PDA

View Full Version : Naming Scammers Campaign

Cwmbran
17-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Ok so some of you may think this is pointless and rather stupid, but I believe that naming scammers is good for the forum community.

So lets get to the point,
Well one night I was rather bored and slightly drunk I decided to make my own version of the Anti-Infraction campaign... Yes the title is the campaign, well done. This is rather like the Anti-Infraction campaign where you have a little "symbol" in your signature to represent the campaign and too show that you support it.

So here is the "Symbol"
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/Bisto112/Namethescammerscampaign.jpg

So if you believe we should name scammers without infractions put the "Symbol" in your signature.

Oh yea I do realise that this is not directly related to Runescape and the acuser should have proof of the acused scamming.
Also, if anyone can make the background transparent... I have tryed countless times but could not make it transparent it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sly
17-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I suport , Im not putting that in my signature though its ugly xoxox.

T0M
17-03-2007, 11:16 PM
I agree scammers should be named, but would be abused :l people saying some1 scams coz they got annoyed with em or if somebody is really sad if they got neg repped :l

But good idea just needs to be worked out

Cwmbran
17-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Ye I forgot to add if the acuser has proof, I'll edit that in now. ;)

UDunKnow
17-03-2007, 11:17 PM
I support! <3

T0M
17-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I would put in sig but as scars said, Aint funky enough :P
Should animate it more and make it look jazzier =)
Goodluck with campaign anyways hope it works out

Cwmbran
17-03-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm rather rubbish with photoshop to put it honestly. :)

deagle
17-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Proof can be faked. Video can be modified. Pics can be modified.

The best thing to do is to PM proof to the people who are trading with the scammer.

Edit: Idea is for good but nothing can be worked out for this to not be abused.

Think about it, its a lot easier to abuse this than to scam someone.

Cwmbran
17-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Proof can be faked. Video can be modified. Pics can be modified.

Edit: Idea is for good but nothing can be worked out for this to not be abused.

Think about it, its a lot easier to abuse this than to scam someone.

Who would spend the time to mod a video/picture just to say... Oh he/she scammed me.
You would be able to see in the pictures and videos that they have been modified.

I agree with your last comments though.

sBosma
17-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I believe we should be able to name scammers.

Were aloud to say 'Trusted', why aren't we aloud to say 'Not-trusted' o.O

It doesn't make any sense.

I support 100&#37;!

deagle
17-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I believe we should be able to name scammers.

Were aloud to say 'Trusted', why aren't we aloud to say 'Not-trusted' o.O

It doesn't make any sense.

I support 100%!

Cause thats either spam (Your neutral), or your saying they are not to be trusted with trades (indicating they scam).

And Cwmbran, if you hate someone, you'll definatly mod it. Say, you hate this newbie who keeps spamming. Wouldnt you do it to make more people hate him?

sBosma
17-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Well then wouldn't saying 'trusted' be spam aswell? People saying trusted should have proof showing they are trusted if people need proof to say their not trusted.

Its the EXCACT same thing except your adding a 'not' infront of 'trusted'. Your just warning everyone that you did a trade with him and it wasn't successful.

Cwmbran
17-03-2007, 11:42 PM
And Cwmbran, if you hate someone, you'll definatly mod it. Say, you hate this newbie who keeps spamming. Wouldnt you do it to make more people hate him?

I my self would not, but some people may.

Alternative "symbol" to put in your sig made by Hoody
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/Bisto112/Naming2.jpg

Ramones
17-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Cause thats either spam (Your neutral), or your saying they are not to be trusted with trades (indicating they scam).

god is somebody abit paranoid about it? I think it's a good idea if there is proof. And if somebody really could be bothered to edit a video i think it would be pretty obvious they had done.

despute
17-03-2007, 11:59 PM
I support. +Rep.

Ashley
18-03-2007, 12:01 AM
I tried to name a scammer, and got permentantly banned, infracted and fired from my job.

