PDA

View Full Version : Should drugs be made legal? - [Closes 14/05/07]

---MAD---
14-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Should drugs be made legal? In the Netherlands most (if not all) drugs are made legal. Far fewer people there take drugs than people in the UK due to it being illegal there (and nearly all places in the world).

Enjoy debating :).

chineseartist
14-04-2007, 03:51 PM
no what s illy thing

Disento
14-04-2007, 03:53 PM
NO they are vile.

chineseartist
14-04-2007, 03:53 PM
i wud get high evrday

raspberrys
14-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Pot should be - it goes out of the system in a few weeks and you dont have the NEED for it.

DCeption
14-04-2007, 04:10 PM
yes let all the half brains who decided to take them waste their life.

yes to releif pain

No because other people may come of harm due to the idiots taking them.

Jazza
14-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Some should, all class C drugs should be and some class B drugs

The Professor
14-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I believe the Uk is nicknamed the Welfare state. Would we keep that reputation if we let people kill themselves? And I can imagine the childrens TV adverts now, between episodes of spongebob squarepants:

"Have you tried new CILLIT CRACK?"

chineseartist
14-04-2007, 04:14 PM
im smoking a ****** right now

brandon
14-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah, drugs should be made legal along with gun crime and murder.

Crono
14-04-2007, 04:15 PM
I think marijuana should be legalized everywhere.

1 - Marijuana isn't as unhealthy as tobacco, and yet tobacco is legal everywhere. There's no PROOF that marijuana causes cancer. I'm not saying it's completely healthy for you but the good outweighs the bad. Marijuana can actually improve you if it's not overused and done in moderation. It makes you more creative and see the world from a different perspective. It also relieves physical (and emotional for some) pain, which is why medical marijuana is legal in about 12 states in the U.S.

2 - Alcohol is a lot worse than marijuana. Alcohol causes way more accidents than pot does, and alcohol makes you a much more reckless driver than pot does. Marijuana typically slows you down, meaning most who made the poor choice of operating a vehicle after taking it would probably just drive really slow, and possibly run a stop sign or a red light. They'd be less likely to swurve off the road into the ditch, or into the wrong lane and hit another car. Also, when people drink too much alcohol they get really sick, or they can even die from alcohol poisoning. The only way you could die from marijuana is if you did something really dangerous, or smoked hundreds or thousands of pounds, which is almost impossible to get ahold of unless you're growing a gigantic field of it. Even then, most people probably wouldn't be able to smoke that much before they fell asleep or something. If you smoke too much marijuana however, you either fall asleep or you can actually become sober.

3 - Governments could make a lot of money off of marijuana. I don't understand a lot of that stuff but if they did legalize it they could make a ton of money from selling it legally. They would also be able to focus on the REAL criminals such as murderers, rapists, bank robbers, etc. instead of overcrowding jails with people who had some pot on them.

4 - Marijuana isn't a gateway drug, regardless of what you've heard. Yeah some people move onto harder drugs but a large majority of the people who do smoke pot just stick with that. It also isn't addictive, meaning you don't get physical symptoms from not having it. You may want it really really bad and go entirely out of your way to get it, but it's nowhere near as bad as meth, heroin, crack, cocaine, prescription pills, etc.

All in all, nothing really bad could come out of legalizing marijuana. Some people would switch from cigarettes and/or alcohol to pot, thus decreasing a lot of unwanted deaths.

As a side note, I don't think other drugs should be legal.

Jazza
14-04-2007, 04:16 PM
im smoking a ****** right now

sure you are :rolleyes:

If drugs are legalised it means government can tax them so they could make money from it

Nixt
14-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I will never smoke drugs, however I think some of the more minor Class C drugs should be legalised; and if people decide to abuse them then that's their problem.
I certainly don't think any Class B or A drugs should be made legal, they are far too dangerous.

Jinxey
14-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Naw way, Drugs are illegal for a reason, why would they go around schools telling teenagers not to take drugs and making them aware of what drugs do if they are going to make it legal? Don't see it happening if they have spent all that money telling people not to.

chineseartist
14-04-2007, 04:17 PM
sure you are :rolleyes:

If drugs are legalised it means government can tax them so they could make money from it

dont go off topic -rep i think it shud so i can get weed everyday and smoke for every hour of the day it would be heaven

benjamin
14-04-2007, 04:18 PM
YER THEN I CAN SIT IN THE STREET WID MA BONG.

Edited by ---MAD--- (Forum Administrator): Please do not post inappropriate comments.

---MAD---
14-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Well the thing is, drugs are sold behind the police and government's back so they don't make any money out of it unlike smoking cigarettes.

