PDA

View Full Version : Sony answers to Xbox Live

Frodo13.
10-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Not sure if this has ever been posted, but heres a little look at what Sony are calling Home, the answer to Xbox Live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISly4nCpWEk

piddle2k6
10-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Wow im actually considering buying one now.. Unfortunately the console is compltely backward compatible so im not sure + rep if i can :-)

Homesrfan
10-03-2007, 07:28 PM
This is another total rip off.
It's Miis + Second Life.

Sony is sooo unoriginal. I'm sorry, I don't like to sound so fanboyish, but Nintendo needs to call them out on this one (I think Miyamoto already did by calling Mii-too or something).

If anyone buys a PS3 because of the PS Home... that's terrible. Sony lacks any imagination.

GommeInc
10-03-2007, 07:36 PM
It's fascinating, but if I wanted to find friends and so on, I would go straight for them, rather than spend about 30 minutes walking around, getting lost. So I am guessing Xbox is the better one for this?

PaulMacC
10-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm gonna buy a PS3 in May-August. Once they drop.
But now Im nintendo

mangle
10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah my birthday falls in July and im asking for money then so hopefully it'll drop in price :]

Oni
10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Another nintendo rip.... I also agree its a rip of second life. Wow imaginative sony should team up with microsoft as like sony microsoft rips of mac os

DaBears
10-03-2007, 10:18 PM
thats awesome im getting a ps3 anyway but i want it more now

brandon
10-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Looks cool, can't say this will make me buy a PS3 tho for the insane money it costs.

GommeInc
10-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Another nintendo rip.... I also agree its a rip of second life. Wow imaginative sony should team up with microsoft as like sony microsoft rips of mac os
I guess you don't know that Apple "rip" aka steal from other places? The iPod scrolling technology, stolen from Creative, who brought out the first Hard-drive media player known as the Creative Zen. Windows had side bars before Windows 95. Mac OS never had this until now and Windows have just brought it back.

The only thing I disagree with Sony is the PS3. Everything until now was great about the company, but it's a shame the PS3 and in some cases the PS2, just got repetitive and boring.

Azul
10-03-2007, 11:02 PM
I just don't see the appeal to be honest, if I wanted to wander round some rooms and buy furniture i'd play Habbo. I'd rather just sit in a game lobby and meet people.

ZL2.
11-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I dont like it.

Pyroka
11-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Wow it seems more like Sony have answered to MMOCC's like Second life or dare I say it, the popular Sims games, rather than Xbox Live! I definetly wont be buying a PS3 and this has actually encouraged me not to buy one for a child of the future. I'd shoot any parent who even bought their son/daughter this vile piece of "technology". :)

But then I am a bit of a Microsoft/Xbox fanboy so think what you like as my opinion may be biast..

Axel
11-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Oh ye, a total Nintendo rip :S

Mii's are nothing like that.

Homesrfan
11-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Oh ye, a total Nintendo rip :S

Mii's are nothing like that.
It's that the Miis are exactly like that, it's that ultimately they are the same thing and Nintendo thought of it first, and now Sony wants in.

Nintendo had a great idea with having an avatar system. Sony has stolen the idea and tried to add on to it like they usually do, but it will be a disaster.

Can you say "giant cyber party"?

DaBears
11-03-2007, 03:36 AM
wa wa wa all u people do is cry when someone uses another persons idea. companys use it all the time stop being a bunch of a babys

Homesrfan
11-03-2007, 05:59 AM
wa wa wa all u people do is cry when someone uses another persons idea. companys use it all the time stop being a bunch of a babys
Um, okay, let's continue our intelligent discussion now.

alexxxxx
11-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah my birthday falls in July and im asking for money then so hopefully it'll drop in price :]

don't hold your breath. has the 360 fallen in price since its launch date? no.

Axel
11-03-2007, 09:05 AM
You could say Nintendo ripped it off some company, and that company ripped it offf another company, etc. Most things these days are unoriginal. Everytime you see a new car advert on TV, do you think to yourself 'omg that's terrible, so and so made the first care like 80 years ago'?

alexxxxx
11-03-2007, 09:09 AM
You could say Nintendo ripped it off some company, and that company ripped it offf another company, etc. Most things these days are unoriginal. Everytime you see a new car advert on TV, do you think to yourself 'omg that's terrible, so and so made the first care like 80 years ago'?

cars aren't going to be drasticly different are they? They get you from A to B. It's a transport method. You can't upgrade the 'graphics' on a car can you? You can't be very original about how it works because people wouldn't be quick to accept the new style or whatever.

