PDA

View Full Version : The word filter.

Xarea
11-05-2007, 06:12 AM
I think the word *REMOVED* should be unfiltered.

Habbo websites even use it:
http://www.habbo.com.au/news/tight_***_tuesdays.html

So yeah, if Sulake grant permission for even a site to use it, why can't we?

Btw, mods don't be stupid and infract me for avoiding - how can they find out the word if I can't say it.

Edited By nvrspk4 (Assistant General Manager): Please do not avoid the filter. Even if it is to discuss the word itself, a description of the appropriate use of it would suffice. If they have to see the word itself to see what you mean, then it shouldn't be revealed. For the purpose of continuing the discussion of this thread, the word he was referring to was an alternative word for "donkey". If you don't know what the word is, you probably shouldn't be seeing it anyway ;)

Barkseh2131
11-05-2007, 07:40 AM
i 100% agree.

benjamin
11-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I agree really, but ***hole should stay filtered, if that's possible because that is only used as abuse to someone lol.

Shawnstra
11-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree really, but ***hole should stay filtered, if that's possible because that is only used as abuse to someone lol.

True...

Matt.
11-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Seeing as your talking about the word filter I will just post something about it. The word **** is filtered. But you put it next to another word it will not be filtered. All I can really say is it begins with T and ends with T. I'm not going to post it cause I will get a warning. If a admins wants to be PM I will tell them the word.

:Jamie
11-05-2007, 05:01 PM
i agree.

Ashhizzle
11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
UN FILTER IT!

Xarea
13-05-2007, 09:19 AM
bump..

Edited By nvrspk4 (Assistant General Manager): Please do not bump threads or post pointlessly.

Lµke
13-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I think the word *REMOVED* should be unfiltered.

Habbo websites even use it:
http://www.habbo.com.au/news/tight_***_tuesdays.html

So yeah, if Sulake grant permission for even a site to use it, why can't we?

Btw, mods don't be stupid and infract me for avoiding - how can they find out the word if I can't say it.

HabboxForum runs a strict policy on filtered words. With there being minors on the forum we filter any language we deem unsuitable for minors. In this case the one you have suggested above is unsuitable.

benjamin
13-05-2007, 11:41 AM
HabboxForum runs a strict policy on filtered words. With there being minors on the forum we filter any language we deem unsuitable for minors. In this case the one you have suggested above is unsuitable.
But it's also another word for Donkey?

Lµke
13-05-2007, 11:45 AM

A minor might not know that?

benjamin
13-05-2007, 11:46 AM
A minor might not know that?
Well if they know the real meaning for it, why do they need to be kept away from the word :S Technically, there shouldn't be anyone on here under 11, it's a Habbo related forum, and pretty much 99% of the comminuty here all joined this forum due to Habbo. The forum should pretty much have the same rules as Habbo, due to it being based on the game. If Habbo unfilters a word I really don't see why Habbox should continue filtering it.

Mr.OSH
13-05-2007, 12:06 PM

I'm guessing 9/10 times someone posts that word though it isn't in that context and is directed at someone in order to cause offence? I think relaxing the work filter may be a bad idea as if this was relaxed people would want more words unfiltered and I'm guessing that because of the numbers of minors on the forum it isn't a good idea.

reindeer.
13-05-2007, 03:01 PM
I regard minors as 5-6 year olds and there definitely arent any of those on these forums. A complete new way to get round this would be to make the minimun registering age 11?

Leeroy
13-05-2007, 03:12 PM
I regard minors as 5-6 year olds and there definitely arent any of those on these forums. A complete new way to get round this would be to make the minimun registering age 11?

I agree on what you are saying

Mrs.McCall
13-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Another thing you have to take into account is the fact that different words are counted as 'swearing' in different cultures.

The word *** in the UK is seen as rude and 'swearing' but in america and, obviously, Austrailia.

The word 'Bas..' (not filtering there, just letting them know which one I mean) is one that is used in America frequently and isn't seen as swearing, in the UK it is.