So I suggest you just find another way of naming them :) Like I eventually did.

deagle
18-03-2007, 12:03 AM
god is somebody abit paranoid about it? I think it's a good idea if there is proof. And if somebody really could be bothered to edit a video i think it would be pretty obvious they had done.

It all depends if you have expierence with editing videos. If your good, its easy and fast and accurate. I'm also stating what the mods will tell you. Nothing has changed their minds since.

Well then wouldn't saying 'trusted' be spam aswell? People saying trusted should have proof showing they are trusted if people need proof to say their not trusted.

Its the EXCACT same thing except your adding a 'not' infront of 'trusted'. Your just warning everyone that you did a trade with him and it wasn't successful.

Dont you understand this? Saying that someone scams is against the rules. Saying not trusted is indicating they scam.

And no its not the exact same thing. Hi and Bi is completly different, except I changed the H to a B. Now they mean completly opposite.

If you think its the exact same thing, why not say not trusted to the trusted people then? Its the exact same thing right?

ReviewDude
18-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Oh goodness gracious (so many other words could have gone there) searh 'Naming Scammers' in Habbox Questions and Comments. You'll see a good dozen threads proving why allowing the naming of scammers is a bad idea.

Cwmbran
18-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Oh goodness gracious (so many other words could have gone there) searh 'Naming Scammers' in Habbox Questions and Comments. You'll see a good dozen threads proving why allowing the naming of scammers is a bad idea.

I know, I made a thread on it.
I know exactly why we should not name them and I disagree with it.

You can not say that if we named scammers then it would not benefit the forum community.

T0M
18-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Review - If a majority of the runescape forum believe it to be a good idea though, surely there could be a trial just in this section, and depending how it turns out, go on from there?

Also review, peoples opinions are changing atm, so just saying about the old threads made doesnt help. 'Progress only happens if people let it ':P =)

Cwmbran
18-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Review - If a majority of the runescape forum believe it to be a good idea though, surely there could be a trial just in this section, and depending how it turns out, go on from there?

Well put.

despute
18-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Yuhur, if it goes wrong and people abuse it take it away.

:Jamie
18-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Ive come across people that fake people being scammers so I dont support. If this would be allowed then anyone can post crap about someone being a scammer and faking proof(which is easy to do) and I also doubt this would be allowed as it wouldn't just affect this forum it would affect the whole forum and therefore cause arguements everywhere, someone says his a scammer and he says he isnt and theres a pic which could be faked you cant really say whos telling the truth..and be unfair if an action was taken out on that person which could of been unfair..maybe think things through before starting something that wont happen? :)

People will only believe what they want to hear.

T0M
18-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Ive come across people that fake people being scammers so I dont support. And who are you btw?

People could have changed? Why cant we give it a shot, if it doesnt work out it is easy enough to change it and return to rules of no naming scammers =)

deagle
18-03-2007, 12:22 AM

Also review, peoples opinions are changing atm, so just saying about the old threads made doesnt help. 'Progress only happens if people let it ':P =)

People's rep could be damaged due to fake accusations.

But, since I'm not the decision maker, I say maybe try for a day. See what happens and how many fakers pop up.

While we're at this. Why not make a section for successful trades. The trades must have links to the trade section for proof that it wasnt just all set up with a friend. And ideally, the trades didnt take a minute to complete lol.

18-03-2007, 12:27 AM
People could have changed? Why cant we give it a shot, if it doesnt work out it is easy enough to change it and return to rules of no naming scammers =)

Yes people can change from being trusted to scamming..that trusted person can easily say he didn't scam and people will believe him..because its what people want to hear. I still know it won't happen on this forum, management aren't that stupid to let this happen.

No sig for those who dont agree with this?

T0M
18-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Yes people can change from being trusted to scamming..that trusted person can easily say he didn't scam and people will believe him..because its what people want to hear. I still know it won't happen on this forum, management aren't that stupid to let this happen.

