PDA

View Full Version : Should Britain transfer to the Euro? - [Closes 14/04/07]

---MAD---
14-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Many people in the UK and in the rest of the world think Britain should keep the pound simply because it is the most powerful currency in the world (most expensive ratio wise). Some people want to keep it as they want to be unique but what do you think? Should they transfer? Or should they keep the Pounds?

Start debating ;).

brandon
14-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Britain should stay with the pound, nice and easy and there wont be any currency confusion.

OmgitsAmanda
14-03-2007, 07:51 PM
No, we should not change to the euro.. there is no reason to were fine with the currency we use now, basically I see nothing wrong with the pound sterling currency and should be kept as it is.

Browney
14-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Keep it. In my opinion the pound coin is a cultural symbol. It's like losing fish and chips.

Papershop
14-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Britain is proud of the pound. I highly doubt they will change, unless tony blair is replaced with an even stupider pm

Azul
14-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Keep it. In my opinion the pound coin is a cultural symbol. It's like losing fish and chips.

my thoughts exactly. ^

Thrilled.
14-03-2007, 08:03 PM
none of you have a clue about the economic impact the change would have so who cares?

Mentor
14-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Im fully for the pound. Haveing an independent currency means we have full control of are economy and can easy adjust the currency to make it perfect for groth in this country.
If we went to the euro, which also caters for many other country's all with there own individual needs, it has to be a compromise between everyone, aka every country on the euro looses out? why in the world would anyone want that o.0

Secondly, yea it means we can trade more easly with Europe, but 85% of all our trading is NOT done with Europe, and by entering Europe more fully we just have to abide by more and more regulations that make us less competative in the markets we actualy trade in, again not a great move.

Thridy, the euro is unproven, its still new, the pound is already established as a good solid currency.

fourthly, pretty much every country in the EU has suffered from the euro economically, not the best sales pitch.

Browney
14-03-2007, 08:07 PM
none of you have a clue about the economic impact the change would have so who cares?

Obviously not us then.

GommeInc
14-03-2007, 08:17 PM
I am for the pound. Which have control over our own economic structure and is a trademark of this country. When Americans come round, they love the pound!

Energizer
14-03-2007, 10:22 PM
i think we should stick with the pound, changin to the euro would probs be confusing.

Ramones
14-03-2007, 11:11 PM
i think we should change to euros, yeah it will be confusing to start with but not impossible things will still be priced in pounds with euros aswell for the first few years and you'd graduallly get used to it. It seems like we're one of the only countries in the EU that aren't willing to change. I'd like to see some proof that the economy has been damaged in countries that have switched to the euro. And LOL that guy who said
'we have full control of are economy and can easy adjust the currency to make it perfect for groth in this country'
What you chattin foo' stop pretending you know what you're talking about

Tomm
15-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Pound, because I know how much £1 will get me (If you get what I mean) and if we switch to euros how am I suppost to know if I am getting a good deal or not..

Plus I cba changing all my money in xD

Luckyrare
15-03-2007, 09:10 AM
No not at all, sterling is a strong currency and it allows us to support our economics by our self, less determined by Europe. Plus currently the pound is very strong against the dollar, allowing us to get bargains :p Also it would also cost a lot to change.

@Ramones: It’s obvious you don’t know how the markets and currency work. If the euro had hyperinflation, every country using the euro would be damaged badly. As it’s a European currency with the same value, it would be very hard to stabilize it. If it happened to the pound it would be much less harder to fix. Plus the Guardian has many articles on their site about the euro; most of them negative.

Papershop
15-03-2007, 12:27 PM
No not at all, sterling is a strong currency and it allows us to support our economics by our self, less determined by Europe. Plus currently the pound is very strong against the dollar, allowing us to get bargains :p Also it would also cost a lot to change.

@Ramones: It’s obvious you don’t know how the markets and currency work. If the euro had hyperinflation, every country using the euro would be damaged badly. As it’s a European currency with the same value, it would be very hard to stabilize it. If it happened to the pound it would be much less harder to fix. Plus the Guardian has many articles on their site about the euro; most of them negative.
Bargains in england Pfft i doubt it, njearly everything is highly taxxed apart from like 1p jellies, WHCIH R CTUALLY 1p

benjamin
15-03-2007, 12:28 PM
change to the euro

basically because i like change x]

TwoFooted
15-03-2007, 12:28 PM
The whole world should use the same coins :D
It would be much easyier....