Considering that at least 70-80% of the forum memebers are from the UK, it seems fitting that the word is blocked.

reindeer.
13-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I'd like to think every user on this forum is old enough and mature enough to cope with words like this.

today
13-05-2007, 06:37 PM
why cant we swear using the "spolier" tag but have a new one called "swearing" and has a note before you click "contains swearing, view at own risk"

tbh then if a user or as you say "minor" views, its their own fault. you warned them.

Lµke
13-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I'd like to think every user on this forum is old enough and mature enough to cope with words like this.

Because lets face it, there are people on here that wont be mature enough to control themselfs and will abuse it.

why cant we swear using the "spolier" tag but have a new one called "swearing" and has a note before you click "contains swearing, view at own risk"

tbh then if a user or as you say "minor" views, its their own fault. you warned them.

IMO that would cause more hassle than its worth.

today
13-05-2007, 08:58 PM
why would it?

nvrspk4
14-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Before I respond to some specific posts, I will make a general statement or two. Firstly, the site you quoted is from Habbo.au, however the word in question is indeed filtered on Habbo.co.uk. If we wanted to get technical, this is habboxforum.com based on the .co.uk Habbo, not habboxforum.au :P Secondly, if you ask if it is possible to have a forum without a swearing filter, yes it is. Is it possible on HabboxForum? Absolutely not. Mainly because the maturity level here tends to be low. I have seen people older than myself, adults even, acting like two year olds, and though some members can handle the added responsibility, I'd go as far as to say 9/10 cannot. So no, it won't be unfiltered.

Seeing as your talking about the word filter I will just post something about it. The word **** is filtered. But you put it next to another word it will not be filtered. All I can really say is it begins with T and ends with T. I'm not going to post it cause I will get a warning. If a admins wants to be PM I will tell them the word.

Yes, some words that are legitimate stay unfiltered for continued use. If of course people use that word as a way to circumvent the filter, then they will be infracted. For example, my job title, Assistant General Manager, would not be possible to type out if any word with a certain bad word was completely filtered, however it is set so that only that specific word is filtered.

Well if they know the real meaning for it, why do they need to be kept away from the word :S Technically, there shouldn't be anyone on here under 11, it's a Habbo related forum, and pretty much 99% of the comminuty here all joined this forum due to Habbo. The forum should pretty much have the same rules as Habbo, due to it being based on the game. If Habbo unfilters a word I really don't see why Habbox should continue filtering it.

There is a need to stop people who know it from using it as well, because its going to be misused. Also, not everyone will know it. Technically nobody should be under 11, but there are under 11s, and technically they could have joined without joining Habbo. Realistically, there are a few under 11s. Also, I don't think every 11 year old knows the word, nor are all curse-words appropriate for them. As I stated before, the Habbo that we are based on has not unfiltered it.

You can regard minors as 5-6 all you want, but the legal definition accepted pretty much globally is that a minor is someone under the age of 18. Sorry, but in this case legal definition wins :P Also, we will not cut off anyone from entering, regardless, I don't know why 11 suddenly becomes a non-minor, you all are quoting the age 11 which has no significance other than it is the Habbo cut-off.

Another thing you have to take into account is the fact that different words are counted as 'swearing' in different cultures.

The word *** in the UK is seen as rude and 'swearing' but in america and, obviously, Austrailia.

The word 'Bas..' (not filtering there, just letting them know which one I mean) is one that is used in America frequently and isn't seen as swearing, in the UK it is.

Considering that at least 70-80% of the forum memebers are from the UK, it seems fitting that the word is blocked.

Exactly =]

I'm sorry to say that you're wrong :P One main reason that swearing is not allowed is that a lot of the members aren't mature enough to cope with the added responsibility.