The Professor
14-04-2007, 04:19 PM

1 - Marijuana isn't as unhealthy as tobacco, and yet tobacco is legal everywhere. There's no PROOF that marijuana causes cancer. I'm not saying it's completely healthy for you but the good outweighs the bad. Marijuana can actually improve you if it's not overused and done in moderation. It makes you more creative and see the world from a different perspective. It also relieves physical (and emotional for some) pain, which is why medical marijuana is legal in about 12 states in the U.S.

2 - Alcohol is a lot worse than marijuana. Alcohol causes way more accidents than pot does, and alcohol makes you a much more reckless driver than pot does. Marijuana typically slows you down, meaning most who made the poor choice of operating a vehicle after taking it would probably just drive really slow, and possibly run a stop sign or a red light. They'd be less likely to swurve off the road into the ditch, or into the wrong lane and hit another car. Also, when people drink too much alcohol they get really sick, or they can even die from alcohol poisoning. The only way you could die from marijuana is if you did something really dangerous, or smoked hundreds or thousands of pounds, which is almost impossible to get ahold of unless you're growing a gigantic field of it. Even then, most people probably wouldn't be able to smoke that much before they fell asleep or something. If you smoke too much marijuana however, you either fall asleep or you can actually become sober.

3 - Governments could make a lot of money off of marijuana. I don't understand a lot of that stuff but if they did legalize it they could make a ton of money from selling it legally. They would also be able to focus on the REAL criminals such as murderers, rapists, bank robbers, etc. instead of overcrowding jails with people who had some pot on them.

All in all, nothing really bad could come out of legalizing marijuana. Some people would switch from cigarettes and/or alcohol to pot, thus decreasing a lot of unwanted deaths.

Meanwhile those drivers would become paranoid about trivial things such as cars on the other side of the road hitting them, and would therefore swerve into the nearest building on the left. From what I've heard cannabis makes you more disorientated and "high" than tobacco and is more of a depressant, which slows down reactions, which contrary to what you say ISNT a good thing while driving. Instead of the car bring driven more slowly, the likelihood is that the car will be driven at the same speed and the driver will crash due to delayed reactions.

Crono
14-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Meanwhile those drivers would become paranoid about trivial things such as cars on the other side of the road hitting them, and would therefore swerve into the nearest building on the left. From what I've heard cannabis makes you more disorientated and "high" than tobacco and is more of a depressant, which slows down reactions, which contrary to what you say ISNT a good thing while driving. Instead of the car bring driven more slowly, the likelihood is that the car will be driven at the same speed and the driver will crash due to delayed reactions.

I'm not saying it's a GOOD thing, but it's a lot better than swerving all over the road because you're drunk. The people who are dumb enough to drive drunk are the same people who would drive high. Driving high ISN'T a good idea, but it's not as dangerous as driving drunk. People who use their brains know it's bad to drive while intoxicated.

Jazza
14-04-2007, 04:23 PM
dont go off topic -rep i think it shud so i can get weed everyday and smoke for every hour of the day it would be heaven

How was I going off topic, also you have 0 rep power.

The thing about legalising drugs is we would need to conside the extra costs of drug related deaths and injuries, as this is a free healthcare state it could be very costly unless they were heavily taxxed. That is why cigarettes are so heavily taxed, the cost near nothing to make but it costs the NHS loads of money every year in hospital bills. This idea would be much more suited to somewhere where you have to pay for healthcare like America.

Nixt
14-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Well the thing is, drugs are sold behind the police and government's back so they don't make any money out of it unlike smoking cigarettes.

Nevertheless, a lot of Class A & B Drugs are highly damaging and the legalisation of such drugs would incite many, as well as increase the number of drug related illnesses and deaths because everything would be easy access.

The Professor
14-04-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm not saying it's a GOOD thing, but it's a lot better than swerving all over the road because you're drunk. The people who are dumb enough to drive drunk are the same people who would drive high. Driving high ISN'T a good idea, but it's not as dangerous as driving drunk. People who use their brains know it's bad to drive while intoxicated.

I wouldnt say either is better than the other because they both have the same overall effect: they are depressants and slow down your reactions.

For the record I have never been drunk or taken cannabis, or any other illegal drug for that matter

benjamin
14-04-2007, 04:28 PM
YER THEN I CAN SIT IN THE STREET WID MA BONG.

Edited by ---MAD--- (Forum Administrator): Please do not post inappropriate comments.

I FAIL TO SEE THE LOGIC HOW YOU DEEM THAT AS AN IMAPPROPRIATE COMMENT.

however; they shouldn't be legalised.

RedStratocas
14-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Yes, at least marijuana should be. No one has died from marijuana, millions have died from tobacco and alcohol, it makes no sense. What people do in the privacy of their home is their business.

