PDA

View Full Version : Best free forum?

Jõnathan
07-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Could anyone tell me the forum system that has the best ease of use?
Like, it's easy to make categories and things like that.

@xP
08-06-2007, 06:57 AM
www.editboard.com (http://www.editboard.com)

Basic simple and can make easy basic skins, forums and category's.
i have made a few on there if you would like examples?

Carlos
08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
http://www.proboards.com/ is pretty good :)

Easy to use and free.

redtom
09-06-2007, 10:52 AM
zetaboards.com there in beta but its ahead of there current competition, and for the people who don't know this is the new version of the popular invisionfree (invisionfree.com)

http://s7.invisionfree.com/in/register.php - register an invisionfree board

http://beta.zetaboards.com/in/board_reg.php - register a Zetaboard

But because zeta is in beta so the boards will be closed after beta, but if you forum becomes big then I'm sure they would transfer the data to the new sever and version for you.

Putal
09-06-2007, 10:53 AM
InvisionFree :]

Nixt
09-06-2007, 11:01 AM
zetaboards.com there in beta but its ahead of there current competition, and for the people who don't know this is the new version of the popular invisionfree (invisionfree.com)

http://s7.invisionfree.com/in/register.php - register an invisionfree board

http://beta.zetaboards.com/in/board_reg.php - register a Zetaboard

But because zeta is in beta so the boards will be closed after beta, but if you forum becomes big then I'm sure they would transfer the data to the new sever and version for you.

I'd personally register an IF board, which is relatively easy to use and of a high quality anyway and that when when Zeta comes out of the Beta stages you can upgrade your IF board to Zetaboards :)!

Lubricant
09-06-2007, 12:27 PM
I think SMF is a really nice free forum.

Leprachaun--X
09-06-2007, 12:28 PM
I dont like invision free forums.

Especially because the url is just silly.

@xP
09-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I dont like invision free forums.

Especially because the url is just silly.

you just get a .co.nr domain for free.

dannyisnotamazing
09-06-2007, 02:33 PM
myBB is pretty good i thinks

Jõnathan
09-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Is Activeboard any good?
Someone's made one, and I was wondering if it's the best or not...

@xP
09-06-2007, 02:51 PM

Yeah, is has a mini rep system and you can upload to host and use your own domain.

Is Activeboard any good?
Someone's made one, and I was wondering if it's the best or not...

tbh i don't know. post me a link to the one that someone made. i would like to see.

Jõnathan
09-06-2007, 03:20 PM
tbh i don't know. post me a link to the one that someone made. i would like to see.
http://sod.activeboard.com/
It's in its early stages of making though.
The guy who owns it says he's going to update it over the weekend.

@xP
09-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I'll add to my favs. you can't realy tell whats it's like to you register and post ;)

Jõnathan
09-06-2007, 06:18 PM
I'll add to my favs. you can't realy tell whats it's like to you register and post ;)
Yeah; I think it was a design fault LOL

Cool--
10-06-2007, 12:49 PM
MyBB i like.

Im uploading to ftp now..

It is a bit hard to upload tho if you dno bout Ftp and that,

Carlos
10-06-2007, 04:20 PM

myBB is also good :)

Jõnathan
10-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I used invisionfree for my forum :)

Splinter
10-06-2007, 07:16 PM
MyBB i like.

Im uploading to ftp now..

It is a bit hard to upload tho if you dno bout Ftp and that,

Ye drag and drop is solid in my opinion.

Jõnathan
11-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I asked the school nerd (seriously, he made a 28 page site about Warhammer which had Flash and CSS in for his OCR project), and he said that it's easy to hack into InvisionFree.

What does anyone think of this?

Hecktix
11-06-2007, 05:05 PM
http://www.habbomet.co.uk

^^ is an example of a Habbo-style IF board.

I like it. It's easy to use, AdminCP is a babe.

Really easy.

As for the hacking thing, we've been running for 9 months, got nearly 700 members and haven't been hacked :S

Nixt
11-06-2007, 05:08 PM
As long as you are careful I don't really see the risk of hacking any different from any other account you might own. The only real problem I see with IF is the Spam bots that you get when you get popular, they can be deadly annoying. However there are plenty of measures you can take to stop those, so it's all good :)!

Hecktix
11-06-2007, 05:10 PM
As long as you are careful I don't really see the risk of hacking any different from any other account you might own. The only real problem I see with IF is the Spam bots that you get when you get popular, they can be deadly annoying. However there are plenty of measures you can take to stop those, so it's all good :)!

babe our spam bots came after we got the domain.

Nixt
11-06-2007, 05:11 PM
babe our spam bots came after we got the domain.

He might have a domain and we had them before that too, though not quite as many.

Hoax
11-06-2007, 10:47 PM
*REMOVED*

Edited by Nick. (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post links to inappropriate images.

Invent
11-06-2007, 11:48 PM
[off-topic] Lol, hey Matt. Ain't spoken to you in like ages :P

Edited by Bomb-Head (Super Moderator): Please don't post off-topic, thanks :)

PappaLou
15-06-2007, 09:29 PM
XMB

www.xmbforum.com

VistaBoy
16-06-2007, 09:02 AM
I Would say XMB

and maybe mybb but i do not like them a lot as their skins are held in the database and runs the sql server up a lot well did with me.

Justify
16-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, VB Lite, its free;]

Mentor
25-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Id have to put IF as the best remotly hosted free solution, its also what i personally used to use before transferring the forum to my own host.

As for a solution u can host yourself, personally im still partial to ipb products although Phpbb Olympus also looks to be a good choice. Smf is ok but last time i used them they had a pretty basic templateing system and a number of functionality issues.

Jõnathan: Id suggest finding a better nerd, rather than just the wanna be. A proper nerd is requred to be smart as opposed to a braindead prat who aint got a clue what there talking about. If isnt easyer to hack than any of solution and social enginering is to do with a boards admin being an idiot, not to do with poor software.

Jamesy
25-06-2007, 06:38 AM
i use PhPBB. It runs quiet well and the admin board is easy to use. There are also plenty of mods for it out there

Jõnathan
25-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Jõnathan: Id suggest finding a better nerd, rather than just the wanna be. A proper nerd is requred to be smart as opposed to a braindead prat who aint got a clue what there talking about. If isnt easyer to hack than any of solution and social enginering is to do with a boards admin being an idiot, not to do with poor software.
Yeah - I thought about what he had said and I was like "HOW????"
Plus his 28-page OCR website (which got an A) was on WARHAMMER, which is okay (I don't play it) but he's addicted over it i.e. if you moved a tank the wrong amount of inches he'd be like "ER THAT TANK MOVES 12 INCHES COS I KNOW EVRYFING ABOUT WARHAMMER LOLZOZLZOZLZOZ!!!!1111111"
Plus IF is well easy to use - I was like "er wth is a category" when I first did it, but now I know :)

Mentor
26-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah - I thought about what he had said and I was like "HOW????"
Plus his 28-page OCR website (which got an A) was on WARHAMMER, which is okay (I don't play it) but he's addicted over it i.e. if you moved a tank the wrong amount of inches he'd be like "ER THAT TANK MOVES 12 INCHES COS I KNOW EVRYFING ABOUT WARHAMMER LOLZOZLZOZLZOZ!!!!1111111"
Plus IF is well easy to use - I was like "er wth is a category" when I first did it, but now I know :)

Really? its the permissions that confuse most people when there new to an ipb, even with IF's version.

Plus, war hammer aint that bad, the game itself is pretty boaring though i gotta admit, my interest now only lies with modding to models in to custom characters :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!