PDA

View Full Version : Second Earth Discovered

Markage
26-04-2007, 06:31 AM
THE odds on discovery aliens have been slashed after a planet resembling Earth was found.

Scientists say the planet has conditions ideal for LIFE.
The new planet has captured the imagination of punters who have been requesting bets on life beyond earth.
Bookies Paddy Power have cuts the odds of finding alien life to 10/1

Astronomers say water could exist on the surface of the world and temperatures are between zero and 40°C.
It is one and a half times the size of our own planet and the discovery team say conditions are perfect for Earthlings.

It is 14 times closer to its star Gliese 581 than we are to the sun, but its star is much cooler.
A European team used a giant telescope on a mountain top at La Silla, Chile, to spot the planet — which is 20.5 light-years away in the constellation of Libra.

Scientist Xavier Delfosse said: “This planet will most probably be a very important target of the future space missions dedicated to the search for extra-terrestrial life.
“On the treasure map of the universe, one is tempted to mark this planet with an X.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007190141,00.html

$20 says when we get there, there will already be a McDonalds.

-:Undertaker:-
26-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I think there's life there.

It's just getting there which is the problem.

Breakfloor
26-04-2007, 02:47 PM
that made me depressed. i wont be alive when it happens and that ****ed me off.

velocity
26-04-2007, 02:48 PM
that made me depressed. i wont be alive when it happens and that ****ed me off.
alright, calm down.

Papershop
26-04-2007, 02:58 PM
OH No, they found out where we shipped our mad demented grandma too

velocity
26-04-2007, 02:59 PM
its light years away, light is faster then anything known to man, & its 20 light years away. think about it.

DiscoPat
26-04-2007, 03:38 PM
i laugh if there are humans like us, and like, have countries and schools etc, basicly like us.. And we comunictae and stuf, that would be weirdddddddd

VPSwow
26-04-2007, 03:42 PM
We talked about it in science. Apparently there is evidence of a dolphin there.

TwoFooted
26-04-2007, 03:42 PM
We should let all there people come here and put the terrorists and murderers and pedophiles on there and see how they cope with each other.
Then visit back 50 years later and see how they're coping.

Joemaphobe
26-04-2007, 07:22 PM
^^ 'cos you could check up in 50 years..

Swastika
26-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Would be cool if we all had a twin there.

DiscoPat
26-04-2007, 08:38 PM
lol, alow that ^^

Minstrels
27-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Funny if there all clones of us ie, another Tony Blair, David Beckham etc
And it's just like a mirror of us.

velocity
27-04-2007, 06:19 PM
i'll kill my clone self.

Ezzie.
27-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Funny if there all clones of us ie, another Tony Blair, David Beckham etc
And it's just like a mirror of us.

I like the futurama thing where they have multiple universes and they goto visit the edge of the universe and see their identicles staring at them from the other side :P

Concentric2
27-04-2007, 06:58 PM
We should let all there people come here and put the terrorists and murderers and pedophiles on there and see how they cope with each other.
Apart from they'd never get there because it'd take so long.

imo the planet doesn't need to have the same characteristics as Earth to support other life - what's to say the other life forms don't breathe different gases, eat different substances etc. In fact, what's to say they breathe or eat at all? In that case it's possible that any planet could have a life form suited to it living there.

velocity
27-04-2007, 06:59 PM

imo the planet doesn't need to have the same characteristics as Earth to support other life - what's to say the other life forms don't breathe different gases, eat different substances etc. In fact, what's to say they breathe or eat at all?
resperation.

Kieeran
27-04-2007, 08:12 PM
this is a crazy theory

But if there is a god. and this planet is decaying and wot not maybe gods delepoing a new planet for when this one dies out, as he is the "king of universe"

I dont believe in all tht i just think its a crazy theory

Breakfloor
27-04-2007, 08:14 PM

*Cough* australia *Cough*

Concentric2
27-04-2007, 08:52 PM
resperation.
sorry?

lew!
29-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Theres no pictures of the planet, hell they dont even know what it acutally really looks like. Its just that when theres a large object (metior / large planet) that orbits around a star - the star wobbles due to the gravity, so thats the only way they know that theres a planet, and it wobbles a certain amount that we can tell how far away it is, Theres a length in space away from a star that we call the life reigon, where water is a liquid and there is also earth, so humans could survive on planets in 'the life reigon'

So basicly: They dont know what the planet looks like, they can just tell theres a planet there because the star wobbles a bit whenever theres a planet close to a star. It wobbles a certain amount so we can tell that its far away enough to get heat from the sun and water is still a liquid, called the life reigon.

