their ads. It's just a form of marketing, and it isn't going away any time soon. I'd say that the points being made in the ads are fundamentally correct once you look beyond the hyperbole. At the end of the day, Windows machines/OS's ARE typically built for more productivity-type work and Macs are typically built for more media-centric work, but maybe that'll change with Vista. Also, for the record, doesn't anyone remember this ad campaign from a couple years ago? http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/facts/default.mspx The site is different than it used to be, but if you look at it, it's all the same stuff - one note quotes on how complicated linux is and how great windows is. And their claim in 04 was that long run Windows-based systems were cheaper in the long-run than linux based systems. And linux people were in an uproar saying their data was misleading and the reports were by hired analysts and whatnot and eventually MS had to pull the data. So, Apple's not the only one who slants advertising to sell a product (not that that's uncommon practice in general, anyway). But I think this isn't that big of a deal. It's funny, it's tongue-in-cheek, it's advertising (not "lying"), MS has done the same type thing in the past, let's all relax and move on. And I'll stop there. Pointless turning the debate section into Mac OS X vs Vista. Technology section is taking care of that quite nicely.
You'll notice microsoft also got ******* of when it did? Linux is better than both O/s's anyway (well possibly depending on the distro at least), its only flaw is its limited selection of device drivers "/ Just becuse microsoft has lied in the past doesnt make it ok for apple to do the same you know.

Now, on to Vista..

A couple of days ago, I received an invite from Microsoft in my email to go to a Vista launch party but I had to go out of town. Turns out there was another party where I was going so I went. It was pretty well organized and I managed to win a copy of Vista Ultimate + Office 2007, so I can't really complain. ;p (Everyone also got a flash drive and some guy won a laptop. My flash drive broke a day later though. =/) So I'll write what I think about Vista thus far.

The new OS is a huge overhaul of XP. The UI looks very elegant and professional, despite the system requirements. There are many new features in it that I've found useful on this OS even though I use them on OS X on a daily basis, but having the features natively on another OS is also very exciting. It's not about who stole from whom, but how the features are integrated to work with one another and ultimately deliver a great experience to the user. Being a Windows user, the interface wasn't too confusing. Some options had new locations, so I had to hunt for them a little. The Instant Search was also very nicely implemented although I kept bringing it out on accident when I typed something. A minor annoyance, but I guess its PEBKAC for the most part. :P Installing drivers was also pretty easy to do. I was expecting 'New Hardware found omg" dialog windows popping up everywhere but the system just ran an update and installed my peripherals in the background- a very nice touch as well. Media Center also worked well for the most part. It closed down on me the second time so I had to re-open it. Overall, media features were integrated nicely and it was easy enough to navigate through. The UAC (User Access Control) is VERY annoying though. Luckily, I found a way to turn it off before completely deleting Vista off my computer. (Just go to Control Panel > User Profiles > Your Profile > Disable User Access Control.) But I suppose that's all for secuirty although I can imagine an amateur user going crazy with all the window closing just to delete a file. Useful, yes; Convenient, not really. But the solution was easy enough to find, although disabling it would just render the new secuirty feature useless. I also had Office 2007 and it's still giving me issues. Before installing Office, I downloaded Live Messenger to chat while I installed Office. Office finished installing so I just closed the installation window. After that, any change I made to Messenger (ie- changing DP, opening/closing messeger or something) will bring up Windows Installer (msiexec.exe). o_O So, that's very annoying to go through every time I open messenger, so I might just get rid of Office for now- I already have it on Mac. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. The new Start Menu gets kinda of annoying because I'm used to the expanding lists, but I'll keep it because it looks nice. DreamScene(s?) is also a new feature for Windows Vista Ultimate. It allows you to have a movie file (a looping mpeg or something) playing as your desktop background, like Quartz Extreme does on Macs. But it wasn't what I expected. Currently on my Mac desktop, I have this program called Soundstream (http://pcheese.net/software/soundstream/desktop.html) that basically has floating particles which react to sound coming from a microphone. A little disappointing because it's pretty fun watching the animated desktop when playing music, or talking to yourself. :P (As a side note, I'd like to mention DreamScene only works with Windows Vista Ultimate. If you have Ultimate, just download the Ultimate Extras updates which installs this feature.) Voice commands are also pretty neat to use although there was difficulty getting some things done even after 20 minutes of voice training. (Kept getting, "What was that?" messages, so it got annoying- I turned it off.) Performance-wise, it barely touched the CPU and memory was pretty abundant, so browsing through it with all eye-candy enabled was pretty zippy. I wish I could've tried games, but that wasn't possible. The game I play, Silkroad Online, was unable to run on Vista which was pretty disappointing since I was thinking of deleting my XP partition and replace it with Vista. Since that's not happening I'll have to keep XP a while longer until support for the game is available.

