PDA

View Full Version : Ban on playground contact games

Dan2nd
13-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Headteacher Susan Tuck said pupils were copying computer games
A Lincolnshire school has banned physical playground games because pupils were copying violent computer games, making playtime too rough.
The ban has been introduced at St John's Primary at Bracebridge Heath near Lincoln.

The ban involves contact playground games like tag and kiss chase. Sports like football or cricket are not part of the ban.

The school said it had introduced non-physical games chosen by pupils.

'Having a laugh'

Headteacher Susan Tuck said: "The children are watching television, they're watching films and they're playing computer games, very often it's the violent element of that they are seeing and hearing.

"That's what they're going to come on to our playground to play, we want to change that picture."

Lincolnshire Education Authority said it was up to individual schools to decide what they allowed at playtime.

But Joe Foote, the play development officer at The Cheeky Monkey's after-school club in Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, said contact games should be encouraged.

"All children love to play games, lots of physical running around, having a laugh, falling over.

"Sometimes children do have accidents, that's part and parcel of growing up and achieving."

Stupid huh?

Browney
13-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Very. I'm 14 and we are banned from playing Rugby at lunch because we might hurt ourselves. :rolleyes:

scubadiva
13-02-2007, 02:59 PM
They tried to do that in our primary school ages back. We could play 'Tag Bulldog' (v. popular game for Year 6s at that time :P) we couldn't, we had to play stare bulldog instead. POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS TAKING OVER!!!

:Hazel
13-02-2007, 03:00 PM
this world is too politically correct and paranoid now.

benjamin
13-02-2007, 03:01 PM
my primary school banned bulldog.

but our secondary school lets us play :]

Ashhizzle
13-02-2007, 04:45 PM
SOurce? pls (L) and amgs kiss chase, whats violent about that?

DCeption
13-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Thats a skool near me :P

samsaBEAR
13-02-2007, 05:39 PM
lol@that
so they ban tag, but they dont ban cricket? a swift boiwl/hit of the ball into the groin area of a male can do serious damage
hmm, that school sucks

uh huh her
13-02-2007, 06:42 PM
imo its the stupidest thing to do. its good for younger children to go through some "damage" as they're growing up, cos it just makes them stronger. banning games which cause very little injuries like tag, is just idiotic. soon kids will only be allowed in the playground wearing helmets and pads, wrapped in bubble wrap in case they fall over "/.
plus they haven't banned football, which imo is more of a contact sport than tag.

Browney
13-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I wish teachers would get some common sense. It's a valuable lesson when you swing to fast on the swings and fall off, it teaches kids not to.

dirrty
13-02-2007, 07:13 PM
my primary school banned bulldog.

but our secondary school lets us play :]
samesame
my high school banned bulldog lmao cause ppl got hurt. lol
bulldog is a well gd game tho.

Browney
13-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Omg, I love bulldog. (l)

Used to play it all the time but my high school banned it.

DiscoPat
13-02-2007, 08:15 PM
they obviously have nothing better to do..

Browney
13-02-2007, 08:22 PM
They are just afraid of being sued.

Mentor
13-02-2007, 11:29 PM
They say it like its somthing new, not just them become an overprotecive nanny state type instritution. Kids were doing the same things back when power rangers haddnt yet achieaved its billions spin off series, as they are with the modern tv and games.

GommeInc
13-02-2007, 11:44 PM
It reminds me of a teacher I had at my old school. She had a rule which was:

"No footballs kicked above my knees."

She wasn't exactly a tall woman... You weren't allowed to run after each other in a huge game of it, because you could all fall over. Just a small game was allowed. I think Bull Dog was also banned sometimes aswell...

Anyway, she wasn't on break duty all the time, so it didn't matter.

It is a bit of a daft rule anyway. Thankfully, it isn't everywhere.

Disento
13-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Everything is too P.C. (Politically Correct) now :(

joshuar
14-02-2007, 12:18 AM
My primary school banned Bulldog, my secondry don't seem to care unless someone is being bullied, oh and they banned pixies on each other.

It's stupid, and I don't use politically correct terms, I just disagree with it, who really cares, if I said Postman to my aunt (who is a "Post person") she couldn't give two :rude: .

But it's gunna stay, no matter how stupid it is.

-Soph-
14-02-2007, 03:33 AM
thats pathetic..

ElliotA
15-02-2007, 10:12 PM
what the hell. How can someone who dose not play the sport ban it? He/they needs to get a life.

Oni
15-02-2007, 10:28 PM
And they wonder why kids are getting fat...

Machoman679
15-02-2007, 11:22 PM
lol yh h

DJCurto
27-02-2007, 11:18 PM
How sad can they get

Bef
27-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Lol i remember in primary we used to play bulldogs which was two teams pretty much battering the crud out of each other when they tried to run from one side of the playground to the other. Anyway, they banned it every week so we just renamed it every week and carried on playing :D

Barkseh2131
27-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Don't know about secondry school but primary school kids will loes out. When i was in primary that's all we could do.