:Hazel
15-03-2007, 12:29 PM
nah keep the pound, it would only cause mass confusion in the long run.

PenguinFluid
15-03-2007, 12:44 PM

AMEN to that

Browney
15-03-2007, 04:05 PM

It would also remove a country's individuality.

Fonejacker
15-03-2007, 04:09 PM
we will join the euro but proberly 2010 lol

alexxxxx
15-03-2007, 04:13 PM
It's not really a question of if it's when.

Oni
15-03-2007, 04:24 PM
;3274744']It's not really a question of if it's when.
Probably but not necissarily.

No, why should we all be the same? It makes us individual even if it is less practical infact im not really sure if it is. If I go to another county I can withdraw my money out of my bank there so it will change anyway.

Also you cant just print out more money otherwise we will get hyperinflation like germany did after WWI. 400DM was $1 then a few years later 130,000 Million DM was $1 destroying savings and making most people poor.

Mentor
15-03-2007, 08:36 PM
i think we should change to euros, yeah it will be confusing to start with but not impossible things will still be priced in pounds with euros aswell for the first few years and you'd graduallly get used to it. It seems like we're one of the only countries in the EU that aren't willing to change.
Tbh thats exsactly what there already doing.

I'd like to see some proof that the economy has been damaged in countries that have switched to the euro.
Wating the news occaonly is a great source of general knowledge, although even the ECB is saying it (European central bank)
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/e91271e8-decc-11d9-92cd-00000e2511c8.html

Im guessing they have some idea on what there on about

And LOL that guy who said
'we have full control of are economy and can easy adjust the currency to make it perfect for groth in this country'
What you chattin foo' stop pretending you know what you're talking about
Whos pretending? all im pointing out is some massively simplistic economics? which is all pretty obvious and is genral knowlage to a great deal of people? I quite like to know whats going on in the world myself, so staying up to date on this stuff is somthing i take time to do, unluckly to few do these days which is why the idiot vote (the people who just vote for the people they always vote for, regaudless of policys) is keeping the popularty contest goverments in power, when was the last time, conservitive or labor actualy demonstated a clear policy on anything. There almost identical these days, who can appear more green, The govement needs a shake up pretty desperatly imo.

I can offer a great deal more reasons against joining on to eurpe at all, its eurpes fault we have identity cards comeing in for one, simply becuse eurpoe has no imgration rules between the countarys. For most of eurpoe this makes no difference, they all have identity cards so its easy to know whos who. The UK doesnt, its in the magnacarta, its one of our most basic rights not to need to prove our identitys, its an intergal part of the court proccess. This if we continue will be gone :(

;3274744']It's not really a question of if it's when.

If the euro collapses, im guessing we wont be moveing to it. So the if is still a big factor here. Plus dispite the goverment thinking people are completely stupid, no everyone is, this is still a democrasy (ish) and im certainly note gona vote posativly in any refrandum on the subject.

Kaixx
18-03-2007, 01:27 AM
I don't think we should change to euros. It's pointless. Just stay with pounds, it's been like this for ages, and I don't see any point in changing it. It's not worth the bother.

Chili
18-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Personally i think it shoulld stay.

:Liam
22-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Stay with the pound! That way people wont get confused. We should stay independent.

NekkLe
22-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Keep it, everyones happy with it. It isn't effecting anyone, immigrants come here, work hard for there money and are happy with the money they get because its almost double when they convert it depending on where they come from.

We don't want to all jump in the bandwagon now.

Internet
23-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I live in Spain and I miss pounds :( Lol, keep the pound in the UK, it's better than the euro.

Hett
24-03-2007, 10:19 AM
I think definatly not, we don't need the euro and the pound is what we need to keep Britain British, which it is clearly not anymore with all this American influence and how British words are slowly beeing forgotten. For example I must have heard about twenty people say Trash, Sidewalk, Awsome etc.

@xP
24-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Britain should stay with the pound, nice and easy and there wont be any currency confusion.

i totally agree ;)

It's easier and we have been using it for ages.. So everyone is used to it and knows what they are doing with the pound.