I disagree that it is a question of if it is allowed that they made the Stupid decision. As i said, i think a trial would be a great idea, see what happens, then if it goes wrong youw ere right and nobody can ask it to be allowed again, but at least we have been given the chance :l

jamie ill make a sig for those who disagree to be fair to all, if you gimmie 10 mins? Although i doubt you'd use it so it would probs be a waste of my time?

18-03-2007, 12:32 AM
I disagree that it is a question of if it is allowed that they made the Stupid decision. As i said, i think a trial would be a great idea, see what happens, then if it goes wrong youw ere right and nobody can ask it to be allowed again, but at least we have been given the chance :l

I don't have time to find the thread, this has been asked anyway and its been said it won't happen, also shows how easy a screenshot can be faked thats why I know they wont allow it.

This thread will die down soon anyway so don't bother just don't see why there isnt ones for those who disagree.

Sly
18-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Here go jamiehttp://www.****************/uploads/735957382d.gif (http://www.****************)

T0M
18-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Here you go jamie
http://www.****************/uploads/486f54fd77.png (http://www.****************)

For those who agree with jamie, there is a pic for sig

Sly
18-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Here you go jamie
[img]http://www.****************/uploads/c08b777820************* (http://www.****************)

mines better :(

T0M
18-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Lol look now :p fixed it - Even tho yours is still tonnes better :P

Im off =) Bye

Sly
18-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Teehee :) I remember before infractions i used to post in everyones threads saying Scams :) but only messing and i would never get told off but then one day i did it to the wrong guy and got permed :'(

deagle
18-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Lol scars sig way better, not gona put in cause i got no room

ReviewDude
18-03-2007, 12:46 AM

I'll sum it up for you, and sorry if I sound condescending - I don't meant to be.

You are MrRunescapeUser. You visit HabboxForum. I decide, because I'm now allowed to name scammers, I'll post a big thread saying 'DO NOT TRADE WITH MRRUNESCAPEUSER!!!!" then edit a few screenshots to show you stealing my stuff. No one trades with you again.

It's FAR too easy for someone to get victimized and bullied and have their reputation ruined by lies - and at HabboxForum our concern is that we want everyone to be treated fairly. Naming of 'scammers' would just open up a can of worms.

I moderate the Graphics Forums, and it's already very, very difficult to find proof of someone ripping, and for that there is physical proof. No matter how foolproof a system we put up, some people would always be blamed unfairly.

We would rather let 10 people get scammed by someone because you couldn't post their name, than let one person have a crap time because someone faked they were a scammer.

End of story.

deagle
18-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Which is why we should all resort to PMs.

Orangeesh
18-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Yeah scammers should be named so that no one else gets scammed

but u should only point out a scammer
with proof...

ReviewDude
18-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Yeah scammers should be named so that no one else gets scammed

but u should only point out a scammer
with proof...

What is proof? Mr Joe Nobody saying "Purpleesh scammed me"? What about an edited screenshot? Is that proof? An edited video?

People can make proof to suit their own needs ;)

Which is why we should all resort to PMs.

Be that as it may, at least not everyone finds out if someone lies.

Seren
18-03-2007, 01:00 AM
We were allowed to name scammers back when we had a safe and unsafe list. It caused so many arguements, all threads were being flammed and it was hell.

If you want to aware someone of a scammer, send them a PM, that way, noone will find out that you've accused someone of scamming and so on.

Seren
18-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Sorry for double post, I lagged :'(.

SpellingMistake
18-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Tbh it is anoying not being able to name scammer but i supose its better than being falsely acused. Should just think oh no1s vouched for this guy so i won`t go first .

ReviewDude
18-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Tbh it is anoying not being able to name scammer but i supose its better than being falsely acused. Should just think oh no1s vouched for this guy so i won`t go first .

Exactly, there are ways to build reputations - you don't need a system to destroy them :)

---MAD---
18-03-2007, 11:56 AM
I think allowing members to name scammers would only cause arguements and doubts and would decrease the trust amongst members.

