PDA

View Full Version : Web Design of the week ?

com-bat
20-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Seeing as there are quite alot of buzzing web designers on the forum ,
I thought we could maby have like a Layout of the week where

- First we come up with a set of themes or w/e e.g : hosting , blog .....
- Take a poll on which one
- Open submissions to the LAOTW 1 per person
- At the end of the week have people take a poll on the layouts
- Watermarks of course to stop RIPerrs :P

so what do you think, will you join in , or are there any problems on this ? feed me back :)

JamesRouale
20-03-2007, 04:39 PM
And you are...?

Invent
20-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Meh. I guess I would submit my templates. You should create a cool badge for people who win say 4+ times [:

Blob
20-03-2007, 04:42 PM
I used to do this, remember James? You sumbited one. It was TOTW.

com-bat
20-03-2007, 04:43 PM
hmm lol ill try I want too see if it would catch on or w/e

EDIT: why did you stop ?

Invent
Im sure I remember your "TOTW" Ryan.

JamesRouale
So, web designers will be wasting their time on projects that have no source of revenue?

Why would web designers waste their time and effort producing designs for no obvious reason when they could be advertising their services to potential clients?

Why?

Invent
20-03-2007, 04:44 PM
James they could just submit the templates they made for potential clients?

By winning the polls it can attract even more potential customers.

Thats why :)

Blob
20-03-2007, 04:45 PM
I stopped it as well, it kinda never took off.

com-bat
20-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Web design does not allways involve money / revenue I mean by all means
you could allways sell your layout to somone , but the whole point would
be to maby establish skill among forum users leading to potentiel customers
without the need for any portfolio.

Lysine
20-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Perhaps to get practice on making layouts? and i think alot of people would enter this. a very good idea.

Invent
20-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Thing is...it would just be Adam/Redtom/Singh,/Ozzie/Oli winning all the time :P

redtom
20-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Thing is...it would just be Adam/Redtom/Singh,/Ozzie/Oli winning all the time :P

And you with your ownage habbo layouts.

I agree, if you did do this then there should be cat, and the person who enters can not pick the cat there self, the runners of the event will do this.

Invent
20-03-2007, 04:53 PM
^ Agreed.

And thanks for the comment about my Habbo Layouts ;D

Frog!
20-03-2007, 05:11 PM
It might even be fun? :)

Teh Sexy Edit:
It would give up & coming web designers to relish the chance of showing off there skills :)

com-bat
20-03-2007, 05:15 PM
It might even be fun? :)

:P lol kinda what I was aiming to do heh so anyone wanna be OFFICAL
LOTW badge maker ? or wanna help run the competition

Oni
20-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I did this too until someone stole it, hmmm adam I think *gives evils*.

com-bat
20-03-2007, 05:18 PM
I did this too until someone stole it, hmmm adam I think *gives evils*.

maby you would like to orginise this one ? heh

Oni
20-03-2007, 05:22 PM
maby you would like to orginise this one ? heh
No, lol.

com-bat
20-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Soo If I started maby now came up with a set of rules you guys would maby join in ? AND WIN a badge !!!!

redtom
20-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking of making a site like this idea, but there would be more then just templates, it would also have script and graphics to start with and if it kicks off I would add more cats, any one wanna help? I have thought about this and I think it would work, it would be a bit like a web designers community but more competitive.

com-bat
20-03-2007, 05:52 PM
I would keep it to more of a forum based thing for now but if it escalates
we could maby establish a website and go in other cats

Oni
20-03-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm thinking of making a site like this idea, but there would be more then just templates, it would also have script and graphics to start with and if it kicks off I would add more cats, any one wanna help? I have thought about this and I think it would work, it would be a bit like a web designers community but more competitive.
I would :)

com-bat
20-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I was thinking this could actually work out :P with abit of effort towards
getting the site well known .

Flisker
20-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Hmm that sounds good ;] I would love to help with redtom's idea

redtom
20-03-2007, 08:34 PM
If you 3 could pm me your msn, when we're all online we can get the plan down and see what we would need.

Mr.OSH
20-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Seeing as there are quite alot of buzzing web designers on the forum ,
I thought we could maby have like a Layout of the week where

- First we come up with a set of themes or w/e e.g : hosting , blog .....
- Take a poll on which one
- Open submissions to the LAOTW 1 per person
- At the end of the week have people take a poll on the layouts
- Watermarks of course to stop RIPerrs :P

so what do you think, will you join in , or are there any problems on this ? feed me back :)

Well if you want a few of my recent designs to be submitted into this if it goes ahead pm me and I would be happy to submit some (even though they are not that good!) :D + rep for a great idea though!

..-Evan-..
20-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I would, help or enter in the comps, none of the layouts I have entered onto this forum are to my full potential so, it woulod be nice for me to actually show you guys/girls what I got ;].

Mentor
20-03-2007, 10:28 PM
My main problem is your not tesing webdesign abilty, instead its a test of peoples skill with makeing graphic/images. Thats one small part of webdesign, hardly reflective of any real webdesign abilty.
It also is only helpful for people who use a specific style or method when design pages, those who use alternative methods would be unable to compete, since a full image mockup of the site is never part of there design proccess.
I myself tend to plan a site out on pen and paper, then design form the code up adding images as the final step. Im guessing posting a hand drawn scan of a website design would not be applicable?

For a real webdesign competion, youd really need to assess the codeing behind it as well, just becuse you can make a nice image, doesnt mean you can create a fully functioning, efficant website from it "/

Just my 2 pence on the subject anyway :/

Invent
20-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Then only allow live demo's of the templates to be entered?

OR just make it a design competition [:

redtom
20-03-2007, 10:34 PM
My main problem is your not tesing webdesign abilty, instead its a test of peoples skill with makeing graphic/images. Thats one small part of webdesign, hardly reflective of any real webdesign abilty.
It also is only helpful for people who use a specific style or method when design pages, those who use alternative methods would be unable to compete, since a full image mockup of the site is never part of there design proccess.
I myself tend to plan a site out on pen and paper, then design form the code up adding images as the final step. Im guessing posting a hand drawn scan of a website design would not be applicable?

For a real webdesign competion, youd really need to assess the codeing behind it as well, just becuse you can make a nice image, doesnt mean you can create a fully functioning, efficant website from it "/

Just my 2 pence on the subject anyway :/

On the site I'm thinking of setting up it will have areas to enter like for the layouts you would have:

Layout Design (Image)
Ready To Go Site (Live preview, so it should be fully coded)

:Liam
20-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Pretty good Idea I would consider entering :)

Unban Slixor
20-03-2007, 11:36 PM
sounds crap lmao

com-bat
21-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Yeh I think maby we could have the competetion on the site and reffer
to the comp on the site some weeks we could focus specifically on
images/graphics and some weeks both / code

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!