Overall, Vista is a great step for Microsoft in order to make computers today more media-centric and user-friendly. I enjoyed using Vista, but not enough to make it my main OS. One of the main reasons people preferred XP over Windows 2000 was the compatibility with legacy software. Although Windows 2000 Pro offered this option, it was not really seen until Windows XP since it was available to everyone and not just businesses. Vista's support for *some* software is not yet available, so check to see if all your current XP software is supported before upgrading to Vista. The User Interface, although very nice looking and elegant, will be difficult for new users to adjust to. Some might find it frustrating to adjust to it because of the new layout of the options, but I suppose that'll vary from person to person. I'll give Vista a 7/10 for a vastly improved OS in both aesthetics and functionality, but in my opinion, uses too many resources for the mainstream to use on older machines. So it's a double-edged sword for Microsoft and consumers alike.
As much as im inclined to hate you for getting a free copy :p, it was a pretty good review, and its the UAC thats been putting me off updating, so far. Also im reluctant to switch, as most of the real innovation and added security comes with the 64 bit edition, which at the moment, next to nothing will actually work with, so im gonna wait till it becomes far more mainstream before making any moves "/ Also how did you manage to convince vista to install along side xp, without eating it? or has microsoft actualy learned to play nice with other O/S's with Vista?

ThisNameWillDo!
04-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes I do think it's a good step forward. :)

joshuar
04-02-2007, 07:00 PM
I think it's a good move for Microsoft, even though I will be staying with Windows XP for a while. My laptop is Vista Capable but I will be staying back for a while, as I doubt my laptop will run it effectively.

So far it sounds like a great OS though.

Skiller
04-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Until it has the all clear from people. Then i'm sure because xp when it came out had many bugs and viruses :/ so...I'll watch until it has been cleared.

Baby-

DaveTaylor
04-02-2007, 07:57 PM
there is no viruses for vista yet as its complety differant structure

Lubricant
04-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I think Vista is great. Installed it today and had no problems with it. (Except an installation error but that was to do with Panda Anti virus)

Fonejacker
04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
''/ It has better protection against virus' etc not that it cant be cracked.
it can be cracked... These a way around everything trust me

HUGECOOL
06-02-2007, 07:47 AM
You'll notice microsoft also got ******* of when it did? Linux is better than both O/s's anyway (well possibly depending on the distro at least), its only flaw is its limited selection of device drivers "/ Just becuse microsoft has lied in the past doesnt make it ok for apple to do the same you know
No, of course it isn't okay for Apple to lie about things. But my point is that these things are just for marketing. There's no use getting all angry on x company because they are trying to make their product look better than the competition's, regardless of any facts. That's what the ads are for. And getting angry over them just means the ad had an impact on the consumer, therefore functional, even if that impact was negative. There's no such thing as bad publicity, so if these commercials get people to talk about Apple products, they've done their job.

And yes, Linux is awesome. :D

As much as im inclined to hate you for getting a free copy :P, it was a pretty good review, and its the UAC thats been putting me off updating, so far. Also im reluctant to switch, as most of the real innovation and added security comes with the 64 bit edition, which at the moment, next to nothing will actually work with, so im gonna wait till it becomes far more mainstream before making any moves "/ Also how did you manage to convince vista to install along side xp, without eating it? or has microsoft actualy learned to play nice with other O/S's with Vista?
haha thanks. :P

Yeah, I forgot about the installation part, lol. That was kind of annoying. Vista's kept changing XP's boot files and then I'd restore XP's boot files and they disabled Vista's bootedit. >< So I found a program that would make them both behave and not kill each other. :P I actually don't have it anymore but I'll post it if I find it again.

Oh, and apparently, all Vista discs include all versions of Vista. o_O When it asks for the product key, if you don't enter one and click 'Next', it'll let you install whichever version of Vista you want. (The version of Windows is determined by the product key) But you'll have to activate it manually after you install it with the corresponding product key after it has finished installing.

