PDA

View Full Version : What was every wrong with the old Habbox Layout?

HotelUser
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
The one that was here in the beginning of 2006 and since Habbox started I loved it, kind of late to post this, but why did they change it?

dannyisnotamazing
03-05-2007, 08:47 PM
A lot of fansites change the layouts, lol. Imo the one now is better than the old one.

But yeah, they do change over time. :P

Aflux
03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
It's a matter of accessibility, you see, Habbox now use a revolutionary back-end system called Joomla! which makes it much easier to update and much more user-friendly.

dannyisnotamazing
03-05-2007, 08:52 PM
It's a matter of accessibility, you see, Habbox now use a revolutionary back-end system called Joomla! which makes it much easier to update and much more user-friendly.
I think i've got the wrong end of the stick here. xD Does he mean layout as in, site layout.. e.g forum skin that type of layout or am I just being a moron lol

Aflux
03-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Sorted if he meant Habbox.com but if not, explain more :)

---MAD---
03-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Joomla is a CMS. CMS stands for content management system. It does what its called. Lots of people can manage different things in the system. This means people can be restricted to different things ie posting / editing news / articles / pages etc. The things that can be done with a CMS are quite vast.

HotelUser
03-05-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm not an idiot I know what a CMS is, LMAO!

It's not really that easier to update I would think, the old one was just cutenews with frames- Not that hard ;)

And I know lots of fansites change there layouts, but not Habbox :(

Barkseh2131
03-05-2007, 11:33 PM
I hated this one when we first got it but it has grown on me :P

Mentor
04-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Basicaly lazyness, joomla requests next to no effort to work, while an actualy site requred people with brains in order to actualy write the systems used for the content and keep it all working. Joomlas much more, upload, click install, and click a few buttons based. Just easyer if your not to bothered about haveing your own website and just want to put content online "/

sierk1
04-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Actually joomla requires much more effort than the old layout, but once you got things working it is easier to add content.

Basicaly lazyness, joomla requests next to no effort to work, while an actualy site requred people with brains in order to actualy write the systems used for the content and keep it all working. Joomlas much more, upload, click install, and click a few buttons based. Just easyer if your not to bothered about haveing your own website and just want to put content online "/

Aflux
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Actually joomla requires much more effort than the old layout, but once you got things working it is easier to add content.
Please explain how, pressing a couple of buttons as opposed to coding the content?

How does that require more effort?

8Freak8
04-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Joomla can be a pain in the bum to do new things with, but once it's set up it's much easier. Also it takes some getting used to.

Joomla is nice in the way that you (the admin) can just click options and things will display entirely different. For content editors (news reporters etc.) it is easier to format their work (in theory, but it's difficult sometimes).

Overall, Habbox functions much easier with Joomla than without it.

Mentor
04-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Granted i accept when i first used joomla it was a bit confusion, the interface is kinda overloaded with options so it can be a little confusing knowing where to start. But once you get the hang of it, its simple stuff.
Plus im pretty sure people would have alot more trouble starting from stract in notepad than clicking around a few links in joomla to find whats what "/

HotelUser
04-05-2007, 06:14 PM
This is going off topic a bit.. Lol..

So my question is, why would a very popular habbo fansite resort to using a CMS?

Did you just get tired of updating?

Nixt
04-05-2007, 06:16 PM

So my question is, why would a very popular habbo fansite resort to using a CMS?

I am just guessing as I don't have a huge knowledge of web design and everything, but from what has been posted it appears it is quicker and easier to use a 'CMS' and this is important for, as you say, a very popular site like Habbox; by using Joomla we can update content quickly and to the need of Habbos everywhere :8.

Mentor
04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Well i have no way of knowing its true but one gestimation of a reason may be securty, useing custom codes can often lead to securty wholes here and there which are hard to plug. A decent CMS haveing loads of users and a experenced team devlopeing it ends up alot more secure.
Before the updated habbox did get hacked quite regually (mostly just news reporters who couldnt keep the pw's safe though). But since joomla the only hacking i noticed was the major one where the server got infected and the domains itself was hacked as well "/

Dentafrice♥
04-05-2007, 06:21 PM
i like'd the layout also.

HotelUser
04-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Your points for the CMS are good ones,

if Habbox can find a theme plugin, and users can define the theme, having a classic theme would be much better, the new theme is nice, but I just liked the old simple one.

---MAD---
04-05-2007, 09:22 PM

Its much easier to managed as 8freak8 and myself pointed out earlier in the thread :).

Aflux
04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Thing is, Habbox's Joomla! layout is a free one - which I think drags Habbox down greatly.

---MAD---
04-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Thing is, Habbox's Joomla! layout is a free one - which I think drags Habbox down greatly.
I can see why but making a layout for joomla is not as easy. Plus, no matter what layout we use, its impossible to make everyone happy :).

Aflux
04-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I can see why but making a layout for joomla is not as easy. Plus, no matter what layout we use, its impossible to make everyone happy :).
Indeed, but a free to air one really isn't the best option eh?

Maybe you should make a competition with a healthy prize for a Joomla! layout as there is much talent on this forum.

nvrspk4
05-05-2007, 02:35 AM
Another thing was that the Cutenews was very vulnerable to hacking.

Dentafrice1
05-05-2007, 03:06 AM
Didn't CN get hacked at least, say once weekly?

LOL! JackHB usually never changed his password, even after he was hacked they still got it with it. :P

ownedpls
05-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Didn't CN get hacked at least, say once weekly?

LOL! JackHB usually never changed his password, even after he was hacked they still got it with it. :P
I remember that on my old forum account he was a godo man but pretty dumb

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!