Crono
14-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I wouldnt say either is better than the other because they both have the same overall effect: they are depressants and slow down your reactions.

For the record I have never been drunk or taken cannabis, or any other illegal drug for that matter

Correct, it is a depressant and it's not wise to drive while under the influence of alcohol or marijuana. But, alcohol is legal and yet it has the same, if not a worse effect, as marijuana. Yeah there'd probably be some deaths related to it, but nowhere near as many as alcohol causes. Surely there'd be a law in place restricting driving while under the influence of marijuana as there is with alcohol. It's actually a lot easier to drive high than it is to drive drunk as far as I know. I've been in a car with both drunk (not incredibly drunk, but still drunk) and high drivers. I can tell the difference. Drunk drivers are a lot more reckless and it's harder for them to drive straight, whereas the high drivers I've been with drive the same as when they're sober.

T0M
14-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Some drugs should be made legal, but class A ones i think should still be illegal

Mr.OSH
14-04-2007, 04:37 PM
No it just encourages crime and early death rates to climb it is not a good idea at all. :(

Crono
14-04-2007, 04:40 PM
No it just encourages crime and early death rates to climb it is not a good idea at all. :(

Not necessarily. A lot of the crimes related to drugs are when people are trying to get them from dealers. I don't think any currently illegal drugs other than marijuana should be legalized, but if it was they would surely have their own buildings and companies for selling them, and people wouldn't get in fights or shot over drugs because it'd be available anytime.

---MOHAMMAD---
14-04-2007, 04:42 PM
yes, here in iraq it easy to get good drug

Zephonim
14-04-2007, 04:42 PM
As a serious debate topic and not just a yes or no answer I will delve deeper into this and present a real argument.

A Drug is any substance that in small amounts produces siginificant changes in the body, mind or both

-- Andrew Meil, M.D.

Drugs come in all shape's and sizes, many of them aid as humans medically, this debate is obviously about currently illegal drugs that are used for recreational purposes, however in this argument I will touch over the fact that some recreational drugs can be used for medical purposes.

Many people see all drugs as hugely dangerous things, commonly lethal, this is, simply untrue. I will not deny there are extremely dangerous drugs out these, however there are drugs out there where it is almost impossible to over dose. It is a common myth used by the people come round schools speaking of the dangers of drugs to say that anything can pretty much kill you, whilst drugs such as Heroin, Methadone, DMT and Opiates in general are easy to over dose on, others are near on impossible.

Cannabis, the most commonly taken (illegal) drug in the world is near on impossible to overdose on, with no deaths ever being recorded from an overdose of Cannabis.

LSD, unless you manufacture your own is very very unlikely that you even come close to overdosing on this stuff, the LD-50 of LSD is 12,000 Micrograms, which is up to 240 times the normal dose. Unless you are buying enough trips to last you a few years, and then get hungry to much on paper, I seriously doubt you will die from this drug.

Mushrooms, another similar story, as long as you eat the right damn things and not a poisonous relative, you can munch on these all day long if you want, you won't die but will have an extremely over the top intense trip that would likely freak you out, you won't die, but it won't be pleasant.

Now, if we are talking legalization, of which we are, I do not deny that some drugs should remain illegal, or at least controlled and then slowly ween those who are addicted off of these beasts. But the 3 drugs I listed, and others, such as PURE MDMA (Ecstasy) should be legalised, after all, all our government is going to do is tax them anyway, meaning that the government will make money whilst securing the safest possible drugs for users.

Humans will continue to use drugs whilst we are still in existence, and therefore forcing them into a blackmarket is pointless, many people in high places smoke cannabis, it is a fact, and it is pointless for them too hide such hobbies, a huge percentage of the world population smokes Cannabis.

Cannabis in itself is a much better drug than Alchohol, Alchohol makes people aggressive, and leads people to rash judgements, where as Cannabis invokes great though, after smoking it you can realise how everything works as one, you understand great philosophical problems and some of the greatest thinkers of the world have had their inspiration from smoking Cannabis. It does not make you aggressive, it makes you calm, relaxed and happy.

I have many more points to fire out, however, I have other things to do, so I will return shortly and perhaps fight it out against the doubters replying to me.

- Zephonim

The Professor
14-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Correct, it is a depressant and it's not wise to drive while under the influence of alcohol or marijuana. But, alcohol is legal and yet it has the same, if not a worse effect, as marijuana. Yeah there'd probably be some deaths related to it, but nowhere near as many as alcohol causes. Surely there'd be a law in place restricting driving while under the influence of marijuana as there is with alcohol. It's actually a lot easier to drive high than it is to drive drunk as far as I know. I've been in a car with both drunk (not incredibly drunk, but still drunk) and high drivers. I can tell the difference. Drunk drivers are a lot more reckless and it's harder for them to drive straight, whereas the high drivers I've been with drive the same as when they're sober.

