PDA

View Full Version : DIV ISSUE - Please Help.

Mr.OSH
22-03-2007, 05:57 PM
This is probably a silly question but....

When I use DIV ID's they don't stay in place in FireFox and some other browser and only seem to work on IE. Is there anyway to stop this? Also they move on different screen resolutions. Is there a way of stopping this?
This is the kind of thing I mean -
<div id="Layer1">
<div align="center">
<p><span class="style1">Welcome!"</span></p>
</div>
It would be great if you could help with this guys.... I might be making a silly mistake.. I'm using Dreamweaver 8 if that helps? :)

Mentor
22-03-2007, 07:48 PM
im somewhat confused here? with the posted code, you closed the center div, but not the one with the id ?
Was there any CSS attached to that?

Also align center is bad codeing, use css.. style="text-align:center;"

Mr.OSH
22-03-2007, 09:06 PM
im somewhat confused here? with the posted code, you closed the center div, but not the one with the id ?
Was there any CSS attached to that?

Also align center is bad codeing, use css.. style="text-align:center;"

In dreamweaver it allows you to create a "layer" this allows you to position things easier around the page and is better than tables for laying things out. However this does not work in firefox. I didn't have any css attached to it and all that was done automatically by dreamweaver. I was just wondering why it doesn't work.

Mentor
22-03-2007, 10:40 PM
In dreamweaver it allows you to create a "layer" this allows you to position things easier around the page and is better than tables for laying things out. However this does not work in firefox. I didn't have any css attached to it and all that was done automatically by dreamweaver. I was just wondering why it doesn't work.
Layers as simply absoultly positioned divs, they cant function without the CSS.
Also layers are a bad idea and far inferior to tables being absoultly positioned as opposed to fluid and flexible.
Dreamweave would just automaticaly add the css, without the css a layer wont work in IE or Firefox.

Tomm
23-03-2007, 07:34 AM
You don't code like that.

You have a "container" the holds all the DIVS then working down you add the divs in order and set the width, hight, etc.

But not never add absolute positioning.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!