PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Guitar Solos?

Ezzie.
22-05-2007, 03:37 PM
What're your greatest guitar solos?

Mine is:

Gary Moore: The Loner:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MwVFYRcgAr8

Led Zeppelin: Stairway To Heaven (live is incredible):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECQbcDanAnU

Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child [Slight Return]:
Dont have the youtube link >_>

YoManGo!
22-05-2007, 04:04 PM
i have a stong hatred of guitar solos. that said, i play guitar.

Ezzie.
22-05-2007, 04:07 PM
i have a stong hatred of guitar solos. that said, i play guitar.

So you hate one of the things the guitar is famous for and one that is used so often yet you play the guitar? :P Guitar solos are used in practically every rock song :S

samsaBEAR
22-05-2007, 04:16 PM
idk what ones in particular i like, but i know i dont like most metal ones. they're just too fast, too high and too repetitive

cocaine
22-05-2007, 04:19 PM
the one at the beginning of guns and roses - sweet child of mine

(if you count that as a solo)

Ezzie.
22-05-2007, 04:33 PM
the one at the beginning of guns and roses - sweet child of mine

(if you count that as a solo)

Yeap thats a solo, which I can play ;) :eusa_whis

and to the dude above, yeah most of the fast paced solos aren't very good, it's just noise.. i like dragonforces solos though

Mr.Sam
22-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Dragon force - Fury of the storm

Hard to tell if it is solo or the in time duo's they do :(

Ed.
22-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah I was gnna say guns n roses - sweet child o' mine

samsaBEAR
22-05-2007, 04:47 PM
ew dragonforce
i do not deny, they are talented, and the guitarists play off each other nicely, but a lot of their songs sound the same, all like 8 minutes long, and half taken by solos. you can sing the words to through the fire and flames to the tune of operation ground and pound. its that similar

summer
22-05-2007, 09:30 PM
ew dragonforce
i do not deny, they are talented, and the guitarists play off each other nicely, but a lot of their songs sound the same, all like 8 minutes long, and half taken by solos.

my thoughts exactly.

& im not really a guitar solo fan. most bands i listen to nowadays don't have them apart from oasis.

~Hilton~
22-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Stairway to heaven.

Also, a lot of moe. songs have some sweet solo's.

So you hate one of the things the guitar is famous for and one that is used so often yet you play the guitar? :P Guitar solos are used in practically every rock song :S

Exactly, maybe he thinks they're overused. Just guessing, but I think they are.

-mark74-
22-05-2007, 10:25 PM
The sweet child of mine intro is a riff,not a solo?

I can't stand dragonforce, awful vocals,most their solos I find boring,there hard to play but they just dont seem good.

Pantera - Cemetary Gates
Van Halen - Eruption
Metallica - One
Metallica - Fade To Black
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Pantera - Walk
Pantera - Psycho Holiday
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
Guns And Roses - Sweet Child Of Mine
Megadeth - Tornado Of Souls
Megadeth - Looking Down The Cross
Judas Priest - Beyond The Realms Of Death
Black Sabbath - War Pigs
Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

There's lots more, probally some other favorites im forgetting.

I love solos :D

Ezzie.
22-05-2007, 10:27 PM
The sweet child of mine intro is a riff,not a solo?

I know.. but I was including all of the types of guitar "solos" within the topic

FlyingJesus
22-05-2007, 10:33 PM
I quite like Dragonforce. I know they're overrated/crap/whatever else you want to say about them, but for a person like myself who often indulges in fantasy, there's nothing quite like a bit of questing music to get you going off into your own world :P

That said, I have to agree with YoManGo about the general nature of solos.. a quick one that simply follows the main tune is fine, but unless you're making entire songs with solos (like Dragonforce) then they get boring. I'd far rather listen to a 2 minute Misfits song with a solo that lasts 20 seconds tops than a 6 minute LedZep song with a 3 minute solo.

Also, I really don't like GnR ^^

Ezzie.
22-05-2007, 10:34 PM
You deblasphemed dragonforce.. then blasphemed Led zepp..
AND GNR

I don't know what to say :(

BL!NKEY
22-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Yeap thats a solo, which I can play ;)

I can play that solo too

On expert

in Guitar Hero

Ezzie.
22-05-2007, 10:43 PM
I can play that solo too

On expert

in Guitar Hero

Eugh.. what is it with theese people thinking they're rock gods when they tap buttons! :P

BL!NKEY
22-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Eugh.. what is it with theese people thinking they're rock gods when they tap buttons! :P

Have you ever played it?

It is the best game ever because it makes you feel like you are actually rocking out.

Kyzy
22-05-2007, 10:46 PM
I really like the solo on November Rain - G'nR:eusa_dancftw.

Ezzie.
22-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Have you ever played it?

It is the best game ever because it makes you feel like you are actually rocking out.

Nope, I play a REAL guitar and ACTUALLY rock out :P

FlyingJesus
22-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Have you ever played it?