Agreed with the first sentence.

I think alcohol is legal where cannabis isnt because it takes a lot more alcohol to have a real psychological effect on you, whereas a comparitively small amount of cannabis and youre off on Mars somewhere.

There isnt a law against driving while on cannabis because cannabis is illegal anyway, so not driving while on it goes without saying. You'd still be prosecuted for dangerous driving anywho

Crono
14-04-2007, 04:54 PM

I think alcohol is legal where cannabis isnt because it takes a lot more alcohol to have a real psychological effect on you, whereas a comparitively small amount of cannabis and youre off on Mars somewhere.

There isnt a law against driving while on cannabis because cannabis is illegal anyway, so not driving while on it goes without saying. You'd still be prosecuted for dangerous driving anywho

Have you tried weed? It doesn't send you off to Mars or mess you up a lot. Yeah it alters your mind but it doesn't take you to another world. You're still there, just thinking differently and as someone said just recently, makes you put more thought into things. It is illegal to drive under the influence of cannabis. Just because it's not legal most places doesn't mean there isn't a law against driving while on it. It's illegal to have it on you and have it in your car, and obviously driving while on it. The fact that it takes a lot less marijuana to get an affect out of it means people wouldn't overdo it as much as they drink too much alcohol, which is really dangerous.

Zephonim
14-04-2007, 04:58 PM

The problem with this argument Alex is, that although you only need a small amount of Cannabis to be affected, there is a certain threshold where, if you smoke any more, you really aren't going to get any more of an affect, where as, if you drink and drink and drink, you are going down.

After smoking you have ALOT more control over your body then when you are drunk.

The Professor
14-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Have you tried weed? It doesn't send you off to Mars or mess you up a lot. Yeah it alters your mind but it doesn't take you to another world. You're still there, just thinking differently and as someone said just recently, makes you put more thought into things. It is illegal to drive under the influence of cannabis. Just because it's not legal most places doesn't mean there isn't a law against driving while on it. It's illegal to have it on you and have it in your car. The fact that it takes a lot less marijuana to get an affect out of it means people wouldn't overdo it as much as they drink too much alcohol, which is really dangerous.

No, and I dont intend to. I was just trying to find a psudonym for "getting high" because it sounds too informal :P And im too tired to read the rest and make sense out of it, so Ill stop there :P +rep for being able to argue properly :)

The problem with this argument Alex is, that although you only need a small amount of Cannabis to be affected, there is a certain threshold where, if you smoke any more, you really aren't going to get any more of an affect, where as, if you drink and drink and drink, you are going down.

After smoking you have ALOT more control over your body then when you are drunk.

Ooh steve wants a dig at me now :P
That threshold also exists with alcohol. Its called being so out of your skull that youre unconcious :P

Ashhizzle
14-04-2007, 05:03 PM
LIRL!

Drugs ftw :eusa_danc

Zephonim
14-04-2007, 05:07 PM
No, and I dont intend to. I was just trying to find a psudonym for "getting high" because it sounds too informal :P And im too tired to read the rest and make sense out of it, so Ill stop there :P +rep for being able to argue properly :)

Ooh steve wants a dig at me now :P
That threshold also exists with alcohol. Its called being so out of your skull that youre unconcious :P

Aye,

My argument still maintains, it is extremely rare to blackout from cannabis ;)

Ashhizzle
14-04-2007, 06:09 PM
everybody loves a toke of mary j, so they shouodl be limited imo

Camy
14-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I think, the ones you inject shud stay illegal, and some of the tablets, but I see no problem in legallizing a medicinal drug, such as marijuana, if ppl want to get high y stop them its their choice ;)
Btw the only thing i wud ever touch if i had to wud be weed ;)

Black_Apalachi
14-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Should drugs be made legal? In the Netherlands most (if not all) drugs are made legal. Far fewer people there take drugs than people in the UK due to it being illegal there (and nearly all places in the world).

Enjoy debating :).

So more people take drugs here purely because they are illegal? :S

Grace.
14-04-2007, 06:36 PM

4 - Marijuana isn't a gateway drug, regardless of what you've heard. Yeah some people move onto harder drugs but a large majority of the people who do smoke pot just stick with that. It also isn't addictive, meaning you don't get physical symptoms from not having it. You may want it really really bad and go entirely out of your way to get it, but it's nowhere near as bad as meth, heroin, crack, cocaine, prescription pills, etc.

As a side note, I don't think other drugs should be legal.

