PDA

View Full Version : bunsen burner omg lol

Redmoon Evil
05-06-2007, 07:39 PM
This happened ages ago back when I was at school but I just remembered it :P

Is it possible to blow the school up if you set fire to the gas tap without a bunsen on, have I made this thread before? I can't remember lol anyway In year 8 I did that and got caught and the teacher said I could of killed us all and I left a black triangle on the desk.

weird thing is I only got 30mins DT for it, tinking back now I would of expected exclusion.

Aflux
05-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Yes, it would probably implode?

mangle
05-06-2007, 07:43 PM
LOL!
Our school someone shoved magnesium into the bit where they light , we lit our flame and almost blinded our class :P

Plank
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
my teacher done this once, it didn't explode, it just really had the same effect as a bunsen burner but blowing to the side (the way the gas tap was pointing)

Jamie!
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
everyone says it could blow back into the pipes and explode if you light the tap bit, but according to my chemistry teacher, it won't.

VPSwow
05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
No it wouldnt unless the gas tap had auto shut off, which it might do with it been in a school. Because the flame would get sucked in.

Redmoon Evil
05-06-2007, 07:48 PM
it feels so weird saying bunsen burner aswell havn't had to say it in ages lmao, thanks all :P reps coming around

Putal
06-06-2007, 07:20 AM
We always used to shuv things up the gas taps, we wern't stupid enough to try and set the bloody thing on fire though lol :P - I don't think the school would blow up but maybe all the science labs if they're all linked together.

Breakfloor
06-06-2007, 07:46 AM
well, my school has 3 old classes with about 10 gas taps in them and theyre OLD OLD. my chemistry teacher said..

"only use the bunsen burners on these taps because the flame would follow the gas through the tap. just like a deoderant can)

clarissa !!
06-06-2007, 07:48 AM
we aint allowed to use the bunsen burners at school anymore

Soka
06-06-2007, 07:55 AM
ye because our chemistry teacher said it happened before because someone turned all the gas taps on all around the room and left it so if someone would have lit a match or something anywhere in the room it would of gone bang

but not blow the school up

:Hazel
06-06-2007, 09:05 AM
people are probs afraid of being sued, thats why alot of schools don't use them now.

Soka
06-06-2007, 09:16 AM
people are probs afraid of being sued, thats why alot of schools don't use them now.

my school is a science status so it wud be stupid not to have bunsens :P

stratosphere
06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Isn't it Propane gas in the taps?

Sammeth.
06-06-2007, 02:10 PM
It wouldnt go back in to the pipes, as the gas is blowing out. Its just the same as lighting a bunsen burner. You may aswell say that the flames would go "back into the burner, down the pipe and into the tap" It wouldnt happen, so why would it if its just a tap?

Well anyway, a similar thing happened in my school. The person knocked out their burner, and it fell over, still lit as there was gas left in the burner, and fell onto the gas tap. Just had a flame thrower effect, and my teacher pressed the emergency stop button.

Jõnathan
06-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Someone licked a gas tap at our school

cocaine
06-06-2007, 04:36 PM
our school still has bunsen burner gas taps in all the sciene classrooms.

Carlos
06-06-2007, 04:38 PM
they had bunsens at my old school.

Liam!
06-06-2007, 05:07 PM
some aren't allowed to even use them? srsly.. how do you do experiments.

a few of them in my classes don't work cos people shove things up it.

Charlie
06-06-2007, 05:19 PM
We just used the wooden stickie thigns that you used to light them, broke them into pieces and make like a mini bonfire on the desk with 'em.

Oh, and then you'd have some kids thinking they were cool because they were smoking paper.

indian8132
06-06-2007, 05:35 PM
We have bunsen burners in out geography rooms on normal tables because we recently had rooms moved about etc. We dont use them though, but I wonder if we switched them on and it was connected to gas it would still work? Or is there like a safety switch to stop it even with gas connected?

Liam!
06-06-2007, 05:40 PM
We have bunsen burners in out geography rooms on normal tables because we recently had rooms moved about etc. We dont use them though, but I wonder if we switched them on and it was connected to gas it would still work? Or is there like a safety switch to stop it even with gas connected?
They have to unlock it(with a key) for it to work. In my S.E class it's a science class so it's always on.

stratosphere
06-06-2007, 07:12 PM
We just used the wooden stickie thigns that you used to light them, broke them into pieces and make like a mini bonfire on the desk with 'em.

Oh, and then you'd have some kids thinking they were cool because they were smoking paper.

You get kids thinking they're cool because they smoke leaves round here.

timROGERS
06-06-2007, 07:18 PM
We have bunsen burners - I got moaned at by everyone yesterday because I randomly decided to turn the tap on.

Also, in the same lesson we were starting of GCSE Biology, and we were doing about energy in food. We had to burn foods, and I burnt this pringle, and it turned into this mini fireball. Annoyingly, we had to stop the experiment :(

Mentor
06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Probably would explode.

bunsom burners, work by burning flamable gas. u leave tap on, room fills with flamable gas... Guess what happens to that gass if u light a match, or turn a new bunson on.... BANG?

Shawnstra
07-06-2007, 04:26 AM
Well, we burned magnesium as part of our experiments before, that was cool :P The trouble maker in my class took like 10 over magnesium strips and burned it :rolleyes: He got detention.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!