PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Expanding Tables (My Way)

Kieran
03-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Before anyone says anything, I cant make a new post in the right section for some reason so a made will have to move it.

This is my first tutorial but I hope it helps people out there who don't know what they're doing.

It has images as the steps go along so you can check your doing it right.

Tutorial: http://www.packagehosts.com/tutorials/expanding/

beer
03-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Thats actually pretty good. Must have taken a looooooooong while to do. +rep.

edit: must spread :(

Mentor
03-03-2007, 06:16 PM
You know, sliceing is really a very horrible way to perform this. You could cut it down to 3 steps, make it fully xhtml/css valid and use one hell of alot less code. As well as making it much easyer to do, by actually doing it properly.

Open image in photoshop and trim all extra borders, cut the title image out (including corners(exact edges)) - with no extra baggage. do the same with the bottom. The middle section has no graphics at all, so u can do it with a border and save on the image completely,

Create a div, place 3 divs inside it, top middle, and bottom. Ad a little css, images backgrounds and borders.

Add text.

Youd already be done, its not really worth a tutorial to explain this, and i haven't actually bothered providing the few lines of css needed. "/

but the point is, you've massively complicated a very simple task as well as creating a much crappyer end product from it "/

Also: to my knowledge you actually have to post the tutorial on the forum (whole content) to qualife for the tuts section, not just provide a link to it. Could be wrong here though, duno habbox polcy on it.

Kieran
03-03-2007, 06:24 PM
And what do the people who dont know ANY css do? Hey?!
This!

Thats why i posted it.

Mentor
03-03-2007, 06:26 PM
This!

Thats why i posted it.
use a 3 rowed table instead of 4 divs? or maybe even learn how to create layouts properly and realize how painfully simple css really is "/ (alot more than tables)

F32
03-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Carl, is there any chance you could write up a lil' tutorial on xHTML/CSS coding layouts?

[Oli]
03-03-2007, 06:33 PM
This!

Thats why i posted it.

Umm... hire someone to code it xHtml for them :P

Kieran
03-03-2007, 06:33 PM
YEs, please do

If your so AMAZINGLY good. You waste your time writing a tutorial so people can tell you how pointless it is.

Mentor
03-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Carl, is there any chance you could write up a lil' tutorial on xHTML/CSS coding layouts?

there not really any need form them, theres 1000s of really good, well written, well documented, easy to follow ones out there for people who can be bothered to use google "/ It would take to long for me to write anything useful enough imo to go up with the ones already available "/

YEs, please do

If your so AMAZINGLY good. You waste your time writing a tutorial so people can tell you how pointless it is.
i dont really see any point in wastering my time, its exactly why i never wrote a tutorial on this, theres to many good ones out there already, and alot of the people write them know alot more about constructing css layouts that i do. I write tutorials to help people, hence i write em about things i know about. Personly i think its stupid to write a tutorial on something you yourself cant do properly, maybe get to a state where your at least "ok" at it then maybe, but if your crap at it, definalty not. "/ Thats my Honest opinion, since i personly would rather hear a true opinion that a load of ********, if youd prefer the ********, ignore this and head back in to the matrix.

P.S: the last comment would sound much better if i could remember which pill did what, red or blue, curse my crappy memoery

F32
03-03-2007, 06:37 PM
YEs, please do

Carl is actually quite good.

& Ok - I'll take some time out and learn some day.

Kieran
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I know exactly how to code using slices. Every single layout i code uses slices and expanding tables.

Im so sick of people on this forum lately.

Mentor
03-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I know exactly how to code using slices. Every single layout i code uses slices and expanding tables.

Im so sick of people on this forum lately.
Ive never sliced a layout .. mainly as a result of learning html, not using things like fireworks/photoshop to do it for me. Its a poor way to code, and creates a poor standard of layout.
I updated from table based layouts to css ones for the same reason. I dont really get what your point is though? the only conclusion i can draw is that every layout you code is poorly coded? which doesn't really change my point at all does it?

Sliceing = Bad, imo.

ps. Lately? ive been like this for years?

F32
03-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Ive never sliced a layout .. mainly as a result of learning html, not using things like fireworks/photoshop to do it for me. Its a poor way to code, and creates a poor standard of layout.
I updated from table based layouts to css ones for the same reason. I dont really get what your point is though? the only conclusion i can draw is that every layout you code is poorly coded? which doesn't really change my point at all does it?

Sliceing = Bad, imo.
In practicality, the get parts of the original layout you'd have to slice anyway?

Mentor
03-03-2007, 07:07 PM
In practicality, the get parts of the original layout you'd have to slice anyway?
Useing the word correctly yes, useing it in its buzzword incarnation no. Buzzword is sliceing, where you get a program, draw a few lines, and it generates a page of incomprehensibly bad html tables and produces some poorly cut images.
Properly, as in cutting out an image, then save-as-ing to a directory is fine, and as you said kinda essential. although i usually refer to it simply as cutting out as opposed to slicing which carrys conotations of the program driven layout mangling.

Although this is only when coding other peoples layouts, in my own i dont slice at all, since i dont work from an image based layout, i make my images for the layout, not make a layout for the images, although its just my preference when working rather than haveing any advantages over other ways.

F32
03-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Mhmm true.

Just a contradiction of a word really.

You still have to 'cut' to produce either tabled or xhtml/css expanding layouts either way.

But tables is a bad idea.

Mentor
03-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Mhmm true.

Just a contradiction of a word really.

You still have to 'cut' to produce either tabled or xhtml/css expanding layouts either way.

But tables is a bad idea.

Well in say photoshop, i use the cuting tools, not the slicing ones for example. the two words carry different meanings now days, in the same way gay no long is taken useually to mean happy, although technically still does.

F32
03-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Marquee tools.

I guess, slicing does mean actually selected pieces of an image and exporting them - like everyone does to start off with.

You do make a good point ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!