PDA

View Full Version : Runescape

Lestah
13-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Well, anyway, why do people play this game? I once played it, a few years ago, for about 1 and a half years. I got addicted pretty quickly, got up to around level 100 combat, which was a rare sight back then to say the least.

Then.. one day.. I seemed to grow up. Runescape just didn't appeal to me in the least.

It is a game where 95% of game reward requires one thing: TIME.

Not skill, not technique, not intelligence.

You simply have to play the game, for as long as you can, with minimal intelligence, to get good at it.

The graphics are poor, in no department does the game really "excel", but it has a certain essence about it that just hooks you; and I still do not know what it is. I guess it's something to do with that certain buzz you get when you levelled, or gained some cash, or completed a quest.

So, I ask again, why runescape? Why do people love this game so much? Or have those people just not found other games yet?

If you reply to this thread, could you state your age also? I'm just wondering if there's any correlation between younger children and runescape players.

I'm truly sorry if this thread offends anyone, not intended, I do have a genuine query. I stated my opinion above, you don't have to agree with it, and I look forward to see your opinions.

Scriptermone
13-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't just play runescape, I play CS:S, MTA (multi theft auto), garrys mod, fifa 07.

and - I play outside in the real world.

Shrlurp
13-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Im 13 And I Am Quite Grown Up There Are Many Times Were I Think Of Quiting Rs Because I Dont Have Anything To Do On It. But I Guess Its Something To Do. However I Am Not Glued To It.

Ashley 12344
13-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I rarely play currently.

When I do, its something to do while on msn. I play for the thought of making more money out of it pretty much :P
I'm 16.

Sly
13-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Well i no-lifed rs got 99 fishing in like 2 months was terribly bored then i quit shortly after now i never play it cause its so boring i find it too hard to concentrate on and it takes me ages to do anything. I have a good knowledge of runescape though so i still post in the runescape section to help out other users and see my friends .

poll
13-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Well i no-lifed rs got 99 fishing in like 2 months was terribly bored then i quit shortly after now i never play it cause its so boring i find it too hard to concentrate on and it takes me ages to do anything. I have a good knowledge of runescape though so i still post in the runescape section to help out other users and see my friends .

^^ minus the fishing and things iv never really ben hooked i make my cash elsewhere my "Own Ways" iv done it and sold it on made quiet alot of cash about £250 so that the only reason i do really

UDunKnow
13-03-2007, 07:42 PM
I only play when i'm bored, or i need profit for habbo for runescape trades. <3

Buzle
13-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Well, you pretty much said it.
I dont know what it is about the game, its STUPID - it has NO POINT.
But I love it! :]

BTW Im 13

despute
13-03-2007, 08:05 PM
I play World of Warcraft too, like Ashley said, it's something to do while on MSN, when you're bored, when you can't get a group for something on WoW because RuneScape is more solo. That's all. We all have our own opinions, you can't change it.

Ashley 12344
13-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I play World of Warcraft too, like Ashley said, it's something to do while on MSN, when you're bored, when you can't get a group for something on WoW because RuneScape is more solo. That's all. We all have our own opinions, you can't change it.

Are you Phil?

Jackboy
13-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeh its weird...

U also get a sense of acheivment when u kill someone in the wilderness...

And make a good trade..

despute
13-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Yahar. I came back :P

Axel
13-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Tbh Runescape seems do damn boring to me now, it just.... drones. It's like.... let's go get 65 agility! Wait... what's the point?

Slash
13-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I play to talk to a couple people, something to do when on forums, msn, etc. I play fifa when I fish, wc etc.

[Jay]
13-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I mainly play it when im bored and have nothing better to do.....its not bad for a web game and it dose require some intelligents to do quest... complete clues...and more ways which i can not think of atm and also fro some people when they get bored and diced to quit runescape they sell thier money/account for real money so its not really a total waste....
Can i also state that if you find something fun it aint a waste of your life....for example do cleaning or play rs? go to a boring thing? and when your at home and cant go out because its to late there’s nothing to watch or do....
so people may think runescape is boring has bad graphics but what do you expect its a web game not a disc game and its only getting better at graphics.

despute
13-03-2007, 08:11 PM
World of Warcraft is a good game too, but the release of The Burning Crusade has blown my mind completely off the subject of running round with other people killing stuff trying to get money for a bird mount. I got to level 70 and that was it. World of Borecraft. Places at level 60 people actually liked. BC bored us all. That's why I play Runescape.