If you really want to warn someone about a scammer or w/e, you can PM him/her and warn her instead of announcing it publically on a post or whatever. This way the person offering to trade won't know and there won't be arguements etc :).

Thanks
MAD

Snubix
18-03-2007, 11:57 AM
300000000000000000000000000000000000000% support, however my signature is full down to the last character =l

Shrlurp
18-03-2007, 04:01 PM
100&#37; Agreed, However I Believe SUFFICIENT, Bad Spelling Should Be Needed.

Seren
18-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Here you go jamie
http://www.****************/uploads/486f54fd77.png (http://www.****************)

might aswell make a sig for people who couldn't care less.

Shrlurp
18-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Clearly You Want The Forum To Be Full Of Scammers...

Seren
18-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Clearly You Want The Forum To Be Full Of Scammers...
Clearly I couldn't really care.

Shrlurp
18-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Pfft... Jeez. Anyway Nvm The Noob. Go For It Cwmbran

Seren
18-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Pfft... Jeez. Anyway Nvm The Noob. Go For It Cwmbran
You wouldn't be agreeing with him if you knew what it was like here when scammers were aloud to be named. It was World War II but worse.

Shrlurp
18-03-2007, 04:30 PM
If You Read My First Post It Says, Sufficient Proof.

ReviewDude
18-03-2007, 05:28 PM

Define sufficient proof? It's so, so very easy to edit a screenshot, or fake a testimony.

18-03-2007, 05:34 PM

Can easily be faked end of.

micky.blue.eyes
18-03-2007, 07:35 PM
You'll never be allowed to name scammer, just accept it.
It'll cause too many arguements and ruin reputations.

You're all saying that you'll notice if proof is faked or not, this already shows that the system will fail because you can easily fake evidence and people won't notice, so you're basically saying if you can't tell the evidence is fake then it's real.

You won't get a trial because you all act in a perfect way to proof the system works, once it's accepted people will abuse it.
Or worse, people will abuse it right away and the system won't be accepted but too much harm has been done and some people lost their trustability.

JackBuddy
18-03-2007, 09:31 PM
It's like the fact that you can buy rep, but not return it.

ReviewDude
18-03-2007, 11:12 PM

How is that anything to do with anything?

Buzle
18-03-2007, 11:19 PM
I support but dont at the same time.

Cos you would HAVE to HAVE proof, like caught on tape.

Bahh, I think that when people do trades, they should record it.

Royal
18-03-2007, 11:56 PM
I think, your rule should follow but I agree with Jamie and you so, how a about post a scammers name but you can only do it if you have proof?

Kieeran
19-03-2007, 12:00 AM
i have a statement in my sig but i agree.

Cwmbran
19-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Define sufficient proof? It's so, so very easy to edit a screenshot, or fake a testimony.
It would actually quite hard to edit a screenshot to make it actually look real as you need to have the correct colours in the correct place, same type of font. If you take a screeshot of anyplace in runescape then zoom into it you will see each individual pixel, I'm not saying it can't be done but it would take about a hour.
So say we did a trade and it all went well and I decided to accuse you of scamming me I would have to make everyone believe me that and make up some rubbish that the screenshots are taking ages to upload, people would figure out whats happend.

You won't get a trial because you all act in a perfect way to proof the system works, once it's accepted people will abuse it.
Or worse, people will abuse it right away and the system won't be accepted but too much harm has been done and some people lost their trustability.
Are you psychic?

I think, your rule should follow but I agree with Jamie and you so, how a about post a scammers name but you can only do it if you have proof?
Yes, maybe create a thread where you could post the names of people who scammed along with video/picture evidence and maybe have a nuetral person watching the trade.

crans
19-03-2007, 02:25 PM
o.O

how about, since there's a trusted list!

they make a Non-trusted list?

you need like least 2 screenies they scammed, 4 people to say? er some proof?

:D!

it's stupid that you cant name scammers.

