PDA

View Full Version : Making an online game - well going to try.

paradox
13-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Im really bored of my life so i told my mates that im bored of life and they said "make an onine game it takes time and it will put hard work in to it" so i might aswell anyway i have 1 house made already

Please help me dont flame me for trying to make a game ill try hard as i can

Please post tip's for the game dont flame

Thanks

Any helpers/ job wanters will get +rep

Jovan

ADAMS
13-02-2007, 07:24 PM
What is it going to be

Shockwave
Flash
RPG
???

Swinkid
13-02-2007, 07:25 PM
make a java game like runescape but better graphix we need some more games like runescape really

Meticulous
13-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't understand the whole RPG and Java thing. And i'm crap at using 3D programmes.. So I admire you for going ahead with it. And I bet you can do it ;D

paradox
13-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Ok then runescape ish

[Oli]
13-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I don't play online games like habbo, runescape etc etc..
But if I listen arround these games can be quite popular, If you could succeed in making a good online community game it would be really nice.

But keep in mind though, if you ever want to have the 'popularity' habbo and runescape have you won't just have to put your effort into it, but to be honest, you'll have to put quite some funds into your project for it to succeed. (To pay graphics designers etc, game modellers etc..)

Once the game is all done, and if it would get a litle known, you can start by having "paid extra's". An online game can not survive without its paid for extra's, look at habbo (credits - habbo club), runescape (I don't know this 100% sure, but I thought even they had a paid for group like habbo club)

Anyway you get the point right.

Good luck, and if the game gets a bit known, be sure il check it out once ;)

lew!
13-02-2007, 07:36 PM
You need about £1 - 5k to pay For:

Websites,
Designers
Graphics
Features

And other things, You cant just say oh im gonna make a game on paint and then its a game -

Will it be in flash? i could help out with graphics

paradox
13-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Heres the layout

There will be a forum and the log in box previewed in 5minutes

-Layout (43% Finished // Banner needed)

http://www.****************/uploads/204849bf1b.bmp

redtom
13-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Well what do you know atm? what are you going to make it with?

EDIT: btw you might not fail but you will never make it work 24/7 with more then like 5 people on it mainly because lack of funds, thats if you are doing most of the work your self. I mean look at jabbatown or what ever its called.

paradox
13-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I might do it by myself i dont know yet

Anyway

Im making it all now im learning how to code

Etc what shall i start with

[Oli]
13-02-2007, 07:43 PM
You need about £1 - 5k to pay For:

Websites,
Designers
Graphics
Features

And other things, You cant just say oh im gonna make a game on paint and then its a game -

Will it be in flash? i could help out with graphics

I think £1 won't be enough, I had the graphics designers with habbo/runescape qualitys in mind, which will cost alot more. (ex. runescape is a whole 3d kind of world, so is habbo, but pixelated.)

Anyway, you'ld need more for proffesional help.

paradox
13-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Well ill bring it out on my own and my close mates, for free as its going to be a free game. then when it opens credits etc for £1 = 200 credits and then we'll carry on and then bring updates and more, and ill try

redtom
13-02-2007, 07:47 PM
;3123265']I think £1 won't be enough, I had the graphics designers with habbo/runescape qualitys in mind, which will cost alot more. (ex. runescape is a whole 3d kind of world, so is habbo, but pixelated.)

Anyway, you'ld need more for proffesional help.

True, it would be cheaper and easyer for pixel artists, but still be nearing 1k just for a small game, one time payment to young people for there graphics, you could't afford adults.

paradox
13-02-2007, 07:48 PM
http://www.****************/uploads/766bfab41d.bmp

Is layout redtom your really a nice person

Oni
13-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Id be willing to do most/all of the primary coding for you for free if you got a server.

paradox
13-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Wow Ill get a server

Ini
13-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Maybee you should start with a small hosting account until you get users.

Just trying to save you money :P

EDIT: Don't think much of template, and maybee you should add BETA on the end :D

ADAMS
13-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Maybee you should start with a small hosting account until you get users.

Just trying to save you money :P

EDIT: Don't think much of template, and maybee you should add BETA on the end :D

For a web game you need a server. So that you can install software and make it an online game.

Smurtz
13-02-2007, 08:37 PM
You should really plan this out properly first.