A minor is someone under the age of 18. I would say that people in that age bracket are nearly 99% of our members, probably more. If you swore using spoiler tags, technically you are a minor exposing yourself to it :P Also, there are reasons other than the legal ones, and we have a responsibility to make it difficult for minors to view swearing. Allowing them the opportunity is not effective enforcement. And also, it would just be abused, simple as.

Another thing to consider is since we are based off of Habbo.co.uk, Sulake could approach us if we unfiltered the word and asked us to either filter the words / readd the filter or remove their copyrighted material.

Mentor
14-05-2007, 02:11 AM

The word "bas" isnt seen as swearing in the UK, there are only 3 words in the UK considered as swearing, its pretty obvious what those to are. The US is the only country to my knowledge that classifies it as a sware word ( theres an idea of minor and major sware words over there i believe).

"bas" in england is ONLY defined as donkey anyway, the proper British equivalent is "brse", which still is not considered a sware word.

nvrspk4
14-05-2007, 02:33 AM
The word "bas" isnt seen as swearing in the UK, there are only 3 words in the UK considered as swearing, its pretty obvious what those to are. The US is the only country to my knowledge that classifies it as a sware word ( theres an idea of minor and major sware words over there i believe).

"bas" in england is ONLY defined as donkey anyway, the proper British equivalent is "brse", which still is not considered a sware word.

You have lost me, except that "bas" is definitely not defined as donkey, if we are thinking of the same word anyway. This is more of a mixed breed type word.

Mentor
14-05-2007, 07:17 PM
You have lost me, except that "bas" is definitely not defined as donkey, if we are thinking of the same word anyway. This is more of a mixed breed type word.
Your american :p
But bas is definably defined as donkey... although technically donkey is defined as Bas, The name bas has been used for 100s of years in English, the word donkey is in fact just a weired name that popd up fairly recently in fact. As opposed to popular useage though bas does literally mean donkey "dont be a bas" "your as stabborn as a bas" etc etc.

brse is the English equivalent of the American bas, meaning buttox.

nvrspk4
14-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Your american :p
But bas is definably defined as donkey... although technically donkey is defined as Bas, The name bas has been used for 100s of years in English, the word donkey is in fact just a weired name that popd up fairly recently in fact. As opposed to popular useage though bas does literally mean donkey "dont be a bas" "your as stabborn as a bas" etc etc.

brse is the English equivalent of the American bas, meaning buttox.

We are definately talking about different words.

benjamin
14-05-2007, 10:01 PM
You do know he means bas actually begins with an a, right?

nvrspk4
14-05-2007, 10:44 PM
You do know he means bas actually begins with an a, right?

I quoted the original post by Sammeth thinking that bas was the start of it ;)

reindeer.
15-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I quoted the original post by Sammeth thinking that bas was the start of it ;)

I think you're right ;)

Well tbh, all of our teachers swear at us, I'd be surprised if anyone in the school had never swore, habbo couldnt give a toss about habbox, and well to be honest, what youre saying is you can't swear until youre 18 :S

today
15-05-2007, 06:33 PM
u can swear at any age tbh && if a user hates swearing then add um to IGNORE LIST *+*+ its there for reasons make use so nernernern.

^^ im hyper && freakky.

reindeer.
15-05-2007, 06:35 PM
^^ im hyper && freakky.

lolol who isnt!!!!!!

when ---ANGRY--- gets fired please remove this word from the filter ;)

today
15-05-2007, 06:39 PM
its --MAD--- 'cus he makes us ---MAD--- so he gets well ---ANGRY--- when he doesnt get his own way && that makes us ---MADDER---

well you get the point really?

Mentor
15-05-2007, 06:46 PM
How many 3 letter words which end is "as" and being with "a" do you know?

with first letter replaced
Brse is english for buttox
bas is English for donkey
bas is america for buttox.

In English neather brse or bas are swear words.

today
15-05-2007, 06:48 PM
i thought at one point they removed alot of swearing from filter tbh?

DJCT08
17-05-2007, 06:32 PM
why have you filtered out links for hotmail!!?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!