Don't compare Consoles and Cars.

Oni
11-03-2007, 10:05 AM
No....Lets just say N64 DD

Axel
11-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, but you can upgrade car engines and stuff. Just saying Nintendo wouldn't have been the first to have online avatars, considering there's Habbo, Second Life, stuff like that. And Wii's haven't been that long, I don't think Sony would have bought a Wii, seen Mii's and produced their own copy of it in so little time unless Sony have a spy team.

Oni
11-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, but you can upgrade car engines and stuff. Just saying Nintendo wouldn't have been the first to have online avatars, considering there's Habbo, Second Life, stuff like that. And Wii's haven't been that long, I don't think Sony would have bought a Wii, seen Mii's and produced their own copy of it in so little time unless Sony have a spy team.
Im sure they have and as i said n64 DD [Japan only] had a system like the miis where you put yourself in the games and that was in like 2000

Pyroka
11-03-2007, 12:42 PM
;3257222']Don't compare Consoles and Cars.

Hmm lets see..

- You get ****** off with cars as well as consoles
- Consoles crash and so do cars
- Cars run on engines, games run on engines
- Consoles have lights on and so do cars
- You can chuck a car off a cliff (like you can do to a PS3 ^.^)

They do have quite a bit in common.. :P This idea of avatars is a complete copy of the MMOCC market in my opinion and Sony/Nintendo are in fact, using it for their consoles as they've identified that more people are going on computers to play MMOCCs such as Habbo Hotel & Second Life, leaving their Wiis and PS3s to wither away.

Oni
11-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Hmm lets see..

They do have quite a bit in common.. :P This idea of avatars is a complete copy of the MMOCC market in my opinion and Sony/Nintendo are in fact, using it for their consoles as they've identified that more people are going on computers to play MMOCCs such as Habbo Hotel & Second Life, leaving their Wiis and PS3s to wither away.
As we have said it is a copy of second life but also the wii and their miis if nintendo hadnt done it, niether would sony.

GommeInc
11-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Hmmm, when I last noticed, you don't actually have to buy a product off another company to understand how it works. You can be told a concept of something like this, and design your own. If Sony did copy, which I'm not sure about, they don't need to buy, or even see Miis in action. They could just hear from somewhere that Nintendo have an avatar feature.

Apple probably did this with Creative when they stole the Zen technology for scrolling.

Oni
11-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Hmmm, when I last noticed, you don't actually have to buy a product off another company to understand how it works. You can be told a concept of something like this, and design your own. If Sony did copy, which I'm not sure about, they don't need to buy, or even see Miis in action. They could just hear from somewhere that Nintendo have an avatar feature.

Apple probably did this with Creative when they stole the Zen technology for scrolling.
True but i bet sony have a fair few wiis for research.

alexxxxx
11-03-2007, 03:03 PM
True but i bet sony have a fair few wiis for research.

&360s.

TFerg006
11-03-2007, 03:29 PM
May Get one, not to sure, probably not at that rediculous price tbh.

I like the Wii and 360. TBH Id rather have 2 Consoles rather than 1 **** one.

Oni
11-03-2007, 03:55 PM
;3259067']&360s.
Yep, to do their favirote hobby...stealing.

PaulMacC
11-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Posting and reading from my Wii
Wheres sonys web browser
they leave all the simple things out

Oni
11-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Posting and reading from my Wii
Wheres sonys web browser
they leave all the simple things out
I dont even use mine its pointless apart from for flash games then its fun.

brandon
11-03-2007, 05:26 PM
May Get one, not to sure, probably not at that rediculous price tbh.

I like the Wii and 360. TBH Id rather have 2 Consoles rather than 1 **** one.
How is it ****
If it was why are you considering getting one?

Frodo13.
11-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Home is also totally free, unlike Xbox Live which is around £10 subsription I belive?

