PDA

View Full Version : United probe - Premier League to investigate the champions-elect

Scriptermone
06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Manchester United's dream of their first Premiership title for four years was under a cloud last night with the revelation that they face a Premier League investigation into goalkeeper Tim Howard’s £3 million transfer to Everton.

Sir Alex Ferguson’s team beat derby rivals Manchester City 1-0 yesterday to go eight points clear at the top and they will clinch the title if Chelsea fail to win at Arsenal today.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_03/thowardR_468x303.jpg

But United face seeing a season of triumph descend into chaos. In the worst-case scenario, they could have points deducted if they are found guilty of breaking the same Premier League rules under which West Ham were massively fined last week.

Howard,the 28-year-old American, had been on loan at Everton since last May and, under Premier League rules, was not allowed to play against United for the duration of the loan.

It was announced in February that the move was to become a permanent transfer. But it is understood that Everton agreed not to play Howard against United this season, and when the two sides met at Goodison a week ago, the American’s place was taken by second choice goalkeeper Iain Turner.

The 22- year-old made a crucial error, allowing United to start the fightback which led to their 4-2 victory.

The Premier League are now set to investigate whether an agreement over Howard’s availability existed and, if so, whether it breached the same rules which saw West Ham suffer a £5.5m fine over the transfers to Upton Park of Javier Mascherano and Carlos Tevez.

Those rules, U18 and B13, ban clubs from entering into agreements which allow a third party to influence another club’s selection policy and dictate that clubs must act with good faith towards each other and the Premier League.

The League have confirmed to The Mail on Sunday that no such agreement regarding Howard was included in the transfer documents lodged with them by the clubs and that if United had requested it through official channels, they would have been refused.

A Premier League spokesman said: "There is no such clause in the transfer contracts of the player and we are contacting the clubs to try to clarify the situation."

Documents lodged with the Premier League when the transfer was agreed between the clubs make it clear that the permanent deal ran from February and that it was no longer a loan.

Reports at the time suggested the permanent deal would begin in June and the loan would continue until the end of the season.
Both clubs declined to comment on the issue last night.

But Everton will be questioned by Premier League secretary Mike Foster this week after their manager, David Moyes, appeared to confirm that there was an agreement between the clubs when he explained before the game against United why Turner was playing.

Moyes was reported as saying: "While Tim Howard was on loan he would not have been able to play against his parent club, United.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_03/turnerMOS0605_468x332.jpg

"Although we have now signed him ourselves, United wanted the loan clause to remain in operation. It was partly the reason we were able to tie up the deal for next season as early as we did. We have abided by their wishes."
United, managed by Sir Alex Ferguson, and Everton will be given a chance to explain the circumstances of Howard’s transfer and his availability for his new club.
It is understood that Everton will claim a ‘gentlemen’s agreement’ existed over Howard’s availability and they were at liberty to pick him against United if they chose to. But such an argument may not satisfy the Premier League.
Premier League sources say that last season Birmingham attempted to insert a clause into a transfer deal forbidding Robbie Savage playing against them for his new club, Blackburn Rovers.
Birmingham were refused permission to do so.
West Ham were fined a total of £5.5m because they had allowed offshore companies to retain influence over Mascherano and Tevez.
The Premier League commission ruled that this represented a clear breach of rule U18. West Ham were also found to have breached rule B13, stipulating that clubs must act in good faith, and the club’s former chief executive, Paul Aldridge, was accused of telling the Premier League a ‘direct lie’ when asked about the agreements over the players.

Discuss. :]

Source from: The daily mail website.

iHorrors
06-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Ive thought his.

I think it was a fix when they won against bolton because bolton's keeper Jaaskelinen was terribile and could easilly of saved them
same with roma.

I think united season has been a fix.

I hope they lose 6 or 3 points. ;]

Chelsea ftw.

Scriptermone
06-05-2007, 12:06 PM
So I see you're a chelsea supporter? ROCK ON!

If they lose 6 points, I think we've got the title in the bag.

Aflux
06-05-2007, 12:58 PM
If they duct points, I'm writing an angry letter.

edible
06-05-2007, 03:07 PM
If they duct points, I'm writing an angry letter.
why :S

I doubt we'll be deducted points, if we do, We (Everton & Man Utd) can argue that West Ham didnt so therefore we both shouldnt.

Aflux
06-05-2007, 03:17 PM
West Ham never have points deducted, so why should Manchester?

edible
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I thought that'd be the reason.

and Why should Everton aswell?!

Jamie!
06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
wouldn't worry about it if you were a utd/everton fan.. you won't get deducted points cause there would be all hell on if they did.

no doubt all the chelski plastics will use this as a reason to why they didn't win the league etc.

edit; they've both been cleared so it's all good..

piddle2k6
06-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Agreed but in jose's words "everybody loves manchester united but everyone hates chelsea so it no wonder we didnt win"

ChampJames.
07-05-2007, 02:25 AM
I understand that UTD's case has now been closed as they didnt break any rules?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the transfer window close on 31st Jan. Therefore, if the permenant deal was arranged during February, he does not officially count as an Everton player until the beginning of the next transfer window?

Barkseh2131
07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Ive thought his.

I think it was a fix when they won against bolton because bolton's keeper Jaaskelinen was terribile and could easilly of saved them
same with roma.

