PDA

View Full Version : How Redtiz lead to 4 arrests....

2hd.
22-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Thought some of you might be interested, I see it as habbo news as it involves habbo staff.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/12/10/how_goner_suspects_were_tracked/
Messages coded into the Goner worm and monitoring of the IRC channel used to control its activities led to the arrest of four suspected Israeli virus writers over the weekend.

One of the actions of Goner, which normally spreads as an infected attached-to-email message, is to install denial of service scripts for the mIRC Internet Relay Chat client. By monitoring the #pentagonex channel used to control the worm's activities, security experts working for DALnet IRC were able to track down its suspected creators.

Emma Monks, a volunteer with DALnet's exploits prevention team, said that after disabling the worm's denial of service abilities, which were believed to be targeted at a rival gang's ISP, DALnet's team set to track down the virus authors.

When activated the Goner worm displays a message, apparently from the author to his friends:

"Pentagone - coded by: suid. tested by ThE_SKuLL and [satan]. greetings to: TraceWar, k9-unit, stef16, ^Reno. Greetings also to nonick2 out there where ever you are."

DALnet records the IP address of anyone setting up an IRC channel which combined with the nicknames featured in the message the virus generates gave investigators vital clues.

Monks explained that by cross references the nicknames of those attempting to control drones from compromised machines on the channel with its database gave the IP addresses of members of the virus writing gang.

This information was turned over to the FBI, which in turn passed it on to the Israeli police. The four teenagers who were arrested on Friday are held in a juvenile detention centre pending a court appearance today and their computers have been seized. If convicted they could face a sentence of between three to five years in jail.

Goner is a fairly simple in its design, but it contains some nasty tricks up its sleeve including an attempt to disable antivirus and personal firewall applications. It spreads by ICQ as well as by Outlook.

Albion
22-03-2007, 05:36 PM
so habbo staff got arrested for sending viruses ? :s

Elkaa
22-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Given it's talking about America - I'm not too sure this is the same Emma Monks.

fondle
22-03-2007, 05:37 PM
*Removed*

Edited by ReviewDude (Forum Moderator): Please do not post rude or offensive remarks about other users.

dbgtz
22-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Cant be her.

Jazza
22-03-2007, 05:39 PM

No, Read it

Jordy
22-03-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm quite confident it's her, so a big well done.

Plus she's only a volunteer, whatever that DAL thing is called, she could be a volunteer working from home.

Some of you think she got arrested 4 times lol, do you think sulake would be stupid enough to employ a e-terrorist? There is things called criminal records.

Ashhizzle
22-03-2007, 06:03 PM

Plus she's only a volunteer, whatever that DAL thing is called, she could be a volunteer working from home.

Some of you think she got arrested 4 times lol, do you think sulake would be stupid enough to employ a e-terrorist? There is things called criminal records.
Yeah, lol :P

Seacat
22-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Despite your shocking grammar I agree with you. :p

crans
22-03-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm sure its totally wrong Emma Monks :)

Jordy
22-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Despite your shocking grammar I agree with you. :p

What's wrong with my grammar :o
Word picked up no mistakes, though it did the green line so it'd make it a tiny bit more sense.

--ss--
22-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't think it is her aswell , but if it is her then congrats , habbo finaly have someone who can deal with h4x0rs .

Just-One
22-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Hello again!

I'm in Spain at the moment so thought I may aswell check out Habbox and see how its doing. :)

Emma Monks sent me this email whilst declining me as a Habbo X a while ago:

To be honest, I'm not one who looks at facts like running sites with 10,000 users and necessarily thinks it equates to that person being 100% trustworthy and low risk. Although many Habbos think staff are clueless, we're actually not. I've been running online communities since 1992 and when I did community stuff for 'kicks' and not for money, I was a server admin and on the 'management board' of one of the oldest and largest IRC networks, with some 140,000 simultaneous users at peak times and 600,000 registered accounts. There'd usually be 30,000 simultaneous users on the server I ran alone. Why do I say this? Because I've first hand experience of guys in charge of A LOT of user data - guys who've headed up IT departments for major companies - going very, VERY astray. I've seen guys (and it is, almost always, guys - young ones at that) endanger or lose wonderful jobs because they've not got rid of the teenage anarchist streak they have and in bored moments have turned their talents towards doing some really stupid things like cracking NASA servers (and, yes, I've seen that happen), coding new trojans or getting into bot-herding and DDoSing the hell out of hapless sites.

I've no doubt you run those sites well, but I also have a niggly feeling when reading your output on boards that you're also someone who could go astray if you begin to feel bored/hard done by/irritated. Long years in community has taught me to minimise risk and I'm afraid my experience is giving me a hunch that you're a risk.
So I guess its down to you guys to decide whether it was Emma or not, either way, one thing we do know for sure is those 4 teenagers won't play around with computers again in the future. :) Also, if you run a fansite, a teenager (Heh, what do they expect on Habbo?), and a guy.. your chances of becoming a Habbo X are significantly lower!

Just-one

efq
22-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Ye, well this was 6 years ago or 5.

Habbo was just beginning.... Im sure they didnt have the best firewalls then.