BL!NKEY
29-04-2007, 04:26 PM
We talked about it in science. Apparently there is evidence of a dolphin there.

Lol who decided this.

First off the animals there probably wont be like the same as animals on earth because they will evolve differently.

Maybe there is some animal that swims in the water but it is not a dolphin and there is no way to know now.

We havent taken pictures of this plannet and zoomed in on it to see a dolphin swimming in the water.

I dont understand what your science teacher was telling you about there being evidence of a dolphin.

Ashhizzle
29-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Lol who decided this.

First off the animals there probably wont be like the same as animals on earth because they will evolve differently.

Maybe there is some animal that swims in the water but it is not a dolphin and there is no way to know now.

We havent taken pictures of this plannet and zoomed in on it to see a dolphin swimming in the water.

I dont understand what your science teacher was telling you about there being evidence of a dolphin.

Mabye their science teach always talks a load of bull...

lew!
29-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Mabye their science teach always talks a load of bull...

mabye the science teacher isnt qualified...

HardcoreIzit
13-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Gaw thats weird. would be like a parallel world or something =|

Duck Hunt
26-05-2007, 04:40 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007190141,00.html

$20 says when we get there, there will already be a McDonalds.
-Points To McDonald Part-

GUARANTEED IF WE EVER GET THERE,THERE WILL ALREADY BE A MCDONALDS THERE
Was Found On Site You Gave
Cooooool

GommeInc
26-05-2007, 05:26 AM

imo the planet doesn't need to have the same characteristics as Earth to support other life - what's to say the other life forms don't breathe different gases, eat different substances etc. In fact, what's to say they breathe or eat at all? In that case it's possible that any planet could have a life form suited to it living there.
Considering water is made from H2O, the chances are very likely as another gas would mean that the chances of water are very low because there would be nothing for the hydrogen to mix with? It depends how certain they are it was water and not some other chemical made up of compounds possibly not existent on our planet.

It's an interesting find though, but nothing to get excited about, really.

Stitch
26-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I laughed at
10000/1 Elvis to be found living on Gliese 581c

Black_Apalachi
26-05-2007, 01:58 PM
mabye the science teacher isnt qualified...

Maybe there isn't a science teacher :P.

i laugh if there are humans like us, and like, have countries and schools etc, basicly like us.. And we comunictae and stuf, that would be weirdddddddd

I'd laugh if, compared to the dominant species on that planet, we were as intelligent as goldfish :).

Ashhizzle
26-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I've been there ye.

Sammeth.
27-05-2007, 01:37 AM
If there is a life form there, I bet their Big Brother shows are way better.

But in all seriousness I hope they find life on their. Its something that interests me greatly. How they might have evolved, how advanced are the race, do they have a dominant species - or is it full of bugs and stuff. Amazes me.

Jesus-Egg
27-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Just because the planet is a similar size and temperature to Earth doesn't mean that there will be life on it. It is very unlikely it will have a similar chemical composition to Earth. The planet could be like Venus, with a very high surface pressure, and with clouds of sulphuric acid, and could be full of toxic chemicals which would make it very difficult for life to form.

:Hazel
27-05-2007, 10:31 PM
oh well , i won't worry- i'll be dead.

oh im a ray of sunshine :D

Antallica
28-05-2007, 03:59 PM
If there is a life form there, I bet their Big Brother shows are way better.

i lol'ed.

@K
28-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Thinking about these kind of things **** me off, because I like science and I want to see proof of life, but I will be long dead before hand:(

BL!NKEY
28-05-2007, 06:50 PM
The chances of life being on that planet are small.

Remember the chances of life forming from no life on this planet was very small but it happened.

The chances of life happening somewhere else in the universe are large because the universe is huge. We may never encounter life on another planet but the same luck that we had on this planet to form life probably happened somewhere else.

PigsNose
28-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I heard that the planet's gravity is much stronger so the only kind of creatures they expect to be there are small bugs. I don't know though. It is fun wondering what would be there though, isn't it?

VPSwow
28-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Maybe they think their is life form on earth too and they wanna contact us.

How the earth was created confuses me.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!