Chelsea ftw.

You’re worse than Americans with their 9/11 conspiracy theories.

Congratulations to Manchester United and the hell of a season they have had (without spending over 50 – 60 Million)

iHorrors
07-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Congratulations to Manchester United and the hell of a season they have had (without spending over 50 – 60 Million)

Right ? :s

mangle
07-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Agreed

It is possible for a goalkeeper to have a bad day. I play in goal and i can range from doing amazing saves to basic errors. It all depends on your confidence , the atmosphere and the faith in the defence.

edible
07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
@ person who said something about the transfer window being closed;
We signed him in February for i dont know how many years, but we signed him then (as he was on loan to begin with) and i think that Man Utd said that he would stay on line till the end of the 06-07 season, so then he wouldnt play againest his host club, but the PL said he was eligble.
He'll be able to play next season vs Man Utd.
We would have won that game if it was Howard playing.

I think what I said is right :S:S:S

brandon
07-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Ive thought his.

same with roma.

Chelsea ftw.
Why the hell would Bolton allow them to win, same with Roma. :rolleyes: but d/w
Man Utd have won the league now so you can change clubs again.

@xP
07-05-2007, 04:34 PM
if united get deducted point they are biased towards west Ham.

West ham were in the same sort of situation, and they got a 5.5 million pound fine. Because united are a nothern team they will get points deducted.

i bet this will happen.

Grainger@CUFC
07-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Ive thought his.

same with roma.

Chelsea ftw.

If their season was fixed, how come they never won the Carling Cup or the Champion's League? They can only win the double, I hardly call that fixed.

@ person who said something about the transfer window being closed;
We signed him in February for i dont know how many years, but we signed him then (as he was on loan to begin with) and i think that Man Utd said that he would stay on line till the end of the 06-07 season, so then he wouldnt play againest his host club, but the PL said he was eligble.
He'll be able to play next season vs Man Utd.
We would have won that game if it was Howard playing.

I think what I said is right :S:S:S

What you said was right. He was on loan until the end of the season, meaning he was unable to play against his parent club (Man U). Everton have signed him on a deal beginning at the start of the 07/08 season, meaning that from now on, he can play against Man U :).

edible
07-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes but the Premier League said like yesterday that he was eligible to play since be belonged to us as of when he signed that deal, but apparantly there was some kind of.. "gentlemens agreement" i dont knoww tbh, I think Everton & Man UTD agreed that he was still on loan until end of the season, but he could of played I think that's how it all started.

I swear I make no sense.

And @ @xP - both clubs have been cleared, I knew we werent going to be deducted points otherwise we could of argued about West Ham, i knew if anything happened it would be a fine (: We arent getting a punishment cos the Premier League believe we didnt break any rules (which we didnt tbhh)

@xP
07-05-2007, 04:51 PM
ah ok so theres no threat anymore?

edible
07-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Nope, none at all :D It was sorted in a day.

:alexxTURNER
07-05-2007, 05:54 PM
It's manchester united, the won't get points deducted.
So if your a manchester united fan, don't worry about it.

edible
07-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Alex, have you not read the whole thread?!
Everton and Man Utd both got cleared yesterday, and we wouldnt have been deducted points cos we could of argued that West Ham didnt get points deducted so we shouldn't - pretty simplee.

And just cos it's Man Utd doesnt mean they would of got away with it..It was an Everton problem aswell fyi.

07-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Alex, have you not read the whole thread?!
Everton and Man Utd both got cleared yesterday, and we wouldnt have been deducted points cos we could of argued that West Ham didnt get points deducted so we shouldn't - pretty simplee.

And just cos it's Man Utd doesnt mean they would of got away with it..It was an Everton problem aswell fyi.

No i didn't read the whole thread:eusa_whis

edible
07-05-2007, 06:15 PM
No i didn't read the whole thread:eusa_whis
thought so, doubt you'll be happy that both Everton & Man Utd were cleared as the PL believe we didnt brake any rules, so no punishment, fines or points deducted :D:D:D

07-05-2007, 06:17 PM
thought so, doubt you'll be happy that both Everton & Man Utd were cleared as the PL believe we didnt brake any rules, so no punishment, fines or points deducted :D:D:D

Everton - I'm happy with
Manchester United - Im not happy with lol.

edible
07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I knew that :)

Im extremely happy for Everton :D
But also kinda for Man Utd, cos we get money cos of Rooney cos they won the title, we also get money from them (if) they win the FA Cup.

07-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I knew that :)

Im extremely happy for Everton :D
But also kinda for Man Utd, cos we get money cos of Rooney cos they won the title, we also get money from them (if) they win the FA Cup.

Thats good for Everton I suppose.
I felt sorry for the Everton fans when you got beat by Man Utd 2-4 when
Rooney scored and ran upto the corner flag and kissed his Man Utd badge.
Thats just taking the *badwordhere* tbh.

trAsp
07-05-2007, 06:24 PM
You could say the same about Everton fans that boo him everytime he gets the ball though, Alex.

07-05-2007, 06:26 PM
You could say the same about Everton fans that boo him everytime he gets the ball though, Alex.

True, true.

edible
07-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Rooney backstabbed Moyes and said absolute rubbish about him in autobiography.
Rooney basically betrayed us in a way..i think?!?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!