Sly
13-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Tbh Runescape seems do damn boring to me now, it just.... drones. It's like.... let's go get 65 agility! Wait... what's the point?

I feel exactly the same way :o

Youheard
13-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Runescape isn't as boring as reading the 90th thread with the same topic much like this thread.

I play Runescape because I enjoy it, just like I go out and see my friends because I enjoy it. Why does anyone do anything? Because to some degree they enjoy it or something about it.

despute
13-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I feel exactly the same way :o
But yeah, people always have a reason to get a goal. For a quest, a specific item, or to be on the high scores tbh. Getting anything to 99 is a great achievement.

Axel
13-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Alex pretty much summed it up as always. :D

It's only appealing to certain people, as is everything else in the world.

despute
13-03-2007, 08:17 PM
This is like someone playing Runescape asking people why they play Habbo. Their only ambition is to be HC for 13 months, get as much furni as possible and join a mafia. ***!

[Jay]
13-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Runescape isn't as boring as reading the 90th thread with the same topic much like this thread.

I play Runescape because I enjoy it, just like I go out and see my friends because I enjoy it. Why does anyone do anything? Because to some degree they enjoy it or something about it.

Well said:eusa_clap
This thread can now be closed.

Ashley 12344
13-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Phil go on msn.

Yeah, most people who are full on addicts want the achievements

Lestah
13-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Ah, well in all honesty, I can't quite fully grasp why people find this game so enjoyable. Aside from the game itself, maybe it has something to do with bragging rights? I.E., "I'm level 100, you're level 10!", you know what I mean. Which is a factor in all games, really.

This thread can now be closed.

It can, but it shouldn't. Thanks, anyhow!

despute
13-03-2007, 08:46 PM
That's the bad part about games like Runescape. People walk up to you and go 'noob' On World of Warcraft people are actually nice.

[Jay]
13-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Ah, well in all honesty, I can't quite fully grasp why people find this game so enjoyable. Aside from the game itself, maybe it has something to do with bragging rights? I.E., "I'm level 100, you're level 10!", you know what I mean. Which is a factor in all games, really.

It can, but it shouldn't. Thanks, anyhow!
lol na i was just saying i didnt mean it literary

:ADIO
13-03-2007, 09:59 PM
im 18, and runescape is a drug, its as simple as that. There are two things i cannot quit, runescape and smoking.

It isn't fun, everything is very straightforeward, so whats the point? I ask myself this same question, and the answer is simple.. its addictive. By the time you play, and you are done with it, you are already hooked.

I often compare rs to tobacco companies, its just their business and whatever they make is good.

But there is NO point to games in general, any "skill" you develop is completly useless anyways, so its basicly what you find fun.

Ramones
13-03-2007, 10:17 PM
i'm 15 and share an account with a friend irl, i go to college next year and i hope to quit long before then, i'm going to ask my friend to chnge the password and not tell me. Then hopefully the thought of doing tutorial island will keep me away from the game forever

Middlesbrough
13-03-2007, 10:20 PM
i enjoy runescape for the feeling of achievement i sometimes get like just lately

i killed my real life friend in the duel arena twice that makes me feel like i hve achieved something

Lestah
13-03-2007, 10:34 PM
One point I'd like to add in particular is the fact that runescape is a game where time input is dominant in the make-up of your character.

In reality, a chimp could play it for a few thousand hours and be up there with the big guys.

I remember the duel arena, with obstacles turned on. I'd get out a bow, and run around the obstacles so melee'ers couldn't touch me.
Also, I can't deny some slight intelligence is needed to play the game, but it really is minimal, to the point of "if i spend 50 gold on this, and I make something worth 1 gold with it, it's not good!!!"

