PDA

View Full Version : WIP Thybag 6 - Feedback wanted (i know its crap)

Mentor
27-05-2007, 11:09 PM
As anyone who knows of me probably already knows, i suck majorly at graphics. Still id quite like for thybag 6 to suck as little as possible in looks, so im posting what ive got, here to see if i can get any decent C&C. (possibly advice on how to do things also (i REALLY suck with graphics))

You can see my basic idea, here:
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2412/thy7prevbigmd5.jpg

Now my problem comes when i actualy try to create it in a way where its not completely ****.. So far i don't think im managing that, but heres what i got anyway...
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/750/thy62prebf3.jpg

Note:
> I already know its crap.
> Any advice, ideas, input, etc will be helpful.
> Telling me how to do something is even more helpful than just telling me to do it.
> it will be fluid when coded so fit to screen bar a small margin at edges.
> Banner space probably wont be that colour, at the moment its just a place holder. Advice on shape/edges still would be nice if you have it though.

Thanks for any advice.

Colin-Roberts
27-05-2007, 11:17 PM
if you let me use that image and some images of the current thybag i could try and wipe something up for you?
or if you can explain what you want i may be able to help too.

Invent
27-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I think Carl wants to make it 100% by himself.

The overall `layout` is nice Carl.

As for the template (graphics) they aren't so great, the font's could do with a change and some of the borders need changing a little bit.

Mentor
27-05-2007, 11:31 PM
I think Carl wants to make it 100% by himself.

The overall `layout` is nice Carl.

As for the template (graphics) they aren't so great, the font's could do with a change and some of the borders need changing a little bit.
Anything more specific, as my main problem is really that i dont know how to do things, rather than not knowing what things need to be done "/

My graphics knowledge/experience is minuscule, so im pretty much a complete noob when it comes to this sort of stuff "/

CHTom
27-05-2007, 11:33 PM
lol, it seems you took the same intrest as me - more of the coding side of things then graphics design :P

Mentor
27-05-2007, 11:42 PM
lol, it seems you took the same intrest as me - more of the coding side of things then graphics design :P
Yea, the codings easy, graphics... not so much. But learning to do graphics that don't suck is my main aim for this holiday, as it would be useful to get em up to scratch :p

Any links to decent tutorials would also be nice, plus advice on how to go about making it look less like an elephant sat on it could be useful to.

RYANNNNN
27-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I like the mockup, it has great potential. Although as you've said yourself, your design skills aren't as good as your coding skills. I think you should get a good designer to finish it off based on the mockup.

:Liam
28-05-2007, 12:13 AM
is the second spoiler tag meant to be empty :P

Mentor
28-05-2007, 12:46 AM
is the second spoiler tag meant to be empty :P
It shouldnt be, although its quite a large image so may take a while to load ?

I like the mockup, it has great potential. Although as you've said yourself, your design skills aren't as good as your coding skills. I think you should get a good designer to finish it off based on the mockup.
Thanks, although id really prefer to do it myself. My design skills are never going to get any better unless i work on them, so just getting someone else to do it aint really constructive IMO.

myke
28-05-2007, 08:08 AM
There's nothing wrong with that!

I actually love it. ;D

Nice one dudeee.

Oni
28-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Reverse the gradient on the username box, some of the borders are too thick and in my opinion the bluey turquoise doesnt go with the grey border. Other than that its pretty good carl.

Luckyrare
28-05-2007, 09:15 AM
The layout/setout is good, the boxes style lacks anything. Maybe some type of a metal effect or a gradient? Also the corners dont look right. Keep working on it ;)

Recursion
28-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Mockup - Good

Layout - Mmmm not so great, it just needs those extra unexplainable touches. I like the current one layout on thybag.co.uk, who did that?

Oni
28-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Mockup - Good

Layout - Mmmm not so great, it just needs those extra unexplainable touches. I like the current one layout on thybag.co.uk, who did that?
Liking the sig by the way ;)

Sygon..
28-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Heres what i came up with when i was talking to carl, not too good either:

http://www.uploadz.co.uk/700sofar.jpg

:Liam
28-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I can see it now. I personally like it. If you need any help send me a pm :P

:Edzy
28-05-2007, 12:22 PM
i think it looks well good sketch style

i'm sure u can make it ace

Sam
28-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I think if Carl just found some decent fonts and used some gradients and slight shadows it would look fine.

Andys
28-05-2007, 01:13 PM
The plan looks nice, good luck.

Invent
28-05-2007, 01:15 PM
As I've already said the mock up is great, just get some new fonts and change some of the colours to mix better.

Oh and Andy, the PHP in your sig is wrong :P

Andys
28-05-2007, 01:26 PM
omgz it cnt be

Aflux
28-05-2007, 03:06 PM
I feel that thybag should move on in the web industry and go modern.

Just my view though.

Mentor
28-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I feel that thybag should move on in the web industry and go modern.

Just my view though.
Urmm, what do you man by "go modern" ?

Reverse the gradient on the username box, some of the borders are too thick and in my opinion the bluey turquoise doesnt go with the grey border. Other than that its pretty good carl.
Ok, ill try that :), any suggestions as to a colour that would fit though ?

The layout/setout is good, the boxes style lacks anything. Maybe some type of a metal effect or a gradient? Also the corners dont look right. Keep working on it ;)

Mockup - Good

As I've already said the mock up is great, just get some new fonts and change some of the colours to mix better.

Oh and Andy, the PHP in your sig is wrong :P
I think if Carl just found some decent fonts and used some gradients and slight shadows it would look fine.

thanks for the feedback people, any suggestion on fonts though? Also my main problem is really figureing out how to do shadow/lighting, colouration properly, epecaly with corners.
Does anyone know of an existing layout that has a simlar style i can take a look at to gage roughly how the effect works?

Thanks to everyone else who offered feedback as well, its all helpful :)

Aflux
28-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I hate myself for saying this but, web 2.0.

Recursion
28-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Liking the sig by the way ;)

Thanks ;)

Oni
28-05-2007, 07:09 PM
CENTURY GOTHIC!!!

News-Reporter
28-05-2007, 07:13 PM
i said i didnt like the layout and it should be more pink because it is offensive to gays because no pink!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!