Oni
11-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Home is also totally free, unlike Xbox Live which is around £10 subsription I belive?
So is wiiconnect24 get over it

Pyroka
11-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Who cares if Xbox Live costs money, at least ours will be running and at least they'll use that money to improve their servers so nyah! :P I bought the 40 quid subscription, thats for a year. Oh and Xbox Live is 5 pound per month ;) It's well worth it but you get a free subscription to download things anyway (Silver Live). Gold is the one to play against people.. which costs money.

Mentor
11-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Bah, its a bit of a joke calling home a rip of second life, there are 1000s of games like that, the graphics are made to look semi-relatistic, as people all look somewhat simlar, all the games make people look somewhat simlar.
Plus who cares, its a great feature and one people will buy in to. Its not the end of the world if it was ripped from else where "/

Barkseh2131
11-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Im buying a PS3 when they come out. That looks good =]

Homesrfan
11-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Bah, its a bit of a joke calling home a rip of second life, there are 1000s of games like that, the graphics are made to look semi-relatistic, as people all look somewhat simlar, all the games make people look somewhat simlar.
Plus who cares, its a great feature and one people will buy in to. Its not the end of the world if it was ripped from else where "/
No, but Sony is beginning to be a problem. They ripped the motion sensing straight from Wii and now this.

Oni
12-03-2007, 04:21 PM
No, but Sony is beginning to be a problem. They ripped the motion sensing straight from Wii and now this.
errr not forgetting dpads, analogue sticks, shoulder buttons, the whole general design of controllers...and much much more

Pyroka
12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
They are the guidelines of traditional consoles so we can't have a go at Sony for that.. They just do copy quite a bit at the present time.

Oni
12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
They are the guidelines of traditional consoles so we can't have a go at Sony for that.. They just do copy quite a bit at the present time.
No, they arent or werent. Nintendo invented all of those. Traditional controllers were joysticks. Nintendo invents everything then its all stolen.

DaBears
12-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Hmm lets see..

were u born stupid

DaBears
12-03-2007, 10:57 PM
;3257222']cars aren't going to be drasticly different are they? They get you from A to B. It's a transport method. You can't upgrade the 'graphics' on a car can you? You can't be very original about how it works because people wouldn't be quick to accept the new style or whatever.

Don't compare Consoles and Cars.
car companies take good ideas from other companies and make them into there car so there better just like console companies do
double post sorry

Misawa
12-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Sony ripped off Nintendo's motion capturing innovation? Hello? The EyeToy called...

Who gives a damn what copies what? At the end of the day, Second Life could be interpreted as a copy of The Sims and so on. Who cares? I mean, I don't see why people complain about XBOX 360 Live and PS3's online capabilities, because at the end of the day, gaming on both is the same, so why argue?

It's also funny when the only point people make is about the PS3's pricetag and they make excuses about the console. I have a 360 and an imported PS3, the Playstation 3 is the better console, okay? Get over it please. This argument is never going to end. It sounds like those dedicated Microsoft fanboys can't come to terms that Sony has beaten them in the new generation of console gaming when XBOX was on top against the PS2.

ZL2.
12-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Sony ripped off Nintendo's motion capturing innovation? Hello? The EyeToy called...

Who gives a damn what copies what? At the end of the day, Second Life could be interpreted as a copy of The Sims and so on. Who cares? I mean, I don't see why people complain about XBOX 360 Live and PS3's online capabilities, because at the end of the day, gaming on both is the same, so why argue?

It's also funny when the only point people make is about the PS3's pricetag and they make excuses about the console. I have a 360 and an imported PS3, the Playstation 3 is the better console, okay? Get over it please. This argument is never going to end. It sounds like those dedicated Microsoft fanboys can't come to terms that Sony has beaten them in the new generation of console gaming when XBOX was on top against the PS2.
Care to give a reason why the PS3 is better than the xbox rather than just saying "it's better, okay" and please, spare yourself and don't say Blu-ray and the graphics.

GommeInc
12-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Why do people think the EyeToy and Wii-mote are the same :rolleyes: Why can't people look into a situation rather thinking anything interactive with a player is the same.

Eye Toy requires nothing, other than a camera. With the Wii-mote, you need a remote. The major difference. The camera picks up the movements you have with a certain distance to the camera. The Wii-mote is also different to this. You can play with the Wii-mote at any distance provided you are standing about 1-2 metres away from the sensor bar. Also, the wii-mote takes motion you have as a player from the sensor bar, while the camera picks up the movement and relates them to what is on screen.