Right sorry but many of your points are invalid -.-

1- You say marijuana isn't as unhealthy of tobacco but it can contain tobacco and it is addictive in the form that if a smoker is upset they will continue you take it to blot out the "pain". There is different types of addiction.

2 -Again an invalid point. Yea it is dangerous and yea so is alcohol but it has different effects on different people. If a person already has a slight mental problem that has gone undected for year if they are on marijuana and havent had some for a while then their temper can just "explode". Also yes alcohol itself can kill you but so can marijuana but in a different context, if the user is very depressed it can infact cause the user to kill themselves - whatever that way may be whether it is bringing other people with them. Oh and another point, it doesn't slow you down as in being slow it slows your reactions. The car would be a normal speed, the reactions wouldnt

3 - You'll find you dont get jailed for having pot on you but you get a warning, if you get caught a second time you would most likely get a suspended sentence. They do this to stop the dealers as the dealers don't just deal marijuana. Oh and so what if the government can make money? They seem to get enough off us any way.

4 - Marijuana is a gateway drug. Many people use it for years and get used to the "buzz" thus moving onto "heavier" stuff. Also like i've said marijuana does normally contain nicotine which is addictive - making marijuana addictive.

5 - Nothing good would come out of legalising it either. Its illegal for a reason. I know many police and they say the worst thing the government ever did was downgrade pot.

CJ-real
14-04-2007, 06:36 PM
You should be allowed to do anything to yourself, and your stuff, as long as it does not:

1). Harm other people
2). Damage other people's posessions.

So if you want to smoke inside your house, where other's can't see the smoke. You can.

-:Undertaker:-
14-04-2007, 06:41 PM
No as Cigarettes don't make people go off their heads, and Beer is more moderated and safe.

Lock all druggies up ASAP I say.

Energizer
14-04-2007, 06:48 PM
no they shouldn't.

GommeInc
14-04-2007, 07:09 PM
It's too late to introduce drugs legally. If they make them legal, there will be a few years of high drug intakes across youths, because the idea of drugs being legal to the inferior, brain dead Britons *glares at chav extremists* would make them go crazy for a couple of years, then after they're dead, it may die out, if they keep it legal that is "/

Crono
14-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Right sorry but many of your points are invalid -.-

1- You say marijuana isn't as unhealthy of tobacco but it can contain tobacco and it is addictive in the form that if a smoker is upset they will continue you take it to blot out the "pain". There is different types of addiction.

2 -Again an invalid point. Yea it is dangerous and yea so is alcohol but it has different effects on different people. If a person already has a slight mental problem that has gone undected for year if they are on marijuana and havent had some for a while then their temper can just "explode". Also yes alcohol itself can kill you but so can marijuana but in a different context, if the user is very depressed it can infact cause the user to kill themselves - whatever that way may be whether it is bringing other people with them. Oh and another point, it doesn't slow you down as in being slow it slows your reactions. The car would be a normal speed, the reactions wouldnt

3 - You'll find you dont get jailed for having pot on you but you get a warning, if you get caught a second time you would most likely get a suspended sentence. They do this to stop the dealers as the dealers don't just deal marijuana. Oh and so what if the government can make money? They seem to get enough off us any way.

4 - Marijuana is a gateway drug. Many people use it for years and get used to the "buzz" thus moving onto "heavier" stuff. Also like i've said marijuana does normally contain nicotine which is addictive - making marijuana addictive.

5 - Nothing good would come out of legalising it either. Its illegal for a reason. I know many police and they say the worst thing the government ever did was downgrade pot.

1 - It generally isn't as unhealthy as tobacco. Everyone knows tobacco causes cancer, but there isn't any proof that marijuana causes it too. Bob Marley died of cancer because he smoked spliffs; 50% tobacco, 50% weed. As for the rest of what you said on that part I don't understand what you're getting at.

2 - So you're saying people who drink a lot of alcohol don't "explode" and kill themselves? Alcohol makes a lot of people depressed and sad, more than people who smoke weed do. "If a person already has a slight mental problem that has gone undected for year if they are on marijuana and havent had some for a while then their temper can just "explode"." That really makes no sense at all. I personally have NEVER heard of anybody killing themselves because they haven't had marijuana in a while. Maybe somebody who's into harder drugs, but not pot smokers. You really make it sound like marijuana is the worst thing in the world, but people who have tried it know it's not a huge deal. You feel good, refreshed, and have an open mind for a couple hours or so and you're back to normal. You don't go crazy and kill yourself or other people. Find me a story of someone who killed themselves or someone else because they didn't have weed and I'll believe you. Ask someone you know who smokes pot if they get depressed and sad when they're on it, or want to kill themselves when they don't have any. Having tried pot several times, I know for a fact that pot does not make you suicidal or depressed. Alcohol is a whole other story.

