PDA

View Full Version : Mini-I.FM [Comments, Jobs & More]

Invent
19-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey!

Thats right, things are finally starting to come together at Mini-I.FM. We now have our domain ready, our template (The one I posted recently) sorted and we have it coded (Tables & AJAX - Not iFrames). We are thinking about converting it to joomla, but we aren't currently sure about that, ANYWAY.

This thread is a mix between:

- Your Comments,
- Jobs,
- Your Ideas

So lets start off at comments shall we?

Right, first of all what do you all think of:

http://duosystems.net/mini-i

And is it cross-browser? (If you're using IE does it work with it ok?, etc)

Next thing is, should we use the AJAX page system or settle for iFrames? Your choice :)

------------------------------------

Next, Jobs!

We are now hiring staff fo' a bunch of positions at Mini-I, so make sure you apply for atleast one!

The jobs you can apply for are:

- Pixel Artist,
- Graphics designer,
- Content Writer,
- Article Writer,
- Radio Manager,
- Site Technician (admin).

If you wish to apply either post here or PM me answering this:

Habbo Name:
Experience?:
If yes, where?:
Why should we pick you?:

And finally, Ideas!

We are in need for some unique ideas for the fansite as we want to have as much things available as possible when we open!

Ideas can be about anything. From an idea about say Games to Rare values. All ideas are greatly appreciated.

Oh and before I end the post I thought I would let you know we are aiming for a more professional approach at being a fansite this time and we wont be just hiring friends, etc.

Thanks! [:
Simon

P.S: MOD please dont move as this is the most relevant section, thanks [:

F32
19-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Where is the news section of the site?

Invent
19-03-2007, 07:32 PM
News will be added soon.

We're currently discussing news because we are unsure if Habbo-Paper is providing it or not (seeing as we are partners).

F32
19-03-2007, 07:33 PM
What sort of news panel will you be using?

Invent
19-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Well we will use one of these:

- Cutenews (definately if HP provides the news),
- Fusion News.

If we don't want one of those two, I will be creating one I guess :P PowerNews I can see it now...

F32
19-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I might be asking stupid questions here, but wouldn't it be hard to implement the AJAX loading into the CN script or is it just a case of changing the config file or whatever?

Invent
19-03-2007, 07:40 PM
For the cutenews you just edit the inc/shows.inc.php so that it does <a onclick="dopage('cutenews url stuff', 'content')"></a> instead of <a href="cutenews url stuff"></a> and it work fine with the AJAX.

Jackbee
19-03-2007, 07:41 PM
I sent you a PM about being radio manager, hope i get it :)

Invent
19-03-2007, 07:42 PM
:) I just received 2 apps, reading them now.

I really hope people want the AJAX page loader, because I dont know why but I really like the "Findind and loading page..." thing :P

F32
19-03-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't think I'll be applying this time around due to my own project :8.

I will be in contact with you shortly about something though.

Invent
19-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Alrighty :)

Good luck with your project.

OFF-TOPIC: Does anyone know how many tests Memtest86 does? It's been running for 3:30 Hours o_o

Jackbee
19-03-2007, 07:45 PM
btw my applications totaly sucks...

JK
19-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Realy good layout, one of the best iv seen so far this year. although i dont realy like the banner, i like the writeing but i dont like the pic. :)

today
19-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Ajax ftw please, i'll apply for a job i thinks. o.O

QuickScriptz
19-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Well, first of all let's start with the comments on the layout....

Layout
-I like the layout, and it keeps the professional look... so far ;)
-The ajax loader is confusing, yes it looks cool when you actually get time to stop and read it but when it just appears and disappears really quick at first I thought I had accidentally pressed a button or did something wrong? I am new to ajax but is there anyway to like "preload" the pages in the menu when the visitor first arrives on your homepage?
-As already stated in your layouts thread, I love the header! Very original image I have never seen before.

Coding Stuff
-Depending on what news system you end up with a CMS probably would be a good idea to try and integrate it. It would allow you to first and foremost have a user system - which frequent visitors really do like, just dont make it so you have to register to view the site content (instead make like a users only section with cool extras). For some good ideas for a user system try: http://habbovalley.com/ their user sys. is great!
-Your code is not valid in XHTML Transitional! Likely because you are using tables, but it is always a good idea to try and make it as close to valid as possible. You might want to check out what errors you got and see if you can fix them: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.duosystems.net%2Fmini-i%2F (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http&#37;3A%2F%2Fwww.duosystems.net%2Fmini-i%2F)
-When I checked out your page info I found that it makes use of alot of images, I understand that with tables alot of images are necessary but you should atleast make sure that you are using the correct types in the right places to limit browser load. Here's a good guide to that kind of stuff: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/web_graphics/article.php/3479931

Ideas/Other Stuff
-Have a mobile site. I have only ever seen one other Habbo site that has a mobile site for users on their Blackberry's or phone browsers but its a great idea!
-Don't just copy guides from other sites, actually write them yourself, and when writing them don't be afraid to get personal with the user, DuckieWorld does this amazingly well and it really makes the user feel welcome. Just simple comments like in the dW FAQ section an example; [How did you make dW? With our hands, brains and the computer. Although, various programs are involved from notepad, Dreamweaver, Flash MX, Photoshop even MS Paint.] They inform the user while still keeping that professional air.
-A live help center is never a bad idea as long as you can staff it. If you can get enough people to have an operator there at "primetime" then it really helps user interactivity and interest level.

Memtest86
It is like a diagnostic that the system performs on itself every so often. It's most common uses are when you want to install an operating system, before the install you can perform a memtest to make sure your computer can handle the new os and it's memory is working/functioning fine. But I don't know why it would be running for 3hrs, unless it always stays on? Lemme check... nope not on for my desktop... anyways check the official site to see possible causes/fixes if needed: http://www.memtest86.com/

Conclusion
Anyways hope this helps you out and gets your site out on its best foot forward. Please feel free to PM me for any further opinions and whatnot!

Invent
19-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Great help! +rep

EDIT: Two more jobs are now available, DJ and Events Co-Ordinator (Events team)

-::Mr.Dave::-
19-03-2007, 08:58 PM
I applied for site tech or DJ

and Memtest takes absolutely ages. Took 9 hours last time I used it

LondonGoons
19-03-2007, 09:12 PM
One of the best layouts iv seen so far, makes the site look 'proffestional' and if you did sell that im sure you would get alot of money for it.
But keep it, makes mini-i-fm look really good.

And i also like the loading part that also makes the site look proffestional, i would like to say good luck invent with your site your ideas are really good.

Invent
19-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks alot :)

Mr.OSH
19-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Well Coded, well designed and well thought out. Brilliant Layout it looks very professional and there isn't much to improve on there. I am busy with tons of stuff at the moment so I wont be applying for a Job but I wish you the best of luck and it is all looking great so far! :D + rep if I can...

Invent
20-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks Jay ![:♥

+Rep

Mr.OSH
20-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks Jay ![:♥

+Rep

Its Ok I wish you the best of luck mate! :) + rep returned...

-::Mr.Dave::-
20-03-2007, 09:10 PM
did i get accepeted?

also how long did memtest take?

Invent
20-03-2007, 09:16 PM
It took 8 Hours and it gave me no helpful information "/

Oh and everyone who applied will get an PM soon [:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!