PDA

View Full Version : and the fastist selling home console is.............

chips
27-03-2007, 01:38 AM
UK gamers apparently didn't hold a grudge after Sony delayed the launch of the PlayStation 3 in Europe for three months. The console went on sale in the UK this past weekend, and the first round of sales numbers are in.
According to industry watcher Chart Track, the PS3 became the fastest-selling home console in UK history, with almost 165,000 moved in its first two days on sale. The previous record holder for home consoles was the Wii, which sold more than 50,000 units in its first 12 hours, and was widely reported to have sold approximately 105,00 units in its opening weekend.
The PS3 helped two Sony software titles take the top spots on the UK's all-formats chart last week, with Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm falling in slots one and two, respectively. Overall, six of the top 10 all-formats games were PS3 titles

Wow ps3 looks to be taking over. 60,000 over the Wii was the biggest surprise to me

Blinger1
27-03-2007, 06:34 AM
poor non sony lovers :( "OMG PS3 WIL FAIL ITZ JUST A RIP OF DA SUPA KWL WE!!111" you losers..

well done sony :D

Bear-Max
27-03-2007, 08:37 AM
I was surprised when I heard the news, but it really doesn't mean all that much. The Wiis and 360s sales in the first weekend were limited due to the fact that they completely sold out, so they could only sell however many they had. This was mostly due to the fact they were coping with a global launch, whereas Sony has had 4 months to build up reserves for the European release. There are still about 60 000 consoles still sitting on shelves believe it or not.

Either way, first weekend sales don't determine much: the overall fastest selling console in the UK is the PSP which sold over 180 000 in its first weekend... and look how the DS is now dominating the handheld market.

Awfy
27-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Sony will always lead the way in console manufactur due to the pure fact they've started with the best and will keep going with the best.

At the beginning there was SEGA, Nintendo etc. Even when they had been in the game for many years, when Sony's Playstation game into view it blew the competition away with more advanced (now easy) things like Analog sticks and easy held pads. Also using a CD instead of a cartridge. Since then the Playstation has always lead the way and I expect it to lead the way till we all die out from playing them too much.

What Playstation did was held it off giving them the chance to improve upon the xBox and Wii. Turns out it was the right choice.

WOOT FOR PS :)

:Hazel
27-03-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm surprised at that to be honest, looking around the shops its advertised EVERYWHERE and to me it looked as though they were having trouble getting shot of them.

womanizer
27-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Suprised... I still won't be getting one

Kardan
27-03-2007, 02:51 PM
I won't be getting one just yet...
I'll stick with my Wii and 360 :rolleyes:

dirrty
27-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Im not surprised tbh. Sony have always been ahead with the ps1,2 & possibly 3.

Pyroka
27-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm suprised with it also, with the bad reputation of what happend in Oxford (Virgin Megastores launch night) and only 100-200 people turning up, this definetly suprises me.

Nemo
27-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Wow im surprised, also im confused..

nintendo issued out more wii's than sony did with ps3's also the wii's were out of stock EVERYWHERE whilst the ps3's were in stock in many places.. so im pretty darn confused on that 1 lol

Surprisingness

F32
27-03-2007, 03:52 PM
This maybe true - but just wait and it'll start to fall more than it should.

Bear-Max
27-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Wow im surprised, also im confused..

nintendo issued out more wii's than sony did with ps3's also the wii's were out of stock EVERYWHERE whilst the ps3's were in stock in many places.. so im pretty darn confused on that 1 lol

Surprisingness
Nope, the UK was allocated with 225 000 PS3s and (I'm assuming) 105 000 Wiis.

Also, seeing as how many of the midnight launches were a complete failure, I have a feeling that a lot of these sales were people who had bought 4 or 5 consoles expecting them to be out of stock and looking to make a quick buck on eBay.

Oni
27-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I can se how this is true but indeed strange. Wii is still soold out at every shop in Swindon and Ps3 is only sold out in 2.

Frodo13.
27-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Good news for Sony! People expected the same for PS2 and now, I dont know a person that dont own a PS2!!

