PDA

View Full Version : i'm thinking about..

-Soph-
24-05-2007, 01:02 PM
right as you know, when I can drive i'm getting my dads truck.

from driving yourself, do you think it would be better off to get a small car as my first vehicle?

I don't know how i'm going to pay for gas and insurance for the truck, its pretty big.. (4.6 liter V8)

especially now as the gas prices are going up in the US (I know no where near prices in the UK.. but you get me)

What would you say?

I'm not going to be driving it a lot, just so i can hang out with my friends and back and fro to school... (which is about 3 miles away)

:Hazel
24-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I'd DEFINATELY reccomend a smaller vehicle to learn in and for when you pass your test. You need to get used to manueovres & parking techniques and the best way to do this is t learn and start off in a smaller car. I am only just becoming confident with parking now & i passed nearly a year ago.

hobo
24-05-2007, 02:07 PM
you should deffo get a smaller one.
for reasons hazel said.

& a smaller engine would mean lower insurance, and it would use less gas.

-Soph-
25-05-2007, 05:34 AM
but I know if I get a smaller car i'm only going to keep it for a year or so.. and the truck does look sexy.

:Hazel
25-05-2007, 02:04 PM
it doesnt matter, just sell the smaller one after you feel confident to drive the truck. otherwise your just jumping in at the deep end.

Azul
25-05-2007, 02:07 PM
For me most cars drive the same, whatever the size, you just gotta obviously be more carful with manoeuvres with a bigger car.

Metric.
26-05-2007, 03:18 PM
For me most cars drive the same, whatever the size, you just gotta obviously be more carful with manoeuvres with a bigger car.

not so much..

you should buy like a 99 jetta or something like that?

Jin
26-05-2007, 09:14 PM
This is kind of difficult to say, living in the UK, I cant compare what our insurance is like to yours etc.

But from a british POV.

A smaller car would be ideal as you have just passed and insurance will be high and experience at a low. It will be easier to have a feel for the car and probably easier to control, though saying that your parking spaces and roads are wider.

Also a small car will be cheap to run and when it comes to maintainence it will be cheaper to fix. As your new, you are bound to have an accident, not exactly a crash resulting into total carnage on the freeway (did I say that right?) but backing into a wall or shopping trolley etc and I doubt you would want it to be in the "sexy truck"

The main benefits are,

Easy to run
Cheap to run
cheap to fix
Cheap insurance
Better fuel economy
Better feeling of not killing the world

and it would probably be better to get a smaller run around car. After the first year, ditch it if you must and get the truck, your insurance will be cheaper and hopefully the fuel prices will have lowered by then.

Dentafrice♥
26-05-2007, 09:15 PM
smaller

-Soph-
13-06-2007, 07:54 AM
I think i'm getting a jeep wrangler now, just a bit smaller.

oh, and when I said the truck was a 4.6 liter, it's not, it's a 5.8 liter.

Desjardens
15-06-2007, 08:40 PM
but I know if I get a smaller car i'm only going to keep it for a year or so.. and the truck does look sexy.

If its a Yukon, you want to keep it!

Energizer
15-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I'd get a smaller car, cheaper innit.

DiscoPat
16-06-2007, 02:30 PM
monster truck ftw

Desjardens
16-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Since you are from the states, you have relitively the same picking choices I do... I would definitely suggest you get a new car, something smaller and more practical. I am leaning towards a VW City Jetta myself.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!