Name:
Weekly Budget:
What you want accomplished within a few months:
Beta Testers:
Maintenence:
Features:
New versions?:

If you was going to make a game like runescape, it won't be cheap. Your looking at a good 10k for a decent beta.
And let me add, you'd be lucky to get it running within 3 years of hard work

paradox
13-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok i had some pm's saying id fail so ill leave it

lew!
13-02-2007, 09:37 PM
i didnt mean £1 , i meant £1K. (£1000)

Layout is horrible, i would never go on game with a paint layout

brandon
13-02-2007, 09:46 PM
You can't afford it as a 11 year old mate. You'd have to be a late teenager to afford that cash. Or just mega rich kyle.

Mentor
13-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Lol, everyone always comes back with the same price is to much, you need all these facny apps. Tbh, its not true, quite some time ago, me an nets began putting together a Proof of concept game, that didnt requre anything above notepad and paint. Although due to collage/school, we ceased development early on, im considering reviving the project, since im pretty sure i can improve on alot of the core funtinarly by applying a more OOP approach to it :)

But, if you put in the time, effor, and learn, its quite possible to do, just set yourself a relaistic goal, and dont make a pointless aim, like to be habbo or somthing else, be orignal.

Sam
13-02-2007, 11:33 PM
If you revive it let me know :P

lew!
14-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Yes, that is kind of true 011. But however you still need to know coding ect and have a hell of a lot time if your gonna do it on your own (Code, make graphics ect) - But you would still need money for websites ect. sometimes you will make mistakes that will cost you a bit.

Oni
14-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Lol, everyone always comes back with the same price is to much, you need all these facny apps. Tbh, its not true, quite some time ago, me an nets began putting together a Proof of concept game, that didnt requre anything above notepad and paint. Although due to collage/school, we ceased development early on, im considering reviving the project, since im pretty sure i can improve on alot of the core funtinarly by applying a more OOP approach to it :)

But, if you put in the time, effor, and learn, its quite possible to do, just set yourself a relaistic goal, and dont make a pointless aim, like to be habbo or somthing else, be orignal.
Mmmmm its actually extremely easy to do in flash so easy that if you couldnt be bothered to code it you can even download the files you need free. I myself have already coded one using a book but it needs a server to connect too.

:Edzy
14-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Follow Your Dream

i know what you mean

everytime i tried i failed so i went to text based RPGs <--easy

but anyway

make it habbo / runescape combined!

good luck

-Ed

Mr.OSH
14-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Right look I'm not being mean but you can make a flash game quite easily but look at it there are 100's out on the net. Flash is easy and not many flash games get big. To make a successful game like Runescape or Habbo requires allot of time and effort. To be honest making a game like runescape or habbo is impossible from scratch. If you really want to make a game don't jump in at the deep end and try to create a full Java based game, start very basic in flash and learn Java and get people playing your flash games etc. Remember this is a full time thing that you have to put allot of work into 9/10 it wont work and further more you need a large team of experienced people to make a big game you need programmers to design and build the game and not just one person you need artists to design the graphics and you need support staff, website designers, server managers and the list goes on. Overall it isn't worth while unless you have a fair amount of funds allot of Friends who all are interested with a decent amount of knowledge etc. If you want to take it up start with flash single player games NOT multi player online games. If you however need help with a server in the event you set one up for a game I would be willing to help but my main advice is it wont work. You are more likely to be able to achieve a large collection of flash games rather than one huge Java game and also people who say runescape has bad graphics take for grated how hard it is to build a game like that, as I'm a busy person I don't play habbo or runescape but I have before and them games are VERY difficult to create. Java is quite hard, programming applications in it isn't impossible as I can do it but games are more difficult to be honest not something I would like to take up myself. Take my advice unless your dream is strongly to be a games designer, just do something a little easier, cheaper and less time consuming for the time being :)

Ini
14-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Opensource you good at flash?

reindeer.
14-02-2007, 10:39 PM
That layout made me sick.

Mr.OSH
15-02-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm OK at flash not brilliant though I know enough but not full action script as I don't use flash as I'm more of a server technician guy :P I know allot of people who are really good at it but Yes I am OK at it.

Ini
15-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Could you create a user system in flash?