DiscoPat
24-03-2007, 02:08 PM
pound ftw

Browney
24-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I think definatly not, we don't need the euro and the pound is what we need to keep Britain British, which it is clearly not anymore with all this American influence and how British words are slowly beeing forgotten. For example I must have heard about twenty people say Trash, Sidewalk, Awsome etc.

Awesome isn't american although the americans use it alot. Which is a bit of a sterotype.

Jordie
24-03-2007, 04:27 PM
nooo euros too complitated, stick with the pound:P

spiderpan
24-03-2007, 06:07 PM
i realy think we should as it just makes the whole of eu easyer it just makes us look stuben i realy think we should move over so every1 can under stand prices and no need to change money in the EU

Immenseman
27-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I think we should stick with the pound, it's just so much easier and I reckon people would get ripped off with the currency confusion.

GJay
28-03-2007, 12:38 AM
The pound sterling must stay with us.

It's the only part of Great Britain that keeps our identity. I don't want to be part of a colony known as the Euro. I want to remain British not part of a huge get together.

If there is a vote, I'm voting against the Euro.

Boo-
28-03-2007, 10:10 AM
No, it will become to confusing to change my brain wont be able to handle it ;]

... and I agree with what others said, its part of Britain that keeps us different!

Browney
28-03-2007, 11:02 AM
I stick by what I said earlier, no. It seems a no brainer to keep our traditions.

-:Undertaker:-
28-03-2007, 03:52 PM
No.

The EU is pathetic and Britain is treated like dirt in it, the French will go against anything for Britain.

We should just leave the EU we don't benefit from it at all.

-Soph-
01-04-2007, 03:24 AM
no, theres no reason to change it.

rh4u
01-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Britain is proud of the pound. I highly doubt they will change, unless tony blair is replaced with an even stupider pm
huuu??:s :s :s :s :s
stupider than TB? naaaa
cant happen ;)

Mentor
01-04-2007, 07:11 PM
huuu??:s :s :s :s :s
stupider than TB? naaaa
cant happen ;)
Sure it can, just look to the US, they have Bush!

Frodo13.
01-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I dont think so. The £ is a trademark of Britain and if we turn to Euro, then we will be like everyone else! The only thing it will help with, financially is with trading with other countries, as money would not need to be converted.

Mentor
01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I dont think so. The £ is a trademark of Britain and if we turn to Euro, then we will be like everyone else! The only thing it will help with, financially is with trading with other countries, as money would not need to be converted.
Not necessarily, since it would only help when trading within Europe, trading with country's outside of europe (which 85% of all britains trading is) would still require the conversion, except the money charged for this serves wouldnt be just getting pumped back in to the UK's economy, but instead off in to europe to subsidize French farmers or something like that.

Jazza
01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Defainately not, when we changed to sterling prices shot up everywhere becasue people didn't learn the exchange rate, we would all lose lots of money. Plus £ looks better than €.

Ashhizzle
01-04-2007, 09:39 PM
no, theres no reason to change it.
What soph sed

alexxxxx
02-04-2007, 10:23 AM
I think we should tbh. I'm pro-european. Otherwise we'll be englufled by the americans.

xxMATTGxx
02-04-2007, 10:53 AM
We should keep the british pound, everyone has got used to it now and there's no point in changing it to the euro.

Eamonn
02-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I hope not, euros are suckage, they just go so quick, its like they disappear, pound ftw.

Ed.
02-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Britain should stick with the Pound.. It shows that we are independant and even though we are a part of the E.U we dont need the same currency!

Shadow16
02-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I think we should just stick to the pound and stay using the pound. Because if we change to the Euro it'll just cause confusion ^^

Mr.OSH
06-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Nope as when most countries changed they didn't convert all their prices properly so people now pay more for things than they should. :)

HabboIsKrouts
14-04-2007, 03:45 PM
As we are the most powerful country in europe it would help europe alot if we joined the euro, smaller countires in europe still not to change to the euro would join the bandwagon if we did, but fgs DO NOT CHANGE TO THE EURO, its like monolpoly money, i hate it, would ruin our economy totally, Pound ftw.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!