PDA

View Full Version : [RDJP] Release Source Code?

QuickScriptz
25-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey All,

I have been considering this for awhile now... I'm not really sure if I am actually going to do it as I have seen plenty of people ripping off my other scripts and this one lately... so I need some advice....

Put aside your feelings about "I just plain want everything free/opensource" for a minute and give me the honest pros/cons that you could see in releasing the full source code?

Thanks and all comments welcome :)

YouFail
25-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Pros:

Opensource rocks
Personally like to see how people code things

Cons:

Rip offs claimed as own work
A lot won't understand what is the point in this

Thats just a REALLY quick and rough point.

Blob
25-05-2007, 07:44 PM
PHP should be shared, or they shouldnt share it with you.

Recursion
25-05-2007, 07:46 PM
PHP is open source - So should the scripts. Just include a GPL License or something?

Mentor
25-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I cant see any real benifit in releacing the source code in your circumstances the webdesign community here is to diluted to provide any of the benifical effects it may else where. At best you'll probably get a few rippers.
But thats just my sinical opinion.

Blob
25-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Also - I dont care if you dont want people nicking your php.. How the hell do you think php.net came over it? GPL License.

Recursion
25-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Also - I dont care if you dont want people nicking your php.. How the hell do you think php.net came over it? GPL License.

I already said to use GPL :P http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Mentor
25-05-2007, 07:49 PM

Of course you dont care, its not your hard work and time that went in to the damned thing is it :rolleyes:

Blob
25-05-2007, 07:50 PM
And I can say it if I want? I wasnt saying to get a GPL, I was saying the php.net has a GPL.

God my brain hurts (why im in a mood)

Recursion
25-05-2007, 07:54 PM
OK - lets put our differences aside ;)

Ontopic:

Pros:
People will edit it for their own site - will get more users
Skinnable
Modable

Cons:
Rippers.

-::Mr.Dave::-
25-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Opensource ftw

Edited by NintendoNews (Forum Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly.

Recursion
25-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Opensource ftw

Edited by NintendoNews (Forum Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly.

I don't see how thats pointless tbh.

On topic:

Go for it, like I and blob said use the GPL License :)

QuickScriptz
25-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your opinions! +rep to some ;)

Now as for my actual thoughts on this.... I am going to be making v4 of the panel over the summer (hopefully) so what I might do is instead of releasing v3 opensource just doing v4 totally opensource instead?

I dunno... lol.. I might also look into the GPL License - but I currently like my Creative Commons (click to view (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ca/)).

Recursion
25-05-2007, 08:38 PM
CC is good too :)

Invent
25-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Opensource FTW.

Oh and what happened to livePanel or w/e?

QuickScriptz
25-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Oh ya... that thing ;)

Well me and Dan kinda got started on the project but at the time we started I was tied up and only working minimally on it - and for some reason Dan seems to like to constantly change the location of the panel so my FTP accounts always randomly stop working and whatnot so im not sure when/if it will infact come :S

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!