Middlesbrough
19-03-2007, 02:47 PM
o.O

What he said ^

Ashhizzle
19-03-2007, 02:52 PM
o.O

Not rly, if you got called a scammer, you'd argue, which is what MOD's don't want

Cwmbran
19-03-2007, 03:19 PM
o.O
you need like least 2 screenies they scammed, 4 people to say? er some proof!

Not rly, if you got called a scammer, you'd argue, which is what MOD's don't want
Hence the reason he said "you need like 2 screenies they scammed, 4 people to say?" Also if you read my first post it would say about proof.

JackBuddy
19-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Lmao whoops! Wrong thread

Neil
19-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Who would spend the time to mod a video/picture just to say... Oh he/she scammed me.
You would be able to see in the pictures and videos that they have been modified.

I agree with your last comments though.

I'm very good at modding RS pics, I don't scam but I can do it, VERY few noticable errors either :P

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/295/faketradeaq4.png

This trade NEVER happened, it was not made to use for scamming just proof that pictures can easily be modified

Kieeran
19-03-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm very good at modding RS pics, I don't scam but I can do it, VERY few noticable errors either :P

This trade NEVER happened, it was not made to use for scamming just proof that pictures can easily be modified

Thats good but yeah there has to be a way to prove it.

Jeff.
19-03-2007, 04:45 PM

Its called moparscape :?D

Youheard
19-03-2007, 04:50 PM
It's a stupid idea to name scammers, people will only abuse the fact you can and ruin someones reputation on the forum.

If you don't want to take the risk of being scammed don't trust trade in the first place.

Scouse
19-03-2007, 04:58 PM
maybe hire some staff on the forum to go to all the trades?

Neil
19-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Its called moparscape :?D

Yea you could do that aswell? :S

Seren
19-03-2007, 05:15 PM
o.O

There was a un-safe traders list before, It was hell. People always got wrongly accused and put on that list even though they never scammed.

Ramones
19-03-2007, 05:18 PM

like the middle men on scythe? i suppose it could work for big trades but it would be a hell of a job doing it for all trades

Seren
19-03-2007, 05:20 PM
like the middle men on scythe? i suppose it could work for big trades but it would be a hell of a job doing it for all trades
I doubt the mods would want to MM a trade or anything, most of them will have better things to do unless they get a cut in.

Scouse
19-03-2007, 05:28 PM
alot of people on habbox forum would like to have a job on here so why not hire people to go to all trades? could have a little forum on it and there could be a set place to where all trades take place? or they have to go to the place where the person who is wittnessing the trade so they dont have to stop what there doing?

Seren
19-03-2007, 05:29 PM
alot of people on habbox forum would like to have a job on here so why not hire people to go to all trades? could have a little forum on it and there could be a set place to where all trades take place? or they have to go to the place where the person who is wittnessing the trade so they dont have to stop what there doing?
What if a scammer gets the job?

Scouse
19-03-2007, 05:33 PM
well habbox doesnt just hire anyone they have to go through a test or something dont they? and they could hire really really trusted people e.g dan i know hes admin but im just using him as a example

Seren
19-03-2007, 05:34 PM
well habbox doesnt just hire anyone they have to go through a test or something dont they? and they could hire really really trusted people e.g dan i know hes admin but im just using him as a example
and if a scammer passes the test?

and even trusted people are likely to scam than scammers. They're just not known for it.

Scouse
19-03-2007, 05:37 PM
im just making suggestions, if you cant post screenies, videos or get someone to witness it then whats the whole point in this thread without proof?

T0M
19-03-2007, 05:43 PM
im just making suggestions, if you cant post screenies, videos or get someone to witness it then whats the whole point in this thread without proof?

Has a point, he is only making suggestions :l dont shoot em all down so fast !

Some good ideas but not sure the mm thing would work out as MM's can scam as easy as normal people.

Youheard
19-03-2007, 05:54 PM

Then you have to trust the Staff member. Just because someone is Habbox Staff doesnt make them 100% safe. Also these sort of trades are against Runescape rules which could get Habbox Forum in trouble with Jagex.