3 - That actually depends on how nice the cop is. Yeah, you're right, a lot of people get off with a warning. I was actually at a party a couple weeks ago and some girl got in the car we were using and she smoked with me and my friends. She left it in the back of the far and when the cops showed up they searched all the cars and found it. He didn't even say anything about it until me and my friend were about to leave, and he didn't say anything.

Huh? They give warnings to people who have pot to stop dealers? And just because someone sells pot doesn't mean they sell other drugs. I know of quite a few people who sell pot and none of them sell anything else.

And the fact that the government could make more money isn't a big deal, just another advantage. Also, what's a "suspended sentence"?

4 - Are you just coming up with this stuff out of nowhere? Marijuana doesn't contain nicotine unless you mix it with tobacco. Marijuana isn't addictive because you don't get physical symptoms from not having it. If meth addicts don't have meth for a while they go through WITHDRAWAL where their body needs the drug to function normally because they're so used to it. Pot smokers don't go through withdrawal, and their bodies don't need it. I know a lot of people who are able to take months off of smoking pot without much of a problem. Just because they want it doesn't mean they're addicted to it.

As for the gateway drug thing, yes, some people move onto harder drugs. For the most part, they don't. Just because they get used to weed doesn't mean they automatically move onto heroin. My grandmother has been smoking pot for at least 40 years and still gets the same affect out of it, so unfortunately on that bit, you are wrong. And for the record, she hasn't smoked it in over a year. Yeah she liked to smoke it, but she didn't need it, which is why it was so easy for her to quit. She still smokes cigarettes. They can get used to the high, but this can be easily fixed by moving onto a better type of marijuana. If what you said about that was true, my grandmother would be a crazy crackhead by now.

5 - Yes, good things could come out of it. Re-read my first post with a more open mind. If it's illegal for a reason, why isn't alcohol illegal for that same reason? It's worse, and yet it's legal. And have those police tried marijuana? I'm sure if they have they would know it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. People who fight against it exaggerate the affects of it because they want to make it sound as bad as they possibly can so people won't try it. Not everything you read is the truth.

P.S. I did actual research on all the things I posted. If I didn't know what I was talking about I wouldn't have even bothered. I'm definitely NOT trying to start an argument, just a debate, but you should really read more about this before you tell me everything I said is wrong. I know what I'm talking about.

No as Cigarettes don't make people go off their heads, and Beer is more moderated and safe.

Beer/alcohol isn't more moderated; it takes a lot more alcohol to get drunk than it takes drugs to get high. It's safer than some drugs yes, but not all.

JoeyK.
14-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes.

If people want to use drugs recreationally, I don't see a problem with it. Of course, there should be limits put on it (ie minimum age, illegal to drive under the influence, etc). If people want to mess around once in a while, there's really nothing wrong with that.

Also, if drugs were legalized, it would raise a LOT of revenue in taxes for the countries involved, greatly decrease the price of these items to the consumers, and prevent loads of money going to crime lords in other countries.

Perhaps more fatal drugs such as Heroin, etc. should still be illegal, but personally I don't see anything wrong with legalizing marijuana... It's less harmful to your body than alcohol and cigarettes anyway.

Oh, & to undertaker- Who cares if people "go off their heads?" They're just having a bit of fun. Cigarettes give you cancer, which as I'm sure you probably know leads to death. And as to you comment about alcohol-- People can die from alcohol poisoning. It happens a lot. People don't die from marijuana OD's. It's a MUCH safer drug. In any case, people who drink alcohol are also "druggies." Alcohol is a drug, is it not?

Grace-

Yes, the governments sure make enough money! The fact that, for example, the United States is, at the time of this post, exactly $8,887,397,914,305.63 in debt and losing an additional $1.93 billion per day ( http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/ ) means they're quite clearly getting enough money from the people. Taxes from this may not get rid of a large chunk of that, but it is a large amount of possible revenue they're missing out on.

In short, we live in free countries, we should have the freedom to choose what we want to do. Unless it affects others, you should be able to do to your body whatever you want to do. If you're smoking weed in your house with no one around, is there REALLY a problem with that? Is there REALLY a problem with getting a few friends over & getting stoned? No, it doesn't affect anyone but the people doing it.

Blue
14-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Im just thinking, if we made drugs leagal, many more people would take them (duh) and many more would die from them, so in retrospect we are killing off the people stupid enough to do drugs, almost like a willing holocaust...

Tash.
14-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I think that Class C drugs such as Cannabis should be made available to sufferers of things like athritis because it's been proven that it helps to ease the pain. However, Class A and B drugs are just way too dangerous to be made legal. It's already quite apparent that those who use them are effectively killing themselves & with the government imposing many rules on cigarettes to combat their effects, it'd be a step back. Not to mention that the majority of those who already use the drugs illegally are the ones causing trouble in this country.