But these are the rare times when skill is actually quite important in runescape. The rest? Grind, Grind, Grind. Click, Click, Click.

Of course, you could play like you want, but then you wouldn't get the peer-admiration-bragging-points-im-level-99-im-cool kind of respect that some people crave.

I don't think R.S is really something to be proud of if you're good at it ;)

:ADIO
13-03-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't think R.S is really something to be proud of if you're good at it ;)

Your an idiot if your proud of any game achievement lol.

Lestah
14-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Your an idiot if your proud of any game achievement lol.

Not really :P for instance, say I have a game of chess, barely know the rules but win world championships, it's something to be proud of. But if you're say, level 126 at RS, in all honesty, it shows you may not have, ah, better things to do :P

FroobFisher
14-03-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm 17, I play Runescape and there's no doubt I'm addicted, I've quit many times but the main factor of me still playing I think is because some of the people I've met through it, I still enjoy it and yeah, you're right it is the levels, the good trades, the pking somebody and getting the items.
I've never sold my runescape things for rl items, i never intend to, it's a game and i play for the same reason anyone plays any game basically, it's fun and i enjoy it.

However I think your points are very valid, and think runescapes graphics could do with some .. let's say, tweaking? :P

Brad

I,HELP
14-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Im 14 and i love it im not 100&#37; glued on it but yh i can say i am kinda...

Its the thing like lal the lvls its like your life but you can be anyone u want to be and you can just lvl up and make mony so i think its just the thing of another life on there that makes people stay on it, like if you want to be strong you get att and str etc up but in rl you may not be strong or w.e but its a good game in my top 2 lol but the graphics isnt to good... but there updating it and i still like it.

+ meeting the people on ther is funny some are total ****** and some are realy nice like a lvl 94 said "YOU WILL NEVER!! DO HORROR FROM THE DEEP AT 40 CB" made me want to do it evan more and i did do it :] made me very proud and i play becuase well im addicted :[ but not 100% about 50-80% lol

and THAT is not sumthink to be proud of knowing your addicted to a pixel game.

Born_To_Live
14-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Runescape is Quite addictive i got around 4 Of my friends Hooked on the game..

And im trying to get Un Hooked on it , i will Have to remember there are other things apart from Pixels..

I Know what you mean Runescape has lost its Touch theres no urge for me to play anymore no Enjoyment at all..

Thanks For reading.

I have sold "Some" runescape Items for real life around 300&#163; if i recall, 60&#163; recently

despute
14-03-2007, 05:53 PM
*REMOVED*

Edited by Charles (Forum Moderator): Please don't accuse people of scamming.

Born_To_Live
14-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Great, mite stop you from Growing up.

Test:Tube:Baby
14-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Well, you pretty much said it.
I dont know what it is about the game, its STUPID - it has NO POINT.
But I love it! :]

BTW Im 13

exactly what i was gunna say
i am also 13 :D

despute
14-03-2007, 05:59 PM
What will stop me from growing up? I am grown up -.-

Born_To_Live
14-03-2007, 06:03 PM
What will stop me from growing up? I am grown up -.-

Im sure you are will the spelling

"Nubcaek" :rolleyes:

despute
14-03-2007, 06:04 PM
It's to be spelt that way.. 'noob cake'

Born_To_Live
14-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Look it says

"NubCaek"
Shouldnt it be
"NubCake"

despute
14-03-2007, 06:08 PM
No, it should be Nubcaek.

Neil
14-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm 16, I started playing RS when I was about...13, I played it because all my friends in real did, I wasn't very good at first but I enjoyed to play it, and at first I was pretty good, in about 2 months I was 40 combat, well ahead of a few of the people that got me into the game, over the years I'd always played RS, I was member for the first year and the 2nd and stopped a bit on the 3rd, I played it for so long because I liked to play it, it was fun to go on, it was easy, you could meet all sorts of people and I made alot of friends through Runescape, quite a few that I know in real life now, it's also pretty educational aswell because I learnt quite alot from doing the skills, obviously not HOW to do them but what is required, and about the graphics, I'm sure JaGex CAN do much better but the thing is this is a semi-free 3D browser game, which eats up a hell of a lot of bandwidth as it is, no to mention it being online with hundreds of thousands of people playing at the same time, if the graphics were too good the server wouldn't handle the lag, it would probably eventually become too big to have as a browser game and you'd all lose the free game you love to play on

despute
14-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Actually I was in a mafia when I played Habbo LAWL and the people there played RuneScape too. I had a go and didnt see what all the fuss was about. Then I figured out how to level, and became more and more addicted of killing chickens and picking up feathers to sell. Woot. And that's how I started.