Could be true

Jordy
22-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Can someone explain what IRC is for me (+rep to anyone who gives a detailed and understandable explanation)

--ss--
22-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Can someone explain what IRC is for me (+rep to anyone who gives a detailed and understandable explanation)
An irc is like a mini chat room , you can use programs like MIRC to conenct to the chat room , there are Habbox ircs but they're for runescape :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

scubadiva
22-03-2007, 10:18 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat :)

brandon
22-03-2007, 10:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat :)
echo!! lol

and interesting find.

Seacat
22-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Well seems you asked... :p

1) Sulake is spelt with a capital as it's a company name.
2) Should be "an e-terrorist" instead of "a e-terrorist".
3) Should be "there are things called..." instead of "there is things called...".

What's wrong with my grammar :o
Word picked up no mistakes, though it did the green line so it'd make it a tiny bit more sense.

I think it is Emma Monks from Sulake as she seems to be involved in IRCs and the Internet in general.

Callum.
22-03-2007, 10:30 PM

1) Sulake is spelt with a capital as it's a company name.
2) Should be "an e-terrorist" instead of "a e-terrorist".
3) Should be "there are things called..." instead of "there is things called...".

I think it is Emma Monks from Sulake as she seems to be involved in IRCs and the Internet in general.

Picky picky.

Earthquake
22-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Do you think spreading news like this makes you a happy man, what would you do if habbo never knew about this and she lost her job as a result of it? Anyway probally they do know, but why would you want to tell us this, she is a good person just leave habbo staff to do there job and stop stalking them.

Elkaa
22-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Earthquake, she helped them get arrested - She didn't GET arrested.

Some people need to read the text, not read what they want to read. Exam technique!

H0BJ0B
22-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Lol.
Funnily enough, I've got that virus.
Scanned PC, deleted it and had to get a new IRC because it disabled all channels.
I use Quakenet and #cod2.wars for finding scrims on COD2.
Just to stress it again xD
EMMA MONKS HELPED ARREST 4 TEENAGERS. SHE WAS NOT ARRESTED HERSELF!

GommeInc
22-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Should be: "Well, seeming as you asked." :rolleyes:

I hope you weren't being serious when you were criticising their grammar and/or spelling, because it shows immaturity and lack of common sense.

I'm not sure if it is her. Perhaps e-mail her maybe?

My God, why do people think SHE got arrested 4 times? Did no one bother reading that segment from the article? She got people arrested, not she got arrested. Jeez.

Earthquake
22-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Oh right, +Rep to you both, I just thought she was in the group lol.

asher_
23-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Do you think spreading news like this makes you a happy man, what would you do if habbo never knew about this and she lost her job as a result of it? Anyway probally they do know, but why would you want to tell us this, she is a good person just leave habbo staff to do there job and stop stalking them.

oh dear

Nixon!
23-03-2007, 01:54 AM
rather funny that the link is from an above the radar hack/warez site

Liz♥
23-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Hello again!

I'm in Spain at the moment so thought I may aswell check out Habbox and see how its doing. :)

Emma Monks sent me this email whilst declining me as a Habbo X a while ago:

So I guess its down to you guys to decide whether it was Emma or not, either way, one thing we do know for sure is those 4 teenagers won't play around with computers again in the future. :) Also, if you run a fansite, a teenager (Heh, what do they expect on Habbo?), and a guy.. your chances of becoming a Habbo X are significantly lower!

Just-one

Well there's Robsladey and that guy who owns Habbo-Valley, they own a fansite, there is probably a few more. Anyways good find there, lots of mumbo jumbo I so did not understand but I managed to make some sense out of it :P

le harry
23-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Doesnt say anything about Habs so not convinced ;)

PriceTags
23-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Doesnt say anything about Habs so not convinced ;)

Since it was three years before she began working there, I wouldn't think it should...

8Freak8
23-03-2007, 09:05 AM
I dont think it's the same one. Edit: After Just-One's post I think it is her :p. Btw Just-One, Redtiz is right about that. IT guys do have a weird habit of straying off course...

Also if you read the article those kids might get 3-5 years in jail!!! That's harsh! :o

Boxiel
23-03-2007, 09:40 AM

no, Habbo staff, gave info that led to 4 men being arrested.

jrh2002
23-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Lock them up and deter others :) great stuff :)

Homosexual
23-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Emma Monks
LiveIreland 4 & 5
Emma Monks is a 20 year old broadcast and journalist. She currently co-produces the programmes featured on both the Nature Channel and the Healing Channel on LiveIreland.Com along with Lisa Kenny. She has also produced numerous music-related talk-based shows for various radio stations based in Dublin.

Thats in ireland.

happy 21st hunny bunny.... Emma Monks <emmamonks83> ยท 0 Replies ... Richard (aka

thats another emma monks. from usa.

le harry
23-03-2007, 12:37 PM
So this isn't Emma Monks we know?

2hd.
23-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes, it definetly is that Emma Monks, from where i saw the article, i also saw her confirming it was her.

Jordy
23-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Well there's Robsladey and that guy who owns Habbo-Valley, they own a fansite, there is probably a few more. Anyways good find there, lots of mumbo jumbo I so did not understand but I managed to make some sense out of it :P

tm from Habbos.net too, well safety X.

Frisky
23-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Wooo goo emma

@xP
23-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Nice find very intresting ty

Black_Apalachi
23-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Sorry is Emma Monks RedTiz?

Shawnstra
23-03-2007, 11:55 PM
So is Emma the criminal or what, its confusing lol.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!