Sony has dominated the games market since the PS, and playing the PS3 it won't suprise me if it continues to dominate tbh.

Oni
27-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Good news for Sony! People expected the same for PS2 and now, I dont know a person that dont own a PS2!!

Sony has dominated the games market since the PS, and playing the PS3 it won't suprise me if it continues to dominate tbh.
As already said you cant tell by the opening weekend and again look at the psps now poor sales.

Frodo13.
27-03-2007, 04:35 PM
As already said you cant tell by the opening weekend and again look at the psps now poor sales.

Tell me where I said that the PS3 will DEFINATLY lead. I said I wont be suprised because of its capabilities. The PS3 sold over 1 million in just 2 countries before released in Europe, so they must be doing something right.

brandon
27-03-2007, 04:39 PM
haha, suprising really but one to shut the fanboys up.

mangle
27-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I doubt that the PS3 will carry on selling. I've been told you can't take games back for trade in or lend them to mates due to something with blue ray. That put me off soyh :]

Frodo13.
27-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I doubt that the PS3 will carry on selling. I've been told you can't take games back for trade in or lend them to mates due to something with blue ray. That put me off soyh :]

I meant to take my game around my cousins house to try that out, but I forgot. That has it pros and cons too. Ya you cant trade in or lend them, but at least it will stop theft!

Bear-Max
27-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I meant to take my game around my cousins house to try that out, but I forgot. That has it pros and cons too. Ya you cant trade in or lend them, but at least it will stop theft!
You can trade in and lend them... There was a rumour they were going to engrave discs but it never happened.

Neil
27-03-2007, 05:12 PM
haha, suprising really but one to shut the fanboys up.

If only all the fan boys would grow up, all the consoles have good things and bad things, the best thing to do is get all 3 then you can't go wrong, you have all the Sony fanboys "PS3 is the best console ever it sold more than 360 and Wii in the first weekend", WHO CARES?! It's a friggin' £500 console, if people spent £500 on something that will be out of date in less than 10 years then you SERIOUSLY need to sort yourself out, at least the Wii and 360 are a reasonable price, most of the price for the PS3 is problem blu-ray and you think about it for a day and after that you realise it does NOTHING so you pay £500 for a console with blu-ray that is only good for playing blu-ray cds, WASTE OF MONEY DVD is cheap and it works, the quality is fine, who cares about how realistic it looks it's a friggin' movie nothing about it is realistic, with the Wii it's cheap, it's exercise and it's fun to play, only problem is the strap you get with it is too weak, I'm sure you can buy custom ones so problem sorted, xbox 360 is good in everyway, cheap, easy to use, awesome online, they only problem with it is the game developers are giving all the best games to Sony aswell so even more idiots will start comparing two games from each console

Yozd
27-03-2007, 05:21 PM
True in some ways, but very misinformed in others.
You're acting like you're opinion is the only one that matters.
I'm quite glad to get high quality blu-ray.

Get your head out of your ****.

Your whole body is about to invert.

Orange Invader
27-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Although it has sold well and I congratulate Sony on their success, I personally dislike the PlayStation 3 as of yet, although I haven't played it yet. I think it's been released far too late in Europe and it's just the Xbox 360 with a few pointless extra features. This is what I thought about the Xbox. It was the same as the PlayStation 2 only with slightly improved graphics and one or two pointless extra features. It was too late a release for the both of these consoles.

brandon
27-03-2007, 05:30 PM
If only all the fan boys would grow up, all the consoles have good things and bad things, the best thing to do is get all 3 then you can't go wrong, you have all the Sony fanboys "PS3 is the best console ever it sold more than 360 and Wii in the first weekend", WHO CARES?! It's a friggin' £500 console, if people spent £500 on something that will be out of date in less than 10 years then you SERIOUSLY need to sort yourself out, at least the Wii and 360 are a reasonable price, most of the price for the PS3 is problem blu-ray and you think about it for a day and after that you realise it does NOTHING so you pay £500 for a console with blu-ray that is only good for playing blu-ray cds, WASTE OF MONEY DVD is cheap and it works, the quality is fine, who cares about how realistic it looks it's a friggin' movie nothing about it is realistic, with the Wii it's cheap, it's exercise and it's fun to play, only problem is the strap you get with it is too weak, I'm sure you can buy custom ones so problem sorted, xbox 360 is good in everyway, cheap, easy to use, awesome online, they only problem with it is the game developers are giving all the best games to Sony aswell so even more idiots will start comparing two games from each console
Yeah, the Wii and Xbox fanboys will shut up saying about their console sales compared to the PS3, but now the sony fanboys will use this as their next reason to why PS3 is the best.

