PDA

View Full Version : Labour Beaten over New Nuclear Generation

-:Undertaker:-
15-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Green Peace have won the Government in a court battle over the plans to build a new Nuclear Generation of power plants to meet the UK's growing need for energy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6364281.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6364281.stm)

Personally I think Nuclear is the best as we won't have to rely on Russia for our Gas and Oil in the future.

Green Peace has to put their foot in it :rolleyes:

Dan2nd
15-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Personally I think Nuclear is the best as we won't have to rely on Russia for our Gas and Oil in the future.

Green Peace has to put their foot in it :rolleyes:

I agree I watched a program ages ago about what could happen in the future. What if terrorists set bombs off in Russia? france will panic and cut off our gas & oil supply and we will have no power we're gunna be totally powerless -:P

Browney
15-02-2007, 02:51 PM
I agree I watched a program ages ago about what could happen in the future. What if terrorists set bombs off in Russia? france will panic and cut off our gas & oil supply and we will have no power we're gunna be totally powerless -:P

Thats a major concern at the moment.

Ezzie.
15-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah but if the terrorists attacked a nuculer power station? i know they're tough as anything (they can withstand a boeing 747 charging into it)

but i'm sure a well placed bomb would be catastrophic

Browney
15-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah but if the terrorists attacked a nuculer power station? i know they're tough as anything (they can withstand a boeing 747 charging into it)

but i'm sure a well placed bomb would be catastrophic

Good point. But a benefit is if one station breaks it shares another. Rather than if a gas line breaks then countries are without power.

Oh you mean natural consequences... I suppose that would be horiible. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Seacat
15-02-2007, 10:29 PM
They haven't really won anything, just made it so the Government have to spend more time consulting people about the inevitable (getting nuclear power).

It's the only way we're gonner meet energy demands for the future. The greenpeace do-gooders come up with these great ideas about how we should build a million wind turbines and attach solar panels to everyones' roofs, but the fact is that it isn't going to be enough and we need nuclear power.

There are security issues with nuclear power but I'm sure there will be ways that these can be looked after, just like nuclear submarines are. Other countries that have them don't seem to have any problems.

People refer to the Chernobyl disaster saying that the same could happen, but things have advanced since then and lessons have been learnt. I think it's time the Govt. stopped wasting time worrying about what these greenpeace pepole will do and just get on with building the power stations before electicity and gas prices get so high that no one can afford to use it anyway.

Out of interest, does anyone know how the greenpeace lawyers and other people involved got to Court? I'm willing to bet they didn't walk or use public transport.

F32
16-02-2007, 01:56 PM
So, our politicians have come to their senses, or their pockets?

Ezzie.
16-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Good point. But a benefit is if one station breaks it shares another. Rather than if a gas line breaks then countries are without power.

Oh you mean natural consequences... I suppose that would be horiible. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Natural/economically speaking ye :p

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!