PDA

View Full Version : serious or attention seeking?

-Soph-
30-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Right, one of my friends broke up with his girlfriend over the weekend.

And today at school, he wouldn't let anyone near him, he seemed really vacant, he wouldn't talk, and he kept on playing this song over and over on his phone all lunch whilst sitting by himself.

he also said on myspace that he was going to overdose and kill himself (on a bulletin..)

it sounds like hes after attention to me although i'm not sure.
what do you think?
i'm kinda worriedish.

sarey
01-05-2007, 07:58 AM
suicide should be taken seriously whatever the case, i'd just talk to him and tell him that you're worried, and that if he does do anything, you'd be hurt and stuff.

Shawnstra
01-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I think this is real. Talk to him, tell him that there are lots of better girls in this world, etc.

le harry
01-05-2007, 10:20 AM
tell him theres plenty more fish in the sea :)

Barkseh2131
01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
probz attention seeking..

people who say their going to kill thenselves for attention r saddddd!

Fall.
01-05-2007, 10:36 AM

And today at school, he wouldn't let anyone near him, he seemed really vacant, he wouldn't talk, and he kept on playing this song over and over on his phone all lunch whilst sitting by himself.

he also said on myspace that he was going to overdose and kill himself (on a bulletin..)

what do you think?
i'm kinda worriedish.
hes just trying to be emo.

Nixt
01-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Well it seems to me this is a cry for attention as he has posted a bulletin and therefore wants everyone to know these are his 'intentions', knowing he will get attention for this.
This does not mean that you shouldn't take this seriously because your friend is obviously in need of help as he is very upset and there is no way to be totally sure he isn't serious about suicide.
As said above it would be wise to talk to your friend and make sure he does not do what he says he is going to do. It would be wrong just to assume he wasn't serious and then ignore him, just in case.

probz attention seeking..

people who say their going to kill thenselves for attention r saddddd!

People who say it for attention are obviously in a situation that they can see no way out of. I think it's a little inconsiderate that you call them "sad" when they are clearly very upset to go very low and perhaps even consider suicide, even if this is simply in order to gain attention.

hes just trying to be emo.

I am not sure how that comment is at all constructive? She is clearly worried about her friend and it seems to me his is very low and commenting on some stupid stereotype you have of people that consider themselves 'emo' is hardly what she needs to hear.

beth
01-05-2007, 10:42 AM
people who usually post a bulletin are attention seeking usually, because suicide is pretty much sporadic, and people who truly want to kill themselves don't tell people because they want to go through with it before someone finds them & stops them.
however, i believe you should talk to him, perhaps arrange something with him to cheer him up {:

:Hazel
01-05-2007, 11:58 AM
i wouldnt assume he was attention seeking because although this is most probably the case, you never know... i'd talk to him if i were you or at least get someone else to if not.

-Soph-
01-05-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't really know what to do though, he won't let anyone near him.

beth
01-05-2007, 12:30 PM
have you tried calling him?

sarey
01-05-2007, 12:33 PM
reply to his post on myspace or message him on myspace about it?

-Soph-
01-05-2007, 12:42 PM
won't reply/pick up phone.

sarey
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
keep doing it. let him know you're there for him and won't give up.

+44
01-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Try going round his house? Send him texts / messages on myspace telling him how much you care. If all else fails try talkin with his parents see whts goin on at home.

Cwmbran
01-05-2007, 02:29 PM
You said he dumped his girlfriend, are you sure it was not the other way round?

It looks like he liked her alot, so why did he break up with her? You need to find that out if you don't already, if he did break up with her you need to be a bit firm with him tell him to stop being so stupid and there "is plenty more fish in the sea" but don't go so far that it will get you into an argument.
If that doesn't work then you should give him a few days to come around try to take his mind off of her, make it look like you don't really care

In my opinion he's just looking for attention.

Rizla,
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
The thing about being vacant can't blame him like if he really did like the girl, but sitting on his own and playing a song over and over is just plain sad and an obvious cry for attention. I'd tell him to cut "down the street, not across the road" and then give him a slap.

Aces
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
claiming to commit suicide is never something to do for attention, unless youre a total moron. In this case i think hes dead serious.

Barkseh2131
01-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Well it seems to me this is a cry for attention as he has posted a bulletin and therefore wants everyone to know these are his 'intentions', knowing he will get attention for this.
This does not mean that you shouldn't take this seriously because your friend is obviously in need of help as he is very upset and there is no way to be totally sure he isn't serious about suicide.
As said above it would be wise to talk to your friend and make sure he does not do what he says he is going to do. It would be wrong just to assume he wasn't serious and then ignore him, just in case.

People who say it for attention are obviously in a situation that they can see no way out of. I think it's a little inconsiderate that you call them "sad" when they are clearly very upset to go very low and perhaps even consider suicide, even if this is simply in order to gain attention.

I am not sure how that comment is at all constructive? She is clearly worried about her friend and it seems to me his is very low and commenting on some stupid stereotype you have of people that consider themselves 'emo' is hardly what she needs to hear.

inconsiderate?

their telling someone that their gona kill themselve for attention, that's sad if you ask me o.O

3d
01-05-2007, 05:35 PM
on a laughing matter sing him :

the streets - Dry your eyes mate

pmsl

no sorry on serious note suicide should be taken seriously but this is a bit of attention seeking how do i know? ive done it before :P NOT THE SUICIDE BIT just not talking to anyone and act all grumpy and look into thin air and look sad

DJCurto
01-05-2007, 06:08 PM
STOP HIM BEFORE ITS 2 LATE !!!

indian8132
01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
whats the song he keeps playing on his phone

Man4hire
01-05-2007, 07:11 PM
tell him theres plenty more fish in the sea :)

Dry your eyes mate..

Yeah, I would talk to him.

Metric.
01-05-2007, 07:33 PM
see what happens when you get into a relationship too young.

-Soph-
02-05-2007, 03:36 AM
he seems ok today..
and I agree with you above...

what I don't understand is that he dumped her..

Rizla,
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
whats the song he keeps playing on his phoneLonely..I am so lonely... ;)

Bef
02-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Anyone who was seriously suicidal would not post a bulliten on myspace

Nixt
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
inconsiderate?

their telling someone that their gona kill themselve for attention, that's sad if you ask me o.O

If they do that they are clearly upset about something and a cry for attention in such a dramatic way means that person obviously needs help. Calling them sad isn't that considerate, I think.

Rizla,
02-05-2007, 05:42 PM
But... they are sad. They could just act out in school or something but instead they take the emo route.

Bef
02-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Hes obv got some sort of issues for saying that
attention seeking is a sign of depression so however u look at it, this guy needs help.

cocaine
02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
if anyone was that depressed to think about suicide, then they wouldn't be on myspace at all.

they'd be too depressed to do anything?

Zak
02-05-2007, 10:35 PM

what do you think?
i'm kinda worriedish.

He was in love.
I know the feeling, but it isnt really worth killing yourself over.

edible
03-05-2007, 06:36 PM
did she cheat on him perhaps?!

chaos-man2006
10-05-2007, 07:35 PM
All i can say is he wants attention he is obviously feeling lonely so give it him!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!