PDA

View Full Version : Is atheism itself a religion?

Nixt
07-05-2007, 03:05 PM
In my opinion it does fall under the term 'religion'.

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

I have quoted just the first definition offered, as it is relevant to my argument. So, Atheism can be defined as "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe". It is the belief that God does not exist, without evidence Atheists have faith that what they believe is correct, although they may not be; they assume that Atheism is the correct just as people of a certain religion assume that they are correct. A lot of atheists believe so fervently that there is no God that it is, itself, a religion.
Of course the main difference is that Atheists consider themselves non-religious and they do not adhere to any organised religion, there are no texts that they refer to, they do not have meetings or assemblies and neither do they have leaders who guide them. I suppose that is the counter argument.

Discuss :)

Tash.
07-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't think it is, as you've said being an atheist means that you don't follow anybody elses teachings, you don't believe in any organised religion nor are there any leaders. I'm an atheist and I certainly don't think of it as a group of people I belong to. It's just a word to describe having no faith or belief in any religion in my opinion.

trAsp
07-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Doesn't it make you don't believe in relgion? So it would be somewhat contradictory if it was a religion - it's definitely not. I don't believe in religion so I am athiest, if I have to state my religion I don't write athiest. It's just a belief/perception on how the Earth was built. It lacks a lot of aspects religion has, ie a place of prayer, a god etc.

Nixt
07-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Doesn't it make you don't believe in relgion? So it would be somewhat contradictory if it was a religion. I don't think it is.

No, atheism is:

the doctrine or belief that there is no God
a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods

Not necessarily not believing in Religion :). God and religion are two different things :).

Rizla,
07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
From what I've always understood atheism is non-belief, although now that you pose the question I see where you're coming from. Personally, I don't believe atheism is a religion, it doesn't fall under any of the catergories of religion, and the majority of people who describe themselves as atheists believe in the big bang theory and evolution, which is a science, not religion.

---MAD---
07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
I dont think it is myself. I think its more of a title. Religion usually involves duties and/or following set rules / guidelines.

Dan2nd
07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
If thats true you could then make religions out of loads of things. I mean there would be the Global Warming religion lol where do you draw the line?

If thats true you could then make religions out of loads of things. I mean there would be the Global Warming religion lol where do you draw the line?

Nixt
07-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Well technically you can make a religion out of anything you just need a certain amount of followers and then you can be classed as a religion.

GommeInc
07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Well technically you can make a religion out of anything you just need a certain amount of followers and then you can be classed as a religion.
Or write a book and let people over stretch the meanings inside, creating a cult.

And as Mad says, religion needs some sort of guideline with or without duties.

FlyingJesus
07-05-2007, 04:48 PM
+*+STABZ SELF+*+

(sorry post was made of crap and fail)

Mentor
07-05-2007, 04:50 PM
In my opinion it does fall under the term 'religion'.
Your first definition goes against you, since atheism is simply a lack of a single belief, that of gods existence. In the same way theism is a belief in gods existence.
Theism nore atheism are religions though. The concepts sometimes are included as part of ones, for example.
Buddhism is a religion but the followers are all Atheists.
Christianity is a a religion and the followers are all Theists.

Hence theism and atheism concern a single belief that can be part of many 1000s of different religions or even individual beliefs and understandings of the universe.
You can believe in god, but not a religion. and you can be religious and not believe in god.

I think ive already proved my point that atheism is NOT a religion.

I have quoted just the first definition offered, as it is relevant to my argument. So, Atheism can be defined as "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe".
No its not, its simply a belief that theres no god. It doesn't state weather they believe the universe has existed forever, was created in a big bang, is on top of an infinite pile of tortoises. Weather Karma exists, what a human sole/spirit is.
Its simply one belief, not a set of them. Its is often included as part of one of those set's though.

It is the belief that God does not exist, without evidence Atheists have faith that what they believe is correct, although they may not be; they assume that Atheism is the correct just as people of a certain religion assume that they are correct.
Thats not true. Just look at the word Atheism.
Now theism = belief in god or gods.
Amoral = someone without morals.
Asymmetry = something without symmetry
Hence:
Atheism = someone WITHOUT a belief in god.

Not having a belief in god does not mean they believe god does not exist, only that they have no belief as to ones existence.

To illustrate this im going to use "Barny the invisible blue dinosaur." Now im guessing no one here believes in Barny, but im also guessing before now no one specifically believed that Barny did not exist, it was just something they had never thought of. Why? because theres nothing pointing to its existence, no reason to believe it. We only form a belief about something usually when something indicates to us it must exist. Otherwise at best we have imaginary friend status. Which is what god, and Barny the invisible blue dinosaur are. No evidence suggests there existence, hence atheists have no belief as to weather they exist or not.

After all an atheist who Denys gods existence is doing something as foolish as what those following the religion are to start with it, holding a belief about a state of affairs where no evidence is available.
> God may or may no exist, theres no evidence ether way.
> Barney the invisible blue dinosaur may or may not exist, theres no evidence ether way.

Actively believing one does not exist is foolish. Not holding a belief ether way on them though, is not, and is the stance of atheists.

A lot of atheists believe so fervently that there is no God that it is, itself, a religion.
No they dont. Plus they'd need to form a religion with that belief to be one. A single belief doesn't make a religion.

Of course the main difference is that Atheists consider themselves non-religious and they do not adhere to any organised religion, there are no texts that they refer to, they do not have meetings or assemblies and neither do they have leaders who guide them. I suppose that is the counter argument.
I think my own counter argument was better as your one missed the point entirely and is countering an misconception's not an argument. Theists have differing beliefs and have no single text or leaders. Yet they all belive in gods. Christians, Muslims, ainchent Greeks, romans or egiptions, etc etc. Are all theists religions after all.

Dan2nd
07-05-2007, 04:59 PM

FlyingJesus
07-05-2007, 04:59 PM

You've said this already. And global warming isn't a religion as it involves no divinity or spiritual leader.

Dan2nd
07-05-2007, 05:04 PM
You've said this already. And global warming isn't a religion as it involves no divinity or spiritual leader.

oh yeah lol sorry that server backup thing came up and I didn't think it posted :)

RedStratocas
07-05-2007, 06:46 PM
No, because Atheism isnt really a set of beliefs. People in a single religion (for the most part) believe in the same things, but two different atheists could have completely different morals. Religion is something that has guidelines, Atheism is simply no belief.

Virgin Mary
07-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Religion is a belief which many people will follow and they will adhere to some common rules set out by that religion (e.g. the 10 commandments) and usually involve ceremonies/rituals etc. Atheism is simply the belief that there is no God and involves no special ceremonies or anything, so no, it isn't. In simple terms, religion is - for lack of a better word - a cult, and atheism/theism are very general opinions.

Roboevil
07-05-2007, 11:54 PM
The only reason that dictionary says it's a "set of beliefs" is so it doesn't sound blasphemous. If it said "Atheism is fact", then you'd get a load of angry Christians and Muslims raising their pitchforks and torches complaining about how it overrules the chances of a god.

-Soph-
08-05-2007, 05:23 AM
not really, i'm an athiest, I'd just say "I don't have a religion"

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!