PDA

View Full Version : How do JellyFish Make babies?

BobX
10-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey, I was watching this programme and it was talking about how jellyfish numbers "Bloom during may-june" and i was wondering how?

if any of you can copy and paste or anything ill rep :) ty! :D

Luckyrare
10-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Most jellyfish pass through two different body forms during their life cycle. The first is the polyp stage; in this phase, the jellyfish takes the form of either a sessile stalk which catches passing food, or a similar free-floating configuration. The polyp's mouth and tentacles are located anteriorly, facing upwards.

In the second stage, the jellyfish is known as a medusa. Medusae have a radially symmetric, umbrella-shaped body called a bell. The medusa's tentacles hang from the border of the bell.

Jellyfish are dioecious (that is, they are either male or female). In most cases, to reproduce, a male releases his sperm into the surrounding water. The sperm then swims into the mouth of the female jelly, allowing the fertilization of the ova process to begin. Moon jellies, however, use a different process: their eggs become lodged in pits on the oral arms, which form a temporary brood chamber to accommodate fertilization.

After fertilization and initial growth, a larval form, called the planula, develops from the egg. The planula larva is small and covered with cilia. It settles onto a firm surface and develops into a polyp. The polyp is cup-shaped with tentacles surrounding a single orifice, perhaps resembling a tiny sea anemone. Once the polyp begins reproducing asexually by budding, it's called a segmenting polyp, or a scyphistoma. New scyphistomae may be produced by budding or new, immature jellies called ephyra may be formed. Many jellyfish can bud off new medusae directly from the medusan stage.

It should be noted that most jellyfish do not live longer than six months, 2 months being more common.

wikipedia <3

scubadiva
10-02-2007, 10:40 PM
wikipedia <3

Is there anything that's not on wikipedia. I wouldn't be surprised if they've written a page on me. I'll check :P

BobX
10-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Oooh, interesting, thanks for that!+ rep :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!