PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be a weird one..

DiscoPat
20-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Ok, this thread will be weird; therefore will be really hard to describe my point.

You see when you 'think', is it just me or do you have like two opinions going in your brain at once, the 'voice' is the same, (you know the voice you kind of hear when you think, lol) for example, if your walking to the bus stop and you see the bus there, you think, 'should I run or not?', that is the question but do you say for instance, "I cant be bothered", and something behind those words you hear, "come on, go for it".

As I said it is very hard to explain and some people will get it confused with people who have mental illness but I can assure you I’m not mad lol, It's just I'm kind of interested on how it all works, but then again, who isn’t?

Adding to that, something kind of off topic but not irrelevant, is there ways to improve brain power, such as to remember things and techniques to make your brain think deeply?
Do you also feel like your the only one who thinks and is 'normal'? And that everything some how relates back to you and life is just, some strange thing, like, where were we all before birth? I'll stop talking now cause some of you are thinking I'm weird lol :P

Ostinato
20-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Haha I can sense your in a very.. philosophical mood?! :P

Well I do think it's quite weird how we can actually hear our own voices in our heads! :P

Also, I think it's rally strange how you can shut your eyes yet you can use your imagination and still see things!? LOL

And, there is brain exercises you can do that helps improve your memory and stuff... theres always an advert with Chris Tarrant about one for the nintendo DS lol...

DiscoPat
20-05-2007, 12:21 AM
You are indeed right lol, I am in a philosophical mood :P, but in all seriousness how does it all work lol, I mean, take the people who know how to hypnotise and gain control over ones brain, how the hell does it all work lol. On top of that, who actually figured it out lol!:rolleyes:

N!ck
20-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Ok, this thread will be weird; therefore will be really hard to describe my point.

You see when you 'think', is it just me or do you have like two opinions going in your brain at once, the 'voice' is the same, (you know the voice you kind of hear when you think, lol) for example, if your walking to the bus stop and you see the bus there, you think, 'should I run or not?', that is the question but do you say for instance, "I cant be bothered", and something behind those words you hear, "come on, go for it".

As I said it is very hard to explain and some people will get it confused with people who have mental illness but I can assure you I’m not mad lol, It's just I'm kind of interested on how it all works, but then again, who isn’t?

Adding to that, something kind of off topic but not irrelevant, is there ways to improve brain power, such as to remember things and techniques to make your brain think deeply?
Do you also feel like your the only one who thinks and is 'normal'? And that everything some how relates back to you and life is just, some strange thing, like, where were we all before birth? I'll stop talking now cause some of you are thinking I'm weird lol :P

You are definately not weird. This is someting thay I don't really think anyone understands as it is the only situation/circumstance we know of.

What is even weirder and will confuse even more people is the fact that we don't really exist :p. Atoms are simly just waves of energy - just like light, heat etc. is energy.

le harry
20-05-2007, 01:13 AM
You lost me =[

DiscoPat
20-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Wait, wait.. You said we don't exist? Thats totally riped my brains apart lol.. What do you mean by that?

RedStratocas
20-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Its funny how we hear our voices in our heads, but they're going so much faster than the pace we talk at. We dont pause with our thoughts.

There's a book called Johnny Got His Gun that we red in English, and there's not a single coma in the entire book, because the whole book takes place in his head.

le harry
20-05-2007, 01:22 AM
We are just made up of Atoms. We arn't actually one solid thing that exists I guess.

DiscoPat
20-05-2007, 01:25 AM
But then again, the atoms makes us, us. Therefor thats what makes us exist? I think lol.

le harry
20-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Without the Atoms there IS no us, so your right. But WE don't exist, the atoms do.

Axel
20-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Hypnotism is bull crap.

Mentor
20-05-2007, 01:43 AM

You think thats confusing, i was talking about this with my girlfriend a while back and according to her she doesn't even have the voice when you think at all, apparently she thinks by just running situations threw in her mine?

But the voice likely isnt true for everyone, someone deaf from birth with no concept of sound would be unable to experience this voice which thinks. So how do they run through this thinking proccess?

Plus as an exorsize try thinking without useing the internal voice you use when you normally think, easyest way is focus on not thinking (useing the voice) every time you nearly do, you can stop yourself. but surely you must be thinking to do this, so the voice seems to be a secondary part to the main thinking process.

My personal opinion on it, is a wired hybrid of functionalism, eliminative materialism and epi phenomalism, in that the thing we see as concuous though is simply a biproduct of the brains normal process, like a self reporting feature which enables us to make higher level judgments, as opposed to dealing with single isolated bits of information and processing that. (A2 philosophy of mind covers this stuff, its very very interesting)

Also the best way to improve your brain functions is simply by useing it.

le harry
20-05-2007, 02:07 AM
My personal opinion on it, is a wired hybrid of functionalism, eliminative materialism and epi phenomalism, in that the thing we see as concuous though is simply a biproduct of the brains normal process, like a self reporting feature which enables us to make higher level judgments, as opposed to dealing with single isolated bits of information and processing that. (A2 philosophy of mind covers this stuff, its very very interesting)

Sure :S:S

RedStratocas
20-05-2007, 02:33 AM
You think thats confusing, i was talking about this with my girlfriend a while back and according to her she doesn't even have the voice when you think at all, apparently she thinks by just running situations threw in her mine?

But the voice likely isnt true for everyone, someone deaf from birth with no concept of sound would be unable to experience this voice which thinks. So how do they run through this thinking proccess?

Plus as an exorsize try thinking without useing the internal voice you use when you normally think, easyest way is focus on not thinking (useing the voice) every time you nearly do, you can stop yourself. but surely you must be thinking to do this, so the voice seems to be a secondary part to the main thinking process.

Dude, you are SO high right now :D

Mentor
20-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Dude, you are SO high right now :D

Nope, thats me completely empty of any addition substances and fully sober. If that changes ill probably end up having solipsism attacks :p

You think thats weird you should try following my philosophy lessons, which always decent in to a debate between the materialists and the duelists. Meta-physical sole my ***....

le harry
20-05-2007, 02:52 AM
I unfortunatly don't even know what your saying :( I understand the concept but.. geez, I don't think Philosiphy is for me when I'm older ;)

Shawnstra
20-05-2007, 05:29 AM
Its just instincts I guess. No way to explain this...

DiscoPat
20-05-2007, 01:18 PM

I was infact thinking about this as well, how do deaf people think, as in do they hear a voice etc, but then again it brings out another debate which is relivent, how do blind people dream?

Surely they have to dream dont they? Because its just somthing that happens, and if somone is blind and deaf, they have absolutely no way of cummunicating with others, so what do they feel? Ofcourse they have the sense of touch and taste but that wont help them to communicate with others, its like as if they are trapped inside and cant get out.

FlyingJesus
20-05-2007, 01:26 PM

Starting A2 in a couple of weeks.. and yeah I definitely agree about the importance of phenomenalism, which can also come into the slighty side-topic in this thread of whether we exist or not. Useful theory really.

As for thinking words in your head, most of the time it's just normal flow of thought etc, but sometimes I get a really annoying version of it where I know what I'm thinking but I try saying the words in my head anyway, and end up repeating myself in my head.. possibly that won't make much sense to people, but if it does and you get that, you'll know it's annoying ^^

Eamonn
20-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I am sure I only have one voice going on in my head O.O
& whoever said hypnotism is 'bullcrap', have you actually experienced it? to make such an accusation ''/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!