Nemo
27-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah, the Wii and Xbox fanboys will shut up saying about their console sales compared to the PS3, but now the sony fanboys will use this as their next reason to why PS3 is the best.
Thats true but then their reply can just be "Yeah but i find the blahblah more fun so idc ok?" Simple.. thats the best way to end the "war" just say hey dudes its consoles.. get a life go outside and its all down to personal preference:rolleyes:

Colin-Roberts
27-03-2007, 08:18 PM
im not a fanboy of any sort but whoever say xbox is best is a huge fanboy
without nintento and then sony there wouldnt be xboxs
without nintendo there wouldnt be playstation
same with w.e was before nintentdo

Orange Invader
27-03-2007, 08:42 PM
^^ Good point

Homesrfan
27-03-2007, 08:50 PM
im not a fanboy of any sort but whoever say xbox is best is a huge fanboy
That is completely stupid.

You just owned yourself. You can't say fanboyism is bad, and then go on a fanboy rant. That doesn't work. I don't like fanboyism, but when I see, I try and fight back, like you did it seems, but you go against your whole point. Then you say Wii has a bad part, the strap. I have a Wii, and there are much more faults. Not that it's a bad system at all, but there are bigger faults than that.

By the way, I'm a Nintendo fan.

PaulMacC
27-03-2007, 08:54 PM
UK gamers apparently didn't hold a grudge after Sony delayed the launch of the PlayStation 3 in Europe for three months. The console went on sale in the UK this past weekend, and the first round of sales numbers are in.
According to industry watcher Chart Track, the PS3 became the fastest-selling home console in UK history, with almost 165,000 moved in its first two days on sale. The previous record holder for home consoles was the Wii, which sold more than 50,000 units in its first 12 hours, and was widely reported to have sold approximately 105,00 units in its opening weekend.
The PS3 helped two Sony software titles take the top spots on the UK's all-formats chart last week, with Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm falling in slots one and two, respectively. Overall, six of the top 10 all-formats games were PS3 titles

Wow ps3 looks to be taking over. 60,000 over the Wii was the biggest surprise to me

Now the fanboy's have gotten there's the PS3 will drop in sales.

Homesrfan
27-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I think the PS3 sales will drop, and then rise in about a year.
I think Wii sales are doing to drop a lot soon. There just isn't enough out yet. Once SSBB, Metroid, and Mario come out, expect a huge increase of sales.

Neil
27-03-2007, 08:56 PM
That is completely stupid.

You just owned yourself. You can't say fanboyism is bad, and then go on a fanboy rant. That doesn't work. I don't like fanboyism, but when I see, I try and fight back, like you did it seems, but you go against your whole point. Then you say Wii has a bad part, the strap. I have a Wii, and there are much more faults. Not that it's a bad system at all, but there are bigger faults than that.

By the way, I'm a Nintendo fan.

Yes but the strap was the only problem that I know about, and I'm going on a fanboy rant? I love PS2, PSP, Nintendo consoles and the xbox's but the PS3 was just not something I was ever intrested in, it's basically a 360 with a few more features, I know all consoles have loads of problems, I know the 360 can sometimes have certain hardware errors and you need to pay like £80 to get it repaired, I don't really know much about the PS3 but I know it's just pointless, nothing really special about it, the only original next gen console at the moment is the Wii, PS3 is like PS2 but with better graphics and blu-ray, xbox 360 is almost exactly like the original xbox but a few more features, the Wii is the most original but it still has problems like all consoles, I am aware of more problems I just don't know them

PaulMacC
27-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I think the PS3 sales will drop, and then rise in about a year.
I think Wii sales are doing to drop a lot soon. There just isn't enough out yet. Once SSBB, Metroid, and Mario come out, expect a huge increase of sales.