Also, as of today, Silkroad Online now supports Vista, so I can finally delete XP. xD

Titch
06-02-2007, 04:00 PM
WOOO i i just brought it and got it on, its nice but isnt worth the money i paied for it tho, getting bit over rated aswell

ColyTom
09-02-2007, 09:32 PM
There are always going to be the sceptics and people that don't like change but overall, I think it was a good move for Microsoft and I will upgrade soon.

ElliotA
16-02-2007, 11:33 AM
i think it is a small step forward but it is xp with a new look and some new programes on it

GommeInc
16-02-2007, 12:13 PM
i think it is a small step forward but it is xp with a new look and some new programes on it
I don't understand how people got this conclusion... XP is just Windows 2000/ME with a new look and less features (some shops still use ME/2000, because XP is not easy to work around).

What I ask these people that have this strange idea is, how could you make a new system look completely different than its old system? Did the person who got this idea not think about this?

Mentor
17-02-2007, 05:45 AM
i think it is a small step forward but it is xp with a new look and some new programs on it

WTH? o.0 Its not even based on XP? Theres no XP in it? Its based on windows server 2003 damn it! not Xp.

:Liam
22-02-2007, 03:24 PM
I think it is a good step forward for people who can use it however for people who dont have vista they can get a free skin (like the one I have) that uses alot of vistas features like docklets and new themes like vista aero ect.

22-02-2007, 10:08 PM
It is a good OS and i think that it is a good step forward in that it shows that they can create something like this and even though there are problems with it, i think that when it comes down to it you cant make it 100&#37; perfect and there are bound to be issues in relation to compatability with applications.

Oni
22-02-2007, 10:55 PM
it can be cracked... These a way around everything trust me
I know i said NOT!

crans
22-02-2007, 11:04 PM
I like Vista, only thing that annoys me is when you try and install or change something major, your screen goes black and it asks you for your permission.

It's so annoying, apart from that my Vista (Home basic) is pretty good.

The graphics is alot better, easy to find/search for anything/everything.

GommeInc
22-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Isn't there an option anywhere that allows you turn the extra secure security off? Or tone it down a bit? I am sure they wouldn't let it go without a few options to customize it...

23-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I like Vista, only thing that annoys me is when you try and install or change something major, your screen goes black and it asks you for your permission.

It's so annoying, apart from that my Vista (Home basic) is pretty good.

The graphics is alot better, easy to find/search for anything/everything.

You can turn this off you know. Its user permissions. It annoyed me so i turned it up only thing that comes up now is when i first turn it on it just reminds me that the user control thing is turned off.

RedStratocas
23-02-2007, 07:54 PM
I think it is a good step forward for people who can use it however for people who dont have vista they can get a free skin (like the one I have) that uses alot of vistas features like docklets and new themes like vista aero ect.

Yeah, but those are more looks not really features.

Joweii
24-02-2007, 09:36 AM
I do nt see the advantages in vista

Mentor
24-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I do nt see the advantages in vista

Well alot of the advantages are behind the scenes the full file indexing for search based interface for exsample, Airo as another (although widly misunderstood is a massivly powerful graphical system which can do complex renderings with next to no processing) The 64 bit arcutecture is another important feature, although not yet widely established enough for proper use. The rewrite of the driver system makes it alot more secure, although has the disadvnatge of meaning drivers need to be rewritten to work on vista "/

---MAD---
24-02-2007, 11:36 AM
My friend just installed vista and its very very good.

GTA-Andy
24-02-2007, 01:48 PM
As a Beta Tester, It does not matter if Vista is good or bad you'll all buy it. Eventually all new software will require Vista to run, already nearly all new computers come with Vista. Theres no need to go and buy it yet, once you require it then buy it becuase buy then you will have brought your computer up to spec anyways.

---MAD---
24-02-2007, 02:44 PM
As a Beta Tester, It does not matter if Vista is good or bad you'll all buy it. Eventually all new software will require Vista to run, already nearly all new computers come with Vista. Theres no need to go and buy it yet, once you require it then buy it becuase buy then you will have brought your computer up to spec anyways.
Yeap :).

beth
24-02-2007, 03:05 PM
of course it's a good move for windows, it's going to make millions from people who want to be up to date. in my opinion; it's the same as xp with a new skin & i think the skin's ugly.
aha. i hate vistaaa.

Tristan
24-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I have Vista with my new computer. :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!