Scouse
19-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Then you have to trust the Staff member. Just because someone is Habbox Staff doesnt make them 100% safe. Also these sort of trades are against Runescape rules which could get Habbox Forum in trouble with Jagex.

oh yeah :P well like i said before i was just making suggestions

how about a friend of the person who was going first or something i dunno :s

Youheard
19-03-2007, 06:06 PM
The only way to stop people scamming is to stop people trust trading. As this won't happen scammers will carry on scamming without being named.

micky.blue.eyes
19-03-2007, 06:15 PM
i have a statement in my sig but i agree.
Lol, that statement will get you banned if you keep doing it. ;)

It would actually quite hard to edit a screenshot to make it actually look real as you need to have the correct colours in the correct place, same type of font. If you take a screeshot of anyplace in runescape then zoom into it you will see each individual pixel, I'm not saying it can't be done but it would take about a hour.
So say we did a trade and it all went well and I decided to accuse you of scamming me I would have to make everyone believe me that and make up some rubbish that the screenshots are taking ages to upload, people would figure out whats happend.

Are you psychic?

Yes, maybe create a thread where you could post the names of people who scammed along with video/picture evidence and maybe have a nuetral person watching the trade.

Yes, I'm psychic.

It's very easy to edit a screenshot, Neil proved that with the moparscape picture below. Videos could be made using moparscape aswell, if you got a good server with the same NPC's on the right places as the real rs then you can make everybody look like a scammer.

o.O
you need like least 2 screenies they scammed, 4 people to say? er some proof? :D! it's stupid that you cant name scammers.

Doesn't work, same reason as mentioned above.

Exactly.

Hence the reason he said "you need like 2 screenies they scammed, 4 people to say?" Also if you read my first post it would say about proof.

Once again, proof is very easy to make.

Very nice example.

Those people could scam too and I don't think anybody would want to go to all those little trades.

They can and will scam too. Also, it's not Habbox's responsibility, it's yours.

despute
19-03-2007, 06:16 PM
One person could say I didn't get the money, or something, and will cause arguments. Mods on forum don't see trade log.

Ramones
19-03-2007, 06:19 PM
if you're saying anybody can go from being safe and trusted to being a scammer then surely it's kind of contradictive having a safe list?

Shoovers
19-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Despute, they could trade the person who is watching to show the items that they traded

Zehro
19-03-2007, 06:23 PM
if you're saying anybody can go from being safe and trusted to being a scammer then surely it's kind of contradictive having a safe list?

No, but no one knows who is trusted really or not say if Mickey was doing a 10 bphat he could just crack and scam

So no one really knows

Cwmbran
19-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, I'm psychic.

It's very easy to edit a screenshot, Neil proved that with the moparscape picture below. Videos could be made using moparscape aswell, if you got a good server with the same NPC's on the right places as the real rs then you can make everybody look like a scammer.

Hardly any Moparscape servers have the NPC's in the correct positions now. Also as I said before it would take awhile to find a Moparscape server, set up the trade and then upload the screenshots.
People would figure out the accuser is lying, they are not stupid.

T0M
19-03-2007, 11:25 PM

Pretty good point :o but i agree that proof can be edited/faked easily so its a tricky subject tbh

ohemjee
20-03-2007, 01:30 AM
supported.

If someone claims you scam, they have low posts low rep and noone knows them.. You wont have to worrie and jump to conclusions, might be some randomer...

deagle
20-03-2007, 05:59 AM
supported.

If someone claims you scam, they have low posts low rep and noone knows them.. You wont have to worrie and jump to conclusions, might be some randomer...

Then people will buy accounts. like omgjake did. or w/e that guy's name is

Tbh
20-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I support..even tho i hardly go on anymore=]

Cwmbran
20-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Ok well done Jord I only gave you link for you too look LOL Not post...
I'm going to close it now as it was bumped.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!