Super Paper Mario
Mario Strikers Charged
Donkey kong jungle beat
Metroid
There's a few more good one's aswell.

There all expect withing the first quater of 07 :)

Homesrfan
27-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Super Paper Mario
Mario Strikers Charged
Donkey kong jungle beat
Metroid
There's a few more good one's aswell.

There all expect withing the first quater of 07 :)
Q1 is coming to a close.
Don't expect MSC until Q3 and I'm not expecting Metroid until Q4 or Q1 of '08.
Donkey Kong Jungle beat I can care less about. Although Mario is supposed to come in '07. It's been confirmed by Nintendo @ GDC. And Super Paper Mario is coming out soon. But Nintendo needs more games that can appear to casuals as well as hardcores. Kind of like Wii Sports. If Wii Sports would have had online, it would have been amazing.

PaulMacC
27-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Q1 is coming to a close.
Don't expect MSC until Q3 and I'm not expecting Metroid until Q4 or Q1 of '08.
Donkey Kong Jungle beat I can care less about. Although Mario is supposed to come in '07. It's been confirmed by Nintendo @ GDC. And Super Paper Mario is coming out soon. But Nintendo needs more games that can appear to casuals as well as hardcores. Kind of like Wii Sports. If Wii Sports would have had online, it would have been amazing.

Okay Early Q2 Games then.

Metroid is expected in late May.
Pokémon Battle Revolution is expected (confirmed) in June.
Mario Striker's Charged is (confirmed) in May
Mario Party 8 is is confirmed in May
Donkey Kongle Jungle Beat is expected in Late Q2
Metroid is expected late June/July
I'm taking these from Wikipedia (http://habboxforum.com/Wikipedia.org)

Mario Party 8 Should sell alot.

Demynx
27-03-2007, 09:57 PM
The Wii sold 4 million world-wide. Sony: 1-2 milllion.

PS: I didn't add XBox 360 because of the year start

PS2: I have one.

PaulMacC
27-03-2007, 10:12 PM
The Wii's on 5 Mil now and sony's on 2 mil.
Xbox's been out 1 year now and it's on 10 Mil.

Wii - 4-5 Months
PS3 - 6 Months (USA) 4 Day's (UK)
Xbox - 1 Year (Worldwide)

All the fanboi's have gotten there PS3's.

Watch the sales.

Homesrfan
27-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Okay Early Q2 Games then.

Metroid is expected in late May.
Pokémon Battle Revolution is expected (confirmed) in June.
Mario Striker's Charged is (confirmed) in May
Mario Party 8 is is confirmed in May
Donkey Kongle Jungle Beat is expected in Late Q2
Metroid is expected late June/July
I'm taking these from Wikipedia (http://habboxforum.com/Wikipedia.org)

Mario Party 8 Should sell alot.
Do NOT take ANYTHING from Wikipedia about games.
If MSC comes in May, that means no online, which I'm pretty sure Nintendo has confirmed, so that date is not right. PBR is coming in June. Metroid, however is definitely not coming in May. PBR is the FIRST game online. I expect Metroid to have online and Reggie said himself that they are perfecting the game.

GommeInc
28-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm not surprised. There are loads of PS3s for sale. The Wii went out of stock fast thus meaning that they couldn't sell more.

I've just read some peoples rants on fanboys... Being a fanboy is when you make blind accusations on a console and it's games, NOT when you have an opinion. My opinion on PS3 or any Sony console is that the games are mainly shoot 'em ups and racing games that are repetitive and boring. With a Wii and I think Xbox 360 aswell, you actually get a wide range of games and ways to play them. Mainly with the Wii though, because I haven't properly looked into Xbox games. The SIXAXIS PS3 controllers 'supposedly' are not as accurate as a Wiis and are below 300 degrees, while a Wiis is 356 degrees. This is fact, which means I am not being a fanboy "/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!