If it weren't for the spack in Discuss Anything being active at the moment, that would have easily been the funniest thing I've heard in a while ^^

In a good way, don't worry :P

RedStratocas
22-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I wouldnt say I hate guitar solos, they just have to be used properly. For most of history, songs with solos go like this:

Verse/chorus/verse/chorus/HXC SOLO/Chorus.

They're always so expected. Pretty much every guitar solo pre-1990 bores the hell out of me. It's like "great, you can move your fingers fast". No one cares.

Which is why my favorite guitarists are people who try to bend what has always been thought of as the correct way to play guitar. People like Tom Morello and Jonny Greenwood, and Graham Coxon; I love them because they're making a different type of sound with an instrument that's been here all along. Im a guitarist myself, Ive been playing for almost 4 years now, and Im sick of all the Slash idolization (even though I like the guy)

Anyway, that's my rant. I do listen to songs with "solos" but I dont really think of them as solos, because I dont really think of them as seperate from the song.

Ezzie.
22-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Jimmy Page solos, Hendrix solos, Morello solos are fantastic imo, and yeah I like Slash too but he's not the greatest guitarist of all time >_>

RedStratocas
22-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Jimmy Page solos, Hendrix solos, Morello solos are fantastic imo, and yeah I like Slash too but he's not the greatest guitarist of all time >_>

I respect all the above mentioned because at the time they were revolutionary. Though all, with the exception of Morello, still bore me.

FlyingJesus
22-05-2007, 10:56 PM
I play a pretty mean Em7. It's difficult, honest.

JoeyK.
23-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Pretty much anything Randy Rhodes came out with.

-mark74-
23-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Pretty much anything Randy Rhodes came out with.

Yeah, he made alot of great solos.

Crazy Train
Mr.Crowley
Diary Of A Madman
Flying High Again
Goodbye To Romance

Too bad ozzy can't sing :(

YoManGo!
23-05-2007, 09:00 PM

i don't listen to what is labelled "rock", so why would i feel any need to compel myself to a rock styling?

that said, the solo in "for someone so easy going, you sure wear pants a lot" by latterman is absolutely class. everything about that song is so positive and fun and amazing.

but in general, guitar solos suck.

I'd far rather listen to a 2 minute Misfits song with a solo that lasts 20 seconds tops than a 6 minute LedZep song with a 3 minute solo.

the little 2 note solo at the end of horror business is ftw!

You deblasphemed dragonforce.. then blasphemed Led zepp..
AND GNR

I don't know what to say :(

led zep deserve respect. even if they bore the crap out of me.
guns n roses do suck though. they had one fun album and a bunch of ***** and a lot of waiting. how anything with so little product can be "classic" rock is beyond me.

i also hate most old music and music labelled as classic. respect the past and live in the now.

JoeyK.
23-05-2007, 09:24 PM
i don't listen to what is labelled "rock", so why would i feel any need to compel myself to a rock styling?

that said, the solo in "for someone so easy going, you sure wear pants a lot" by latterman is absolutely class. everything about that song is so positive and fun and amazing.

but in general, guitar solos suck.

the little 2 note solo at the end of horror business is ftw!

led zep deserve respect. even if they bore the crap out of me.
guns n roses do suck though. they had one fun album and a bunch of ***** and a lot of waiting. how anything with so little product can be "classic" rock is beyond me.

i also hate most old music and music labelled as classic. respect the past and live in the now.
Going to have to agree, Guns N' Roses are really one of the most overrated bands ever... A few good songs, but other than that mostly crap imo ;l

YoManGo!
23-05-2007, 09:33 PM
gnr have actually probably sold more tshirts than albums. i know it seems hypocritical with the fact that im a huge misfits fan, but at least whilst jerry only continues to turn the band in one huge brand, he's still making (albeit terrible) music. gnr are very much image and very little actual music.

ark alost
04-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Nope, I play a REAL guitar and ACTUALLY rock out :P
you will slap me most likely for this but the game is good. i can play reasl guitar up to grade 4 standard atm. oh and mine would be crazy train, free bird and bark at the moon (both solos are ace)

CrazyColaist
04-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Good charlotte - emotinaless.

Jack.
04-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Pantera - Domination
Metallica - One

Amazing solos.

Ezzie.
05-08-2007, 11:37 AM
I've been listening to heartbreaker, can play the first bit to it but wanna play the rest of it but the solo in the middle is fantastic.

distraction
05-08-2007, 08:25 PM
my favourites;;

weezer;; 'only in dreams' - rivers cuomo
blur;; 'coffee & tv' - graham coxon

velvet
05-08-2007, 08:59 PM
the solo in Seize the Day by Avenged Sevenfold is probably my favourite.

WiLLCoHeN
07-08-2007, 06:31 AM
yyz by Rush

The Whole Song is amazing and Full of Bass and Guitar Solos

RedStratocas
07-08-2007, 02:04 PM
yawn @ pretty much all guitar solos.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!