The PS3 Controller is more similar to the Wii-mote, than the EyeToy :rolleyes:

PaulMacC
12-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Why do people think the EyeToy and Wii-mote are the same :rolleyes: Why can't people look into a situation rather thinking anything interactive with a player is the same.

Eye Toy requires nothing, other than a camera. With the Wii-mote, you need a remote. The major difference. The camera picks up the movements you have with a certain distance to the camera. The Wii-mote is also different to this. You can play yhr Wii-mote at any distance passed about 1-2 metres.

Can you swing an eye-toy and Link swings a sword , Can you push your eye toy forward and send a monkey ball flying ?

An eye toy put's your image in the game.

GommeInc
12-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Which is where the EyeToy and Wii-mote are different. Some people cannot understand this "/

Oni
13-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Sony didnt even invent the eyetoy lol. I had an eyetoy like thing for my pc years before the eyetoy although it was crap..... People can never take that although nintendo doesnt have the best graphics it always has the best ideas. Has anyone also noticed that when the ps1 was out sony fans said graphics didnt matter and so did nintendo fans but as soon as sony graphics got better it suddenly mattered.

Colin-Roberts
13-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Sony didnt even invent the eyetoy lol. I had an eyetoy like thing for my pc years before the eyetoy although it was crap.....
ye there called webcams

Frodo13.
13-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Im curious to why a topic about the PS3s online capabilitys has just turned out into a fanboy argument

Oni
13-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Im curious to why a topic about the PS3s online capabilitys has just turned out into a fanboy argument
Because they ripped yet again. Oh colin I meant one with games like the eyetoy :D.

Josh-H
13-03-2007, 09:27 PM

Because everyone paranoid that they bought the wrong console and therefore think that defending it to a bunch of teenagers will make the world rejoice in world peace!

Frodo13.
13-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Because they ripped yet again. Oh colin I meant one with games like the eyetoy :D.

But Sony already had online capability with the PS2 :S

Oni
13-03-2007, 10:22 PM
But Sony already had online capability with the PS2 :S
Its not the online concept its well....
Nintendo invents the dpad, sony steals it.
Nintendo invents the shoulder buttons, sony steals it.
Nintendo invents the analogue stick, sony steals it.
Nintendo invents the motion sensor remote, sony steals it [or trys].
Nintendo invents the mii system, sony steals it.
Theres a pattern going on where sony steals everything nintendo invents.

PaulMacC
13-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Your forgetting a few thing's.

Nintendo Uses Wi-Fi on there consoles, Sony also does.
Nintendo Made a light zapper , Sony steals it.
Wireless controllers , Gamecube was the first console to have one ;)

DaBears
13-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Its not the online concept its well....
Nintendo invents the dpad, sony steals it.
Nintendo invents the shoulder buttons, sony steals it.
Nintendo invents the analogue stick, sony steals it.
Nintendo invents the motion sensor remote, sony steals it [or trys].
Nintendo invents the mii system, sony steals it.
Theres a pattern going on where sony steals everything nintendo invents.
what about the other companys that use these features its not only sony moron. thats what business do.

Homesrfan
14-03-2007, 01:18 AM
I also had one of those, and I forgot all about it.
Back then though, my computer was so bad I wouldn't get it running. :P

Pyroka
14-03-2007, 01:50 AM
were u born stupid

I'd ask you the same thing.. but I can easily tell. ;)

This is really becoming a fanboy argument I agree with Frodo but I guess I can come to this conclusion on my opinion, without "ripping" then where the hell will the industry be going? Oh yes, down the bloody pan. New ideas are welcomed and they're introduced on different consoles to give the users of their console the same experience as others, to make it fair really and as enjoyable as possible. It's a shame that this turned into a whole "war of the brands".. Nevermind.

GommeInc
14-03-2007, 10:20 AM
what about the other companys that use these features its not only sony moron. thats what business do.
Because Nintendo was the first company to make a console and Sony followed persuit and is still around. Microsoft is just a company on the side lines in this argument.

In all fairness, I don't really take my notice IF Sony has been copying ideas. They probably only made their own versions just by word of mouth. Afterall, you ca make stuff from only reading or hearing and still make something with similar concepts.

Besides, the PS3's motion sensitivity isn't as powerful or precise as the Wii's.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!