PDA

View Full Version : "... + rep!!" threads

Carlos
27-02-2007, 03:35 PM
I feel that there should be a rule put in place regarding threads that have "... + rep!!" in the title.

It encourages some users to post anything they can come up with just so they get repped.

benjamin
27-02-2007, 03:41 PM
well the thread maker will only rep people who he or she thinks has helped, surely?

Catzsy
27-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Agree with Flicker on this. If someone does help and the help is appreciated then the +rep is deserved.

Caution
27-02-2007, 03:46 PM
what ben and rosie said, they only get repped for helping.. it's deserved.

Charlie
27-02-2007, 03:55 PM
If the thread starter is just going to pointless rep people, then of course they'd stop it, but if they're going to rep people who actually helped, then it's not a problem.

Carlos
27-02-2007, 04:05 PM
So you're encouraging spam?

benjamin
27-02-2007, 04:06 PM
how the hell do +rep threads encourage spam?

jesus christ, it's a forum, chill out.

giving reputation is giving other users more of a reason to help you. i always do it because i get more replys.

Caution
27-02-2007, 04:10 PM
how's it encouraging spam? :l

as ben said, you get more replies if people know theres rep going..

Carlos
27-02-2007, 04:15 PM
as ben said, you get more replies if people know theres rep going..

Exactly. Most of which will be spam.

Carlos
27-02-2007, 04:16 PM
how the hell do +rep threads encourage spam?

jesus christ, it's a forum, chill out.

giving reputation is giving other users more of a reason to help you. i always do it because i get more replys.

I think you're the one who needs to "chill out". I'm just merely stating what my thoughts on the issue are.

Edited by Garion (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not double post, thanks :).

Nixt
27-02-2007, 04:20 PM

If there are a high number of posts in a thread, it does not mean that the thread has large amount of spam posts. Offering +Rep encourages those who can help, to help; as often people won't take the time to do something unless they are offered a little incentive.

jackass
27-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Rep is supposed to be for helping someone out with something. So there shouldn't be a rule in my eyes. And calm down Carlos, you overeacting a bit.

cocaine
27-02-2007, 04:23 PM

LOL AT YOU.

so someone has a legit problem, and they post "help.. +REP".

how the hell is that spam?

Carlos
27-02-2007, 04:25 PM
LOL AT YOU.

so someone has a legit problem, and they post "help.. +REP".

how the hell is that spam?

I think you need to re-read the posts before posting childish remarks.

cocaine
27-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I think you need to re-read my post before posting childish remarks.

yes, so that people post in threads to help and to get rep..

called an incentive.

but if people spam there then they're not going to get rep are they?

and watch who you're calling childish.

Nixt
27-02-2007, 04:29 PM
I think you need to re-read my post before posting childish remarks.

May I also add that a lot of threads offering +Rep are for things like referral links and are therefore found in spam anyway. Other threads offering +Rep, like a thread I created a while ago (here (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=280407&highlight=microphone)), are in a Forum applicable to the subject they are asking about and you will see the posts are genuine attempts to help the individual who created the thread.
I encourage you to report any pointless posts in a thread that are obviously aimed at gaining +Rep and make no attempt to help the user. I really don't see the problem with the threads though, to be honest.

Carlos
27-02-2007, 04:34 PM
but if people spam there then they're not going to get rep are they?

Which results in a thread congested with replys becoming anything but helpful.

I really don't see the problem with the threads though, to be honest.

Fair enough, I can see this thread will be going nowhere. Was worth a discussion though, apart from the kids who reply with an immature attitude.

Please lock this thread, thank you.

Nixt
27-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Fair enough, I can see this thread will be going nowhere. Was worth a discussion though, apart from the kids who reply with an immature attitude.

Please lock this thread, thank you.

Of course the idea may still be open to discussion, that's just my opinion and I respect yours because I understand we both have different views on these type of threads :).

I am afraid I cannot close the thread on request, as I've said it can still be discussed and the ability to close your own threads is a VIP Feature and therefore closing threads for anyone will be unfair the members who pay for this feature.

Tiuhdur
27-02-2007, 04:45 PM
i agree with flicker

edit: 900th post lucky you

cocaine
27-02-2007, 04:48 PM

you've lost the argument so now you try and start on me :rolleyes:

now; shut up.

Carlos
27-02-2007, 04:49 PM
you've lost the argument so now you try and start on me :rolleyes:

now; shut up.

Nice attitude you have there.

This was a mere discussion, not an "argument".

Catzsy
27-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Yes it was a worthy thread. No reason why you shouldn't query the subject.
Obviously we can agree to disagree without getting upset. Everyone on here is entitled to the views they hold :S

The Professor
27-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Yes it was a worthy thread. No reason why you shouldn't query the subject.
Obviously we can agree to disagree without getting upset. Everyone on here is entitled to the views they hold :S

Agree completely, +rep (how fitting... ;))

I can see your point Carlos but I dont agree. +rep is for good things, a helpful post, a well thought out speech, an alteration etc. Offering +rep is ok, as long as it doesn't say "+rep please return", because that's encouraging pointless rep. I think Garion has pretty much summed it up

e5.
27-02-2007, 05:31 PM
+rep if for a good post, you the instace your saying "helping someone out" if thats a good post they give out +reps. if its offensive they give -reps. It's quite simple. Asking for rep is banned but offering to give it isn't and its find to offer it if its helping you in the mean time, and its them giving out +rep it should be no concern to you?

nvrspk4
28-02-2007, 05:43 AM
I actually do agree with you to an extent. One-click things really aren't worth the rep and are an abuse of the system, however some +rep's (ie, making an image transparent, an avatar, a link they need) might be genuine. Therefore our moderators would go 100% on judgement on whether or not the thread was validly needing help so as to use rep as a "bribe", and the moderator judgement would be HIGHLY contested by the forum users, especially those recieving the infraction. Therefore, since its basically a judgement call, it would be hard to enforce.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!