Catzsy
28-02-2007, 12:18 PM
That is really political corectness gone mad! My friend has to do a project on his days in his old primary school and he is worried that he might be arrested if he takes pictures of it .

beer
28-02-2007, 01:23 PM
thats mental. so what if its a contact sport? lol i remember when i used to be at primary chasing girls about. twas fun. And yeah make no wonder kids r getting fat :P

Jam
28-02-2007, 03:26 PM
thats mental. so what if its a contact sport? lol i remember when i used to be at primary chasing girls about. twas fun. And yeah make no wonder kids r getting fat :P

Lol Exactly Them Same... Good Memories... Now In Middley High (It Getting Someink Done... :S) Its Boring Just Talk. Everything Is banned. Also No Offence To Any Coloured People On The Forum, But Everything Is Sad Now, You Cannot Say Baa Baa Black Sheep, Without Being Called Racist. What IS This Country Coming To?

Browney
28-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Conkers got banned and you now need goggles. O_O

Catzsy
28-02-2007, 08:44 PM

LMAO .... that is the funniest post I have read in ages. Kids running around in goggles and hard hats......ha ha ha ha ha....my stomach is hurting. :D

Fonejacker
01-03-2007, 12:26 PM
:l we wernt aloud footballs cause somebody got a football in there face so we had to play with a tennis ball

Matt,
01-03-2007, 03:15 PM
And they wonder why kids are getting fat...

Lol yea

Rofl we got that at my primary school they used to ban pokemon cards :'( they try and protect little kids to much you need to get hurt to learn :)

Browney
01-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Lol yea

Rofl we got that at my primary school they used to ban pokemon cards :'( they try and protect little kids to much you need to get hurt to learn :)

We could'nt play tig after one guy got tug too hard and fell over. :rolleyes:

Kaytti
01-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Its like health and safety rule our world.

We can't play conkers without eye protection because some kid got hit in the eye?
We can't even do anything physical in drama because some idiot got over the top and hurt someone.
We can't play tug of war without supervision because someone, hit someone with the rope.

JEESE!

jackass
01-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I am completely fed up of what this country is becoming. They have taken away our fun, our childrens fun and I could go on forever. How are we supposed to learn if they don't let us do anything whatsoever. They cut down our ropeswing and trees and hills on our playing field, they said they were to dangerous. I told the person who told them to cut it down an idiot, because that IS what he is. If this goverment doesn't change, and not just this, everything else what its doing, I will move to a differant country, where you can acctaully DO things.

Browney
01-03-2007, 04:36 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
Emmigration is at an all time high actually.

User43
01-03-2007, 04:38 PM
at old school wasnt allowed to play bulldog

now we can do whatever we like

(accept knife people etc.)

Tiuhdur
01-03-2007, 05:50 PM
SOurce? pls (L) and amgs kiss chase, whats violent about that?

because the guys might rape he girls lols

stupid ban i liked playing rough its what ges you stronger and basically gets you ready for secondary school. trousers are washed on sunday and they are covered in mud by monday afternoon lol

^.^
01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
we go out for break and lunch so we can do whatever we want in my school so doesnt affect me lol

lAdmire
27-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't find it stupid at all. Because the kids are copying behaviour from these games such as fighting, some children may get hurt && it will be the school's fault instead of the child's. I think this whole copying behavior thing begins with the parents because the parent doesn't teach the child not to copy things they see on TV && doesn't teach them wrong from right so the child doesn't know. I think this teacher had every right to ban these types of things. But partly, I find it dumb because sometimes a kid wants to have fun && they can't because their on lock down because of school. I think school && home are two different places && rules should be set for one place && stick there. Unless, the parent is giving these rules for safety reasons for at school but a teacher in my opinion doesn't have the right to do so. Including this situation.

dirrty
27-04-2007, 10:45 PM
at my high school, they banned bulldog cause ppl got hurt and stuff. it was bare fun though. at my college, no one plays those games anymore as ppl here are yr 10-13. ppl re allowed to play football, basketball etc. on the astroturf at break & lunch aswell.

Caution
27-04-2007, 10:47 PM
what a bunch of :rude:. they're just making up a load of crap.

Very. I'm 14 and we are banned from playing Rugby at lunch because we might hurt ourselves. :rolleyes:
lmao. it's not like you're 4, i don't get why they're doing all this crap.

DJCurto
30-04-2007, 08:17 PM
i bet in a few months the kids r gunna go on strike

mangle
30-04-2007, 08:22 PM
i bet in a few months the kids r gunna go on strike
And the moon will fall into the sea.

Idno why they ban this , like they said its part of growing up. I mean at my school we have flying fruit , bottles and balls flying at your face. Part of life!

cocaine
30-04-2007, 08:23 PM
my primary school banned it because this dude ran full pelt into me and he screwed up his ankle.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!