PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

indian8132
08-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Hello all :)

I recently been to Durham to see relatives. I was there for a few days with family, and theres something really bothering me since I came back. There are many 17-20yr olds who I get along with great there. I stayed at my nans during that time, and they all come back there around 1am, loads of them, really drunk. They all smoke, boys and girls, and it seems.. cool in a way. Im 13, and I always told myself I would never smoke but since I been there it looks good. I saw a video in science a week ago about what happenes if you smoke (real life, not cartoon) and that was absoloutley disgusting. We might be moving to Durham, which means I will see them every day (They are cousins, theres like 15 of them). Are these videos true or trying to put you off smoking? If we move there, Im going to be the only 13yr old who doesnt smoke and it will seem wierd (They smoke at a young age, unlike where I live now :p)

So, any advice? What can I do? Who can I talk to about it?

Your help is sincerely appericiated!!

Typo x

Lizard
08-05-2007, 11:40 PM
*Removed*

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make inappropriate remarks like this.

indian8132
09-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Removed by Mr.Sam (Super Moderator) Please do not Pointless Post.

Charlie
09-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Those videos are true, they wouldn't make up loads of rubbish to educate you with, some of it may be rubbish, but most of it is true, and i guess in a way it is trying to put you off smoking because of what it does to your body and what things it can cause.

Also, just because you might be moving to place where nearly everyone you know is smoking, doesn't mean you have to join in too. Half of my family smoke, and i see them do it, but it doesn't mean i want to join in just so i can fit in with them and look cool. Only ever do it if you really want to, not because others are and you want to look cool, but still bare in mind what damage it causes.

Cwmbran
09-05-2007, 12:23 PM
You said you would never start smoking and now because you've seen your cousins smoking you think it's cool? Sounds like you want to fit in with the crowd, rather pafetic if you ask me.
If they all started jumping off cliffs would you?

The videos are true, and I have seen my the consiquences of smoking.
I would advise you not to start smoking unless you want to kill yourself slowly.
At the end of the day it's your choice. Not ours, not theres. Yours do what you believe is best.

:Hazel
09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I think you are probably under some peer pressure to smoke because all these older ones do. You have seen yourself how it affects your body and my advice is notto follow the crowd, just be yourself :)

Catzsy
09-05-2007, 02:10 PM
They are the followers and you are the individual. Keep to what you believe in and not smoke. It will be you that is better off in the long run not only health wise but money wise because they are very expensive.

Also as you see them only occasionally then its not worth it at all.
I am sure it will not bother them as much as it bothers you TBH. =]

:Liam
09-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Because others smoke you should? Thoose videos are true. You want to go against your beliefs to look cool? I think you shouldnt smoke tbh. Its bad for your health, some people wont want to be around you, it'll cost alot, you could become addicted and many more reasons.

arouse
09-05-2007, 02:25 PM
if you want a lifetime of coughing, if you want a reddish toned skin, if you wan't mouth/lung/etc cancer then smoke. if you want to be healthy, don't smoke. smoking doesn't even look cool, it looks, smells and tastes disgusting.

indian8132
09-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Your all right. I shouldnt smoke, thank you very much :)

But I am always around a lot of people who do smoke, so isint that just as bad - theres nothing I can do about it..

Edit - And also, I will not smoke :D

Cwmbran
09-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Being around people isn't as bad, but it is still bad.

Xotuako
09-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Don't smoke. Don't start. Here's a few bad points:
You smell like crap
Your teeth go yellow
Cancer
You can't stop

There are loads more, but they're a few.

indian8132
09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
You smell like crap
Your teeth go yellow
Cancer
You can't stop

I am not going to start, made up my mind :)

Energizer
09-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't smoke just because everyone else does.

Rizla,
09-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Loads of people who don't smoke hang around with smokers...

indian8132
09-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Loads of people who don't smoke hang around with smokers...

Lol your name fits in well with this topic!

And its just pressure of saying no, they asked me..