GommeInc
14-04-2007, 07:24 PM
I think that Class C drugs such as Cannabis should be made available to sufferers of things like athritis because it's been proven that it helps to ease the pain. However, Class A and B drugs are just way too dangerous to be made legal. It's already quite apparent that those who use them are effectively killing themselves & with the government imposing many rules on cigarettes to combat their effects, it'd be a step back. Not to mention that the majority of those who already use the drugs illegally are the ones causing trouble in this country.
I 100% agree with your post :)

Class C drugs may possibly be made legal, but Class A and B drugs are just far too harmful to legalise.

ScottDiamond
14-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Do you just get bored of thinking of debates? What a stupid topic to debate.

ScottDiamond
14-04-2007, 07:33 PM

Cannibis is allowed if it's personal use...

Edited by Nick- (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not double post.

Crono
14-04-2007, 07:38 PM

I'm not sure about the UK but in the U.S. only 13 states have legalized it for medical use, and in order to get that you have to go to the doctor and be approved for it. Meaning you have to have a lot of physical pain.

The states that have medical marijuana legalized are Washington, Oregon, Montana, Nevada, California, Alaska (and in Alaska people can grow it in their own home and use it in their home legally), New Mexico, Hawaii, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, and Maryland. I know that doesn't mean a lot considering most of the people on here are from the UK.

(This post wasn't meant to be a differeing opinion from yours, just throwing some facts out there.)

ScottDiamond
14-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure about the UK but in the U.S. only 13 states have legalized it for medical use, and in order to get that you have to go to the doctor and be approved for it. Meaning you have to have a lot of physical pain.

The states that have medical marijuana legalized are Washington, Oregon, Montana, Nevada, California, Alaska (and in Alaska people can grow it in their own home and use it in their home legally), New Mexico, Hawaii, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, and Maryland. I know that doesn't mean a lot considering most of the people on here are from the UK.

(This post wasn't meant to be a differeing opinion from yours, just throwing some facts out there.)

It's legal in the UK for personal use :) You may not have large quantites or intent to sell. ;)

Crono
14-04-2007, 08:05 PM
It's legal in the UK for personal use :) You may not have large quantites or intent to sell. ;)

Oh okay. I wasn't aware of that.

Caution
14-04-2007, 08:08 PM
considering it kills lots of people, no.

Tash.
14-04-2007, 08:29 PM

As far as I know that's not true.. i've heard of people being threatened with a variety of things for possessing it. For example - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6489907.stm - and to back up my point she has even had an MP supporting her plight to get it legalised.

Also, something else I found - a publication from the House of Lords which gives details on whether you're allowed to posses cannabis is here (http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199798/ldselect/ldsctech/151/15106.htm#a5). It's long so in case you can't be bothered to read it (I wouldn't blame you, its extremely tedious) i'll copy a small part of the main point it makes.

Today in the United Kingdom, medical use of cannabis itself is illegal but quite widespread. According to the BMA report, "many normally law-abiding citizens—probably many thousands in the developed world" use cannabis illegally for therapy. Most such users smoke their cannabis, but some take it by mouth. The UK Alliance for Cannabis Therapeutics (ACT) know of 200 people in the United Kingdom who have used cannabis for MS; 53 took part in a recent study of perceived effects of smoked cannabis. Clare Hodges writes, "It is impossible to know how many people with MS use cannabis...My impression is that most people with MS do not". A Multiple Sclerosis Society survey produced a figure of one per cent; but the Society believe the true figure to be higher.

Zephonim
14-04-2007, 08:58 PM

No it's not?

RedStratocas
14-04-2007, 09:20 PM

Beer isnt moderated at all. There are hundreds of drunk driving accidents in the each year, people cant control themselves at all.

Thrie
14-04-2007, 09:47 PM
i don't know how the people who have not experienced the effects of the substances you are talking about can even post anything here..

Professor-Alex, you say you haven't drank or smoked before, i don't see how you had any right to debate with crono on the topic the way you have then, i know the guy personally...plus you say you havn't done anything, so then how the hell do you know that they are practically the same effect. which imo they aren't even close. Plus, the whole mars thing....what?

i agree that the hard drugs should be illegal, and even in some areas marijuana should be regulated differently. but over all i would say marijuana should be legalized.

as a personal note...people who try to argue the topic of drugs and know absolutely nothing about it makes me really indignant

ScottDiamond
14-04-2007, 09:52 PM
No it's not?

Study the law with drugs then come back to me and tell me it's not.

Nixt
14-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Study the law with drugs then come back to me and tell me it's not.

