PDA

View Full Version : Prince Harry will serve in Iraq.

superstreak
22-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Prince Harry's regiment is to be sent to Iraq for a six-month tour of duty, defence officials have confirmed

Harry would carry out "a normal troop commander's role" serving with his Blues and Royals regiment, they said.
The prince was praised by Prime Minister Tony Blair as a "brave and determined young man" with "a very special character".
He will be the first senior royal to serve on the front line since Prince Andrew in the Falklands in 1982.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

This will involve "leading a troop of 12 men in four Scimitar armoured reconnaissance vehicles, each with a crew of three" from the regiment's "A squadron", a joint statement from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and Clarence House said.
"The decision to deploy him has been a military one, made by Chief of General Staff, Gen Sir Richard Dannatt, in conjunction with Cornet Wales' commanding officer," it added.
"The Royal household has been consulted throughout."
Further details of exactly where Harry, 22, would serve, or his specific role, would not be released because such a move would be "potentially dangerous", the statement added.
Speaking in an interview with the BBC on Thursday night, Mr Blair said Harry's determination to serve in Iraq was "very typical of him".
"He's a brave young man and he's a very determined young man who wants to be part of his regiment and part of the Army," he said.
"I think that shows a very special character on his part."
Sandhurst graduation
A Blues and Royals source said Harry, who has long expressed his determination to see front-line action, was "over the moon" at the deployment.
Last year, the prince said: "There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my **** back home while my boys are out fighting for their country."

In a written statement to MPs, Defence Secretary Des Browne said two squadrons from Harry's Household Cavalry Regiment would be deployed with the rotation of troops to take place in May and June.
The lead formation of British troops, currently 19 Light Brigade, would be replaced by 1 Mechanised Brigade, supported by Prince's Harry's regiment, the statement added.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

Prince Harry graduated from Sandhurst in April last year and qualified as an armoured reconnaissance troop leader in October.
His rank of Cornet is used by a small number of cavalry units including the Blues and Royals and is the equivalent of the more usual rank of 2nd Lieutenant.
Known to colleagues as Troop Commander Wales, he is able to lead reconnaissance units known as the Army's "eyes and ears".
Confirmation of the deployment comes after Prime Minister Tony Blair told MPs that 1,600 British troops would return from Iraq within the next few months.
He said the 7,100 serving troops in the south of Iraq around Basra would be cut to 5,500 soon, with hopes that 500 more will leave by late summer. Prince Andrew, Harry's uncle, was a helicopter pilot in the Falklands conflict.

What are your views on this?

Farm
22-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Well.. my view is it's ok because it's his choice if he wants to go into Iraq. He's going to be protected very very well so most likely nothing bad will happen. It's just a bit sad like my parents said that we first saw him on tv as a little boy then becoming a teenager losing his mum and all that. He's had a hard life and I tell you if anything bad happened it wouldn't be good on the royal family.
Thats my view :)

But look on the BRIGHT ill bet he'll will fine :D

-Soph-
23-02-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm split on this decision,
Yes I agree he should go, and not be treated any differently, but on the other hand, hes going to be a huge target and a risk to others around him.

DiscoPat
23-02-2007, 05:51 PM
bad move

Kieeran
23-02-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm split on this decision,
Yes I agree he should go, and not be treated any differently, but on the other hand, hes going to be a huge target and a risk to others around him.

ditto :s

Browney
23-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok well, we have nothing to gain if he goes, but alot to lose.

Kardan
23-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm against it to be honest...
They know that Harry will be in a certain area, so they'll be more attacks, Harry getting killed would be a massive blow to our country and it's probably what the insurgeons want.

Browney
23-02-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm against it to be honest...
They know that Harry will be in a certain area, so they'll be more attacks, Harry getting killed would be a massive blow to our country and it's probably what the insurgeons want.

My parents compared the 3rd in-line to the throne dying as worse than 9/11

I suppose they meant in importance not in the level of tragedy.

Chickenblob
23-02-2007, 06:04 PM
They say that Harry will be treated like a normal soldier, well thats just a load of rubbish. He'll be well protected, they are not going to let a member of the royal family go on the frontline.

I'm totally against it because he will be a main target, the enemy will know hes fighting in the war and will do their best to kill him. They know that our country will be devistated if this happens so they will put him as a most wanted target. This is an accident just waiting to happen..

-:Undertaker:-
24-02-2007, 07:08 PM
No one should have been over there in the first place.

Harry shouldn't go as it will endanger those around him.

dirrty
24-02-2007, 07:09 PM
hes so going to be targeted.

T3200
24-02-2007, 10:07 PM
I think he should. He is in the Royal Family, but if he really loves his country as much as he says he does, He would serve. I dont see the big fuss over it..

-Soph-
27-02-2007, 05:33 AM
I think he should. He is in the Royal Family, but if he really loves his country as much as he says he does, He would serve. I dont see the big fuss over it..

the big fuss is that hes gunna be a huge target and probably get a load of people killed including himself

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!