Rizla,
09-05-2007, 06:54 PM
If you just keep saying "Nah I'm alrite" they'll stop asking. If you say "no I don't smoke" people are more likely to keep offering you them :p

indian8132
09-05-2007, 07:16 PM
If you just keep saying "Nah I'm alrite" they'll stop asking. If you say "no I don't smoke" people are more likely to keep offering you them :p

Good point :) I agree, tyvm +Rep

The-Mate
10-05-2007, 07:58 PM
i smoke myself and honestly dont do it its not big its not cleaver and you'll be richer than any1 else lol besides not a great time to start prices goin up and smoking ban just isnt fun

Shawnstra
11-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Don't let the people around you affect you. My guess is [no offense] that smokers ask people to join them as they do not want to be the only ones to smoke. They have no choice but to smoke because they are addicted to it. So its quite ironic actually.

indian8132
13-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Someone just gave me -Rep for no reason, who was it.

:LeKevin:
18-05-2007, 08:17 AM
You smell like crap
Your teeth go yellow
Cancer
You can't stop

You can stop... :rolleyes:

Davii
18-05-2007, 10:28 PM
do it, smokings cool, the videos are sort of true but they over exagerate

vicious
18-05-2007, 10:31 PM
whatever you do, don't smoke. don't give in to peer pressure because it will make you look like a wimp :)
all the videos they show you at school and in health lessons are all true.
smoking can stop you growing and can make you go unhealthily skinny because it will make you not want to eat.
and also it will age your looks and make you look like a piece of mouldy wood.
teeth are supposed to be white, not yellow.

dirrty
18-05-2007, 10:47 PM
smoking is cool?
whoever told you that is very wrong.

smoking doesnt make you cool, nor look cool. your just killing yourself faster.

SusieC
19-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Smoking is horrible and I wouldn't smoke personally.

This is your decision- whether you want to follow the crowd/ or stick to your mind in the first place, not to smoke.

Basically, I'm repeating most of the above, you probably just want to smoke to follow them, but you need to follow what you think is best for yourself.

Just remember the effects that smoking has on your body AND your health.

WarezKid
19-05-2007, 08:18 PM
i used to hang around in soo called "gangs"

they smoked but i never did, wanna know why?

Becasue they knew that i can choose my own life, therefor, there my real mates to not forcing me to smoke ;p,

What i'm saying is, are these people are your real friends?,

Decide..

---MAD---
21-05-2007, 06:55 PM

I recently been to Durham to see relatives. I was there for a few days with family, and theres something really bothering me since I came back. There are many 17-20yr olds who I get along with great there. I stayed at my nans during that time, and they all come back there around 1am, loads of them, really drunk. They all smoke, boys and girls, and it seems.. cool in a way. Im 13, and I always told myself I would never smoke but since I been there it looks good. I saw a video in science a week ago about what happenes if you smoke (real life, not cartoon) and that was absoloutley disgusting. We might be moving to Durham, which means I will see them every day (They are cousins, theres like 15 of them). Are these videos true or trying to put you off smoking? If we move there, Im going to be the only 13yr old who doesnt smoke and it will seem wierd (They smoke at a young age, unlike where I live now :p)

So, any advice? What can I do? Who can I talk to about it?

Your help is sincerely appericiated!!

Typo x
Take those videos in science seriously. You may think it looks cool now but wait till your 40 or 50 when it starts to hit you hard. Smoking only a few months causes problems, yet alone smoking for years.

Theres absoletly nothing wrong with you not smoking when everyone else does. Do keep in mind that breathing in the smoke they smoke out, is called passive smoking and is said to be just as bad, if not worse than smoking yourself. This means you need to be away from them when they smoke as much as possible :).

MAD

JackHb
21-05-2007, 06:55 PM

It may seem cool but it is really stupid to do, trust me, i have been smoking for about 1 and half years and i regret starting, even if all of your friends smoke; DONT!

If you want to ask anything just message me as i really regret smoking and your only young and i just hope you dont!

jackass
21-05-2007, 06:58 PM

Who the hell told you that? Smoking is seriously uncool.

Don't do it & don't give in to peer pressure.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!