Possession of Class C Drugs: "Up to two years in prison or an unlimited fine or both."
The misuse of drugs act states that it is an offence to: Possess a controlled substance unlawfully.

It is against the law, whatever you intend to use it for :S

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/drugs/drugs-law/Class-a-b-c/

Mentor
15-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Not all drugs although the rateings should be changed, many class C drugs are far more dangerous than some class A and B drugs. And smokeing, which is legal is one of the worst of all. I belive it was reported if drugs were classifed by how dangerous they are smokeing/nicotean would be class A?
The whole drug classifcations dont really make alot of sence at the moment, and many would be far better being put back to there orignal perscription status, for example herowin, a powerful painkiller when legal i belive it was freely avaible over the counter from chemists, had very few users. Once illgal that shot up.
It costs the goverment money to inforce laws against drugs, the goverment makes money from tax on drugs when there legal.
Most drugs are also safer legal, since theres much less risk of them being cut with something dangerous, which is useally what kills people as opposed to the actual drugs themselves in those incidents.
So there is quite a good case for legalistion "/

Blasted105
15-04-2007, 10:18 AM
No drugs should be made legal as everyone would be trying it and it just recks your health and body whats the point your just mad to take it.

Grindie
17-04-2007, 05:33 PM
this is actually the stupidest debate ever. I'm sure we all get some sort of drugs education in our life and we find out the affects of them, so we all know whats going on and why they're not legalised. Only a fool would say 'yes, legalise all drugs'

Perhaps another debate 'should CANNABIS be legalised in the UK', then the people for it might have abit more of an arguement than 'yea i'd get high everyday'

Kardan
17-04-2007, 05:34 PM
My opinion: No.

:Liam
17-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes if they're prescribed for medical reasons such as syatica(Sp?) But not for the sake of takeing them

lAdmire
19-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Okay. Lol. If Brandon was being sarcastic, I agree. Why would drugs be made legal? Omg. If it's gonna kill people then why would it be made legal? You basically just told the world go kill yourself. You die faster than when you use the drugs.

Also, what is (sp?)

-Soph-
23-04-2007, 01:05 PM
class C yes.

I don't take any drugs except for alcohol, so it doesn't bother me.
tbh, i think if they were made legal then it would decrease use.
yeah at first there'd be a boost with people saying
"OMGZZ ITS LEGAL LETS GO GET HIGH EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK"

but that'd wear down, and tbh, I swear some people take drugs to look "bad", which wouldn't happen if they were legal.

JoeyK.
29-04-2007, 03:30 AM
No drugs should be made legal as everyone would be trying it and it just recks your health and body whats the point your just mad to take it.
Yet people are just hurting themselves, shouldn't people be allowed to do what they want as long as it only affects them? Again, there should be some restrictions (restricted to 18/21, no driving under the influence, etc), but overall, it shouldn't be a problem if people just want to do it themselves... People always tell me that it should be illegal because it could shorten your lifespan, etc. Well, in that case, fast foods should be made illegal because they contribute to obesity which can, in turn, cause death.

Governments shouldn't regulate things just because they can harm the person that WILLINGLY takes them, only if it interferes with the rights of others.

Nixon!
02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
sears used to sell heiroin injectors....
and its just another way of keeping control of your land
lsd in the water supply anyone?

Fonejacker
02-05-2007, 12:32 PM
weed and draw should be made legal don't care about the rest...

Foobar
15-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Why should they be made legal? Sure, it helps people relieve stress, but after it wears off there are drastic side effects and it sometimes just leads in to more stress.

:Hazel
16-05-2007, 11:33 AM
definately NOT. They can be dangerous.

Fonejacker
16-05-2007, 11:35 AM
definately NOT. They can be dangerous.
so can alcohol :D and these more alcohol problems than Drug abuse

Virgin Mary
17-05-2007, 10:46 AM
If people wanna do that to themselves why stop them? It just roots out the idiots and helps clean the gene pool really.

Imagine
17-05-2007, 11:37 PM
yeah, legalising drugs wont boost crime atall...

Shawnstra
18-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Yes - because people have a freedom to their selves

No- they might cause harm to people

.:Normal...
19-05-2007, 12:18 PM
To be honest, I think people should be able to do what they want, it's their life go ahead. I personally think if they legalized drugs there would be less teenagers doing it, simply because some like to do them just because it's illegal and they want to look 'bad' or 'cool' or 'like they don't care about anything'. But I do think if they legalized drugs they should educate more about what they do and how they affect you etcetc.

That's just my opinion, in general I think people should be able to do anything they want not only about drugs as long as it's not destructive to other people around them. But that's never going to happen, the government would never tolerate that :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!