Oni
15-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Right look I'm not being mean but you can make a flash game quite easily but look at it there are 100's out on the net. Flash is easy and not many flash games get big. To make a successful game like Runescape or Habbo requires allot of time and effort. To be honest making a game like runescape or habbo is impossible from scratch. If you really want to make a game don't jump in at the deep end and try to create a full Java based game, start very basic in flash and learn Java and get people playing your flash games etc. Remember this is a full time thing that you have to put allot of work into 9/10 it wont work and further more you need a large team of experienced people to make a big game you need programmers to design and build the game and not just one person you need artists to design the graphics and you need support staff, website designers, server managers and the list goes on. Overall it isn't worth while unless you have a fair amount of funds allot of Friends who all are interested with a decent amount of knowledge etc. If you want to take it up start with flash single player games NOT multi player online games. If you however need help with a server in the event you set one up for a game I would be willing to help but my main advice is it wont work. You are more likely to be able to achieve a large collection of flash games rather than one huge Java game and also people who say runescape has bad graphics take for grated how hard it is to build a game like that, as I'm a busy person I don't play habbo or runescape but I have before and them games are VERY difficult to create. Java is quite hard, programming applications in it isn't impossible as I can do it but games are more difficult to be honest not something I would like to take up myself. Take my advice unless your dream is strongly to be a games designer, just do something a little easier, cheaper and less time consuming for the time being :)
Flash has server capabilities and can easily be manipulated into an online game. A prime example of this was cowtoon [no more] or http://www.theoworlds.com/avatar/. Obviously i couldnt create something like that but i do know how to create one so it includes chat, walking around [non isometric] and attacking and stuff.

Mentor
15-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Mmmmm its actually extremely easy to do in flash so easy that if you couldnt be bothered to code it you can even download the files you need free. I myself have already coded one using a book but it needs a server to connect too.

The majority of the reason for creating the dhtml/ajax based isometric virtual avatar chat system, was primary because, to my knowledge, its never been done before. Personally i have no interest in actually running one.

plus java aint that bad o.0

Oni
15-02-2007, 09:26 PM
The majority of the reason for creating the dhtml/ajax based isometric virtual avatar chat system, was primary because, to my knowledge, its never been done before. Personally i have no interest in actually running one.

plus java aint that bad o.0
Neither would i but i suspect you could make alot of money selling it off.

Mentor
15-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Neither would i but i suspect you could make alot of money selling it off.

Possible, although as a browser based app, and due to the way, im planning to structure it, at least in theory, it would be very easy rip (the processing would mainly be done via the javascript on the client computer, so as to reduce the need for a particaly powerful host machine.) So maybe attempting to start it up as an open source effort, or possibly at least under a creative commons type license is more likely.. plus it means i could more easy perswade some to provide sine half decent pixel art for it in the later stages, as the original design currently features nets green box's with arrows on em, and pixel art aint my think...Im actually quite looking forward to starting this project now in fact, just need to lump some C/W out the way.. Documenting programs is far less interesting than writeing em...

Oni
15-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Possible, although as a browser based app, and due to the way, im planning to structure it, at least in theory, it would be very easy rip (the processing would mainly be done via the javascript on the client computer, so as to reduce the need for a particaly powerful host machine.) So maybe attempting to start it up as an open source effort, or possibly at least under a creative commons type license is more likely.. plus it means i could more easy perswade some to provide sine half decent pixel art for it in the later stages, as the original design currently features nets green box's with arrows on em, and pixel art aint my think...Im actually quite looking forward to starting this project now in fact, just need to lump some C/W out the way.. Documenting programs is far less interesting than writeing em...
I would do a flash one if i had a server but alas I do not and its probably a good thing as im supposed to be doing my english CW right now.

:Edzy
15-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I would do a flash one if i had a server but alas I do not and its probably a good thing as im supposed to be doing my english CW right now.

Lol Jango

Oni
15-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Lol Jango
lol
Is the domain still valid?

Mr.OSH
15-02-2007, 11:59 PM
I have tried building user systems and its hard... I could try but I'm not the best person to ask try asking someone who is better at flash ;)

SUPERchips
16-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Will it be violent? Friendly? Have levels? -- Good graphics. When do you plan to start it :))

Answer as slowly as you want.

A4AOwen
16-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I seriously doubt you will make a game, but good luck :)

alexxxxx
16-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Use the Konfuze/Elysium engine. >_>

Recursion
16-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Youll never do it, give up now but good luck anyway.

brandon
16-02-2007, 08:57 AM
He has given up, read...and anyway this thread is old.

Ini
16-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I have tried building user systems and its hard... I could try but I'm not the best person to ask try asking someone who is better at flash ;)

I bet some of the best would do exactly what you could do and want loads for it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!