Axel
15-03-2007, 12:32 AM
I have to agree with despute about the Wow thing. Everytime I go onto Runescape the majority of the people I see are asking for free stuff or something like that, or just generally being annoying or rude. On Wow, I've only seen 1 beggar so far and like 4 annoying people...

deagle
15-03-2007, 12:58 AM
I play it cause its a game that you can play endlessy and not run out of things to do.

Other games like diablo. You'll reach the point of godly items. Then you'll nearly for sure win everytime.

For WoW, graphic card sucks, cant get.

For CS, how many times can you shoot people and not slightly get bored?

People who had reached 99 in all skills, souldnt be still playing a whole lot anymore. If they are, something is wrong in their heads.

And all try to remember, Zezima isnt the only person with 99 all.

Edit: I dont boast of my skills as this game is looked down upon in my community. I look down upon it too. For 2 years, I teased the kids who played em and pulled their comp plugs lol.

Those queers were playing it during school hour lunch. What the hell is with that.

Stopped now cause I play it, but I keep it secret.

Viruz
15-03-2007, 08:32 AM
I play runescape and im 16 i live in the country where there is nothing to do and i have no friends that live near me,but stilli enjoy it its fun and always something new to do.

crans
15-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I like dark ages games, dunno why.

I play AOE2 and AOE3 now and then too :o

micky.blue.eyes
15-03-2007, 03:38 PM
I like dark ages games, dunno why.

I play AOE2 and AOE3 now and then too :o

Me too lol. I only play AOE3 once in a while though.

Mapled, I think most of the stuff you just said is rubbish.

If you get 126 cmb on runescape I think you can be proud of yourself, it showed that you had a lot of patience (which many people lack) and you got a level not many people get before they stop playing.

Runescape isn't a waste of time, if you enjoy playing a game then it's not a waste of time. Watching movies, tv, playing other games (pc and non-electronic games), reading magazines and many other things made to entertain people are not a waste of time, even though people like you think some of them are because you don't enjoy doing them.

You might think there is no point in playing runescape, but lots of things in life have no point. You could even think that life has no point because what ever you do, you die anyway. I'm sure some things you do have no point, but you do them anyway because you probably enjoy it.

I like playing runescape and I've met great people because of it, doing pointless things can be quite relaxing and amusing. There are also many funny conversations between people on runescape (and in the IRC).

That's my opinion. -.-'

Youheard
15-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Me too lol. I only play AOE3 once in a while though.

Mapled, I think most of the stuff you just said is rubbish.

If you get 126 cmb on runescape I think you can be proud of yourself, it showed that you had a lot of patience (which many people lack) and you got a level not many people get before they stop playing.

Runescape isn't a waste of time, if you enjoy playing a game then it's not a waste of time. Watching movies, tv, playing other games (pc and non-electronic games), reading magazines and many other things made to entertain people are not a waste of time, even though people like you think some of them are because you don't enjoy doing them.

You might think there is no point in playing runescape, but lots of things in life have no point. You could even think that life has no point because what ever you do, you die anyway. I'm sure some things you do have no point, but you do them anyway because you probably enjoy it.

I like playing runescape and I've met great people because of it, doing pointless things can be quite relaxing and amusing. There are also many funny conversations between people on runescape (and in the IRC).

That's my opinion. -.-'

Well said Micky :D I hope I'm like the greatest person you've met through Runescape.

It all depends on your opinion in the end, if you don't enjoy doing something you don't do it, the same will happen to me and every other Runescape player as soon as I/we no longer enjoy playing.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!